Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup Record 18:13 - Jan 6 with 9733 viewsdalelee

Reaching the 4th round 4 times in the past 5 seasons is a fantastic achievement.

Surely this is the best record in our history? It must also compare favourably with other lower division clubs?

I really hope we now get a plum tie. Rochdale vs Liverpool/Man C/Man U live on the beeb on Friday night would be amazing.
FA Cup Record on 12:36 - Jan 7 with 2389 viewsSaxonDale

FA Cup Record on 12:06 - Jan 7 by boromat

And it was once said that Keith Hill doesn't do cups 😂

In fairness I think that was a very reasonable comment at one point!
FA Cup Record on 12:58 - Jan 7 with 2356 viewssouthealingdale

Is fifth round in 1990 and 2003 the furthest we have ever got?

@upthedale on Twitter

FA Cup Record on 13:03 - Jan 7 with 2348 viewsTVOS1907

FA Cup Record on 12:58 - Jan 7 by southealingdale

Is fifth round in 1990 and 2003 the furthest we have ever got?

Yes

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

FA Cup Record on 13:24 - Jan 7 with 2299 viewsD_Alien

FA Cup Record on 12:05 - Jan 7 by TVOS1907

Seven now.

If that was plotted on a graph it'd look like the Loch Ness Monster

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

FA Cup Record on 13:31 - Jan 7 with 2281 viewsShun

FA Cup Record on 13:24 - Jan 7 by D_Alien

I think possibly my favourite observation on here.
FA Cup Record on 14:01 - Jan 7 with 2255 viewsTVOS1907

That's a bit of a 'curve' ball comment.

FA Cup Record on 14:03 - Jan 7 with 2248 viewspioneer

FA Cup Record on 12:05 - Jan 7 by TVOS1907

Seven now.

I think we made the equivalent of the fourth round, that is the last 32, back in 1914 or thereabouts. I am away at the moment so cannot check. We lost to Oldham, i think 3-0 when they were one of the top teams.
FA Cup Record on 14:05 - Jan 7 with 2242 viewsTVOS1907

FA Cup Record on 14:03 - Jan 7 by pioneer

I think we made the equivalent of the fourth round, that is the last 32, back in 1914 or thereabouts. I am away at the moment so cannot check. We lost to Oldham, i think 3-0 when they were one of the top teams.

Round two in 1914/15.

Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup Record on 14:07 - Jan 7 with 2238 viewsD_Alien

FA Cup Record on 14:01 - Jan 7 by TVOS1907

That's a bit of a 'curve' ball comment.

Aye,on a football forum it should be more about who-ate-all-the-pie charts

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

FA Cup Record on 14:15 - Jan 7 with 2223 viewssouthealingdale

by a quick check I think that the only four teams still in the draw we haven't played ever are WBA, West Ham, Tottenham and Newcastle.

Be good to get one of those.

@upthedale on Twitter

FA Cup Record on 15:46 - Jan 7 with 2166 viewspioneer

FA Cup Record on 14:05 - Jan 7 by TVOS1907

Round two in 1914/15.

But it was the last 32 teams so the equivalent of round 4. Round 4 that year was the QF.

Whats in a name!

More cup wins than league wins this season..jekyl and hyde.
FA Cup Record on 16:54 - Jan 7 with 2078 viewsDaleiLama

Presumably team selection would be best depicted on a scatter plot.

Enough to drive one down to the bar chart.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

FA Cup Record on 17:49 - Jan 7 with 1991 viewsscarrow

Won't be a trip to arsenal as the holders crash out. Any of those 4 would be good. Yeovil... Newport... Manchester city... Manchester United... or will it be Peterborough?

Poll: Final position

FA Cup Record on 18:29 - Jan 7 with 1917 viewsIknoweverything

FA Cup Record on 16:54 - Jan 7 by DaleiLama

Presumably team selection would be best depicted on a scatter plot.

Enough to drive one down to the bar chart.

Gawd, you’re about as funny as grit in Vaseline.
FA Cup Record on 18:43 - Jan 7 with 1902 viewsTVOS1907

FA Cup Record on 15:46 - Jan 7 by pioneer

But it was the last 32 teams so the equivalent of round 4. Round 4 that year was the QF.

Whats in a name!

More cup wins than league wins this season..jekyl and hyde.

I don't think the FA Cup of 1914/15 is the same competition as it is in 2017/18.

Like you say, though, what's in a name?

FA Cup Record on 19:03 - Jan 7 with 1870 viewsDaleiLama

FA Cup Record on 18:29 - Jan 7 by Iknoweverything

Gawd, you’re about as funny as grit in Vaseline.

If anyone who brought anything of any value to the forum had made that comment I would have been concerned.

FA Cup Record on 19:22 - Jan 7 with 1844 viewsIknoweverything

FA Cup Record on 19:03 - Jan 7 by DaleiLama

If anyone who brought anything of any value to the forum had made that comment I would have been concerned.

Just my opinion. I find your posts unfunny and boring. You can see the same about mine. It’s okay.
FA Cup Record on 19:37 - Jan 7 with 1814 viewsDaleiLama

FA Cup Record on 19:22 - Jan 7 by Iknoweverything

Just my opinion. I find your posts unfunny and boring. You can see the same about mine. It’s okay.

