Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brentford.... 19:30 - Dec 28 with 13845 viewsGloucs_R

Unbelievable.... This is how you run a club...

Ollie Watkins: £1.8m ➡️ £28m
Neal Maupay: £1.8m ➡️ £20m
Said Benrahma: £1.5m ➡️ £25m
Ezri Konsa: £2.5m ➡️ £12m
Chris Mepham: academy ➡️ £12.25m
Andre Gray: £550k ➡️ £11m
Scott Hogan: £850k ➡️ £9.5m
Jota: £1.35m ➡️ £5.85m
Ryan Woods: £1.2m ➡️ £4.5m

Unreal business #BrentfordFC https://t.co/k2V9pXj9gB

Poll: Are we staying up?

Brentford.... on 00:18 - Dec 29 with 2587 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Brentford.... on 23:53 - Dec 28 by GroveR

I'm not but who do we put on the board? The LSA? .org? Clive? You? Me?

We're as divided a fanbase as you'll ever see because everyone only wants the best for QPR but there's a hundred different views on how we get there.

Probably not helpful to resurrect a conversation had a thousand times on here, but they elect theirs.

I’m sure Brentford are as divided as any other club.
Brentford.... on 00:27 - Dec 29 with 2561 viewsBoston

Brentford.... on 00:18 - Dec 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

Probably not helpful to resurrect a conversation had a thousand times on here, but they elect theirs.

Agree, but our past glories have created a higher percentage of people bordering on psychotic.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Brentford.... on 00:44 - Dec 29 with 2551 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Brentford.... on 22:55 - Dec 28 by GroveR

I would take Benham as owner ahead of that entire group of players in a heartbeat.

Benham is the one who has driven that club to where they are now. The contrast with our uninterested owners is striking.
Brentford.... on 00:48 - Dec 29 with 2536 viewsNewBee

Brentford.... on 00:18 - Dec 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

Yes the Bees Supporters rep on the Board is elected by his/her fellow fans in Bees United.

But while BU did an amazing job in saving the club after we were raped by Ron Noades, taking over the running and funding when no-one else could/would, eventually the burden became too much, which is when Benham stepped in to buy a minority share (40%?).

And when that progressed well, they later agreed that he should be allowed to buy the club outright.

BU retained a rep on the Board, plus a "Golden Share", which would, I think, prevent Benham eg selling up to a property developer and raping the club again. BU also have the right to see financial information that is not normally made public, and would expect to be consulted on matters which directly affect the fans.

All that said, I think BU's presence is nowadays as much symbolic as anything else, since Benham/his people basically run the club as they wish.

Which is not at all a problem, since no-one doubts his bona fides, competence or resources.

P.S. Your last line is spot on!
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 0:49]
Brentford.... on 06:46 - Dec 29 with 2452 viewsstainrods_elbow

If the sole hallmark now of 'running a club' is turning players into profitable assets, is it any wonder why another poster was saying he never sees youngsters in QPR tops in his neck of the woods? Please accept my apologies for not wishing to suck our CEO's d*ck, or getting all hot and horny about the (dysfunctional) 'business model'.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Brentford.... on 07:32 - Dec 29 with 2453 viewsHastings_Hoops

Brentford.... on 06:46 - Dec 29 by stainrods_elbow

If the sole hallmark now of 'running a club' is turning players into profitable assets, is it any wonder why another poster was saying he never sees youngsters in QPR tops in his neck of the woods? Please accept my apologies for not wishing to suck our CEO's d*ck, or getting all hot and horny about the (dysfunctional) 'business model'.

Isn’t it true to say that it’s been the QPR way all through the very successful 60s, 70s, 80s (Stainrod included) and early 90s? ...And that things have tended to go wrong when we’ve deviated from that model under Chris Wright and Fernandes.
Brentford.... on 08:11 - Dec 29 with 2407 viewsGloucs_R

Brentford.... on 23:56 - Dec 28 by rsonist

Nothing's too old when it's stirring time.

You clearly dislike me. I can live with that, no problem. But this thread is a positive one. The Bees have done an amazing job, which we should look to emulate.

