Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI 07:00 - Nov 6 with 14136 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Players we got excited about that never really got going. 343 and generationally biased:

Lumley

Curtis
Mancienne
Shimmin

Ledesma
Parejo
Parrett
Ward

German
Armstrong
Hitchcock

[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 7:06]
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 10:59 - Nov 6 with 2253 viewsGaryBannister86

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 10:44 - Nov 6 by SK_hoops

Stuart Wardley. Funnily enough his name was the first that popped into my head too. Just looked up his stats and he only scored 3 goals for us that season. Granted, I was pretty young, but thought he scored way more than that.

Wasn't that one of Gerry's classic lines:

"not putting pressure on the boy, but he reminds me of a young Bryan Robson"

Always called him Robbo after that.

Sure he scored more than 3?!
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:01 - Nov 6 with 2249 viewsrbee

Stuart Wardley. Funnily enough his name was the first that popped into my head too. Just looked up his stats and he only scored 3 goals for us that season. Granted, I was pretty young, but thought he scored way more than that.

A total of 87 appearances scoring 14 goals over two and a half seasons according to Wiki.

I remember going to a reserve game at Loftus Road in 2001 and Stuart Wardley captained the side. He was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 11:05]
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:02 - Nov 6 with 2245 viewsloftboy

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 10:13 - Nov 6 by CamberleyR

Micky Walsh.

Was quite pleased when we signed him from Everton in the death throes of the 78/79 relegation season as he'd been a very good striker for Blackpool previously albeit in the second division.

He started off decently enough with a few goals but unfortunately for him two things conspired at the same time, the manager changed a few months after he signed and Docherty didn't fancy him at all, plus Clive Allen burst onto the scene. He seemed to hang around the next two seasons but hardly played and was then sold to Porto.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 10:18]

Refereed him about twenty years ago, he played for hungerford vets, Jimmy Quinn was up front amd macca usually turned out for them as well but was t there that day much to my disappointment.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:14 - Nov 6 with 2194 viewsCamberleyR

In the 1999/00 season Wardley got 14 goals (11 league, 3 cup).

http://www.qprnet.com/uploads/1/2/0/8/120823999/qpr1999.xls

I think you're probably thinking of the season after (the relegation season) when he only scored 3.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:17 - Nov 6 with 2184 viewslightwaterhoop

Gary Cooper in the 1980's.Played for the England youth side and had tons of ability but never given a chance for us.Ended up at Birmingham City i think.
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:20 - Nov 6 with 2172 viewsCiderwithRsie

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 08:12 - Nov 6 by Esox_Lucius

Channing went downhill rapidly once Kenny Samson got him into gambling.
I'd throw Richard Paquette into that list too.

I didn't know that about Channing.

At the time I thought he was our best full-back and was always disappointed he didn't nail down a place.

There was a lot of players who came out of our youth set-up towards the end of the Gerry Francis/Ray Wilkins era, including Matt Brazier, Quashie, Dichio, and (heresy alert!) Kevin Gallen who had some decent (or more than decent) runs with us but never quite fulfilled their potential IMO.

Maybe it was the difference between us surviving the sale of Ferdinand and Wilson (and age catching up with Wilkins, Bardsley, Macca, Barker etc) and going down. I don't know if a better manager than Wilkins (let alone Houston) might have brought them along, or if better use of the Ferdinand money might have given us the players they needed to develop (like Wilkins did with Ferdinand.) Or maybe they just weren't quite as consistently good as they needed to be.

Good thread subject, by the way.
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:23 - Nov 6 with 2161 viewsdmm

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:17 - Nov 6 by lightwaterhoop

Gary Cooper in the 1980's.Played for the England youth side and had tons of ability but never given a chance for us.Ended up at Birmingham City i think.

But he was great in High Noon.
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:23 - Nov 6 with 2161 viewsCiderwithRsie

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 09:03 - Nov 6 by daveB

Kevin Kingsmore was hyped up but don't think he ever played for us in the end

Another one that I always wondered about.

He and Bradley Allen had a fantastic partnership in the youth team.

(I think Allen was a bit unlucky not to establish himself alongside Ferdinand.)
Login to get fewer ads

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:24 - Nov 6 with 2154 viewsGaryBannister86

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:20 - Nov 6 by CiderwithRsie

I didn't know that about Channing.

At the time I thought he was our best full-back and was always disappointed he didn't nail down a place.

There was a lot of players who came out of our youth set-up towards the end of the Gerry Francis/Ray Wilkins era, including Matt Brazier, Quashie, Dichio, and (heresy alert!) Kevin Gallen who had some decent (or more than decent) runs with us but never quite fulfilled their potential IMO.

