Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI 07:00 - Nov 6 with 14137 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Players we got excited about that never really got going. 343 and generationally biased:

Lumley

Curtis
Mancienne
Shimmin

Ledesma
Parejo
Parrett
Ward

German
Armstrong
Hitchcock

[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 7:06]
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:15 - Nov 7 with 2462 viewsAntti_Heinola

Bazza, who's the Curtis in your team? John Curtis? Odd because my recollection was that all reports before was thet he was useless, and he was useless. Possibly the worst footballer I've ever seen in an Rs shirt.

Bare bones.

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:27 - Nov 7 with 2436 viewsslmrstid

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:15 - Nov 7 by Antti_Heinola

Bazza, who's the Curtis in your team? John Curtis? Odd because my recollection was that all reports before was thet he was useless, and he was useless. Possibly the worst footballer I've ever seen in an Rs shirt.

Yeah John Curtis was rubbish. I suppose we had high hopes for him because he was product of Man United, although as we've discovered over the years we have an awful track record of signing their once considered bright young things!
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:42 - Nov 7 with 2411 viewsAntti_Heinola

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:27 - Nov 7 by slmrstid

Yeah John Curtis was rubbish. I suppose we had high hopes for him because he was product of Man United, although as we've discovered over the years we have an awful track record of signing their once considered bright young things!

he wasn't even a bright young thing at that point though? He was 29 when we bought him! Think we got him because he was a mate of Cullip's, who was brilliant for half a season then fell off a cliff.

Bare bones.

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:51 - Nov 7 with 2396 viewsMetallica_Hoop

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:42 - Nov 7 by Antti_Heinola

he wasn't even a bright young thing at that point though? He was 29 when we bought him! Think we got him because he was a mate of Cullip's, who was brilliant for half a season then fell off a cliff.

I thought he would be good back in the day because in the old Championship Manager you could get him cheap and often he went on to play for England.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 13:40 - Nov 7 with 2275 viewsR_from_afar

I had such high hopes when we signed Rob Hulse but deary me, he was awful for us

Someone likened Eric Sabin to Thierry Henry. Yes, they were both Frenchmen and played up front, but sadly, that is where the similarities ended.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 19:31 - Nov 7 with 2104 viewsSK_hoops

Mike Sheron.
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 19:46 - Nov 7 with 2091 viewsflynnbo

Nick Culkin. A Manchester Unoted reserve keeper who promised much but delivered very little. Would have preferred Paddy Roche even at his age or even Macaulay.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2023 20:08]
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 20:05 - Nov 7 with 2061 viewsloftus77

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 13:40 - Nov 7 by R_from_afar

I had such high hopes when we signed Rob Hulse but deary me, he was awful for us

Someone likened Eric Sabin to Thierry Henry. Yes, they were both Frenchmen and played up front, but sadly, that is where the similarities ended.

Ah...but I don't ever recall Thierry Henry scoring a 90th minute winner at the mighty coliseum that is Blundell Park. The dizzy heights.....
Login to get fewer ads

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 21:05 - Nov 7 with 2023 viewsSuperhoops2808

I loved watching Kevin Mcleod but he tailed off

Mancienne was superb for us then think he went to Wolves and that was it

I know Jimmy Smith was mentioned too, boy could he hit the ball
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 21:41 - Nov 7 with 1967 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:15 - Nov 7 by Antti_Heinola

Memories eh.

I had it in my head he was United quality as I remembered him getting games during their title winning seasons. In the David May / Ronnie Johnson mould.

Definitely don't remember reports of him being shite, although he certainly was when he got here.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2023 15:26]
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 13:19 - Nov 8 with 1789 viewsaston_hoop

Is Nick Ward still going? Reasonable buzz around the signing of him I recall

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 13:22 - Nov 8 with 1770 viewsPlanetHonneywood

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 13:19 - Nov 8 by aston_hoop

Speaking of Aussies: Osvaldo Ardiles and Andrew McDermott.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 14:06 - Nov 8 with 1729 viewsTheChef

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 13:40 - Nov 7 by R_from_afar

Yeah but I don't recall Thierry Henry scoring against Grimsby, eh?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 14:06 - Nov 8 with 1730 viewsrbee

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 13:19 - Nov 8 by aston_hoop

We signed him as he was voted the most promising young Australian player at the time.