Followed by my next post which was that we seem to be moving in the right direction too. We've sold more players for a profit in the last few years that the previous decade. That's great progress. Now we need to ensure we are reinvesting wisely.

To the Brentford lad, where are you picking up these players from and what's your scouting network like?

Brentford.... on 08:30 - Dec 29 with 2387 viewsstevec

Made enough profit to not only cover a decent side but build a whole new stadium at the same time.

Where as us...
Login to get fewer ads

Brentford.... on 08:43 - Dec 29 with 2373 viewsGloucs_R

Brentford.... on 08:30 - Dec 29 by stevec

Made enough profit to not only cover a decent side but build a whole new stadium at the same time.

Where as us...

We blew £500m but I feel we've turned a corner since Hoos came onboard. Off the pitch, we're in better shape than we've been for a while. Would be nice to be competitive too though, I don't accept 18th as competitive either.

Brentford.... on 09:26 - Dec 29 with 2309 viewsnadera78

Brentford.... on 08:30 - Dec 29 by stevec

Where as us...

No, they haven't. Benham has put something like £100m into the club.

That's not meant to knock Brentford or Benham, far from it, I think he's done an amazing job there.
Brentford.... on 10:11 - Dec 29 with 2243 viewsdistortR

Brentford.... on 23:53 - Dec 28 by GroveR

I'm not but who do we put on the board? The LSA? .org? Clive? You? Me?

We're as divided a fanbase as you'll ever see because everyone only wants the best for QPR but there's a hundred different views on how we get there.

it would be good to have someone who could give us a true oversight of what's going on.

in our success chart, we could also add josh bowler
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 10:13]
Brentford.... on 17:51 - Dec 29 with 2088 viewsJuzzie

I live in what would be considered Brentford territory and there are plenty of kids, teens & adults in QPR attire.

It’s up to us to keep brainwashing, errrr encouraging, each new generation that comes through so that they are QPR whatever is going on.
Brentford.... on 18:01 - Dec 29 with 2063 viewshantssi

Unfortunately and whether we like it or not that’s the only way for any club without Prem TV money to stay afloat these days.
Our owners pump in £1M a month in pre-COVID days just to keep us afloat, with FFP set a £13M a year in theory it gives us £1M a season to play with without player sales.
Brentford.... on 18:20 - Dec 29 with 2043 viewsNewBee

Brentford.... on 08:11 - Dec 29 by Gloucs_R

You clearly dislike me. I can live with that, no problem. But this thread is a positive one. The Bees have done an amazing job, which we should look to emulate.

Followed by my next post which was that we seem to be moving in the right direction too. We've sold more players for a profit in the last few years that the previous decade. That's great progress. Now we need to ensure we are reinvesting wisely.

To the Brentford lad, where are you picking up these players from and what's your scouting network like?

"To the Brentford lad, where are you picking up these players from and what's your scouting network like?"

From what I understand, it's very complex. Matthew Benham originally made his money from setting up a sports betting company, which covered all sorts of markets in all locations (Indonesian 2nd division anyone?). In order to do this, he needed data (obv), for which he recruited expensive Oxford maths graduates and statisticians etc.
At which point he realised he could make even more money by selling data to other betting companies.

Finally, when he had taken over BFC, he made this database and analysis capability available to the club, hence the "Moneyball" reputation.

When applied to scouting players, they reckon they have identified "value" markets, where players are undervalued eg the French 2nd Division and Scandinavia (esp Denmark). Conversely, they avoid markets which are overpriced.

But the raw data are only the start. Having monitored teams and players over two or three seasons or more, if they identify a player, they'll often have him scouted up to 20 times, via a network of scouts both in the UK and Continent. Sometimes scouts are sent to view a game without being told which player it is they're meant to be watching (avoids 'confirmation bias').

