Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. 12:52 - Oct 24 with 8548 viewsSnipper

We have an absolute gem in Sam Field. Which begs the question, how the hell did West Brom let him leave? What was it that they didn’t like?

Danny Maddix is another one we picked up from Tottenham on a free transfer.

What transfer mistakes have QPR made by letting players go for a pittance at the time?

Which other clubs have made big mistakes with players?
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 16:03 - Oct 24 with 1921 viewsCamberleyR

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 15:46 - Oct 24 by Toast_R

How about Birmingham buying Clinton Morrison for 4.25 million and throwing in Andy Johnson as part of deal?

Genius bit of business by Steve Bruce.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 16:06 - Oct 24 with 1912 viewsQPRSteve

Jose Bosingwa should never had been let go. Should have been publicly executed in the centre circle. Would have drawn the biggest crowd of the season.
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 17:18 - Oct 24 with 1818 viewsNorthernr

Dougie Freedman, back in the day, probably not a bad shout, given what he achieved.
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 17:21 - Oct 24 with 1796 viewsNorthernr

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 13:06 - Oct 24 by nix

Sam Allardyce was the WBA manager at the time, I think. Which probably explains everything.

Paolo Wanchope.,

https://loftforwords.fansnetwork.co.uk/forum/225925/i-loved-my-time-at-qpr-by-pa

Wanchope is of course the correct answer to this question.
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 17:32 - Oct 24 with 1736 viewsDWQPR

Stan to Forest in 1979. He didn’t want to leave the club and had he stayed we would have got straight back to Division One.

Phil Parkes to Wham. No need to have sold although I suspect that the money went on Docherty’s rebuild during the summer of months 1979 with the likes of Woods, McCreery, Currie and Hazell coming in.

Stainrod to Sheff Wednesday. Thanks to that wánker (copyright Peter Hucker), Mullery.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 17:35 - Oct 24 with 1730 viewsLblock

Didn't Super Ray Wilkins come to us on a freebie as her was perceived as too old?

If there was a fee then it was best described as reasonable when you consider what a fantastic Indian Summer of his career he had here.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 17:44 - Oct 24 with 1724 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Ned Zelic
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 18:13 - Oct 24 with 1643 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 15:07 - Oct 24 by BrianMcCarthy

I think we did really well to keep him for as long as we did, to be fair. And he could have demended a move a year or two prior if he'd been like other players we had.

He said recently in a interview that he blew Man United out a season or two before he moved.

Imagine that 94’ United side with Cantona and Ferdinand up front.
Login to get fewer ads

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 18:19 - Oct 24 with 1610 viewsDorse

Dom Ball.

You'll see. You'll all see.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 18:19 - Oct 24 with 1610 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 17:35 - Oct 24 by Lblock

Didn't Super Ray Wilkins come to us on a freebie as her was perceived as too old?

If there was a fee then it was best described as reasonable when you consider what a fantastic Indian Summer of his career he had here.

Great call.

I think he was a free transfer, but I'm not 100% either.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 18:44 - Oct 24 with 1566 viewsflynnbo

Selling Paul "School End Stand" Goddard was hard to take especially as some believed him to be better than Clive Allen. A great goalscoring partnership ended all too soon and they were "two of our own"!
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 20:40 - Oct 24 with 1482 viewsstanistheman

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 13:03 - Oct 24 by CamberleyR

Jimmy Carter and Dougie Freedman off the top of my head stick out for me. Carter we let go to Millwall for £15k and Freedman we let go on a free.

We also let Ian Muir leave for free and he scored loads for Tranmere.

Also freed Gavin Peacock.
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 20:45 - Oct 24 with 1473 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 20:40 - Oct 24 by stanistheman

We also let Ian Muir leave for free and he scored loads for Tranmere.

Also freed Gavin Peacock.

Good call on Peacock, which was strange as his Dad was here at the time, I think?

Didn't know about Ian Muir.

