Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton, Stick or twist? 19:06 - Apr 2 with 72459 viewsRangersDave

Ok, so we arent doing as well as most of us thought we would.

However, we all know we should have had a new striker in during the last window, but didnt and this appears it might have been a mistake.

If form continues the way it is, Stoke etc will beat us, and we will be almost where we were last season......ergo no real improvement, and a squad thats fat, old, lazy, or comtractually obliged to play every game.

However, next season will need more players, as some will be leaving us, so who do you want to pick those players and next seasons formations?

So, do we keep Warburton (Stick) or do we get rid (twist)

I will start this........ Twist

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 00:16 - Apr 24 with 2290 viewsHooparoo

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 23:22 - Apr 23 by Hunterhoop

I’m in a slightly weird frame of mind on this and disagree with pretty much everyone on this thread.

I lean towards stick.

But I’ll be fine with whatever Les and Hoos do.

I just don’t think anyone can or should be “100%” in either camp.

He’s done a good job, speak well, and decent alternatives appear thin on the ground.

But he’s never got a team promoted from this league (our aim), our form for 3 months is relegation form, and I’ve heard stories I’ve been told in confidence that would make you seriously question his judgement.

It’s not black and white. Anyone who thinks it is, is in the wrong.

Les and Hoos have done an excellent job. I’ll support and trust in whatever decision and route they’ll take. And I’ll get behind my team fully. And I’ll renew.

Sorry mate, accidentally down arrowed you(fat fingers small iPhone). Agree with all that. Hasn’t Hoos worked with Sean Dyche before?

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 00:19 - Apr 24 with 2282 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

STICK FFS
we'd be mental to sack him now. no manager on earth could have done much better with the few players he had left, and a season with strikers that werent really scoring goals.

Who would we get? Who would come? Why rebuild the entire bloody team for a new manager all over again? This is insane talk.

Reduced wages, got us playing good football, he's sensible and straightforward, give him another season to keep building.

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 00:24 - Apr 24 with 2261 viewsHooparoo

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 00:19 - Apr 24 by UPPERLOFTNZ

STICK FFS
we'd be mental to sack him now. no manager on earth could have done much better with the few players he had left, and a season with strikers that werent really scoring goals.

Who would we get? Who would come? Why rebuild the entire bloody team for a new manager all over again? This is insane talk.

Reduced wages, got us playing good football, he's sensible and straightforward, give him another season to keep building.

We wouldn’t be sacking him, his contract is up. At the very least we need to have a thorough review of what the hell has suddenly gone wrong. Glad I’m not paying for the crap we’ve been served since February 1st.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 01:12 - Apr 24 with 2178 viewsDamo1962

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 20:25 - Apr 23 by DejR_vu

Why would the players need the manager to motivate them in a must win game?

It's his job...but I get your point. Players always get away far too lightly IMHO.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 01:17 - Apr 24 with 2167 viewsDamo1962

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 23:15 - Apr 23 by NottsQPR

The only, and I mean only man that should be considered should Warbs go is Ainsworth.

People can say what they like about his style of football but we need a degree of pragmatism.

Our budget would be like caviar and truffles for him.

He loves Rangers and he must be desperate for a next step.

Genuinely wouldn’t countenance anyone else.

I would have Ainsworth too. Has learnt his trade, and his team's have a backbone we lack. Couldn't give a shite if some don't like his style.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 01:19 - Apr 24 with 2165 viewsDamo1962

I’m in a slightly weird frame of mind on this and disagree with pretty much everyone on this thread.

I lean towards stick.

He’s done a good job, speak well, and decent alternatives appear thin on the ground.

But he’s never got a team promoted from this league (our aim), our form for 3 months is relegation form, and I’ve heard stories I’ve been told in confidence that would make you seriously question his judgement.

Les and Hoos have done an excellent job. I’ll support and trust in whatever decision and route they’ll take. And I’ll get behind my team fully. And I’ll renew.

You question his judgement... yet still back him 😂 Tell me more 🧐
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 01:36 - Apr 24 with 2161 viewsaston_hoop

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 23:15 - Apr 23 by NottsQPR

The only, and I mean only man that should be considered should Warbs go is Ainsworth.

People can say what they like about his style of football but we need a degree of pragmatism.

Our budget would be like caviar and truffles for him.

He loves Rangers and he must be desperate for a next step.

Genuinely wouldn’t countenance anyone else.

Do you think Ainsworth would get time to do a job here? This is the beginning of his Wycombe career in League 2. Took him 6 years of rebuilds to finally get them up. Would he have survived season 2 with our fans? Season 4? 5?