If after this the player is still a candidate, they then go into his background in great detail eg - former coaches, youth teams, even schoolteachers. Also family circumstances. This is so they pass the club's "No Dickheads Rules", whereby it doesn't matter how talented a player is, if he pisses other off with his behaviour, then we wouldn't take him for free. (We once took a teenaged Said Berahino on a 3 month loan. He lasted 3 weeks before we sent him back).

And if he passes that, then we have to negotiate a price. Again, if we consider the asking price to be "overvalued", we will pull out, but assuming it's OK, then we have to deal with the player's agent before we sign him. (I'm not sure, but I believe that this has scuppered a few deals at the last minute.)

Anyhow, the whole process of signing a player can involve dozens of people and a couple of years, from amongst the hundreds of players (literally) who are being monitored at any one time. And I'm pretty sure that no sooner than we've signed a player, but we start the process of scouting his replacement.

All of which takes considerable time, patience and resources to set up, qualities which many (most?) club owners lack - see eg Sheff Wed sacking Pulis after 45 days lol.

Alternatively, you could do what I believe Liverpool have done, and just buy the systems and staff etc off the shelf in one go.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 18:30]
Brentford.... on 18:27 - Dec 29 with 2029 viewsNewBee

Brentford.... on 09:26 - Dec 29 by nadera78

No, they haven't. Benham has put something like £100m into the club.

That's not meant to knock Brentford or Benham, far from it, I think he's done an amazing job there.

It's something like that.

But without meaning to have a pop at QPR, he has always stayed scrupulously within FFP limits (currently £39m losses over a rolling 3 year period?).

Meaning that in the absence of Parachute payments (esp) and big crowds etc, our playing budget has always been in the bottom 4 or 5 since we've been in the Championship. Which in turn reflects why it is so important for the club to develop its own players from the 'B' team, and to profit from playing the transfer market.

All of which shows how the vast bulk of his investment has been in long-term infrasture, most obviously but not exclusively, the stadium.
Brentford.... on 18:33 - Dec 29 with 2019 viewsShunter

Jesus ! Do you work for Sky as well ??
Brentford.... on 18:58 - Dec 29 with 2004 viewsNortholt_Rs

Please can everybody stop gobbling these pik ey c u n ts off.... it’s doing my head in.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Brentford.... on 19:19 - Dec 29 with 1987 viewsGloucs_R

Brentford.... on 18:20 - Dec 29 by NewBee

"To the Brentford lad, where are you picking up these players from and what's your scouting network like?"

From what I understand, it's very complex. Matthew Benham originally made his money from setting up a sports betting company, which covered all sorts of markets in all locations (Indonesian 2nd division anyone?). In order to do this, he needed data (obv), for which he recruited expensive Oxford maths graduates and statisticians etc.
At which point he realised he could make even more money by selling data to other betting companies.

Finally, when he had taken over BFC, he made this database and analysis capability available to the club, hence the "Moneyball" reputation.

When applied to scouting players, they reckon they have identified "value" markets, where players are undervalued eg the French 2nd Division and Scandinavia (esp Denmark). Conversely, they avoid markets which are overpriced.

But the raw data are only the start. Having monitored teams and players over two or three seasons or more, if they identify a player, they'll often have him scouted up to 20 times, via a network of scouts both in the UK and Continent. Sometimes scouts are sent to view a game without being told which player it is they're meant to be watching (avoids 'confirmation bias').

If after this the player is still a candidate, they then go into his background in great detail eg - former coaches, youth teams, even schoolteachers. Also family circumstances. This is so they pass the club's "No Dickheads Rules", whereby it doesn't matter how talented a player is, if he pisses other off with his behaviour, then we wouldn't take him for free. (We once took a teenaged Said Berahino on a 3 month loan. He lasted 3 weeks before we sent him back).

And if he passes that, then we have to negotiate a price. Again, if we consider the asking price to be "overvalued", we will pull out, but assuming it's OK, then we have to deal with the player's agent before we sign him. (I'm not sure, but I believe that this has scuppered a few deals at the last minute.)

Anyhow, the whole process of signing a player can involve dozens of people and a couple of years, from amongst the hundreds of players (literally) who are being monitored at any one time. And I'm pretty sure that no sooner than we've signed a player, but we start the process of scouting his replacement.