He went back to Oz after two seasons with us and according to Wiki he is still playing. All I remember of Nick is the cross away at Cardiff for Ray Jones to tap in giving us a 0-1 win.

I did go to a game in Oz on December 23rd 2000. An evening game, still 25 degrees and the crowd singing Jingle Bells, bizzare, Perth Glory v Sydney Marconi. Quite a few Eastern European guys playing for both teams. Before the game a few people mentioned the Perth left back who was indeed head and shoulders above the rest on the night, so calm on the ball and had pace as well.

When I got back I wrote to the club saying he was worth looking at.
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 15:56 - Nov 8 with 1655 viewsNW5Hoop

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:24 - Nov 6 by GaryBannister86

Not heresy, Gallen definitely didn't fulfill his potential, because when he first played I thought he was absolutely electric.

Obviously the injury at Pompey (can still see it now) put a dent in that, but I wonder if he was actually never quite as good as we thought / hoped?

Feel like I say this all the time, but when I was at FourFourTwo I interviewed Gerry Francis, who said the issue with Gallen was not the injury. It was that he was physically mature by 14, so he completely dominated youth football because he was faster and stronger. But then he started playing senior football and discovered there were other people who were in turn faster and stronger. His youth team record was based on his physicality rather than being the new Jimmy Greaves.
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 18:29 - Nov 8 with 1542 viewsderbyhoop

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 15:56 - Nov 8 by NW5Hoop

Feel like I say this all the time, but when I was at FourFourTwo I interviewed Gerry Francis, who said the issue with Gallen was not the injury. It was that he was physically mature by 14, so he completely dominated youth football because he was faster and stronger. But then he started playing senior football and discovered there were other people who were in turn faster and stronger. His youth team record was based on his physicality rather than being the new Jimmy Greaves.

His physical maturity was probably correct. But that shouldn't detract from his contribution over many years (97? goals). The injury obviously hampered him though he was far from the XI from the OP

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 18:53 - Nov 8 with 1517 viewsaston_hoop

Gallen is an extreme example but I feel like this kind of thing bothered us for years, the next big thing always being literally the biggest lad in the youth team who is dominating teenagers half his size

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 15:08 - Nov 10 with 1339 viewsBoston

We had a very useful kid on the books when I was a youngster. Got his debut in a hell of a squad at 16 and was highly rated by our fans and other clubs scouts. Unfortunately, the poor lad suffered a cruciate ligament injury that nowadays is very treatable, but back then, ended his career. QPR fan as well, step forward Phil Nutt.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 15:29 - Nov 10 with 1318 viewsCamberleyR

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 15:08 - Nov 10 by Boston

We had a very useful kid on the books when I was a youngster. Got his debut in a hell of a squad at 16 and was highly rated by our fans and other clubs scouts. Unfortunately, the poor lad suffered a cruciate ligament injury that nowadays is very treatable, but back then, ended his career. QPR fan as well, step forward Phil Nutt.

Scored against the league champions Derby at LR and got interviewed by Brian Moore on The Big Match the next day.

Slightly better quality from the recording of the actual programme
[Post edited 10 Nov 2023 15:37]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 16:25 - Nov 10 with 1247 viewsmart_Goblin

Certainly stronger than most but not necessarily quicker .
He was big and strong but thats irrelevant if you don’t have talent and a wonderful strikers instinct .
I read and hear on podcasts etc people rightly mentioning Austin and his instinct in the box especially compared to who we have playing now. But Kev was better . He just naturally new how to find space and read the game steps ahead of the defender
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 09:02 - Nov 11 with 1120 viewsMetallica_Hoop

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 15:08 - Nov 10 by Boston

I'd never heard of him, I found this short interview with the 51 year old Nutt.

Poor guy, makes debut, scores first goal then weeks later career over.

https://thefootballpost.weebly.com/premier-league.html

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 14:16 - Nov 11 with 1062 viewsDylanP

Did anyone mention Nick Ward, the Aussie wonderboy, yet?

Also, what about Ned, the good egg!

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 16:00 - Nov 11 with 1000 viewsStanFan

Junior Hoillett - thought he was a brilliant signing at the time
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024