Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 128505 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 09:47 - Jul 4 with 1314 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 09:21 - Jul 4 by FDC

I'm not basing that observation on social media "whining" I'm basing it on the frequent opinion polling on the issue.

This is May’s but pertinent to your point I think

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49366-british-attitudes-to-the-israel-gaz

Can only speak for myself but international conflict plays a huge part in my voting intention. Gaza in particular a red line.
[Post edited 4 Jul 9:48]
General Election Thread on 10:00 - Jul 4 with 1243 viewsToast_R

General Election Thread on 09:44 - Jul 3 by Discodroids

That was actually quite funny. Someone has way too much time on their hands... or is it the Russians?
General Election Thread on 10:01 - Jul 4 with 1241 viewscolinallcars

Two candidates expected to do very well today - Gerry Mandering (Acton North), and Phil O'Buster(perivale East).
General Election Thread on 10:20 - Jul 4 with 1188 viewsLanhoop

--- Climbs on hobbyhorse. ---

Vote. Please.

Being allowed to vote in a free and open election is a privilege that millions across the world don't have and would dearly like. People die for the chance. Don't take it for granted.

Don't spoil your vote. That proves nothing, use it.

Vote for someone, anyone. Except that lot obviously, don't vote for them. Choose someone else.

--- Climbs off hobbyhorse ---
General Election Thread on 10:22 - Jul 4 with 1174 viewshubble

So, we're going to get a new government. Maybe it's because I've just had a cup of coffee and the sun is shining, but I can't help feeling optimistic, in the same way that I feel optimistic at the start of every new football season (bar last!). I know this is an utterly naive optimism, but I can't help feeling it.

There is always the hope that our country can come together for the better, and there's no doubt we need to erase the toxic legacy of the last 14 years. We have become a deeply divided nation under the Tories, and no matter what your political persuasion, that is not a good thing.

My wish for the changing of the guard is that we can come together as nation and feel good about this country, instead of constantly denigrating it. It's an old saw that England only ever win anything in football under a Labour government. So basically, it's down to Gareth Southgate...

Anyway, I am looking forward to the new season. I have enjoyed debating this election with you all, even those who have vehemently opposed my views. We might as well accept that underneath it all, we are all united by our common humanity. And here, at least, we're all Rangers. Come on URRRRRRssss.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

General Election Thread on 10:22 - Jul 4 with 1167 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 08:44 - Jul 4 by Watford_Ranger

In the age of social media I think it’s easy to mistake a loud whining minority as being representative of a majority. People have far better things to worry about mostly.

I accept that many would not consider Gaza to be a priority in how they vote today, but your comment that "People have far better things to worry about mostly" is extraordinarily galling.
General Election Thread on 10:27 - Jul 4 with 1134 viewsEsox_Lucius

And today's sountrack is ...

The grass is always greener.

General Election Thread on 10:33 - Jul 4 with 1101 viewsstowmarketrange

General Election Thread on 10:20 - Jul 4 by Lanhoop

--- Climbs on hobbyhorse. ---

Vote. Please.

Being allowed to vote in a free and open election is a privilege that millions across the world don't have and would dearly like. People die for the chance. Don't take it for granted.

Don't spoil your vote. That proves nothing, use it.

Vote for someone, anyone. Except that lot obviously, don't vote for them. Choose someone else.

--- Climbs off hobbyhorse ---

For the first time in 45 years I didn’t know where to put my cross.I couldn’t vote for the tories,even though they will obviously still win up here.
The labour clown was suspended for betting on the Tory to win.I couldn’t bring myself to support Farage and his storm troopers,and we had 3 independent candidates standing,so that would be a wasted vote.
The choice was between the Greens or Lib Dems.It was hopefully a tactical vote to oust Frank Spencer for the greedy party.
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 10:37 - Jul 4 with 1073 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 10:22 - Jul 4 by dmm

I accept that many would not consider Gaza to be a priority in how they vote today, but your comment that "People have far better things to worry about mostly" is extraordinarily galling.

Galling maybe but I expect it’s true. Cost of living, your kid’s school, the NHS, social care, crime, immigration and whatever else in varying orders. Anyone for whom it’s their number one concern is in a privileged minority.
General Election Thread on 10:37 - Jul 4 with 1069 viewscolinallcars

General Election Thread on 10:33 - Jul 4 by stowmarketrange

For the first time in 45 years I didn’t know where to put my cross.I couldn’t vote for the tories,even though they will obviously still win up here.
The labour clown was suspended for betting on the Tory to win.I couldn’t bring myself to support Farage and his storm troopers,and we had 3 independent candidates standing,so that would be a wasted vote.
The choice was between the Greens or Lib Dems.It was hopefully a tactical vote to oust Frank Spencer for the greedy party.

