Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 16:14 - Feb 6 with 14996 viewsNotLoyal

Sheffield United: Wes Foderingham, Sander Berge, Billy Sharp (captain), John Egan, Max Lowe, Anel Ahmedhodzic, Oliver Norwood, Jack Robinson, Jayden Bogle, James McAtee, Iliman Ndiaye.

Substitutes: Adam Davies, John Fleck, Chris Basham, Oli McBurnie, Ismaila Coulibaly, Ben Osborn, Ciaran Clark.

Swansea City: Andy Fisher; Kyle Naughton, Ben Cabango, Nathan Wood, Ryan Manning; Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Olivier Ntcham, Ollie Cooper, Liam Cullen, Joel Piroe.

Substitutes: Lewis Webb, Harry Darling, Joe Allen, Luke Cundle, Morgan Whittaker, Liam Walsh, Matty Sorinola.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 00:41 - Feb 12 with 1346 viewsDr_Parnassus

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 00:36 - Feb 12 by STID2017

Heat maps and buffalo horns eh ?
About as interesting as watching Dover Athletic v Afan Lido on a cold dark January evening

Well I didn’t expect it to resonate with someone like yourself, with respect.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 00:47 - Feb 12 with 1340 viewscockneyswan

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 22:21 - Feb 11 by Dr_Parnassus

This seems to be the new narrative.

Firstly he was the “cheap” option - despite us having to pay compensation for him, and when people realise that isn’t true they say “well it’s their fault for appointing him” - despite thinking it was a good appointment at the time.

There is an insatiable need to blame them for something these days.

If someone shows me a message from them 18 months ago saying it was a bad appointment, then I’ll happily allow them to say it’s the owners fault, without challenge.

But I, like most others, were excited by Martins appointment. Unfortunately he hasn’t turned out to be the manager many thought he may be, system is flawed and way too naive. On the surface he seemed a perfect fit, but deeper than that and he’s the opposite of a classic Swansea manager.

If you care to review my posts at the time of Steve Cooper 's assassination on this site, I was always a Cooper "backer" , I believe it was a big mistake by our owners not to back Cooper with a bit of money to improve the squad. Cooper has proved to be a far superior manager than Martin. Our owners are the problem with SCFC.
Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 00:51 - Feb 12 with 1329 viewsSTID2017

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 00:41 - Feb 12 by Dr_Parnassus

Well I didn’t expect it to resonate with someone like yourself, with respect.

Yes, no interest in such nonsense, with respect

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 00:53 - Feb 12 with 1322 viewsDr_Parnassus

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 00:47 - Feb 12 by cockneyswan

If you care to review my posts at the time of Steve Cooper 's assassination on this site, I was always a Cooper "backer" , I believe it was a big mistake by our owners not to back Cooper with a bit of money to improve the squad. Cooper has proved to be a far superior manager than Martin. Our owners are the problem with SCFC.

Agree, I thought Cooper was excellent, still do.

I also found the assassination of him to be particularly pathetic, and again… still do.

But this is about Martin here and them appointing him, it was a perfectly logical appointment.

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 00:56 - Feb 12 with 1314 viewsDr_Parnassus

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 00:51 - Feb 12 by STID2017

Yes, no interest in such nonsense, with respect

Yes it wasn’t designed for you.

The higher calibre thinker should definitely find it interesting though, which was the target audience.

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 01:07 - Feb 12 with 1305 viewsSTID2017

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 00:56 - Feb 12 by Dr_Parnassus

Yes it wasn’t designed for you.

The higher calibre thinker should definitely find it interesting though, which was the target audience.

"Higher calibre thinker"
Aye righto
Or maybe I prefer to deal in facts and the written word, rather than heat maps, theories and charts and arrows.
As the great Brian Clough once said " We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately the game was played on grass "

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 01:10 - Feb 12 with 1300 viewsDr_Parnassus

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 01:07 - Feb 12 by STID2017

"Higher calibre thinker"
Aye righto
Or maybe I prefer to deal in facts and the written word, rather than heat maps, theories and charts and arrows.
As the great Brian Clough once said " We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately the game was played on grass "

Yes, higher calibre of thinker.

Heat maps and angles of attack and strategy is all factual writing.

There is a reason the likes of Clough are no longer in the game. Football has improved.

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 01:13 - Feb 12 with 1298 viewsSTID2017

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 01:10 - Feb 12 by Dr_Parnassus

Yes, higher calibre of thinker.

Heat maps and angles of attack and strategy is all factual writing.

There is a reason the likes of Clough are no longer in the game. Football has improved.

Erm, the reason the likes of Clough, Shankly and Busby are not in the game is nothing to do with the game improving.
It is because they have all passed away ?
Who is to say they wouldn't do as good a job today?

