Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The "Red Wall" 21:28 - Sep 14 with 2739 viewsSouthamptonfan

Anyone else really disappointed with the atmosphere in the stadium? Even at nil nil, it seemed really quiet, yet we have 7 thousand fans behind the goal. The lack of interaction between the home and away support makes the atmosphere really dull and subdued. The interaction between the old Itchen North and Northam all stood up between a bunch of rowdy away fans made things entertaining in the stands if not on the pitch. The away fans now are right next to a load of quiet Saints fans, who just sit there. It's very calm, quiet and subdued in the stadium and it's certainly not impacting results.
[Post edited 14 Sep 21:41]

Poll: Who are you voting for?

The "Red Wall" on 22:33 - Sep 14 with 2182 views1ASIN12

I thought it was good for the 1st 30 mins or so , then like the team it faded away .
The "Red Wall" on 22:35 - Sep 14 with 2173 viewsgrumpy

It might help if we scored.
The "Red Wall" on 22:56 - Sep 14 with 2128 viewsSouthamptonfan

The "Red Wall" on 22:35 - Sep 14 by grumpy

It might help if we scored.

Very true, but when we go one down, it's silent apart from the away fans singing in the corner. Last year was different in that the away fans singing right next to our lively lot, got our lively lot aggravated and many times we then started singing in response, even when losing. The fans near the away fans now, just sit there in silence, and don't react to anything. The fans in the Northam are too far away to react to anything and it's like a morgue. Even at the beginning of the game, it doesn't seem loud.
[Post edited 14 Sep 22:59]

The "Red Wall" on 00:25 - Sep 15 with 2009 viewscocklebreath

The "Red Wall" on 22:33 - Sep 14 by 1ASIN12

I thought it was good for the 1st 30 mins or so , then like the team it faded away .

Disagree, I’m in block 3 and it was subdued from the start, probably the early kick off time. I think it’s gonna be along old season with not much to shout about.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

The "Red Wall" on 09:47 - Sep 15 with 1682 viewsdirk_doone

I can't recall it ever being better for a 0-3 home defeat. The only difference was that until they scored their 2nd goal the United fans seemed much more subdued than usual and, because they were in a corner, you noticed them less. Usually, when they were behind the goal in the Northam, they would have been tiresomely deafening for the entire game.

We've lost our first 4 league games and haven't scored a goal at home yet this season. How do you think fans at any club would react to that? They'd probably be booing and jeering already.
[Post edited 15 Sep 9:50]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

The "Red Wall" on 09:50 - Sep 15 with 1662 viewsgrumpy

The performances at home this season would subdue anyone.
The "Red Wall" on 10:03 - Sep 15 with 1630 viewsA1079

I always thought this supposed issue about changing where the home fans were was a load of BS anyway. I have been going to games for the best part of 45 years and we are just not the most vocal of fans. We have our moments and it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation. We respond well when we believe the team is responding well. But, the team will argue they need us to lift them. We are not bad fans we are just not the most vocal - equally though, we are probably more patient than most other fans.
The "Red Wall" on 10:48 - Sep 15 with 1562 viewsSouthSeaSaint

The "Red Wall" on 09:50 - Sep 15 by grumpy

The performances at home this season would subdue anyone.

Any one have the stats regarding home results in the Prem going back to the Puel days.
Its no wonder the atmosphere at SMS is subdued as, apart from last season, our home form in recent times has been dire, including an FA Cup defeat by 4th tier Grimsby.
Login to get fewer ads

The "Red Wall" on 12:42 - Sep 15 with 1479 viewsfranniesTache

Moving the away fans was one of the biggest mistakes the club has made to be honest. To think we'd have 6k people who want to stand and make noise all game is naive at best, to think they don't need the away fans to interact with is just dumb.

Yesterday was my first game in the new "wall" as i was away for Forest and my take aways with are that I knew within about 3 minutes i was going to need to move out, it's considerably worse than the Itchen North was, weirdly obsessed with the blue few (i counted four different songs about them in 6minutes in the first half).

Also the layout of the "rails" means it feels way too cramped and i feel for the nippers in there because there's no way they can see if people are all stood, and if they stand on the seats to get a view then it's actually more dangerous for them
The "Red Wall" on 12:44 - Sep 15 with 1479 viewssaintwizzler

But the reason we were so poor last time out in the PL was because the away fans were behind the goal, the same place they’d been since the ground was opened, and moving them would make us better on the pitch!!

