Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All EFL fixtures suspended 10:44 - Mar 13 with 17588 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

All EFL fixtures suspended on 12:48 - Mar 14 with 1482 viewsmonmouth

All EFL fixtures suspended on 12:43 - Mar 14 by Badlands

NHS & social care underfunding of the last 10 years, loss of EU workers in the care industry and health over the last 4 years and phenomenal borrowing programme announced last week should come to haunt the Tories. However MSM will spin it to make them look like heroes.
Given how unprepared our government (and others) have been to this crisis an invasion be over in days.

On a Swans issue.
If the reaming games are cancelled would expect a refund on STs (just 4 games) or a range of freebies when the programme resumes?
TBH I'd be happy with no refund but free tickets to pre-season and early rounds of League and FA Cup.

A credit for future games is the obvious approach as the online system already has that functionality. Could then use it for home or away games.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

All EFL fixtures suspended on 12:56 - Mar 14 with 1476 viewsJacket

All EFL fixtures suspended on 11:40 - Mar 14 by monmouth

Big savings on pensions, care and hospitals mind. Every cloud and all that...

There is no easy answer, but I see the WHO has criticised the UK approach so what do you believe? No one knows. It's a massive lab test. I just wish everyone would work together to sort out a wider action plan than every country going it alone.

As todays U turn shows though, Johnson will shit himself when the deaths start mounting up, so expect new policy after new policy. I do actually have some sympathy for once, he is trying to do his best and listen to experts (where's the preposterous tw*t Gove now, still mouthing off?). It's just there really is no painless way to deal with this thing. The state of the NHS will come into sharp focus though, and the imbalance of deaths in poor areas. This might just be a catalyst for social change, if I'm still alive to see it, being an old git with a history of pneumonia and bronchitis.

To be fair, they're consistent in their inconsistency. Their decision making started in a chaotic manner and will continue in that vein. Others, EFL, FA, FAW, WRU belatedly are making the responsible decisions for them.

A cluster is developing in the Swansea Bay area by the looks of it, and now they're telling people to self diagnose and wait 7 days for a test. We need to know how widespread this is now, not in 7 days time. We would then know which schools and workplaces they need to shut down now, not in 7 days time. If it's decised a ban on large gatherings is required, it is required now not next weekend.
All EFL fixtures suspended on 13:20 - Mar 14 with 1441 viewsploppy

All EFL fixtures suspended on 12:56 - Mar 14 by Jacket

To be fair, they're consistent in their inconsistency. Their decision making started in a chaotic manner and will continue in that vein. Others, EFL, FA, FAW, WRU belatedly are making the responsible decisions for them.

A cluster is developing in the Swansea Bay area by the looks of it, and now they're telling people to self diagnose and wait 7 days for a test. We need to know how widespread this is now, not in 7 days time. We would then know which schools and workplaces they need to shut down now, not in 7 days time. If it's decised a ban on large gatherings is required, it is required now not next weekend.

Who are the "we" that need to know? If you're a medical professional, virologist or behavioural scientist, or even an economist, then fair enough (and please say if you are) otherwise unfortunately your opinion is pretty worthless. There are good arguments for not closing schools, not least the question of who is going to look after the children - in many cases it would be grandparents, which is not ideal in this scenario. And as one expert said, it's naive to think that children wouldn't mix with each other anyway. Personally, I'm happy to accept the government's approach as long as it's based on advice from experts in the field even if it conflicts with other countries' approaches. And no, I don't need to see the data/analysis, as has been suggested elsewhere. Trouble is, everyone's a frickin expert at the moment.
All EFL fixtures suspended on 13:22 - Mar 14 with 1439 viewsraynor94

All EFL fixtures suspended on 13:20 - Mar 14 by ploppy

Who are the "we" that need to know? If you're a medical professional, virologist or behavioural scientist, or even an economist, then fair enough (and please say if you are) otherwise unfortunately your opinion is pretty worthless. There are good arguments for not closing schools, not least the question of who is going to look after the children - in many cases it would be grandparents, which is not ideal in this scenario. And as one expert said, it's naive to think that children wouldn't mix with each other anyway. Personally, I'm happy to accept the government's approach as long as it's based on advice from experts in the field even if it conflicts with other countries' approaches. And no, I don't need to see the data/analysis, as has been suggested elsewhere. Trouble is, everyone's a frickin expert at the moment.

