Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The election results thread 19:10 - Jun 8 with 57685 viewsexiledclaseboy

Polls close 10pm. BBC, ITV and SKY release the results of their joint exit poll also at 10pm. Some of you may remember election night two years ago when the exit poll predicted a Tory win. It was roundly ridiculed by politicians of all parties and most us on here. You could see Professor John Curtice (who oversees the poll) visibly wilting and wondering if he'd just wrecked his career and reputation. The same Prof Curtice got progressively more smug as the night rolled on and it turned out his poll was more or less spot on.

First result due about 11pm. From Sunderland.

The outcome may be a foregone conclusion but it should be exciting for about an hour or so.

Get it stickied for 24 hours or so please, mods.

Oh, and can someone keep Perch and Bluey away from sharp objects please. Just in case.

Poll: Tory leader

The election results thread on 11:12 - Jun 9 with 1496 viewsskippyjack

The election results thread on 10:59 - Jun 9 by sherpajacob

Barnier (voice of reason) has said negotiations shouldn't start until the UK is ready.

I suggest we will be ready by about 2070. That's suits me.

That would wouldn't it.. you greedy self-serving animal..

I can't even look at some of you.. and those Tories are b*stards apparently.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

The election results thread on 11:13 - Jun 9 with 1493 viewssherpajacob

The election results thread on 11:05 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

In an election of polarised policy positions, the great irony is that the result may force a return to the centre as neither side will be able to get its more extreme policies through. Certainly applies for Brexit, where a delay, or at least a very different approach will have to emerge. Best possible result for those of us that yearned for a return to the centre and the softest possible Brexit.

The only downside is the possible emergence of Boris. Glad that Rudd retained her seat as she is far more palatable than him as a replacement for May, who surely must go.

Hopefully we are entering a period of compromise and negotiation, a period where the good of the country as a whole can be considered rather than just elements of it. If they're grown up, it may work. If they're their usual childish selves, we'll have to go through all this again in a few months.

Good last paragraph,

However Theresa Mays record to date is not promising in this respect.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The election results thread on 11:17 - Jun 9 with 1477 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 11:13 - Jun 9 by sherpajacob

Good last paragraph,

However Theresa Mays record to date is not promising in this respect.

I can't see anyway that she can last Sherpa.

And to inject a note of reality, it's not May that decided the strategy for the election, it's other idiots.

In my dream world, Ken Clarke will take some role.
The election results thread on 11:20 - Jun 9 with 1473 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 11:10 - Jun 9 by exiledclaseboy

So the UK is now effectively governed by 10 MPs from Northern Ireland. Strong and stable.

If you think the right wing of the Tory party is the lunatic fringe you ain't seen nothing yet. The DUP is like UKIP on acid at times.

That's greatly underestimating the influence of the LibDems clasie.

They will now come into play once more. As an aside, how lovely to see Clegg go, and great to see Cable back, who I thought spoke very well in this campaign.

Edited - God, I'm so sorry Clase, I called you Bluey. Swiftly edited :-)
[Post edited 9 Jun 2017 11:22]
The election results thread on 11:21 - Jun 9 with 1468 viewsProfessor

The election results thread on 11:09 - Jun 9 by skippyjack

I can't listen to professors who are primarily funded by the EU money tree..

But you all haven't pulled the wool over my eyes.. no matter how intellectually astute you all think you are..

Certain work positions in certain areas rely on EU financial streams.. I'm an out of the EU.. because I knew what was coming..

I'm sure you can 'survive' on your already healthy salaries.. to teach Mickey mouse degrees.

(I've got my eyes in you)

My research income comes from UK Research councils and industry (none-UK owned). I have been a co-investigator on one EU-funded project.

I teach on three undergraduate and 2 post graduate degrees at a Russell Group University

Veterinary Science, Medicine, Bioveterinary Science-UG
Veterinary Infection and Disease Control MSc and Clinical Sciences MRes-PG

Some real 'Disney' degrees in there
The election results thread on 11:23 - Jun 9 with 1462 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 11:21 - Jun 9 by Professor

My research income comes from UK Research councils and industry (none-UK owned). I have been a co-investigator on one EU-funded project.

I teach on three undergraduate and 2 post graduate degrees at a Russell Group University

Please don't waste time talking to skippy.

The only Russell he's familiar with is Brand.
The election results thread on 11:26 - Jun 9 with 1451 viewsBrynCartwright

But you all haven't pulled the wool over my eyes.. no matter how intellectually astute you all think you are..

Certain work positions in certain areas rely on EU financial streams.. I'm an out of the EU.. because I knew what was coming..

I'm sure you can 'survive' on your already healthy salaries.. to teach Mickey mouse degrees.

Not sure Stephen Hawking would agree with you

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

The election results thread on 11:26 - Jun 9 with 1451 viewsProfessor

Although, yes, I have a healthy salary and paid more tax last year than many posters here will earn. Probably paid a lot more tax than many people who actually earn a lot more than me too.