Should of left it alone.

The atmosphere will be good if the team is on the pitch and winning.
Not about home ends and the location of the away fans.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

The "Red Wall" on 12:47 - Sep 15 with 1471 viewsfranniesTache

The "Red Wall" on 12:44 - Sep 15 by saintwizzler

But the reason we were so poor last time out in the PL was because the away fans were behind the goal, the same place they’d been since the ground was opened, and moving them would make us better on the pitch!!

Should of left it alone.

The atmosphere will be good if the team is on the pitch and winning.
Not about home ends and the location of the away fans.

If singing about the skates non stop is good atmosphere i think i'd prefer to sit in silence to be honest.

Genuinely considering moving to the Chapel to be honest, as i'm not sure i can handle the inbetweeners "BANTZ", moaning and genuinely strange people around us
The "Red Wall" on 14:01 - Sep 15 with 1345 viewssaintwizzler

The "Red Wall" on 12:47 - Sep 15 by franniesTache

If singing about the skates non stop is good atmosphere i think i'd prefer to sit in silence to be honest.

Genuinely considering moving to the Chapel to be honest, as i'm not sure i can handle the inbetweeners "BANTZ", moaning and genuinely strange people around us

I sit in Block 30 under the TV cameras and comparing the last two games to ones before it has been quieter from the Northam End.

I believe that when the away fans were there the Southampton fans either side of them used to ‘bounce’ off them in terms of noise.

It was louder.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

The "Red Wall" on 14:02 - Sep 15 with 1342 viewsDorsetIan

Plenty of moronic moaning in the Chapel and I'm pretty sure I've been sitting next to away fans for the last two games. Absolutely silent, not even talking to each other (dead giveaway) and no reaction at all when the penalty was given.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

The "Red Wall" on 15:09 - Sep 15 with 1228 viewscocklebreath

The "Red Wall" on 14:02 - Sep 15 by DorsetIan

Plenty of moronic moaning in the Chapel and I'm pretty sure I've been sitting next to away fans for the last two games. Absolutely silent, not even talking to each other (dead giveaway) and no reaction at all when the penalty was given.

Increasingly I’m sat near people who don’t seem interested in the match, 2 youngsters sat in absolute silence no reaction to anything mainly on phone it’s just weird, I seem to be the only one getting excited, I feel out of place when I jump up when something happens.

The "Red Wall" on 15:10 - Sep 15 with 1226 viewsSouthamptonfan

The "Red Wall" on 14:01 - Sep 15 by saintwizzler

I sit in Block 30 under the TV cameras and comparing the last two games to ones before it has been quieter from the Northam End.

I believe that when the away fans were there the Southampton fans either side of them used to ‘bounce’ off them in terms of noise.

It was louder.

This is what it seems like to me as well. It seems quieter across the whole stadium, as there just isn't any interaction at all. It's just silent, as those near the away support don't bother with any interaction, they just sit there in silence too.

But the attendances are back up to 31,000 plus, so it's what the club wanted. No need to close sections near the away support, as those near the away support are the quiet ones who just sit there in silence with the louder ones in the Northam. Except they aren't that loud because there is nothing to cheer on the pitch and no away fans near them to wind up either. It's all very dull , calm and quiet. Everyone sat near me now seems very relaxed but it's just boring. A million miles away from that West Brom game and any game in the Championship last season.
[Post edited 15 Sep 15:12]

The "Red Wall" on 15:14 - Sep 15 with 1202 views1teeminants

I’ve had season tickets in every stand and you won’t want to be in the chapel. I started there when the ground opened and couldn’t wait to get out it , really was depressing in there .

The best atmosphere I’ve heard at St Mary’s was West Brom in the play offs. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the loudness and the passion, flares etc . We can do it when we want to . The lack of quality songs has always been a problem. Todays nippers need to sort it out.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

The "Red Wall" on 15:25 - Sep 15 with 1148 viewssledger

that 2nd half would have killed the most passionate of fans
The "Red Wall" on 15:32 - Sep 15 with 1126 viewsfranniesTache

The "Red Wall" on 15:14 - Sep 15 by 1teeminants

I’ve had season tickets in every stand and you won’t want to be in the chapel. I started there when the ground opened and couldn’t wait to get out it , really was depressing in there .

