Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hodgson's England 10:34 - Mar 26 with 26985 viewsBlackCrowe

Honestly don't think i can be bothered to watch tonight.

3 months away, Hodgson should start playing as close to a first team as possible now. Time for mass scale experimentation passed a fair while ago IMO.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Hodgson's England on 15:15 - Mar 30 with 1925 viewsPunteR

Hodgson's England on 14:22 - Mar 30 by Toast_R

I think we're all jumping the gun a bit here.

The manager will have learnt lots from those two games good and bad in equal measure.
Rightly or wrongly, I doubt Hodgson would have been allowed to use the same team for two games in succession when those players are back for club duty at the weekend with both Tottenham and Leicester going for the title. That's the way it works nowadays.

It's all about picking his squad of 23 in May and I reckon he'd have gained a lot from the exercise about who not to take.

It is the way it works nowadays, and that's part of the problem for England. Hodgson knows what players can do ,he can watch them week in week out, sometimes twice a week all season. There seems to be a lot of football politics around England players which distracts from the football Imo.
Obviously if English players aren't getting picked for their clubs than that's a problem for him but I do get the impression players are more concerned about their club football than international.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Hodgson's England on 15:43 - Mar 30 with 1904 viewsdaveB

Hodgson's England on 15:02 - Mar 30 by paulparker

Danny Rose never has or ever will be a LB never mind an international one
why no cresswell ?
Agreed With Drinkwater he has to go , but I don't see it not if Wiltshire is "fit"
Walcott needs to go, he can play up top or on the right, but I see him being dropped for the lazy sturridge who shouldn't be near an England squad until he starts performing and proving his fitness

sorry Simmo but Boring doesn't win you football matches in todays football, maybe 5 or 10 years ago it could but not now, its about breaking with speed with players who can get up and down the pitch for 90 minutes (that's why sturridge & Wiltshire should not go ) its about taking your chances and getting the opposition on the back foot

the only thing we learnt last night is that Hodgson is 15 years behind in his tactics and
methods , playing milner and lallana on the wings was utter madness ,
and I reckon he will actually start with Milner against Russia as he would rather draw that game than go all out and try to win

I've only ever seen Rose play at left back for Spurs and Sunderland and he's always looked decent
Hodgson's England on 15:51 - Mar 30 with 1890 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Every since Barcelona decided to go all Harlem Globetrotters on us and beat the pants off everyone, the job specification for full-backs has changed somewhat.

Nowadays, merely being a good defender is not enough. A full-back to be deemed effective, must have the running ability of Usain Bolt, the attacking ability of the US Fifth Fleet and the crossing ability of Jesus. And yes, they must get back to defend as well.

The likes of Clyne, Walker, Rose and Baines are all excellent exponents of the art of full-backery and while none of them would get anywhere near our Starting XI, they'll do for England.

Roy's problems are not in the wide defensive areas, but trying to fathom which two lumps to play in the middle of it. That and deciding whether to pick the bloke whose arse hair is on his head from the start.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Hodgson's England on 15:59 - Mar 30 with 1882 viewsMick_S

Hodgson's England on 15:51 - Mar 30 by PlanetHonneywood

Every since Barcelona decided to go all Harlem Globetrotters on us and beat the pants off everyone, the job specification for full-backs has changed somewhat.

Nowadays, merely being a good defender is not enough. A full-back to be deemed effective, must have the running ability of Usain Bolt, the attacking ability of the US Fifth Fleet and the crossing ability of Jesus. And yes, they must get back to defend as well.

The likes of Clyne, Walker, Rose and Baines are all excellent exponents of the art of full-backery and while none of them would get anywhere near our Starting XI, they'll do for England.

Roy's problems are not in the wide defensive areas, but trying to fathom which two lumps to play in the middle of it. That and deciding whether to pick the bloke whose arse hair is on his head from the start.

That's a stirling post Mr H.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Hodgson's England on 17:19 - Mar 30 with 1830 viewsstevec

Hodgson's England on 14:56 - Mar 30 by rrrspricey

That’s a progressive way of defining a modern day CB’s role

Personally think it's quite refreshing to see an English CB willing to bring the ball out, take people on and look for something other than a sideways pass.

Yes he slipped trying to play the ball out when maybe he should passed back to the keeper but he’s young and will make the odd mistake. However, he made the first goal with a pinpoint pass to Milner and nearly made another when he set up Walcott who, yet again, should have done better and I for one would rather have that than any variable of the “putting the ball, the player, anything that gets in the way, into the stand” type

If Clint had fallen over he'd have taken the Dutch bloke with him.

Ball playing centre backs give lazy midfielders the easy option, classic case last night. It's not like the movement got better it actually got worse. Compare with German game, nobody wanted to risk Cahill and Smalling getting near the thing when in possession.

Clint for England.
Hodgson's England on 21:42 - Mar 30 with 1793 viewsderbyhoop

Hodgson has got a range of attacking options, the best squad for many a year. His difficulty will come with selecting the right players and the system that works best for those players. That's what the friendlies are for. To find the right combination.
Defensively, I don't think we are anything like good enough to win the Euros.

The selection of the 23 will be interesting.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Hodgson's England on 22:00 - Mar 30 with 1789 viewsdaveB

Hodgson's England on 17:19 - Mar 30 by stevec

If Clint had fallen over he'd have taken the Dutch bloke with him.