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 21:15 - Oct 24 with 1422 viewsNoelmc

Although we never actually had him on our books, we effectively let local boy Stuart Pearce 'leave' by not signing him up after a trial with us.
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 21:16 - Oct 24 with 1420 viewsNLondonHoop

Gary Bannister
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 21:32 - Oct 24 with 1400 viewsloftus77

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 18:44 - Oct 24 by flynnbo

Selling Paul "School End Stand" Goddard was hard to take especially as some believed him to be better than Clive Allen. A great goalscoring partnership ended all too soon and they were "two of our own"!

I'm surprised it got to the 2nd page....

Many good claims on here but, absolutely, it just has to be Paul Goddard to West Ham (1980?) doesn't it? A brilliant player in a brilliant partnership. And if there was any doubt that this was the biggest mistake of all, he scored a hat-trick against us at Upton Park not long after, no?

Terrible mistake.
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 21:57 - Oct 24 with 1363 viewsLogman

David Kerslake.

At the time went to Swindon, I believe. But later joined Spurs and was a ball playing central midfielder who seemed to be the next in line after Gerry, Tony Currie, Mick Fillery ...
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 22:06 - Oct 24 with 1346 viewsQPRSteve

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 21:57 - Oct 24 by Logman

David Kerslake.

At the time went to Swindon, I believe. But later joined Spurs and was a ball playing central midfielder who seemed to be the next in line after Gerry, Tony Currie, Mick Fillery ...

Watched him a lot in the youth and reserves and thought he was a nailed on England international. Unfortunately contracted glandular fever and was not quite the same player after that, losing some of his pace.

Got converted to a full back after he left us. Went from Swindon to Glasgow Rangers and then Spurs.
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 22:11 - Oct 24 with 1340 viewswombat

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 22:06 - Oct 24 by QPRSteve

Watched him a lot in the youth and reserves and thought he was a nailed on England international. Unfortunately contracted glandular fever and was not quite the same player after that, losing some of his pace.

Got converted to a full back after he left us. Went from Swindon to Glasgow Rangers and then Spurs.

Poison midget but Dennis wise was another , who had a pretty decent career , trained with us after leaving Southampton for ages we didn’t take him because he’s a poison little midget

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 09:31 - Oct 25 with 1162 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 21:15 - Oct 24 by Noelmc

Although we never actually had him on our books, we effectively let local boy Stuart Pearce 'leave' by not signing him up after a trial with us.

John Barnes as well, though I'm not sure that's 100%.

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 09:45 - Oct 25 with 1123 viewsfrancisbowles

Mick Beale. He said he had a trial here but wasn't offered a contract.

Could have been ours, years ago. Think where we would be now!
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 09:52 - Oct 25 with 1117 viewsAntti_Heinola

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 09:31 - Oct 25 by BrianMcCarthy

John Barnes as well, though I'm not sure that's 100%.

Barnes says in his book he wanted to play for us as a local club, but don't think we ever had him on our books, so not one we let go.
Marcus Gayle was a QPR fan who we missed out on early too.

Bare bones.

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 10:01 - Oct 25 with 1097 viewslangtoft

Passed up taking Wegerle on a free from Tampa. Eventually righted that wrong but cost us £1m to do so
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 10:08 - Oct 25 with 1071 viewsnadera78

Paul Furlong was let go when he was 18, dropping into non-league before being signed by Coventry. To be fair though, even then it still took him a fair while to develop into a top class Championship centre forward.
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 10:10 - Oct 25 with 1063 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 09:52 - Oct 25 by Antti_Heinola

Barnes says in his book he wanted to play for us as a local club, but don't think we ever had him on our books, so not one we let go.
Marcus Gayle was a QPR fan who we missed out on early too.

No, you're right.

The rumour was that both Barnes and Pearce were on trials with us and in the same week we declined to sign both - Barnes for money reasons and Pearce for footballing reasons.

But I've never heard that from anyone who was 100% sure.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024