Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Atmosphere 13:29 - Mar 20 with 12375 viewsTrueDaleBlue

I posted this a couple of weeks ago on another thread.
The sooner we get all the home fans in one stand at home the better.
Close the sandy.
Home fans in the wilbutts.
Away fans in the pearl.
Main stand for the match day diners, wags, vip's, and anybody else on a freebie.
Yesterday's atmosphere was the best this season.
Atmosphere (n/t) on 22:35 - Mar 20 with 3446 viewswindowsbug

[Post edited 20 Mar 2016 22:36]
Atmosphere on 01:54 - Mar 21 with 3319 viewsTalkingSutty

Atmosphere on 22:19 - Mar 20 by rochdale1987

Agree with this, been saying for years all they need to do is put steepened new concrete terracing in, like the standing up at chester, morecambe, fleetwood, there's plenty of room above head height at the moment to do this, and would make for a better view and probably better acoustics.

Speaking of terracing. Does anybody remember standing as an away supporter at Vale Park before the seats were installed, maybe over 30 years ago now. A massive ground at the time and I think it had the record for one of the biggest grounds in the country or the largest terrace.

I am wondering which part of the ground we occupied Was it in the current away stand but in a fenced off section up near the top corner? I just remember being surrounded by fencing and can't remember which end of the ground it was.

Some fantastic terracing at the time. The away end at Valley Parade was always good with a fence dividing both sets of supporters (opposite the Dallas stand). The Longside at Burnley, Bloomfield Road etc. Days when away wins were as rare as hens teeth.
Atmosphere on 08:33 - Mar 21 with 3201 viewsD_Alien

Atmosphere on 01:54 - Mar 21 by TalkingSutty

Speaking of terracing. Does anybody remember standing as an away supporter at Vale Park before the seats were installed, maybe over 30 years ago now. A massive ground at the time and I think it had the record for one of the biggest grounds in the country or the largest terrace.

I am wondering which part of the ground we occupied Was it in the current away stand but in a fenced off section up near the top corner? I just remember being surrounded by fencing and can't remember which end of the ground it was.

Some fantastic terracing at the time. The away end at Valley Parade was always good with a fence dividing both sets of supporters (opposite the Dallas stand). The Longside at Burnley, Bloomfield Road etc. Days when away wins were as rare as hens teeth.

I skipped school with a mate one Friday to watch Dale there around 1973, drew 1-1 Reg Jenkins with a late penalty. Pretty sure that terrace was in the same end where away fans are now, we were in the top left section.

Went down on the train for the evening kick-off and got into trouble when it broke down on the way back. My mate had to get his dad to pick us up from somewhere in Cheshire. Bloody British Rail! But that terrace was massive.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Atmosphere on 08:56 - Mar 21 with 3183 viewsTalkingSutty

Atmosphere on 08:33 - Mar 21 by D_Alien

I skipped school with a mate one Friday to watch Dale there around 1973, drew 1-1 Reg Jenkins with a late penalty. Pretty sure that terrace was in the same end where away fans are now, we were in the top left section.

Went down on the train for the evening kick-off and got into trouble when it broke down on the way back. My mate had to get his dad to pick us up from somewhere in Cheshire. Bloody British Rail! But that terrace was massive.

I seem to remember it was in the top corner of the stand but couldnt remember. Maybe Around early 1980.
Atmosphere on 09:31 - Mar 21 with 3147 viewsKenBoon

The Sandy is the worst terrace in English Football. Even the open ones have better views. The club would be mad to redevelop it when there's a very good stand opposite. Some fans just won't move though, or if they do - and this is quite funny - would want terracing at the TOP of the Pearl Street, rather than at the bottom to retain the shitty view they currently have. There's enough broken seats down there.If possible make it more shallow so the standing folk don't block views. OR. In 2016 maybe folk should have evolved past being unable to sing whilst sat down.
Atmosphere on 10:01 - Mar 21 with 3104 viewsTalkingSutty

Atmosphere on 09:31 - Mar 21 by KenBoon

The Sandy is the worst terrace in English Football. Even the open ones have better views. The club would be mad to redevelop it when there's a very good stand opposite. Some fans just won't move though, or if they do - and this is quite funny - would want terracing at the TOP of the Pearl Street, rather than at the bottom to retain the shitty view they currently have. There's enough broken seats down there.If possible make it more shallow so the standing folk don't block views. OR. In 2016 maybe folk should have evolved past being unable to sing whilst sat down.