The best atmosphere I’ve heard at St Mary’s was West Brom in the play offs. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the loudness and the passion, flares etc . We can do it when we want to . The lack of quality songs has always been a problem. Todays nippers need to sort it out.

Yeah but the difference now is the away fans are over there so gives you something to interact with.

Personally i can't keep going back to the northam "wall" as that's probably going to end with me giving up on going to games. It's just full of the worst kind of saints fans who i try and avoid given half the chance.

It's actually really hard to explain just how bad it is if you've not been there, a mix of the worst soccer am banter, obsessing over the skates and then people just stood there in silence.
The "Red Wall" on 15:32 - Sep 15 with 1126 viewswibbersda

I watched this on the box and the away section was coming through a lot louder, maybe mic placement.
The "Red Wall" on 15:55 - Sep 15 with 1087 viewsgrumpy

The "Red Wall" on 15:32 - Sep 15 by wibbersda

I watched this on the box and the away section was coming through a lot louder, maybe mic placement.

I only heard the away fans when they were winning.
The "Red Wall" on 17:35 - Sep 15 with 948 viewscocklebreath

The "Red Wall" on 15:32 - Sep 15 by franniesTache

Yeah but the difference now is the away fans are over there so gives you something to interact with.

Personally i can't keep going back to the northam "wall" as that's probably going to end with me giving up on going to games. It's just full of the worst kind of saints fans who i try and avoid given half the chance.

It's actually really hard to explain just how bad it is if you've not been there, a mix of the worst soccer am banter, obsessing over the skates and then people just stood there in silence.

I think that’s just St Mary’s full stop. After westbrom play off game I thought things might change but first 2 games it’s been worse than ever.

The "Red Wall" on 18:35 - Sep 15 with 848 viewsSouthamptonfan

The "Red Wall" on 17:35 - Sep 15 by cocklebreath

I think that’s just St Mary’s full stop. After westbrom play off game I thought things might change but first 2 games it’s been worse than ever.

It's also the Premier League. I dont think our fans are any different to others. The West Brom game gave us something to get excited about and our fans responded. Some of the atmospheres, home and away were great last season because it was fun winning games.

It was a serious question when fans were asked on many social media sites, would you rather stay in the Championship than go up. It's boring, isn't it keep losing and not getting anywhere. Wolves, Everton, Leicester, Ipswich, Saints are all in the same boat. The three promoted sides went down last season and they are all near the bottom this season. The clubs straggling financially Wolves, Everton, Palace will struggle in the league, we all know it. You can't get anywhere in this league unless you invest heavily. Everyone knows it and become numb to it. Man City, Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool lead the way. They are all the richest clubs. It's so predictable.

Yes Fulham, Brighton, Brentford have proved that it's possible to do reasonably well and they are clearly well run and managed but they won't win a thing. It must also be boring finishing midtable every year.
[Post edited 15 Sep 18:39]

The "Red Wall" on 19:03 - Sep 15 with 771 viewsPatfromPoole

The Northam should be half-decent, but 90% of the people in there will only make any noise if we are winning.

I was in a group of 4 at the back of Block 41 who were singing pretty much all game, but largely on our own. Nobody was joining in.

People just aren’t interested in supporting the team if we’re not winning.

Parsons must be regretting quite a few decisions that have been made since we won the play-offs….

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

The "Red Wall" on 07:50 - Sep 16 with 530 views1teeminants

The "Red Wall" on 15:32 - Sep 15 by franniesTache

We do have some very odd looking fans and many who have no interest in singing or showing an ounce of passion which I’ve always found a bit weird.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

The "Red Wall" on 08:34 - Sep 16 with 470 viewsJoiedevivre

What is with the flags before kick off? I’m all for fan-made banners like Liverpool - through the years I can think of ‘skate busters’, ‘Channon is bionic’, ‘Super Saints’ etc

But the Northam wall version is way too manufactured. We need less club control in fan culture. Allow banners, but ones home made by our own fans which they can bring with them. Not the generic 2 designs held by everyone and bought on the cheap.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024