All of which takes considerable time, patience and resources to set up, qualities which many (most?) club owners lack - see eg Sheff Wed sacking Pulis after 45 days lol.

Alternatively, you could do what I believe Liverpool have done, and just buy the systems and staff etc off the shelf in one go.

Wow. 😲

Brentford.... on 20:02 - Dec 29 with 1970 viewshantssi

“All of which takes considerable time, patience and resources to set up, qualities which many (most?) club owners lack”, well that counts us out then!
Can you see our fans waiting 2-3 years for us to sign players or when we do write them off almost immediately!
Brentford.... on 20:24 - Dec 29 with 1954 viewsNortholt_Rs

Brentford.... on 20:02 - Dec 29 by hantssi

“All of which takes considerable time, patience and resources to set up, qualities which many (most?) club owners lack”, well that counts us out then!
Can you see our fans waiting 2-3 years for us to sign players or when we do write them off almost immediately!

We’ve waited 10 years already....

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Brentford.... on 21:57 - Dec 29 with 1920 viewsTGRRRSSS

Fernandes bought the club in 2011.

Does anyone think he remotely has the capability of doing this to even 30% of whats been achieved elsewhere?

That being said some of this has been coming through but it's the sales side of things not quite working yet.

Also annoying we buy and sell so much undisclosed which means they cannot even show the success of their stratedgy they claim they are doing, in addition it allows them to hammer the lack of cash thing and FFP hitting QPR, which admittedly it does.
Brentford.... on 20:08 - Dec 30 with 1807 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I'm loathe to keep blowing smoke up Brentford's arse but I have to agree with the OP. What's more impressive is the way they keep progressing despite selling their assets.
Brentford.... on 22:24 - Dec 30 with 1674 viewsDixie_CT

Brentford.... on 20:08 - Dec 30 by Benny_the_Ball

I'm loathe to keep blowing smoke up Brentford's arse but I have to agree with the OP. What's more impressive is the way they keep progressing despite selling their assets.

Surely this was just us in the 90’s? Sinton, Ferdinand, Impey, Seamen, Sinclair, Peacock & Parker, all signed for peanuts and sold for massive profit. We were the envy of many and although not based on research and data, we did seem to have a knack for it.

Don’t tell me Brentford and Fulham didn’t look at us like green eyed monsters whilst they played in front of smaller crowds in League 1 & 2.

We have been chronically mismanaged since relegation and Chris Wright taking over yet have still managed to win a few promotions and had a win at Wembley. It may take us another 20 years to overtake Brentford and Fulham, on and off the pitch, but football does work in cycles.

To be honest, Fulham’s sojourns into Europe and some truly epic results v Juventus and other giants will make me more jealous than Brentford being a successful business but not yet a successful football team.
Brentford.... on 22:58 - Dec 30 with 1612 viewsGroveR

Brentford.... on 10:11 - Dec 29 by distortR

it would be good to have someone who could give us a true oversight of what's going on.

in our success chart, we could also add josh bowler
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 10:13]

I agree and my point was even if you look at what Benham has established at Brentford through a pessimistic lens of using Bees Utd as a stalking horse until he got control, he did at least have only *one* representative fans body to deal with.

In the other hand I think as a fanbase we're very partisan and you could see this expressed in absolutes - Gregory/Thompson/Wright/Paladini/Power/Briatore/Fernandes are incompetent/bankrolling/crooks/saviours/thieves depending on who you're talking too.

As Bazza points out, it's not a new problem and it's not unique to us but take a look at the questions Hoos has to answer at some of the fans forums - he must be thinking "what have I got to deal with here?"
Brentford.... on 23:01 - Dec 30 with 1608 viewsGroveR

Brentford.... on 18:20 - Dec 29 by NewBee

"Sometimes scouts are sent to view a game without being told which player it is they're meant to be watching (avoids 'confirmation bias')."

Harry Redknapp used to avoid confirmation bias by not scouting the next Premier league team we were playing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024