I used to love standing in the Sandy and never envisaged watching from any other location but once the Pearl Street stand was erected there wasn't really a choice in the matter. The view is fantastic with decent facilities underneath and on its day I think the TDS is louder than the Sandy with a great atmosphere.

I have visited the Sandy a few times over the years to make sure that I'm not missing out and the first thing that hit me was the crap view, straight away I realised making the move to the TDS was the right decision. If the Sandy Lane was ever improved and the terrace made steeper I might return but I don't see that ever happening.

Everybody was singing in a seated stand at Oldham so I don't buy into the argument that you have to be on a standing terrace to provide vocal support. A section of the TDS could even be reserved as a singing section similar to the BIFFOS on Saturday, it would improve the atmosphere and maybe attract more younger supporters to games. It's nothing personal regarding the Sandy Lane but I don't understand why you would want to watch the game from the worst view in the whole of the Stadium. It's either through habit or to save a couple of quid.
Atmosphere on 10:03 - Mar 21 with 3102 viewsD_Alien

Atmosphere on 09:31 - Mar 21 by KenBoon

Mad to re-develop it? Just because there's a good stand opposite?

Sure, it's not a priority right now - one for the future - but when the majority of clubs in the football league have four decent sides to their grounds, why wouldn't we want to see it brought into the modern era? I just don't get that type of thinking.

Atmosphere on 10:12 - Mar 21 with 3094 viewsTalkingSutty

Atmosphere on 10:03 - Mar 21 by D_Alien

Mad to re-develop it? Just because there's a good stand opposite?

Sure, it's not a priority right now - one for the future - but when the majority of clubs in the football league have four decent sides to their grounds, why wouldn't we want to see it brought into the modern era? I just don't get that type of thinking.

Not sure how easy it would be to redevelop the Sandy to be honest, You are limited because of the close proximity of Sandy Lane at the rear and to increase the pitch of the terrace to provide a better view you would have to raise the height of the stand at the back. A costly exercise for very little reward and I don't see the Club going down that route.

I am hoping for a bit of storm damage to the Sandy roof over the Summer( get it insured) which would result in the Stand being closed for a month or two (or even a full season). Season Ticket Holders then being invited to use the TDS until the damage is repaired. Witnessing a few decent games in the TDS and the improved atmosphere of everybody being congregated under one roof would answer a lot of questions I think and Spotland would become a bit more of a intimidating place for visitors. Just an idea!!
[Post edited 21 Mar 2016 10:22]
Login to get fewer ads

Atmosphere on 10:23 - Mar 21 with 3066 viewsD_Alien

Atmosphere on 10:12 - Mar 21 by TalkingSutty

Not sure how easy it would be to redevelop the Sandy to be honest, You are limited because of the close proximity of Sandy Lane at the rear and to increase the pitch of the terrace to provide a better view you would have to raise the height of the stand at the back. A costly exercise for very little reward and I don't see the Club going down that route.

I am hoping for a bit of storm damage to the Sandy roof over the Summer( get it insured) which would result in the Stand being closed for a month or two (or even a full season). Season Ticket Holders then being invited to use the TDS until the damage is repaired. Witnessing a few decent games in the TDS and the improved atmosphere of everybody being congregated under one roof would answer a lot of questions I think and Spotland would become a bit more of a intimidating place for visitors. Just an idea!!
[Post edited 21 Mar 2016 10:22]

I'd be surprised if an half-decent architect couldn't come up with a solution that (in the longer term) made it worthwhile. Right now, it's just an eyesore and for anyone thinking of coming to watch the Dale who's been following premier league football, one glance at the face the club presents to the world as you drive past would put them off. It's tinpot.