Excellent post👏

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

All EFL fixtures suspended on 14:10 - Mar 14 with 1408 viewsJacket

All EFL fixtures suspended on 02:51 - Mar 14 by TimTtam

This isn't going to end well. There are 3 likely outcomes:

1) The season is cancelled completely, and all results and points are void. Liverpool may/may not be given the title
2) The season is continued as soon as possible
3) The season stops, but all excess points are carried over to the 2020/21 season. Eg Barnsley start on 0pts and Leeds on 37pts

And the consequences:

1 - Teams in title-winning positions (Liverpool), highly likely to be promoted (West Brom, Leeds, Coventry), and deep in the relegation zone (Norwich, Barnsley, Southend, Bolton) will either suffer or be saved
2 - The end of the season would clash with the start of 2020/21 and set that season back. It also impacts loan deals and the transfer window. There's also no guaranteed starting date this season
3 - Some similar to #1, but this is the best option I think

Any of these scenarios clashes with the Conference. 10/12 games are going ahead today. If they decide to finish the season, then the 2 promoted sides won't be able to enter League 2 immediately, or even at all. That would be cruel to Barrow and Harrogate, who are having great seasons.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 2:52]

For me it's option 2 come hell or high water. Too much money involved. Amateurish decisions will have huge financial ramifications for the PL and the EFL, even if it means two matches every week next season and the scrapping of the League Cup and Nations League.
All EFL fixtures suspended on 14:48 - Mar 14 with 1375 viewsProfessor

Talksport on twitter suggesting plan is for Liverpool to get the title (which is probably right), no PL relegation with Leeds and WBA promoted. 22 team league for one season with no EFL cup or Nations league to allow later season start. No details of lower divisions. Could work with 2 up 4
down for a few seasons. Perhaps an expansion to 94 clubs. Ultimately only an extra 4 mid week PL games -
More if season starts later of course
All EFL fixtures suspended on 15:00 - Mar 14 with 1362 viewsjasper_T

All EFL fixtures suspended on 13:20 - Mar 14 by ploppy

In this sort of situation an economist is the last person you should be listening to. They (and this government) don't give a shit about you as long as some numbers on a spreadsheet get bigger, and their mates all get richer. Saving lives doesn't factor into the calculations.

When we're the outlier in terms of the global response that should really worry you. It's not as if we have anywhere near the amount of experience dealing with outbreaks that many other nations have. Europe is the epicentre for the virus now, the lockdowns and extensive testing in China, Korea etc. have successfully arrested the spread there.
All EFL fixtures suspended on 15:34 - Mar 14 with 1332 viewsladyjack

Is the National League still going ?, I wonder what will happen if it's still going and Wrexham have a home game (not referring to players having viruses either but governance).
Login to get fewer ads

All EFL fixtures suspended on 15:53 - Mar 14 with 1314 viewsunion_jack

All EFL fixtures suspended on 14:48 - Mar 14 by Professor

Talksport on twitter suggesting plan is for Liverpool to get the title (which is probably right), no PL relegation with Leeds and WBA promoted. 22 team league for one season with no EFL cup or Nations league to allow later season start. No details of lower divisions. Could work with 2 up 4
down for a few seasons. Perhaps an expansion to 94 clubs. Ultimately only an extra 4 mid week PL games -

Can’t agree with this. The season should be null and void if fixtures can’t be fulfilled.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

All EFL fixtures suspended on 15:59 - Mar 14 with 1303 viewskarnataka

All EFL fixtures suspended on 14:48 - Mar 14 by Professor

That's all very well but it still raises a few issues.

What happens to clubs that are in playoff positions, particularly those who are in positions where automatic promotion is still a very realistic possibility? I think a fairer solution would be needed.