Season 1 - 15th
Season 2 - 22nd (avoided relegation to the conference on goal difference)
Season 3 - 4th (lost in the playoff final)
Season 4 - 13th
Season 5 - 9th
Season 6 - 3rd (promoted)

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 01:40 - Apr 24 with 2156 viewsgobbles

Stick
Login to get fewer ads

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:00 - Apr 24 with 2030 viewsdmm

It looks to me that Stickers tend to post after a win and Twisters tend to post after a loss. The underlines how visceral and game focused most football supporters are. It's understandable given the match itself is a huge part of the football experience for fans.

The board, however, will have to take an objective and longer term view before making their decision over Warburton's future at QPR, and indeed the future of QPR itself. Let's hope they get it right.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:25 - Apr 24 with 1992 viewsNortholt_Rs

Twist. No manager can survive 8 losses in 10 games. He’s gone already.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:36 - Apr 24 with 1975 viewsdaveB

Unless we get someone better I don't see the point of changing but I do think they'll twist, this is a terrible run
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:42 - Apr 24 with 1946 viewsstevec

My belief, MW is a good manager of younger players who learn from him, particularly when experienced players are brought in to play alongside. The problems start when the older players see his limitations. For the best of the younger players, it wouldn’t take long before their heads get turned too.

He’s done a good job overall but this cycle will keep rearing up if we stay with him. Wouldn’t be surprised if the words out in football that playing CF at QPR under this regime is a thankless task.

Whoever comes in has a broken team to contend with and a likely troublesome period going into the World Cup break. In some respects it might suit to let MW carry that flak and then get someone else in. Tough times for the rest of this year but change is needed.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:48 - Apr 24 with 1939 viewsWoog

Stick.
He regularly punches above the squad's weight, given the (uninjured) players available to him.
And don't expect any better than we are doing without giving him the ammo - look at the squad's of the teams going up this year - Fulham, Bournemouth, Forest.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:50 - Apr 24 with 1933 viewsDiscodroids

I now think the club will twist. The castratus performance yesterday with so much at stake suggests to me that the wheels may already be in motion behind the scenes. Pure speculation on my part.

I haven't kept abreast of managers since Jmmy Broomfield wore a polyester kipper tie and Baron John Raincoat in the dugout so no suggestions . I always fancied Kenny Jackett here 3 or 4 years ago but his stock is now lower than Keith Moons doing a runner from an East Berlin knocking shop.

My footballing knowledge is stuck in the age of believing that signing Ian Bishop and Alex Rae would win us the 92/93Premiership. I'm Neolithic man in this modern world of 21st century football. I've no answer, i can only hope the current board and Upper management have one. I have my Doubts.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2022 8:55]

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 09:02 - Apr 24 with 1908 viewsBerkoRanger

I have been reading all the threads with much interest and given this much much thought and I think there is an unknown with all of this - will the current owners really be interested in yet another squad rebuild on another tight budget? Why, on earth would they - so far there has been no word from the owners.
How many of us were complaining early in the season about the large, quality squads the likes of Fulham, Bournemouth, Boro and Forest had amassed - and look at the seasons they've had!
Let's also not forget the wealthy groups falling over themselves to buy our neighbours. They can't all be successful. QPR could be a great, cheaper option.
Let's see what happens here first, because with new owners, someone like Dyche is a real possibility.
We all love QPR but are we really excited by yet another financially restricted squad rebuild?
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 09:19 - Apr 24 with 1847 viewsenfieldargh

I lean towards stick.

I’ve heard stories I’ve been told in confidence that would make you seriously question his judgement.

Come on Hunter spill the beans.

Does it have anything to do with Marco Ramkilde?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 09:20 - Apr 24 with 1842 viewsJamesB1979

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 09:02 - Apr 24 by BerkoRanger

I have been reading all the threads with much interest and given this much much thought and I think there is an unknown with all of this - will the current owners really be interested in yet another squad rebuild on another tight budget? Why, on earth would they - so far there has been no word from the owners.
How many of us were complaining early in the season about the large, quality squads the likes of Fulham, Bournemouth, Boro and Forest had amassed - and look at the seasons they've had!
Let's also not forget the wealthy groups falling over themselves to buy our neighbours. They can't all be successful. QPR could be a great, cheaper option.
Let's see what happens here first, because with new owners, someone like Dyche is a real possibility.
We all love QPR but are we really excited by yet another financially restricted squad rebuild?