A seating area accommodating 500-600 (with facilities underneath) with standing for 1000 in front would be entirely possible in that space. There's room to extend on either side, not just in terms of depth.

That would then open up several possibilities regarding away fans, allowing the club to make full use of the rest of the ground depending on the opposition. As I say, it's one for the future. Change nothing and the club will be #lackingambition
[Post edited 21 Mar 2016 10:27]

Atmosphere on 13:56 - Mar 21 with 2900 viewsTalkingSutty

Atmosphere on 10:23 - Mar 21 by D_Alien

I'd be surprised if an half-decent architect couldn't come up with a solution that (in the longer term) made it worthwhile. Right now, it's just an eyesore and for anyone thinking of coming to watch the Dale who's been following premier league football, one glance at the face the club presents to the world as you drive past would put them off. It's tinpot.

A seating area accommodating 500-600 (with facilities underneath) with standing for 1000 in front would be entirely possible in that space. There's room to extend on either side, not just in terms of depth.

That would then open up several possibilities regarding away fans, allowing the club to make full use of the rest of the ground depending on the opposition. As I say, it's one for the future. Change nothing and the club will be #lackingambition

Sounds like a good plan. Obviously we need to get some fans in the Stadium first,thats got to be the priority over the next six months or so. We need to entice back the missing fans.
Atmosphere on 12:37 - Mar 22 with 2704 viewsKenBoon

With regards to redeveloping. Aren't there guidelines now where new stands need to be a minimum distance from the pitch? Currently the Sandy Lane spoons the goal netting. If we were forced to push back any new stand a couple of metres it gets even smaller.
Atmosphere on 12:56 - Mar 22 with 2661 viewsdingdangblue

Atmosphere on 12:37 - Mar 22 by KenBoon

With regards to redeveloping. Aren't there guidelines now where new stands need to be a minimum distance from the pitch? Currently the Sandy Lane spoons the goal netting. If we were forced to push back any new stand a couple of metres it gets even smaller.

The back of the stand doesn't go back as far as it could. If you look from outside there's the old stone wall then a few metres to the back of the stand - this could be removed to compensate. Cant really see anything being done anyway .

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Atmosphere on 14:43 - Mar 22 with 2595 viewsD_Alien

Atmosphere on 12:56 - Mar 22 by dingdangblue

The back of the stand doesn't go back as far as it could. If you look from outside there's the old stone wall then a few metres to the back of the stand - this could be removed to compensate. Cant really see anything being done anyway .

Not even in 4 or 5 years time?

That's the timeframe I'd envisage (depending on league position, etc.)

It'd be pretty depressing to see the current Sandy unchanged, with no plans to do so, going into the 2020's

Atmosphere on 14:44 - Mar 22 with 2592 viewsrobbowood

Atmosphere on 10:23 - Mar 21 by D_Alien

Rebuilding any stand costs hundreds of thousand of pounds these days

At the moment refurbishment inside the main stand will surely be given top priority
Atmosphere on 14:48 - Mar 22 with 2576 viewsD_Alien

Atmosphere on 14:44 - Mar 22 by robbowood

At the moment refurbishment inside the main stand will surely be given top priority

... as I've said in several different posts on this matter.

Tch.

Atmosphere on 16:08 - Mar 22 with 2430 viewsTalkingSutty

Atmosphere on 14:44 - Mar 22 by robbowood

Maybe developing the infrastructure of the main stand would be the best option, provide more space for hospitality/ dining. It would still cost a lot of money but would attract extra income.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2016 16:08]
Atmosphere on 18:08 - Mar 22 with 2346 viewsdalebolt