As for expanding to 94 clubs, if no football is played before, say, September, a lot of lower league clubs could well have gone out of business long before then. Who knows, there may not be more than about 60-70-odd clubs left who have survived let alone the current 92. The lower you go down the league pyramid, the more significant ticket sales are. Even when we were in the EPL, ST sales were a drop in the ocean compared with TV rights money. Tranmere reckon they will lose £30-35k just this afternoon and Shrewsbury reckon they could lose as much as £200-250k if they don't play again this season. Not convinced clubs like that would survive losses on that scale.
All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:04 - Mar 14 with 1301 viewsploppy

All EFL fixtures suspended on 15:00 - Mar 14 by jasper_T

In this sort of situation an economist is the last person you should be listening to. They (and this government) don't give a shit about you as long as some numbers on a spreadsheet get bigger, and their mates all get richer. Saving lives doesn't factor into the calculations.

When we're the outlier in terms of the global response that should really worry you. It's not as if we have anywhere near the amount of experience dealing with outbreaks that many other nations have. Europe is the epicentre for the virus now, the lockdowns and extensive testing in China, Korea etc. have successfully arrested the spread there.

I only say economists because ultimately the economy affects us all (pensions, etc). I don't buy the "don't give a shit narrative". There have been some very interesting and rational discussions on TV this week (Daily Politics, Newsnight, etc) and they've included behavioural scientists and economists, as well as the obvious medical experts. And no, I'm not really worried, thank you. And I'll listen to who I want to, thank you, but I tend to listen to experts - and ultimately the government.
All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:10 - Mar 14 with 1294 viewsjasper_T

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:04 - Mar 14 by ploppy

I only say economists because ultimately the economy affects us all (pensions, etc). I don't buy the "don't give a shit narrative". There have been some very interesting and rational discussions on TV this week (Daily Politics, Newsnight, etc) and they've included behavioural scientists and economists, as well as the obvious medical experts. And no, I'm not really worried, thank you. And I'll listen to who I want to, thank you, but I tend to listen to experts - and ultimately the government.

Every other government in the world thinks ours is bonkers. Even the US media is dunking on our idiot PM.

Keep on listening to the group of experts who are being given UK TV time, though. There are many, many more out there (including those in the worst-effected areas) who are baffled by what they're hearing.
All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:11 - Mar 14 with 1290 viewsjasper_T

All EFL fixtures suspended on 15:34 - Mar 14 by ladyjack

Is the National League still going ?, I wonder what will happen if it's still going and Wrexham have a home game (not referring to players having viruses either but governance).

National League is officially still going on but a list of fixtures were cancelled due to players being isolated among other things (Wrexham's was off, Yeovil and Torquay's games where we have lads on loan as well).
All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:14 - Mar 14 with 1286 viewsjasper_T

An expert.
All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:17 - Mar 14 with 1283 viewsladyjack

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:11 - Mar 14 by jasper_T

National League is officially still going on but a list of fixtures were cancelled due to players being isolated among other things (Wrexham's was off, Yeovil and Torquay's games where we have lads on loan as well).

Wrexham is a Welsh team, what happens when they have a home game during this crisis what is the FAW ruling due to the virus ?
All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:24 - Mar 14 with 1276 viewsTimTtam

All EFL fixtures suspended on 15:34 - Mar 14 by ladyjack

Five 3pm games currently on:

Maidenhead v Stockport
Sutton v Hartlepool
Notts County v Eastleigh
Dover v Chesterfield
Fylde v Aldershot
And Halifax v Ebbsfleet hasn't been postponed yet.

Wrexham's away match got postponed because one of their players is being tested for the virus.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:25 - Mar 14 with 1274 viewsploppy

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:10 - Mar 14 by jasper_T

Every other government in the world thinks ours is bonkers. Even the US media is dunking on our idiot PM.

Keep on listening to the group of experts who are being given UK TV time, though. There are many, many more out there (including those in the worst-effected areas) who are baffled by what they're hearing.