I find the invective you bring to the forum extremely unpleasant and distasteful. You seem to be a very angry person who wishes to agitate other posters to encourage conflict. I'll save you the bother with me. I'll block your comments after I've posted this - never had to do that with another poster until now. No need to reply as I won't see it. Please block me too. As you pointed out, it's okay.

FA Cup Record on 19:40 - Jan 7 with 1801 viewsIknoweverything

FA Cup Record on 19:37 - Jan 7 by DaleiLama

I find the invective you bring to the forum extremely unpleasant and distasteful. You seem to be a very angry person who wishes to agitate other posters to encourage conflict. I'll save you the bother with me. I'll block your comments after I've posted this - never had to do that with another poster until now. No need to reply as I won't see it. Please block me too. As you pointed out, it's okay.

Bye.
FA Cup Record on 20:24 - Jan 7 with 1753 viewsdawlishdale

FA Cup Record on 19:40 - Jan 7 by Iknoweverything

Bye.

He'll still be able to see your other posts though.
FA Cup Record on 22:01 - Jan 7 with 1635 viewspioneer

FA Cup Record on 18:43 - Jan 7 by TVOS1907

I don't think the FA Cup of 1914/15 is the same competition as it is in 2017/18.

Like you say, though, what's in a name?

or the same as it was in 1971 for that matter, but if we are considering how many times we got to the last 32 iit must count surely. Would you have us not count getting to the league cup final because its a different competition now?
FA Cup Record on 22:10 - Jan 7 with 1612 viewsTVOS1907

FA Cup Record on 22:01 - Jan 7 by pioneer

or the same as it was in 1971 for that matter, but if we are considering how many times we got to the last 32 iit must count surely. Would you have us not count getting to the league cup final because its a different competition now?

If we reached the League Cup Final now it would be a greater achievement than it was in 1962 because of the other competing clubs. Look at who Bradford had to beat to get there.

Point is, there is now such a huge disparity between the top clubs and the likes of Dale, that reaching the last 32/round 4/round 2/what's in a name, is a more worthy and difficult achievement in 2018 than it was in 1915, 1971 and 1990.

You could also throw non-league clubs into this mix. This season was the first for 67 years with no non-league clubs left beyond round two.

And to go back to the original question; it was just 'round four', not 'last 32'.

FA Cup Record on 22:26 - Jan 7 with 1579 viewspioneer

FA Cup Record on 22:10 - Jan 7 by TVOS1907

If we reached the League Cup Final now it would be a greater achievement than it was in 1962 because of the other competing clubs. Look at who Bradford had to beat to get there.

Point is, there is now such a huge disparity between the top clubs and the likes of Dale, that reaching the last 32/round 4/round 2/what's in a name, is a more worthy and difficult achievement in 2018 than it was in 1915, 1971 and 1990.

You could also throw non-league clubs into this mix. This season was the first for 67 years with no non-league clubs left beyond round two.

And to go back to the original question; it was just 'round four', not 'last 32'.

and how far did non league clubs get last season and how many years since they had got that far?

I think you are selecting your years to support your point.

we reached the last thirty two this year by beating two non league clubs and a team from the third tier...what makes that more of an achievement compared to 1990, 1971 or 1915 or any other year outside of what you consider to be relevant comparisons.

Why is it so much harder now when many of the top teams dont take it seriously and play their reserves?
FA Cup Record on 23:04 - Jan 7 with 1532 viewsTVOS1907

FA Cup Record on 22:26 - Jan 7 by pioneer

and how far did non league clubs get last season and how many years since they had got that far?

I think you are selecting your years to support your point.

we reached the last thirty two this year by beating two non league clubs and a team from the third tier...what makes that more of an achievement compared to 1990, 1971 or 1915 or any other year outside of what you consider to be relevant comparisons.

Why is it so much harder now when many of the top teams dont take it seriously and play their reserves?

I can only choose the years in which we've reached round four!

Regardless of how seriously the big clubs take the competition, there is a much larger disparity between them and Dale now than there was in the first few seasons (1914/15, 1970/71 & 1989/90) we reached 'the last 32'; in other words, pre-Premier League.

There's even a bigger disparity now than when we did it in 2002/03.

And there's even a big disparity between Dale and the Championship clubs, one of whom beat us last year and are now in the Premier League!

The competition as a whole is much more difficult for clubs like Dale and for most clubs outside the likes of United, City, Spurs and Chelsea. Look back at the 70s and 80s and see how many different (or new) finalists there were and compare that to how many there have been, say, in the last 15 years.

And even when clubs like Arsenal rotate their squads, they still field a large number of internationals or players with top flight experience.

I think Dale's achievement in reaching round four for the fourth time in five years, on what is a much less even playing field than it once was, should be celebrated and not belittled.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 23:08]

FA Cup Record on 23:37 - Jan 7 with 1493 viewsscarrow

FA Cup Record on 22:01 - Jan 7 by pioneer

No. The 4th round is the 4th round regardless of how how many teams entered.

Rochdale to get to the fourth round have to win in round 1, 2 and 3. If they win in the 4th round history will state they got to the 5th round...

When they entered the cup and won in round 1 and then lost to Oldham they then lost in round 2. That's regardless of how many teams entered.

Poll: Final position

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024