Having been in the sandy for the last few home games I have to say the atmosphere in there (especially against bury) has been better than you usually get in the Pearl St. Admittedly the view is somewhat restricted in there depending on where you stand but when we attack the Sandy you can't beat it!
There have been a couple of different threads recently about atmosphere, dropping numbers and season ticket prices. Why not kill two birds with one stone offer a cheap season ticket for the sandy only, maybe between £100-£150 hopefully this would increase numbers and bump up the atmosphere. As I said earlier the view and indeed the facilities aren't the greatest in there but I'm sure plenty of floating/lapsed fans would be tempted if marketed right! Just a thought!
Atmosphere on 13:42 - Mar 23 with 2209 viewsTrueDaleBlue

Atmosphere on 18:08 - Mar 22 by dalebolt

Having been in the sandy for the last few home games I have to say the atmosphere in there (especially against bury) has been better than you usually get in the Pearl St. Admittedly the view is somewhat restricted in there depending on where you stand but when we attack the Sandy you can't beat it!
There have been a couple of different threads recently about atmosphere, dropping numbers and season ticket prices. Why not kill two birds with one stone offer a cheap season ticket for the sandy only, maybe between £100-£150 hopefully this would increase numbers and bump up the atmosphere. As I said earlier the view and indeed the facilities aren't the greatest in there but I'm sure plenty of floating/lapsed fans would be tempted if marketed right! Just a thought!

How about drop the prices for the Pearl, and switch to playing that way second half.
I know there is a toss up before the game, but we can't have won every one this season to play to the sandy second half.
Atmosphere on 14:36 - Mar 23 with 2169 viewsnordenblue

Atmosphere on 13:42 - Mar 23 by TrueDaleBlue

How about drop the prices for the Pearl, and switch to playing that way second half.
I know there is a toss up before the game, but we can't have won every one this season to play to the sandy second half.

You would then have to drop prices in the Sandy though, you surely can't charge the same price to sit in the Pearl St as stand in the Sandy lane
Atmosphere on 14:42 - Mar 23 with 2158 views49thseason

Atmosphere on 13:42 - Mar 23 by TrueDaleBlue

Why would you want to play uphill in the second half?
Atmosphere on 15:24 - Mar 23 with 2124 viewsKenBoon

Atmosphere on 18:08 - Mar 22 by dalebolt

I think the last thing the club should be doing is promoting watching our games in a tired old stand. If you're targeting kids then it's a waste. It's far too shallow to see unless you're at the front. I agree it can create a good atmosphere, but tbh the Pearl Street was excellent against Bury (quiet for most of the season though).
I'd personally do the opposite. Price both ends the same, so increase the Sandy and reduce the Pearl Street. Clean the Pearl Street bogs. Put some lights in Studds and put some fancy "Good old Football" PES style banners.
Atmosphere on 15:39 - Mar 23 with 2109 viewspioneer

Atmosphere on 15:24 - Mar 23 by KenBoon

I think the last thing the club should be doing is promoting watching our games in a tired old stand. If you're targeting kids then it's a waste. It's far too shallow to see unless you're at the front. I agree it can create a good atmosphere, but tbh the Pearl Street was excellent against Bury (quiet for most of the season though).
I'd personally do the opposite. Price both ends the same, so increase the Sandy and reduce the Pearl Street. Clean the Pearl Street bogs. Put some lights in Studds and put some fancy "Good old Football" PES style banners.

That would risk pricing out those fans who can only afford (or only willing to pay) the sandy lane standing prices in addition to those who only want to stand.
Atmosphere on 20:29 - Mar 23 with 2024 viewsbuckbyname

No thank you, I like standing at football. If the Sandy goes so do I.
If its atmosphere you want get a space suit.
Atmosphere on 21:51 - Mar 27 with 1891 viewsBartRowou

Another possible solution for the Sandy redevelopment:

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Atmosphere on 22:08 - Mar 27 with 1867 viewsKenBoon

Atmosphere on 20:29 - Mar 23 by buckbyname

No thank you, I like standing at football. If the Sandy goes so do I.
If its atmosphere you want get a space suit.

I remember when they banned smoking in the ground and all those fans stopped going.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024