Well, you've just exposed yourself by referring to the PM as an idiot. Maybe that's colouring your judgement.
He's making the decisions but he's being guided by the UK's medical experts.
All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:30 - Mar 14 with 1261 viewsladyjack

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:24 - Mar 14 by TimTtam

Five 3pm games currently on:

Maidenhead v Stockport
Sutton v Hartlepool
Notts County v Eastleigh
Dover v Chesterfield
Fylde v Aldershot
And Halifax v Ebbsfleet hasn't been postponed yet.

Wrexham's away match got postponed because one of their players is being tested for the virus.

The FAW have stopped all football at domestic level so what does that mean for Wrexham when they are due to play at home on Welsh soil ?
All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:30 - Mar 14 with 1260 viewsjasper_T

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:25 - Mar 14 by ploppy

Well, you've just exposed yourself by referring to the PM as an idiot. Maybe that's colouring your judgement.
He's making the decisions but he's being guided by the UK's medical experts.

Exposing myself is exactly what that buffoon would have me do. History will not look kindly on him or his expert advice.
All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:32 - Mar 14 with 1254 viewsploppy

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:30 - Mar 14 by jasper_T

Exposing myself is exactly what that buffoon would have me do. History will not look kindly on him or his expert advice.

So you're Mystic Meg now? Anyway, I'm done. Rock on.
All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:32 - Mar 14 with 1252 viewsTummer_from_Texas

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:14 - Mar 14 by jasper_T

An expert.

Funny, I posted the same thing without comment in another thread about the American president yesterday, and some nasty deranged psycho told me to get stuffed and strangely accused me of gloating.

But in all seriousness, I hope your leadership in the UK is doing everything it can to protect all of y'all, including tight travel restrictions, until this crisis passes.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:35 - Mar 14 with 1243 viewsTimTtam

All EFL fixtures suspended on 14:10 - Mar 14 by Jacket

For me it's option 2 come hell or high water. Too much money involved. Amateurish decisions will have huge financial ramifications for the PL and the EFL, even if it means two matches every week next season and the scrapping of the League Cup and Nations League.

The latest talk is that the EPL and EFL may be suspended until September at the earliest. Certainly April will not be when we get football back.

Option 3 just seems logical to me. No one can really argue with it. It essentially gives teams in successful positions the points they had already earned, and means any struggling teams don't get out of jail. It would allow the league to start fresh, without punishing Liverpool, Leeds etc. If the season had to be started in September/October, the EFL Cup could skip a year, the EFL Trophy final could be played as a one-off, and the FA Cup, Europa, & Champions Leagues could continue from where they left off at a suitable date.

You're right, it will cost clubs though. Some lower league clubs rely on a successful Cup campaign to fund their transfer windows. Lets watch and see what the clowns at the EFL do (or don't do) to help them financially.

My name is Matt

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:35 - Mar 14 with 1239 viewsTimTtam

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:30 - Mar 14 by ladyjack

The FAW have stopped all football at domestic level so what does that mean for Wrexham when they are due to play at home on Welsh soil ?

It will probably be postponed. The National League will postpone all matches next week anyway I'd imagine.

My name is Matt

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:37 - Mar 14 with 1234 viewsladyjack

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:32 - Mar 14 by Tummer_from_Texas

Funny, I posted the same thing without comment in another thread about the American president yesterday, and some nasty deranged psycho told me to get stuffed and strangely accused me of gloating.

But in all seriousness, I hope your leadership in the UK is doing everything it can to protect all of y'all, including tight travel restrictions, until this crisis passes.

The English led UK Government have their own experts who seem to have a different plan to the rest of the World, there are some clever British people about mind you after it's all over Britain might come out of it as the strongest country in the World again and USA might become one of our colonies again, you never know.
All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:40 - Mar 14 with 1224 viewsladyjack

All EFL fixtures suspended on 16:35 - Mar 14 by TimTtam

It will probably be postponed. The National League will postpone all matches next week anyway I'd imagine.

I would guess so but if it didn't it would be interesting to see what would happen.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024