I know quite a few people in Suffolk as I visit frequently. They are mostly Labour and a couple of Tories but they are all voting Lib Dem this time.
General Election Thread on 10:42 - Jul 4 with 1048 viewsslmrstid

I've been out to cast my vote this morning as I started my run (polling station just 400m away). Guy on the door saw me coming and assumed I didn't have ID until I whipped it out the bum pocket in my shorts. Charming.

One thing that's actually big for me on a local level, whether its general elections or council elections, is do the candidates in my area live in my area? The party I've voted for does have its candidate living in the constituency, but if they didn't I wouldn't vote for them even if I backed the party.

Our Conservative candidate for Leicester West however, has his address in Chelsea & Fulham, and our Reform one in Melton & Syston.

How can people expect to represent an area, or understand the needs and concerns of its residents, if they can't be bothered to live there? Get in the sea with that garbage.
General Election Thread on 10:54 - Jul 4 with 1015 viewsSydneyRs

I would encourage everyone to help in the utter destruction of the Conservative party today. It is no more than they deserve after the last few years and hopefully its a learning experience for them.

As for the S*n turncoats now supporting Labour, that should reassure anyone worried that a bunch of mad "woke leftists" are about to take over. Wouldn't it be nice to see a day where newspapers and other media outlets aren't telling anyone who to vote for?

Popcorn ready, hopefully a few big names fall in Michael Portillo style. Look how much nicer he is doing TV shows about trains in colourful clothing than he was as a politician.
General Election Thread on 11:03 - Jul 4 with 982 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 10:37 - Jul 4 by Watford_Ranger

Galling maybe but I expect it’s true. Cost of living, your kid’s school, the NHS, social care, crime, immigration and whatever else in varying orders. Anyone for whom it’s their number one concern is in a privileged minority.

The bombing of Yemen on behalf of Israel cost £19,000,000. That’s before we include the 60 flights to Israel whose purpose remain unknown.

That’s 680 nurse salaries.

If the moral consequences of 30,000 dead children aren’t a consideration, fine, but consider the fiscal ones.

https://www.declassifieduk.org/rishi-sunaks-yemen-war-has-cost-up-to-19m/#:~:tex

https://www.declassifieduk.org/60-british-war-planes-have-landed-in-israel-since
General Election Thread on 11:29 - Jul 4 with 893 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 10:42 - Jul 4 by slmrstid

I've been out to cast my vote this morning as I started my run (polling station just 400m away). Guy on the door saw me coming and assumed I didn't have ID until I whipped it out the bum pocket in my shorts. Charming.

One thing that's actually big for me on a local level, whether its general elections or council elections, is do the candidates in my area live in my area? The party I've voted for does have its candidate living in the constituency, but if they didn't I wouldn't vote for them even if I backed the party.

Our Conservative candidate for Leicester West however, has his address in Chelsea & Fulham, and our Reform one in Melton & Syston.

How can people expect to represent an area, or understand the needs and concerns of its residents, if they can't be bothered to live there? Get in the sea with that garbage.

Depends. Often you’re probably right. If it’s an expensive area and young candidate they’ve maybe been priced out. Maybe they grew up there and moved away. There should really be a limit of X miles or something but I think being in a close constituency is fine or you’d be restricting candidates in some affluent areas to being either wealthy or in council.
General Election Thread on 11:32 - Jul 4 with 886 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 11:03 - Jul 4 by BazzaInTheLoft

The bombing of Yemen on behalf of Israel cost £19,000,000. That’s before we include the 60 flights to Israel whose purpose remain unknown.

That’s 680 nurse salaries.

If the moral consequences of 30,000 dead children aren’t a consideration, fine, but consider the fiscal ones.

https://www.declassifieduk.org/rishi-sunaks-yemen-war-has-cost-up-to-19m/#:~:tex

https://www.declassifieduk.org/60-british-war-planes-have-landed-in-israel-since

I’m not opening a link from those nutty grifters but honestly it’s not a topic I’m going to pretend to understand in amazing detail but have had some insight into over the course of my life from both sides and as money spent goes it would be well down my list of ‘wastes’ to be irked about. Others will disagree and that’s fine. Others will consider it a big priority and not vote how they otherwise would and that’s fine too. I just can’t say it’s up there compared to all the other stuff just as Ukraine wasn’t/isn’t.
General Election Thread on 11:42 - Jul 4 with 857 viewsstowmarketrange

General Election Thread on 10:37 - Jul 4 by colinallcars

I know quite a few people in Suffolk as I visit frequently. They are mostly Labour and a couple of Tories but they are all voting Lib Dem this time.