Login to get fewer ads

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 01:20 - Feb 12 with 1290 viewsDr_Parnassus

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 01:13 - Feb 12 by STID2017

Erm, the reason the likes of Clough, Shankly and Busby are not in the game is nothing to do with the game improving.
It is because they have all passed away ?
Who is to say they wouldn't do as good a job today?

Incorrect, none of them died while managing.

Same reason Toshack doesn’t get any good jobs and hasn’t for decades.

Your trolling holds no bounds recently.

To think you have consciously made a decision to take me off ignore just to drag threads down with your nonsense despite both Keith and John asking you not to, for shame.

I think another period on the sidelines might be in line for you if this keeps up. It worked for a short while last time, looks overdue again.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2023 1:46]

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 02:01 - Feb 12 with 1261 viewsDr_Parnassus

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 23:59 - Feb 11 by Dr_Parnassus

This is a possession heat map of the correct way to play possession football. Similar amount of touches and passes as us.

- the angles of attack are wide which is to stretch the opposition who counter possession by condensing the field.
- the red areas of highest possession are also angling wide, you can see the patterns of play without even watching the game on this map, they are doing their best to get it wide.
- furthest most frequent attacking position reaches their danger zone (18 yard box)
- clear gap between keeper and defence keeping danger away from own danger zone.

This is a heat map of us vs Birmingham:

- pretty much a shapeless square angling inside at the points of attack rather than wide
- no angling wide in the central high frequency possession areas
- no gap between keeper and defence with an unhealthy amount of possession in our own area
- furthest most frequent attacking position is far too distant from opposition danger zone

It’s chalk and cheese. Which is why this “personnel” complaint holds no water.

If Alan Tate can do it, everyone in this squad can.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2023 0:02]

Right back to the thread, some interesting discussion points here buried beneath the nonsense of the usual suspect.

Bump

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 02:02 - Feb 12 with 1261 viewsDr_Parnassus

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 00:21 - Feb 12 by Dr_Parnassus

To follow on from this:

As a huge fan of strategy and tactics in all walks of life (many are transferable to other sectors).

Here is the Impondo Zenkomo, military formation of attack.

The strategy the Zulu (impi) warriors took to defeat their opposition, who take a set central position.

The buffalo horns.

They used width and the flanks to get around their set defensive position while keeping a strong core.

Without the horns they would have been slaughtered, it’s the horns that make the system work.

At the moment we are an Impondo Zenkomo without the horns.

Ie - completely ineffective.

And bump

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 05:23 - Feb 12 with 1212 viewsSwans9

Eustace was the clubs first choice and he turned us down to go to a very dodgy owner eventually in Birmingham. Martin mkd finished 13 scored 44 and conceded 42. For a defender he has never got close to sorting us out at the back for example conceding first in most games. Our previous owners would of got rid the run that we are on. I not Martin out just concerned with this board and would love new owners.
Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 07:25 - Feb 12 with 1182 viewsSTID2017

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 01:20 - Feb 12 by Dr_Parnassus

Incorrect, none of them died while managing.

Same reason Toshack doesn’t get any good jobs and hasn’t for decades.

Your trolling holds no bounds recently.

To think you have consciously made a decision to take me off ignore just to drag threads down with your nonsense despite both Keith and John asking you not to, for shame.

I think another period on the sidelines might be in line for you if this keeps up. It worked for a short while last time, looks overdue again.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2023 1:46]

All my posts to you are on point.
You keep on about trolling.
If by that you mean posting and discussing points you have raised then that is no different to what you do to me?
If you do not want me to read what I have posted then put me on ignore.
If I have been rude or abusive in the past week then please report it ( I haven't of course )
Otherwise stop complaining about me and accussing me of trolling, when all I am doing is what you and everyone else does on here - posting replies to your posts.
It is strange that I have started new threads or posted in reply to others, you reply to me, then later on accuse me of trolling.
As I say, either put me on ignore or stop complaining.

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 07:33 - Feb 12 with 1173 viewsDr_Parnassus

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 07:25 - Feb 12 by STID2017

All my posts to you are on point.
You keep on about trolling.
If by that you mean posting and discussing points you have raised then that is no different to what you do to me?
If you do not want me to read what I have posted then put me on ignore.
If I have been rude or abusive in the past week then please report it ( I haven't of course )
Otherwise stop complaining about me and accussing me of trolling, when all I am doing is what you and everyone else does on here - posting replies to your posts.
It is strange that I have started new threads or posted in reply to others, you reply to me, then later on accuse me of trolling.
As I say, either put me on ignore or stop complaining.

All your posts are designed to be argumentative, there is no point to them at all let alone them being “on point”.

