Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brilliant goalkeeping 19:40 - Jan 20 with 6273 viewswelwynranger

Haven't seen that for a while
Brilliant goalkeeping on 08:50 - Jan 21 with 1309 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brilliant goalkeeping on 07:28 - Jan 21 by hoops_legend

Standard save? People have no idea how hard goalkeeping is and as QPR fans we really should appreciate it given our past

His double save was the equivalent of a 35 yard stunner which we would have been praising for weeks and months and shown on YouTube all our friends and family. The keeper just gets a pat on the back usually

It's good to see people acknowledge him in this thread.

I'm not knocking him, I'm delighted with him, and delighted we have him. I think he's up there with Smithies and approaching the level of Seaman IF he continues in this vein.

I'm an ex-goalie and now a goalkeeping coach. I think both saves were standard saves for a goalkeeper at his level, though. His positioning was solid, his technique was good but it's his core strength to rebound twice that catches the eye. But, the yardstick I use is always to as would the goalie be disappointed if either went in or would he think he could have done better. I think he would expect to save both.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Brilliant goalkeeping on 08:51 - Jan 21 with 1309 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Some fantastic saves last night and of different kinds. High (Bacuna free kick), Low (Moore Header) and reaction (Ng shot followed by Morrison) makes for a well rounded keeper.
He is confident with his catching too and seems assured with his feet.
I loved Smithies when he was with us and certainly saved us points but Dieng is looking a class above right now.
Brilliant goalkeeping on 09:44 - Jan 21 with 1219 viewsBrianMcCarthy

It’s his aerial ability that amazes me. I can’t recall a Rangers keeper as dominant on high balls. The speed of his decision making regularly makes me laugh like a giddy kid.

Brilliant goalkeeping on 09:45 - Jan 21 with 1215 viewsMonners69

For all the great saves last night I was struck by another part of his game. Towards the end of the first half (I think) when Cardiff pumped another garryowen (right ground wrong game lads) in to the box and as I was watching Dieng i was thinking - jesus come for it come for it - and he was waiting till the last moment so he was coming with the physical momentum enabling him to win the contact (right ground wrong game) - it was a simple thing but it really impressed me how calm he was and how he thought it through and used his physicality and momentum to claim the ball.

All keepers will have the odd issue (see SMithies last night) but I cant remember being so confident about a keeper since Smithies (I know repetition). They had a couple of free kicks just out side the area and my immediate reaction was they are going to have to nail this to beat Dieng.

Really encouraging.
Brilliant goalkeeping on 09:49 - Jan 21 with 1209 viewsNorthernr

Brilliant goalkeeping on 08:51 - Jan 21 by BlackAndGoldRanger

Some fantastic saves last night and of different kinds. High (Bacuna free kick), Low (Moore Header) and reaction (Ng shot followed by Morrison) makes for a well rounded keeper.
He is confident with his catching too and seems assured with his feet.
I loved Smithies when he was with us and certainly saved us points but Dieng is looking a class above right now.

The double save was especially brilliant because he'd actually already committed to an initial shot that got blocked. So he had to get back up, reposition and react three times.

That save from Moore isn't easy either. Lot of footwork involved, and then difficult to get down that low right by the post that quickly.

The FK one is a bit of a camera save, it was his side and he had a clear view, but after ten years of watching Tony Roberts build a wall and then stand behind it I'll happily take it.
Brilliant goalkeeping on 09:51 - Jan 21 with 1197 viewstraininvain

Brilliant goalkeeping on 09:49 - Jan 21 by Northernr

The double save was especially brilliant because he'd actually already committed to an initial shot that got blocked. So he had to get back up, reposition and react three times.

That save from Moore isn't easy either. Lot of footwork involved, and then difficult to get down that low right by the post that quickly.

The FK one is a bit of a camera save, it was his side and he had a clear view, but after ten years of watching Tony Roberts build a wall and then stand behind it I'll happily take it.

And the first save in the double came through a crowd of players so he would’ve seen it late. Not dissimilar to a save he made at Derby.
Brilliant goalkeeping on 09:52 - Jan 21 with 1196 viewsTonto

Brilliant goalkeeping on 21:57 - Jan 20 by bosh67

He is definitely the best keeper since Smithies. We have to do whatever we can to keep him for at least another season.

he signed a new contract until 2024

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/seny-dieng-signs-contract-until-2024/#:~:te
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 9:53]

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: How was the transfer window for you?

Brilliant goalkeeping on 09:56 - Jan 21 with 1184 viewsdaveB

Most impressive thing about him is how easy he makes it all look. We'd have made the playoffs if he had been in goal last season but think it was understandable to loan him out again as that spell at Doncaster really seems to have been the making of him

A big positive that we've got him tied to a long term deal for all the negativity around the place at the moment (A lot of it justified) we do have the makings of a decent side here, if we can add some quality in midfield we should climb the table
Login to get fewer ads

Brilliant goalkeeping on 09:57 - Jan 21 with 1180 viewsBlackCrowe

Brilliant goalkeeping on 09:52 - Jan 21 by Tonto

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/seny-dieng-signs-contract-until-2024/#:~:te

Potential ker-ching.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:11 - Jan 21 with 1147 viewsNorthernr

Brilliant goalkeeping on 09:52 - Jan 21 by Tonto

Not a given, but just about every contract we've done with Hoos as CEO has had an option on the club side for another year, so fingers crossed it could be to 2025.

Mind you, he'd be 30 by then. Not that young remember.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:25 - Jan 21 with 1116 viewsBlue_Castello

Brilliant goalkeeping on 09:44 - Jan 21 by BrianMcCarthy

It’s his aerial ability that amazes me. I can’t recall a Rangers keeper as dominant on high balls. The speed of his decision making regularly makes me laugh like a giddy kid.