Equally my salary was abject for the first 12 years of my career-that's the way science works.
Login to get fewer ads

The election results thread on 11:28 - Jun 9 with 1438 viewsPegojack

I see Paul Nuttall has resigned as UKIP leader with barely a whimper in the media.

UKIP will be able to hold their annual conference in a phone box soon.
The election results thread on 11:30 - Jun 9 with 1428 viewsHeadmaster

The election results thread on 11:35 - Jun 9 with 1395 viewsLord_Bony

The election results thread on 10:59 - Jun 9 by sherpajacob

Barnier (voice of reason) has said negotiations shouldn't start until the UK is ready.

I suggest we will be ready by about 2070. That's suits me.

Junker president of the EU has now made a statement.

Basically, get on with it we ll give you a little time but hurry up because we are getting a little irritated here waiting for you...the clock is ticking.

Now we have to go there with DUP to negotiate.

We are a feckin mess...!

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The election results thread on 11:36 - Jun 9 with 1394 viewsPrivate_Partz

So the UK is now effectively governed by 10 MPs from Northern Ireland. Strong and stable.

If you think the right wing of the Tory party is the lunatic fringe you ain't seen nothing yet. The DUP is like UKIP on acid at times.

It is complete and utter madness. We really need to abandon FPTP. I was just looking at the voting figures on the BBC. If you add the total votes for just Labour and Lib Dem they outstrip the Tory vote by almost 2m.
We are about to be governed by a failing incompetent Party and a Leader who does not even have the majority of the voting population behind them.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The election results thread on 11:36 - Jun 9 with 1392 viewssherpajacob

The election results thread on 11:12 - Jun 9 by skippyjack

That would wouldn't it.. you greedy self-serving animal..

I can't even look at some of you.. and those Tories are b*stards apparently.

Suck it up , snowflake.

It's called democracy.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The election results thread on 11:37 - Jun 9 with 1385 viewsskippyjack

The election results thread on 11:21 - Jun 9 by Professor

I get so much stick.. it's worse than Corbyn..

I'll state it again.. the European Union are drafting up a plan that would put income down for the poorest in our community's.. not just in the UK.. but in Europe.. which the UK, being one of the big powers would have to cough up extra funds..

Now.. the only plausible way to get out of this new superstate ready to put its austerity measures on the poorest is to get out of it.

But this new proposal doesn't have an 'effect' on you pro EU lot.. because not everyone is in the EU gravy train clique club.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.

The election results thread on 11:39 - Jun 9 with 1370 viewsLohengrin

The first time since the interregnum that government policy will be formulated via the prism of the Heidelberg Catechism.

And to think all the multi-culturalists will still have a bad head from their celebratory hangover this morning, wait until that new reality starts to dawn on them...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The election results thread on 11:40 - Jun 9 with 1366 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 11:36 - Jun 9 by Private_Partz

It is complete and utter madness. We really need to abandon FPTP. I was just looking at the voting figures on the BBC. If you add the total votes for just Labour and Lib Dem they outstrip the Tory vote by almost 2m.
We are about to be governed by a failing incompetent Party and a Leader who does not even have the majority of the voting population behind them.

If you read the LibDem manifesto (which I did, and I voted for them as a result), there are many points of difference with Labour. Real difference.

There is no forgone conclusion that they are aligned with Labour just because they are anti Tory.

I'm very anti this type of Tory, but I'm not aligned with this Labour Party either.

There is an actual middle ground. I hope we can find it.
The election results thread on 11:40 - Jun 9 with 1363 viewsskippyjack

The election results thread on 11:36 - Jun 9 by sherpajacob

Suck it up , snowflake.

It's called democracy.

F*ck me.. you're a moron.. you have no idea.. I know people who can remove you from your position as we speak.. but they only want to keep you there.. so they can tap you on the head and say good job son.

The election results thread on 11:48 - Jun 9 with 1337 viewsPrivate_Partz

The election results thread on 11:40 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

If you read the LibDem manifesto (which I did, and I voted for them as a result), there are many points of difference with Labour. Real difference.

There is no forgone conclusion that they are aligned with Labour just because they are anti Tory.

I'm very anti this type of Tory, but I'm not aligned with this Labour Party either.