I thought long and hard about the best option to oust the Tory here,but I think it’s a forlorn hope rather than a probability as they’ve always had a Tory here,except when Poulter jumped ship to labour 3 months ago.
I have only seen 1 Tory poster though,so there maybe some hope.
General Election Thread on 11:44 - Jul 4 with 848 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 11:32 - Jul 4 by Watford_Ranger

I’m not opening a link from those nutty grifters but honestly it’s not a topic I’m going to pretend to understand in amazing detail but have had some insight into over the course of my life from both sides and as money spent goes it would be well down my list of ‘wastes’ to be irked about. Others will disagree and that’s fine. Others will consider it a big priority and not vote how they otherwise would and that’s fine too. I just can’t say it’s up there compared to all the other stuff just as Ukraine wasn’t/isn’t.

‘Nutty grifters’ 😆

Part of this country’s problem is we prefer £3m journalists who pull burgers out their top pockets and talk about nationalising sausages.

[Post edited 4 Jul 11:47]
General Election Thread on 11:59 - Jul 4 with 805 viewsE17hoop

General Election Thread on 10:42 - Jul 4 by slmrstid

Local councillors are required to live in the borough they represent, although it's not necessary for GE candidates.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

General Election Thread on 12:02 - Jul 4 with 776 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 11:44 - Jul 4 by BazzaInTheLoft

‘Nutty grifters’ 😆

Part of this country’s problem is we prefer £3m journalists who pull burgers out their top pockets and talk about nationalising sausages.

[Post edited 4 Jul 11:47]

What a cheap stunt that completely misses the issues around meat. Nick Robinson really is a crap journalist.
General Election Thread on 13:06 - Jul 4 with 623 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 18:50 - Jul 3 by Discodroids

What accusation was that Hubbs? has Sheffield been banned?

No, not been banned, just been focusing my energy on other (Hopefully more productive) things.

I was going to write "nonces" in the boxes until I took that test - https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/ - and got 100% reform on the 3 key issues - did it again with all the options selected, and got Reform for all but 1. That'll be that then. Plus, we all know how powerful people in this country love to punish the rest of us for telling the truth.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

General Election Thread on 13:11 - Jul 4 with 619 viewsStainrod

I'm voting Lib Dem. Above all I want to see the back of the Tories. For me the Conservatives are best summed up by Baroness Mone who has now admitted that she lobbied to get a massive govt contract for her husband's company. And also admitted lying about it. Forget the House of Lords, why is this woman not in jail? Along with all the other PPE equipment crooks who swindled us out of billions in cosy deals nodded through (sorry "fast tracked") by Tory ministers to avoid the usual scrutiny.

My fear, if my local patch is at all representative, is a lot of so-called "shy Tories" will still vote Conservative. I hate the Tories but one thing I have learned is never write them off. I fear they will do better than predicted and will be back in five years, nastier than ever.
General Election Thread on 13:24 - Jul 4 with 547 viewscolinallcars

I was against the Gang of Four Social Democrats in the 80s. I wonder if a similar splinter left either of the two main parties, would anyone on here support them ?
General Election Thread on 13:24 - Jul 4 with 543 viewsEsox_Lucius

General Election Thread on 10:33 - Jul 4 by stowmarketrange

I am guessing that you aren't aware that with so many Independents standing this GE they have formed a loosely knit coalition in order to present a viable opposition group when the division bell is rung. Most Independents are pushing for PR so if that is of appeal to anyone then please consider them.

The grass is always greener.

General Election Thread on 13:33 - Jul 4 with 496 viewsstowmarketrange

General Election Thread on 13:24 - Jul 4 by Esox_Lucius

I am guessing that you aren't aware that with so many Independents standing this GE they have formed a loosely knit coalition in order to present a viable opposition group when the division bell is rung. Most Independents are pushing for PR so if that is of appeal to anyone then please consider them.

Why not have just the one independent candidate then?If they are all standing in the same constituency they will never stand a chance of making a statement as they will probably only get a couple of 100 votes between them.
General Election Thread on 13:41 - Jul 4 with 471 viewsStainrod

General Election Thread on 13:33 - Jul 4 by stowmarketrange

Why not have just the one independent candidate then?If they are all standing in the same constituency they will never stand a chance of making a statement as they will probably only get a couple of 100 votes between them.

Exactly. Voting for an independent is a completely wasted vote. Lib Dems got around 10% of the votes last time but about 2% of the vote. Reform voters will be similarly disappointed this time that they will get millions of votes and hardly any votes. For even smaller parties/ independents its all but impossible, unless they are a celebrity such as Martin Bell back in the day. We have a completely corrupt electoral system - hard even to call us a democracy in some ways - so under this system if you want your vote to count in a lot of seats you have to vote for the party you can just about stomach to beat the party that you absolutely can't stomach.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024