I don’t need to “report” you, people can see exactly what you are doing. You were pulled up on it even when you claimed to have me on ignore, people said you were trying to cause arguments and looking for conflict… eventually you admitted “fishing”.

You aren’t discussing the points I’ve raised at all, you are being like a child and saying “nonsense” with no explanation, because you don’t have any. You know my points are incredibly salient so want to destroy the discussion instead of allowing it to develop.

If I respond to you then I will be able to specifically tell you where you are wrong and explain it in minute detail with accompanying proof and explanation.

By all means explain why I’m wrong about the following:

- the teams we are compared to play with a focus on width
- we do not have a focus on width
- the way we got promoted was to take advantage of the flanks
- the zulus also recognised that the best way to defeat a static and central opponent was to exploit the flanks

You are a troll and you have a sick obsession to troll this forum, it’s the exact reason you pro-actively took me off ignore and disrespected John and Keith by continuing to drag thread after thread into the gutter with your relentless and senseless rubbish.

4 points there to get you started with.

So tell me why my points are wrong, be specific, bring provable counter arguments - I will then give you the response that post deserves.

Off you go…

If you don’t wish to do that, then stop disrespecting the forum, it’s owner, the charity and it’s aims and allow the people who actually want to discuss these points, to discuss them without you bogging every single thread down with your attention seeking guff.

[Post edited 12 Feb 2023 7:52]

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 07:54 - Feb 12 with 1144 viewsSTID2017

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 07:33 - Feb 12 by Dr_Parnassus

All your posts are designed to be argumentative, there is no point to them at all let alone them being “on point”.

I don’t need to “report” you, people can see exactly what you are doing. You were pulled up on it even when you claimed to have me on ignore, people said you were trying to cause arguments and looking for conflict… eventually you admitted “fishing”.

You aren’t discussing the points I’ve raised at all, you are being like a child and saying “nonsense” with no explanation, because you don’t have any. You know my points are incredibly salient so want to destroy the discussion instead of allowing it to develop.

If I respond to you then I will be able to specifically tell you where you are wrong and explain it in minute detail with accompanying proof and explanation.

By all means explain why I’m wrong about the following:

- the teams we are compared to play with a focus on width
- we do not have a focus on width
- the way we got promoted was to take advantage of the flanks
- the zulus also recognised that the best way to defeat a static and central opponent was to exploit the flanks

You are a troll and you have a sick obsession to troll this forum, it’s the exact reason you pro-actively took me off ignore and disrespected John and Keith by continuing to drag thread after thread into the gutter with your relentless and senseless rubbish.

4 points there to get you started with.

So tell me why my points are wrong, be specific, bring provable counter arguments - I will then give you the response that post deserves.

Off you go…

If you don’t wish to do that, then stop disrespecting the forum, it’s owner, the charity and it’s aims and allow the people who actually want to discuss these points, to discuss them without you bogging every single thread down with your attention seeking guff.

[Post edited 12 Feb 2023 7:52]

If I have been offensive then report it.
Otherwise put me on ignore.
As for all these people seeing what I am doing, strange that you, who causes more arguments than any, are the only one who complains.
Anyway, I will no more put you on ignore or stop replying to you than you will to me.
Nothing to do with disrespecting the charity.
I have contributed three times already 5his season and was asked by the owner to keep posting as he sees my posts as salient.
So I will take his andJohn's thoughts and wishes over yours.
As Keith said, post respectfully and discuss issues in any way we feel happy to, just don't be abusive to others, which I haven't.
Enjoy your day.

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 07:59 - Feb 12 with 1131 viewsDr_Parnassus

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 07:54 - Feb 12 by STID2017

If I have been offensive then report it.
Otherwise put me on ignore.
As for all these people seeing what I am doing, strange that you, who causes more arguments than any, are the only one who complains.
Anyway, I will no more put you on ignore or stop replying to you than you will to me.
Nothing to do with disrespecting the charity.
I have contributed three times already 5his season and was asked by the owner to keep posting as he sees my posts as salient.
So I will take his andJohn's thoughts and wishes over yours.
As Keith said, post respectfully and discuss issues in any way we feel happy to, just don't be abusive to others, which I haven't.
Enjoy your day.

Where have I said you have been offensive?

Trolling doesn’t offend me, but it probably offends the owner of this site and what such behaviour does to threads, which destroys the forum and then affects the charity.

I’ve not asked you to put me on ignore, I’ve not asked you to stop replying to me.

If you disagree with the points I make then by all means explain specifically why.

You won’t because you can’t, and you can’t because it’s not a discussion you want, it’s to instigate a conflict with your trolling.

You are making yourself look extremely silly.

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 08:16 - Feb 12 with 1108 viewsSTID2017

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 07:59 - Feb 12 by Dr_Parnassus

Where have I said you have been offensive?

