Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
rooney penalties 21:27 - Sep 8 with 6861 viewsHollowayRanger

1.how many has he scored now for England
2.cant he score a proper goal
3.hoping kane will go on and beat it

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

rooney penalties on 18:33 - Sep 9 with 1161 viewsElHoop

rooney penalties on 18:28 - Sep 9 by simmo

Top England scorers in competitive matches only (i.e. excl friendlies): Rooney 36, Owen 26, Lineker 22, Shearer 21.

Although of the 4 I would put both Shearer and Lineker as the better than Rooney, Owen - we'll never know, without injuries I think he would have smashed it.

That's not a realistic comparison. 'Competitive matches' don't involve the likes of Gibraltar and Sam Marino and Andorra and more besides. Nothing is the same - you can't compare on the basis of just numbers. It's like saying that a modern cricketer scored more runs than Boycott, it's meaningless. Rooney scored 50 - he waved his bat and that's about the sum of it, but well done anyway.
rooney penalties on 18:49 - Sep 9 with 1145 viewssimmo

rooney penalties on 18:33 - Sep 9 by ElHoop

That's not a realistic comparison. 'Competitive matches' don't involve the likes of Gibraltar and Sam Marino and Andorra and more besides. Nothing is the same - you can't compare on the basis of just numbers. It's like saying that a modern cricketer scored more runs than Boycott, it's meaningless. Rooney scored 50 - he waved his bat and that's about the sum of it, but well done anyway.

I was just showing the information, all of those players would have played against inferior opposition, just like anybody that's been mentioned on this thread. It seems a shame to diminish Rooney's achievement because he's not very popular or never became as good as he could have been. I think it's fair to both point to his lack of realised potential and still applaud him for doing more in recent times to get us to finals and win games than anyone else.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

rooney penalties on 19:10 - Sep 9 with 1119 viewsHollowayRanger

HE WANTS AND WILL BE THE MOST CAPPED player next already has 107 shilton had 125 still im hoping joe hart will make 150

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

rooney penalties on 22:06 - Sep 9 with 1081 viewsconnell10

well i like him so bollox to ya!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

rooney penalties on 11:51 - Sep 10 with 1009 viewsqpr1976

rooney penalties on 18:33 - Sep 9 by ElHoop

Although gibralter, San Marino, Andorra existed in Charlton's day, I'm not sure they had National football teams playing Qualifiers or even Friendlies, so it's a little harsh to compare.

Rather than play Rooney off against Charlton, perhaps we should be looking at what unites them ?

1) They are both considered Legends at ManUre scoring 369 times between them.

2) Both have irritating brothers. Although in Wayne's case it's him !

3) Folically challenged. Pubic relocation has denied us the pleasure of seeing Wayne sporting a modern day take on Charlton's windswept combover. We remain hopeful, however, of seeing a 21st century 'Scargill' following his retirement from football.

4) Probably best not mention the friendship between Wayne and Bobby's long standing Wife, Norma.......
rooney penalties on 12:23 - Sep 10 with 994 viewsPhildo

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/crowd-greets-record-breaking
rooney penalties on 13:26 - Sep 10 with 979 viewsCamberleyR

rooney penalties on 14:07 - Sep 9 by ElHoop

Charlton wasn't a striker though. You'd be better off comparing him to Fat Frank.

+1
The first few years of his England career he played as a winger or withdrawan inside forward (nowadays a "number 10") and after Ramsey took over he was played pretty much in midfield (as he also did for Man U at the time) although Ramsey did give him licence to get forward.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

rooney penalties on 13:43 - Sep 10 with 966 viewsCamberleyR

rooney penalties on 13:53 - Sep 9 by Tonto

just need to point out that Bobby Charlton scored 75% of his England goals in friendlies, and scored less goals than Rooney in Tournaments (4 in WC, 1 in Euro finals compared to 1 and 5 for Rooney)

Both must be shit then...

It's not surprising most of his goals came in friendlies as that was the majority of England's opposition between 1962-1970. He didn't have the opportunity to play in that many qualifiers.

England didn't bother entering Euro 1960. They were knocked out in the first round in 1964 as it was a straight knockout (same as 1960). The Euro 1968 tournament qualifying consisted of the 1967 and 1968 Home Internationals (6 matches) and the only WC qualifiers he took part in were for the 1962 tournament which consisted of four matches .

In total that's at most 12 qualifiers in his whole international career.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

rooney penalties on 14:28 - Sep 10 with 949 viewsqpr1976

rooney penalties on 13:43 - Sep 10 by CamberleyR

It's not surprising most of his goals came in friendlies as that was the majority of England's opposition between 1962-1970. He didn't have the opportunity to play in that many qualifiers.

England didn't bother entering Euro 1960. They were knocked out in the first round in 1964 as it was a straight knockout (same as 1960). The Euro 1968 tournament qualifying consisted of the 1967 and 1968 Home Internationals (6 matches) and the only WC qualifiers he took part in were for the 1962 tournament which consisted of four matches .

In total that's at most 12 qualifiers in his whole international career.

Good stats and fair point Camberley. you remember it almost as if you were there ?!?

Although 1960 Euros (and Qualifying) should be discounted as they happened 2 years prior to the start BC's International career.

I think the 75% point was in relation to the popular arguement that Rooney scored all his goals in Friendlies against lesser opposition. In reality, other than just prior to a major tournament, friendlies tend to be arranged against half decent opposition, at least in recent times - Brazil, Scotland, Rep/Ireland, Belgium(all under Hodgson) and next up are France, Spain & Germany !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024