I think whichever way we go there’s going to be a rebuild. 4 loan players will go, Moses injured and 1 year contract, likely go unfortunately. Based on our financials, I think Willock will be sold. Possibly Dieng too. Doesn’t Barbet also want to leave? Whoever is in charge, they’ve got to do a lot of work over the summer. Austin and Stef are 32 and 31. They’ve not been great but they’re not exactly finished in my view. Got to get a then back to somewhere near their high standards to progress next season.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 09:22 - Apr 24 with 1831 viewsPunteR

Yeh we all know the drill now. I think the board will twist. I didn't see the game yesterday but sounds to me like Warburton has lost the dressing room.
Personally I think we should stick for another season, presuming Warburton wants to stay. Players are going to move on I'm sure and if we are left with a young team and go back to that development philosophy but playing good football that's fine by me.
We kind of wobbled when perhaps the remit changed and promotion became the priority. Which it should be priority of course, competing for that trophy, but we're just not ready for that ,clearly.
Having said all that if Les has got a decent replacement lined up with continuity in mind then maybe twist, but tbh I don't have the same trust as some on here do that those upstairs have a grand plan and are sticking to it.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 09:25 - Apr 24 with 1796 viewsHunterhoop

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 01:19 - Apr 24 by Damo1962

You question his judgement... yet still back him 😂 Tell me more 🧐

Quite simple really. I think he’s made some big mistakes that lead me to think his judgement isn’t perfect and he’s not nearly as good s manager and leader many think on here.

However, he has improved the side in his 3 years, had us challenging for the top 6, and had the team play some good stuff at times. Players like Willock, and Eze before have improved significantly under his management into highly sellable assets which is what keeps the club financially stable, preventing an implosion.

Alternatives are thin on the ground. So I don’t see an obvious candidate either. Dyche wouldn’t come here, but also, i’m not sure he’s right for us. Eustace? Who knows. Hard to feel he’ll get the improvement to take us into the playoffs given he’s been part of the team for 4 years. Maybe I’m wrong.

Basically, it’s not black and white. He’s flawed and made some errors, but he may still be the best person for us. He’s not all good and certainly not all bad. And generally, teams who have long serving managers do better than those who don’t. You could say that is a chicken and egg scenario, but at some point you will have had to face the decision and kept them.

All that said, there is a lot we don’t know about what has gone on behind the scenes. If Les and Hoos decide to move on, so be it. The manager is not and should not be bigger than those two roles as the identity of a club (local efforts, develops young talent, pathway to first team, principles, good characters, etc) must be maintained, as well as the focus on surviving financially.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 09:50 - Apr 24 with 1730 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If fell out of the sky this morning and knew nothing of QPR, from reading this forum I never would have guessed that we have had our most successful season in a decade.

I owe you £50 PaulParker. Let me know where you want it sent.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:00 - Apr 24 with 1687 viewsuwontbegrinningsoon

I don't think we had a really strong in depth squad this season. I am not surprised we have ended up outside the playoff. Warbs has done reasonably well with the squad he has. I think the initial Dykes injury was significant even with strong players such as Chair and Willock playing. I would keep our manager.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:09 - Apr 24 with 1660 viewsPastCaringNW2

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:25 - Apr 24 by Northolt_Rs

Twist. No manager can survive 8 losses in 10 games. He’s gone already.

No, they can. It is isn't about the run itself, it is about what happens recruitment wise in the close season ...

Memorably Gerry went 2-0-8 at the end of the 1998-99 season , kept his job and lifted the club to 10th the following season with a rag bag squad bolstered by youth and some shrewd acquisitions and one of the more unlikely scoring double-acts in Rs history.

Harry went 1-2-7 at the end of the 2012-2013 season. Austin, Dunne, Simpson, O'Neill came in as permanent signings (only one for a transfer fee). No promotion without at least three of those four.

For balance Holloway went 2-1-7 at the end of the 2016-17 season and kept his job when he probably shouldn't have and yet to prove the point recruitment was awful that summer. Bright the best of the bunch and then he played less than half the games. Though, on the other side of the coin, despite the slumps, they were still able to attract Eze, Chair, Freeman and Dieng to the club the same season so they were getting something right.

It's never purely a binary stick/twist. There is no such thing as stick in any case as fitness, form and the market changes everything every close season even with the same management in place. It's the strategic "and then what" that matters.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:22 - Apr 24 with 1625 viewsjeffranger

I like Warbs but can’t see us getting out of this rut we are in & continuing at the start of next season, think that’s what the board might think, need fresh idea’s & style of play
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:01 - Apr 24 with 1505 viewsHeadington

Stick.
Very poor run but before that for a year (calendar year rather than season) we were in automatic promotion form. That was a terrific run when we scored for (I think) 32 consecutive league games, played some great football with many of our young players impressing and getting linked with EPL clubs.

Surely we don't want a 'rip it up and start again' manager after the progress that has been made in developing players. Also surprised that of all the names mentioned, Eustace, who has turned down two other championship clubs and is a clearly a promising young manager who knows the current squad, is rarely discussed as a credible successor.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:01 - Apr 24 with 1505 viewsbaz_qpr

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:22 - Apr 24 by jeffranger

I like Warbs but can’t see us getting out of this rut we are in & continuing at the start of next season, think that’s what the board might think, need fresh idea’s & style of play

I think the fact that you are going to have at least 10 new players will be what will shake us out of it, they will have different attributes and be keen to impress, but it could just as easily go wrong
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024