Trolling doesn’t offend me, but it probably offends the owner of this site and what such behaviour does to threads, which destroys the forum and then affects the charity.

I’ve not asked you to put me on ignore, I’ve not asked you to stop replying to me.

If you disagree with the points I make then by all means explain specifically why.

You won’t because you can’t, and you can’t because it’s not a discussion you want, it’s to instigate a conflict with your trolling.

You are making yourself look extremely silly.

I can say no more on your accusations of trolling other than to say if that is what I am doing, then so are you.
Keith has not expressed any issue with me replying to you, other than to keep it polite, which I am.
With regards to on topic replies to your posts, just because I don't post chapter and verse and trawl the Internet for charts, heat maps, etc in my replies to you, doesn't mean my replies are not salient.

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 08:29 - Feb 12 with 1097 viewsDr_Parnassus

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 08:16 - Feb 12 by STID2017

I can say no more on your accusations of trolling other than to say if that is what I am doing, then so are you.
Keith has not expressed any issue with me replying to you, other than to keep it polite, which I am.
With regards to on topic replies to your posts, just because I don't post chapter and verse and trawl the Internet for charts, heat maps, etc in my replies to you, doesn't mean my replies are not salient.

Not at all. I’m doing nothing the same as you whatsoever.

I put forward an excellently researched football post and raised points for discussion on the thread. That is what adds value to the site, promotes it as a good place to discuss football and furthers the charities aims.

You have spent a page and a half telling the forum how “non-interested” you are in those points. I don’t think I’ve ever felt the need to actively repeatedly respond and destroy a thread in response to posts I openly have no interest in. That would be extremely odd and impolite behaviour (something you have been requested to refrain from).

As I said, if you wish to tell me why you disagree with my points in detail then feel free. You don’t automatically have salient points just because you respond, you earn them with your content.

If you aren’t interested in the posts I make them leave them for the people that are, instead of destroying the threads in protest of your “disinterest”. It’s not all about you.

That’s what trolls do.

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 09:16 - Feb 12 with 1044 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Can we keep on post and make comments on the abysmal defence yet again. We have now conceded more goals than any other team except for Wigan.
Any half competent manager should be able to sort this out after nearly two seasons in charge.
There were no plus points from yesterday's performance.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 09:19 - Feb 12 with 1037 viewsKeithHaynes

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 09:16 - Feb 12 by felixstowe_jack

Can we keep on post and make comments on the abysmal defence yet again. We have now conceded more goals than any other team except for Wigan.
Any half competent manager should be able to sort this out after nearly two seasons in charge.

Fisher playing well ? 😉

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 09:22 - Feb 12 with 1030 viewsSTID2017

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 09:16 - Feb 12 by felixstowe_jack

That is a shocking statistic and Martin should have been able to organise the defence better than he has.
I think Wednesday is a must win game to stop the rot and hopefully stop conceding as well

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 09:23 - Feb 12 with 1029 viewsDr_Winston

This is what I keep coming back to. We've leaked goals throughout his entire tenure. There has been not a single sign of improvement defensively despite heavy spending, including £1.5m on a central defender who could only have been hand picked by him.

Cooper's team was dull as ditchwater to watch and largely carried by Ayew but at least it could defend. That's really all you need in this division. To have the attacking talent Martin does/did and fail because of a lack of defensive organisation is a cardinal sin.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 09:33 - Feb 12 with 1004 viewsSTID2017

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 09:23 - Feb 12 by Dr_Winston

This is what I keep coming back to. We've leaked goals throughout his entire tenure. There has been not a single sign of improvement defensively despite heavy spending, including £1.5m on a central defender who could only have been hand picked by him.

Cooper's team was dull as ditchwater to watch and largely carried by Ayew but at least it could defend. That's really all you need in this division. To have the attacking talent Martin does/did and fail because of a lack of defensive organisation is a cardinal sin.

I agree that our defending at times has been shocking.
It is a shame because with a tight defence, we would be in the top six at this point.
Hopefully from Wednesdsy we will start seeing some improvement

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 09:37 - Feb 12 with 987 viewsDr_Parnassus

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 09:33 - Feb 12 by STID2017

It is a shame because with a tight defence, we would be in the top six at this point.

“is a shame because with a tight defence, we would be in the top six at this point. “

If you have a solid defence then you tend to sacrifice the attacking side of things. There is no way we would score the amount we do if we made the chances necessary to tighten up the defence.

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 09:38 - Feb 12 with 988 viewsDr_Winston

Sheffield United v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 22;23 on 09:33 - Feb 12 by STID2017

It's unlikely that we're going to see some improvement from Wednesday since we've been waiting for it since August 2021.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024