I take your point. I am sure you have studied the Lib Demand Labour manifestos to a far greater degree than I did. Farron was obviously not doing a good job as I could not see massive differences between the two. Certainly not to the same degree that Cameron and Clegg had but they still jumped into bed with each other.
I digress though. My point was about the unfairness of FPTP and that still stands. There's is not even the opportunity for agreements to be made from parties that command sufficient backing from Joe Voter.
I agree with your point on the middle ground. I think we have it now with the Tories, Lib Dems and Corbyn's Labour providing this . I hope the voting Public wake up to this in future as it gives them real choice and an element of control. Much preferable to everyone chasing the centralist view.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2017 11:51]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The election results thread on 11:54 - Jun 9 with 1313 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 11:48 - Jun 9 by Private_Partz

I take your point. I am sure you have studied the Lib Demand Labour manifestos to a far greater degree than I did. Farron was obviously not doing a good job as I could not see massive differences between the two. Certainly not to the same degree that Cameron and Clegg had but they still jumped into bed with each other.
I digress though. My point was about the unfairness of FPTP and that still stands. There's is not even the opportunity for agreements to be made from parties that command sufficient backing from Joe Voter.
I agree with your point on the middle ground. I think we have it now with the Tories, Lib Dems and Corbyn's Labour providing this . I hope the voting Public wake up to this in future as it gives them real choice and an element of control. Much preferable to everyone chasing the centralist view.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2017 11:51]

Agree re FPTP.

For centrists like me, PR will always result in more compromise and a middle ground than is likely in a two party system.

I also agree btw about Farron - I voted for them despite him not because of him. To me, he doesn't seem very bright to be honest.
The election results thread on 11:55 - Jun 9 with 1308 viewsProfessor

The election results thread on 11:40 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

Yes- there is a clear difference. Although I support Labour the LibDem's were honest in that public services, especially the NHS, can only be funded by increased taxation. They are still feeling the damage of the coalition but nice to see some good people like Vince Cable and Ed Davey back in parliament.

The one policy I do not back (which is perhaps surprising) is the scrapping of University Tuition fees-the return of the HEFE/HEFCW/SHEFC grant charges HE to all, not the beneficiary. That said I would prefer a graduate tax more in line with LibDem than Labour policy.

All parties tend to have some good policies (except perhaps UKIP) and sometimes the centrist approach (such as Germany or the Netherlands) can work better for many, not the few.

In the words of Billy Bragg "Sweet Moderation, heart of this nation".
The election results thread on 12:01 - Jun 9 with 1285 viewslondonlisa2001

The election results thread on 11:55 - Jun 9 by Professor

Yes- there is a clear difference. Although I support Labour the LibDem's were honest in that public services, especially the NHS, can only be funded by increased taxation. They are still feeling the damage of the coalition but nice to see some good people like Vince Cable and Ed Davey back in parliament.

The one policy I do not back (which is perhaps surprising) is the scrapping of University Tuition fees-the return of the HEFE/HEFCW/SHEFC grant charges HE to all, not the beneficiary. That said I would prefer a graduate tax more in line with LibDem than Labour policy.

All parties tend to have some good policies (except perhaps UKIP) and sometimes the centrist approach (such as Germany or the Netherlands) can work better for many, not the few.

In the words of Billy Bragg "Sweet Moderation, heart of this nation".

Cable spoke well on QT a few weeks ago on the subject of tuition fees.

It's a difficult one, as I was the recipient of free tuition and a full grant and I benefitted greatly from that. The issue, I guess, is that when I went (in the mid eighties), only about 20% ish did go, whereas now the percentage is far higher which makes the cost unmanageable.

Effectively there always has been a graduate tax, as graduates tended in the past to earn more and therefore were more likely to be in the higher tax bands.

But yes, it was the honesty that attracted me. Not every detail, but as a principle.
The election results thread on 12:09 - Jun 9 with 1250 viewsblueytheblue

The election results thread on 11:20 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

They will now come into play once more. As an aside, how lovely to see Clegg go, and great to see Cable back, who I thought spoke very well in this campaign.

Talking to him whilst thinking of me, eh Lisa?

Poll: Alternate POTY final

The election results thread on 12:11 - Jun 9 with 1239 viewswaynekerr55

The election results thread on 12:09 - Jun 9 by blueytheblue

Talking to him whilst thinking of me, eh Lisa?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The election results thread on 12:12 - Jun 9 with 1238 viewsEbo

The election results thread on 11:20 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

Dinosaur deniers I'm told as well.

Nothing more than a f8cking jazz band wearing rangers shirts slurping tenants super

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

The election results thread on 12:12 - Jun 9 with 1238 viewsProfessor

The election results thread on 12:01 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

Cable spoke well on QT a few weeks ago on the subject of tuition fees.

It's a difficult one, as I was the recipient of free tuition and a full grant and I benefitted greatly from that. The issue, I guess, is that when I went (in the mid eighties), only about 20% ish did go, whereas now the percentage is far higher which makes the cost unmanageable.

Effectively there always has been a graduate tax, as graduates tended in the past to earn more and therefore were more likely to be in the higher tax bands.

But yes, it was the honesty that attracted me. Not every detail, but as a principle.

We appear to be of the same vintage-full grant and fees paid for me at King's in the mid '80s too.

As you stay the numbers are different-less than 10% of my school year went to University (or indeed Polytechnic). There are now 130+ universities and much larger intakes and funding is a challenge. There is no easy answer
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024