Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v Rio Ave : Match day friendly 14:37 - Aug 2 with 11437 viewsModeratorC

This post has been edited by an administrator
Swansea City v Rio Ave : Match day friendly on 08:04 - Aug 4 with 814 viewsDr_Winston

Swansea City v Rio Ave : Match day friendly on 07:14 - Aug 4 by jack247

That’s a bold statement. With the exception of Duff, they’ve all had more success than failure and would be well out of our range now.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but as fans, the reality is managers invariably know far more about football than we do, even the likes of Bradley.

They all failed here.

Maybe Grimes basically being the key man and playing every minute of every game for a team that hasn't looked like getting out of the division for six years isn't the gotcha that some people seem to think it is?

Again, I don't think that Grimes is a bad player. He has however consistently underperformed compared to what he is capable of, and quite often when in full momentum killing mode been more of a hindrance to the team than a help. Is he technically a better player than Fulton? Yes he is. Are the vast majority of his performances better than Fulton? No. They're broadly similar and contribute broadly the same. Worse when played together.

Also nobody has ever come up with a reason why these other, now out of our range managers ever bothered to come back for him if he was that essential, or why there were no serious offers for him from anywhere when they could have had him for free.

Maybe you're right. Maybe they do know more about football than most after all.
[Post edited 4 Aug 8:05]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea City v Rio Ave : Match day friendly on 08:49 - Aug 4 with 711 viewsjack247

Swansea City v Rio Ave : Match day friendly on 08:04 - Aug 4 by Dr_Winston

They all failed here.

Maybe Grimes basically being the key man and playing every minute of every game for a team that hasn't looked like getting out of the division for six years isn't the gotcha that some people seem to think it is?

Again, I don't think that Grimes is a bad player. He has however consistently underperformed compared to what he is capable of, and quite often when in full momentum killing mode been more of a hindrance to the team than a help. Is he technically a better player than Fulton? Yes he is. Are the vast majority of his performances better than Fulton? No. They're broadly similar and contribute broadly the same. Worse when played together.

Also nobody has ever come up with a reason why these other, now out of our range managers ever bothered to come back for him if he was that essential, or why there were no serious offers for him from anywhere when they could have had him for free.

Very debatable.

Potter was poached by a PL club, fans universally wanted him to stay
Cooper walked after reaching the playoffs twice in two years
Martin was poached by a bigger club who had just been relegated from the PL

We’ll never agree on Grines and Fulton being similar. The ‘attributes’ they share are dropping too deep when we’re trying to play out from the back and not having the pace to get back and cover when we get turned over. That aside they couldn’t be more different as central midfielders.

There’s a fairly simple reason they haven’t come back in for him, they’ve all gone on to bigger clubs with better players. Grimes isn’t the next Xavi, he’s just the best we’ve had for six years (excluding Downes and Allen when fit and he’s still the best partner for them) Why sign him when there’s better already at your new club?

You never know this season, we may get a scenario where Allen gets fit for a sustained period and Franco makes that slot his own. I’d be all for dropping him then.
Swansea City v Rio Ave : Match day friendly on 08:53 - Aug 4 with 692 viewsRichardO

Fine line between knowing when to get tight to players to stop the ball being played through or around us or dropping off to keep our shape to not over exposing us to skilful , fast or experienced players using their abilities to take on players one on one in any part of the pitch.
Really do think too many of our players are getting caught out of position without any cover. Is that because of individuals or a team issue up to a coach to rectify,.
Yesterday Eom and Abdulai swapped position early in the game and Franco came onto the left on the midfield, both coaches descions? If so it is a good sign for the season ahead adapt the team to cover perceived threats and enhancing ours.
Early second half some dodgy descions on the field did the coach make changes again to rectify? Think so and got the best out of the players.
Hopefully the coach can get his descions right often.
Swansea City v Rio Ave : Match day friendly on 08:56 - Aug 4 with 682 viewssw02sea

Every time I see their names together on the same team sheet, I instantly think of walking football.
Grimes reminds me of a cat we once had. He wondered around the place in no particular hurry, occasionally bringing in a prize of a mouse, then going to sleep in his favourite chair zzzzzz
Swansea City v Rio Ave : Match day friendly on 09:13 - Aug 4 with 634 viewsjack247

Swansea City v Rio Ave : Match day friendly on 08:56 - Aug 4 by sw02sea

Every time I see their names together on the same team sheet, I instantly think of walking football.
Grimes reminds me of a cat we once had. He wondered around the place in no particular hurry, occasionally bringing in a prize of a mouse, then going to sleep in his favourite chair zzzzzz

I think you’ll be ok this season.

Eom will play
Franco will play
Ronald will play

I think Abdulai will play. Not quite sure if Eom goes wide or as a 10, whether Abdulai is wide or central, but those four and Grimes will all get game time. Allen too as and when. I think Fulton will mainly be used to protect leads or as injury cover.
Swansea City v Rio Ave : Match day friendly on 10:00 - Aug 4 with 536 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Rio Ave : Match day friendly on 08:04 - Aug 4 by Dr_Winston

They all failed here.

Grimes is exasperating .
He is a tremendous professional. But not a captain for me
He can play but why we rely on him totally is just plain wrong .
If he loses the ball or mispasses it he is stumped owing to his lack of pace .
As for other managers,I’m not sure why Cullen has always invariably been in the squad when we have had alternat,though we haven’t had up to now,which is another question .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024