Maybe it was the difference between us surviving the sale of Ferdinand and Wilson (and age catching up with Wilkins, Bardsley, Macca, Barker etc) and going down. I don't know if a better manager than Wilkins (let alone Houston) might have brought them along, or if better use of the Ferdinand money might have given us the players they needed to develop (like Wilkins did with Ferdinand.) Or maybe they just weren't quite as consistently good as they needed to be.

Good thread subject, by the way.

Not heresy, Gallen definitely didn't fulfill his potential, because when he first played I thought he was absolutely electric.

Obviously the injury at Pompey (can still see it now) put a dent in that, but I wonder if he was actually never quite as good as we thought / hoped?
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:42 - Nov 6 with 2093 viewsNed_Kennedys

Stéphane Mbia. Thought he was going to be a great signing.
I was incorrect.
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:44 - Nov 6 with 2079 viewsQPunkR

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 07:13 - Nov 6 by GaryBannister86

Leon Jeanne

Always first name in my head on this topic - what a waste of natural ability. Jeanne could have been an absolutely top player but last I heard he's now doing porridge

QPR - "shit but local"

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:50 - Nov 6 with 2058 viewsaston_hoop

Scott Donnelly, Wes Daly, Dennis Oli and Angelo Balanta were all definitelty going to play for England at one point...

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:54 - Nov 6 with 2024 viewsCamberleyR

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:50 - Nov 6 by aston_hoop

Scott Donnelly, Wes Daly, Dennis Oli and Angelo Balanta were all definitelty going to play for England at one point...

Just looked up Balanta again on Wiki, was amazed to learn he's still only 33.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:56 - Nov 6 with 2003 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Christ alive, how did I forget: Jimmy Carter!

I would bunk off uni to go watch him with a mate in the Stiffs. Each week there seemed to be more people turning up, and it was to watch Carter. He was the talk of the town, and I know he went on to play at Liverpool, but he should have been nailed on England starter.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:56 - Nov 6 with 2003 viewsSK_hoops

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:14 - Nov 6 by CamberleyR

In the 1999/00 season Wardley got 14 goals (11 league, 3 cup).

http://www.qprnet.com/uploads/1/2/0/8/120823999/qpr1999.xls

I think you're probably thinking of the season after (the relegation season) when he only scored 3.

Yes, that site would only show me that season for some reason, so my initial thougbt was correct.
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:59 - Nov 6 with 1983 viewsMrSheen

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 11:17 - Nov 6 by lightwaterhoop

A specific Paul Barron-related reason, if I remember correctly.
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 12:58 - Nov 6 with 1855 viewsnumptydumpty

Andy Gray - wasn't here long

Loic Remy - likewise

Taiye Tawaio - ditto

Samba Diakite - rinse & repeat

Eduardo Vargas - as you were
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 12:59]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 13:28 - Nov 6 with 1796 viewsTGRRRSSS

Too many to mention surely.

Did Wardley get a hatrick in 4 -1 win up at Ipswich that season?

We did nrather well I recall - relegated the next season
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 13:36 - Nov 6 with 1772 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Lee Charles

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 13:42 - Nov 6 with 1766 viewselnombre

Bloke beside me, on Rowan Vine's first game back post broken leg, actually called him 'the Messiah'.

He wasn't.

Nor was Ravel Morrison, although he could have been...
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 13:43 - Nov 6 with 1757 viewsstevec

Bruno Andrade.

Had a reasonable career between National League and League One, for some reason never given much of a chance here.
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 14:01 - Nov 6 with 1713 viewsFredManRave

Roberto Baggio
Ched Evans
Peter Odemwingie
Richard Ord

Oh, and Junior Hoilet was dissapointing. Came with high hopes and expectations but delivered relatively very little, except for that assist to Zamora, of course.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 14:18 - Nov 6 with 1652 viewsHayesender

Michael Meaker. Watched him a few times for the reserves and thought he was superb, but just couldn't really step up

Poll: Shamima Beghum

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 14:48 - Nov 6 with 1587 viewsdaveB

He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 13:28 - Nov 6 by TGRRRSSS

Too many to mention surely.

Did Wardley get a hatrick in 4 -1 win up at Ipswich that season?

We did nrather well I recall - relegated the next season

He scored 2 that day I think
He’s Not The Messiah He’s A Very Naughty Boy XI on 15:02 - Nov 6 with 1563 viewsBrazilNutR

I thought Gregory Goodrige was going to be a superstar... A Barbados International!
Michael meaker too..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024