It's his aerial ability that amazes me, funny that I'm watching him and thinking Phil Parkes.....
Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:25 - Jan 21 with 1113 viewsfrancisbowles

Having loaned out Kelly and Barnes, I don't believe he will be going anywhere this window. Staying in the division is worth more than any fee we would receive.

When the season is over though, we are as open to offers as we are for any player.
Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:29 - Jan 21 with 1106 viewsAntti_Heinola

Brilliant goalkeeping on 08:50 - Jan 21 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm not knocking him, I'm delighted with him, and delighted we have him. I think he's up there with Smithies and approaching the level of Seaman IF he continues in this vein.

I'm an ex-goalie and now a goalkeeping coach. I think both saves were standard saves for a goalkeeper at his level, though. His positioning was solid, his technique was good but it's his core strength to rebound twice that catches the eye. But, the yardstick I use is always to as would the goalie be disappointed if either went in or would he think he could have done better. I think he would expect to save both.

I think the double save was special because as others have said it came through a crowd, maybe even through the legs of a player - if it goes through legs of a defender it so often goes in. Also the ball kicks up just before he makes the save. It's a brilliant one.

Contrary to a comment somewhere higher up, I think the club have done well to send him out on loan and get him lots of games and experience elsewhere. It's clearly paid off. Could he have been playing for us earlier? Maybe. But not totally convinced. Most keepers tend to improve with age and peak at a much higher age than outfield players as experience is so important to keeping. Plenty of keepers, like Friedel or David James for instance, actually played their best football in their very late 30s.

Bare bones.

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:29 - Jan 21 with 1099 viewsgazza1

Playing very well at the moment, decent keeper. Best game last night.

He will make an error - It will be interesting how he reacts to that and how quickly he believes in himself again.
Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:36 - Jan 21 with 1077 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:25 - Jan 21 by Blue_Castello

It's his aerial ability that amazes me, funny that I'm watching him and thinking Phil Parkes.....

Ya, me too. Not sure we've had anyone as good in the air since.

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:43 - Jan 21 with 1049 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:29 - Jan 21 by gazza1

Playing very well at the moment, decent keeper. Best game last night.

He will make an error - It will be interesting how he reacts to that and how quickly he believes in himself again.

I actually think that he made an error on his debut and has recovered very well from it. The Boro goal saw him rooted to his line and on his heels so unable to respond. As it happens I don't think he would have saved it anyway as it went in at the far post, but it was an error and it didn't seem to faze him which is very encouraging.

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:44 - Jan 21 with 1045 viewsNorthernr

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:43 - Jan 21 by BrianMcCarthy

I actually think that he made an error on his debut and has recovered very well from it. The Boro goal saw him rooted to his line and on his heels so unable to respond. As it happens I don't think he would have saved it anyway as it went in at the far post, but it was an error and it didn't seem to faze him which is very encouraging.

Wycombe away probably should be saving that too.
Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:48 - Jan 21 with 1027 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:44 - Jan 21 by Northernr

Yes, I'd forgotten that one.

He's $hit, isn't he?

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:49 - Jan 21 with 1024 viewsTacticalR

Brilliant goalkeeping on 21:37 - Jan 20 by davman

Best 'keeper since, er, that bloke in the other goal tonight.

So unlike Smithies to let Willock's shot get through him tonight...

It looked to me like Willock surprised Smithies by getting his shot away quickly and hard. Maybe the rain was a factor.

Air hostess clique

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:51 - Jan 21 with 1011 viewsLongsufferingR

On another note, I appreciated the view of our goal from the camera behind Dieng. His celebration showed it means as much to him as it does to us.
Brilliant goalkeeping on 11:11 - Jan 21 with 978 viewsfrancisbowles

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:49 - Jan 21 by TacticalR

It looked to me like Willock surprised Smithies by getting his shot away quickly and hard. Maybe the rain was a factor.

I remember in the sixties, goalies were often saying it's the ones that are closest to your body that are the hardest to save. I thought it was one where it was difficult for Alex to quickly get down to.
Brilliant goalkeeping on 11:40 - Jan 21 with 929 viewsgazza1

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:43 - Jan 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Will check that out Brian....cant recall - it happens nowadays.
Brilliant goalkeeping on 11:42 - Jan 21 with 924 viewsNoelmc

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:11 - Jan 21 by Northernr

Not a given, but just about every contract we've done with Hoos as CEO has had an option on the club side for another year, so fingers crossed it could be to 2025.

Mind you, he'd be 30 by then. Not that young remember.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Many keepers reach their prime in their thirties Clive, so I don't think that would be too much of an issue.

Would also like to add how impressive I find him as a footballing keeper. He never seems to panic with back passes and is comfortable kicking with either foot. The accuracy of his kicking is good too and I'm fairly sure he has at least one assist and has created a few good chances with his distribution when he is not under pressure.
Brilliant goalkeeping on 11:44 - Jan 21 with 915 viewsgazza1

Brilliant goalkeeping on 10:44 - Jan 21 by Northernr

I think the key word there is 'probably' Norf!! Near post, yes....should he have got to it , maybe. If you want to be highly critical 'maybe or probably' you are right. Compared with some of the errors we have seen recently from our keepers I don't think there are any stand-out bad errors from him.

He's doing good imho and adds a massive boast to our defence.
Brilliant goalkeeping on 11:50 - Jan 21 with 897 views2Thomas2Bowles

He will never be a great keeper till he can throw the ball 50MT and hit a sixpence and wears a green shirt like Parks

10 shilling and 9D we got for Smithies so should get about the same and put Lumley back in.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024