Ball playing centre backs give lazy midfielders the easy option, classic case last night. It's not like the movement got better it actually got worse. Compare with German game, nobody wanted to risk Cahill and Smalling getting near the thing when in possession.

Clint for England.

If Clint had taken the man with him would have been a penalty and red card. Stones made a mistake, it happens but we should be encouraging players to play from the back rather than knock it out of them. If Stones was Spanish we'd be raving about him and wondering why we don't have similar players
Hodgson's England on 23:15 - Mar 30 with 1758 viewsPunteR

Hodgson's England on 14:45 - Mar 30 by simmo

There is some real over exaggeration on this thread.... We played 2 games in 4 days, with 2 different systems to start with and 2 separate groups of players. The Germany game was likely close to the first 11 and way we would want to play, the Holland game was to see who else could do what jobs in the squad using a different formation and approach. As such, I think we learned a lot.

- Danny Rose can be our LB
-Drinkwater be relied upon at the base of midfield to cover or be an alternative for Dier
-Walcott can be introduced and stretch play but struggled as part of a front 2
-If we want to amend our play to control possession, we're capable of doing that. (You'll find that for the Holland game we not only played to maximise keeping the ball, but also Forster played the ball out to feet constantly, obviously under instruction to do so and try something different. It got us in trouble a times, but rather learn our limitations now than in France!)
-Can the players switch systems if needs be and who suits what positions in that system, i.e 4-3-3 against Germany and if we want 2 strikers playing centrally, 4-1-2-1-2 (narrow diamond). It turns out that some people did well in this system (Drinkwater, Lallana, Vardy, Barkley) and some struggled with it (Milner, Sturridge, Walcott).

People complain about Woy picking Milner - well this was the first time he's featured at all for the last 5 games for England, so he obviously doesn't see him as first choice but there's nothing wrong having a look in this scenario to see what he can provide.

This is EXACTLY what these friendlies are for, whats the point in setting up the same way with the same players because you already know that works? It's not what these games are for, they are for experimenting, working out who can do what and how flexible you can be, then taking that learned information into a tournament.

I'm fine with what I have seen so far, albeit the game last night was pretty boring at times! But then sometimes, we might need to be boring....

"whats the point in setting up the same way with the same players because you already know that works? "

The point being,they get more matches to play as a team and build momentum leading up to a tournament . Its constant change for England, but then in the tournaments it's back to playing safe anyway with so called experienced players that bottle it. Maybe this time we're getting it right.

Login to get fewer ads

Hodgson's England on 23:31 - Mar 30 with 1750 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Maybe someone has slipped something in my food, but I've not been this positive about England since 2002.

I really can't marry up the gripes on this thread with the two England fixtures I just saw.
Hodgson's England on 00:00 - Mar 31 with 1735 viewsPunteR

Hodgson's England on 23:31 - Mar 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Maybe someone has slipped something in my food, but I've not been this positive about England since 2002.

I really can't marry up the gripes on this thread with the two England fixtures I just saw.

Maybe I'm being overly negative for the sake of it.
We'll see in the summer,like I said the proof is in the pudding. If we get knocked out in the first round than whose going to remember that performance against the Germans.
I got to admit we seem to have more players who are attack minded,could be good if Hodgson lets off the reign's a bit and doesn't try and play it safe.
We'll see.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2016 0:06]

Hodgson's England on 00:53 - Mar 31 with 1715 viewskensalriser

Hodgson's England on 23:31 - Mar 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

There are some on here who, after enjoying a night of unbridled passion with Kelly Brook, would complain that the bedside tissues weren't soft enough.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2016 0:59]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Hodgson's England on 01:13 - Mar 31 with 1710 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hodgson's England on 00:00 - Mar 31 by PunteR

Maybe I'm being overly negative for the sake of it.
We'll see in the summer,like I said the proof is in the pudding. If we get knocked out in the first round than whose going to remember that performance against the Germans.
I got to admit we seem to have more players who are attack minded,could be good if Hodgson lets off the reign's a bit and doesn't try and play it safe.
We'll see.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2016 0:06]

Definately wasn't aimed at you! There is being critical in a reasonable way as you were, and there is being down right bitter and negative for the sake of it. That goes for QPR and life in general too.

I'm not delusional, I would not be surprised if we get banged in the gob by all three sides in the summer, but this team feels serious to me.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2016 1:15]
Hodgson's England on 09:52 - Mar 31 with 1670 viewssimmo

Hodgson's England on 23:15 - Mar 30 by PunteR

"whats the point in setting up the same way with the same players because you already know that works? "

The point being,they get more matches to play as a team and build momentum leading up to a tournament . Its constant change for England, but then in the tournaments it's back to playing safe anyway with so called experienced players that bottle it. Maybe this time we're getting it right.

Well considering we're still at a point where we don't know which 23 players are being taken I would suggest these 2 friendlies should have been there to help us work on very different things and see what would need tweaking, etc.

Once we have announced the squad we have a few other friendly games pre-tournament, that will be the time to pick and play roughly your '1st team' and allow them more time to gel and build as a team. That being said it's still a squad game so you have to be tactically flexible enough that you know you can change systems/players and make sure the players have some experience of those changes. As above I don't see anything wrong with the preperation so far and apart from a few individuals that I don't think deserve picking, I am excited for the summer and personally think we will make the QF's, which is good work for a young team in transition.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Hodgson's England on 18:34 - Mar 31 with 1611 viewswhittocksRs

Any team with Smalling in it is going to struggle against decent strikers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024