Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 21:06 - Mar 2 with 70658 viewsSandyman

Any predictions as to how it will go?

I'm guessing the script will be 100% "poor little Rochdale". Never mind the struggles of other clubs, NOBODY will have had it as bad as "poor little Rochdale". We can't compete with anyone, ever, because we are "poor little Rochdale". Being in 4 consecutive relegation dogfights in League One will be repeated as "historic success". Ambition and positivity will not be mentioned as those present salute each others abilities.
Add lashings of extra "poor little Rochdale" for good measure.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2021 21:14]
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 10:44 - Mar 11 with 2971 viewsDaleiLama

Fitz's take

Edit: As usual, a balanced, measured and informative one. Fwiw, I don't think you have ever over-stepped any line, but appreciate other views may differ
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 10:58]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 10:57 - Mar 11 with 2895 viewsBillyRudd

On the point of BBM,s contract expiry might it be the case that BBM has a clause in his current contract that allows for a 12 month extension if he retains Lg1 status. That would explain BBM stating 2022 as a sort of defiant gesture to GR that "no we are not going down as I am going to keep us up" It would explain the apparent confusion on what otherwise was a bizarre exchange. Technically that would mean both are correct but unfortunately we know which it is most likely to be.
Sadly I would not be surprised if that exchange begins to circulate in lower league circles and become an embarrassment to the club. For that reason alone I would hope that the club issue a clarification of the actual situation.
Up the Dale
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:08 - Mar 11 with 2853 viewsHopwoodblue

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 22:36 - Mar 2 by Hopwoodblue

My question would be if you are telling us he is a good young manager and you believe him to be the person to take the club forward have you offered him 2 year contract extension ? If not why not ?
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 1:21]

At least I got my question answered by Brian himself 🤣
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 11:20]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:28 - Mar 11 with 2785 viewstony_roch975

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 10:44 - Mar 11 by DaleiLama

Fitz's take

Edit: As usual, a balanced, measured and informative one. Fwiw, I don't think you have ever over-stepped any line, but appreciate other views may differ

well actually, as Chris Fitzgerald openly says himself, 'That summary is one-sided, of course'

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:32 - Mar 11 with 2769 viewsIgnatius_Sancho

If there was ever any doubt about the commitment of the senior club officials, last night surely removed it. Also a great back-slapping exercise. The mutual appreciation society in full flow.

A group of people who are entirely and unanimously agreed on the way forward. Except of course, the Director who knew nothing about the contract extension of the team manager, which now appears to have been the personal gift of the CEO. Who else knew is the real question. No-one else commented. Mr. Rawlinson was obviously embarrassed and surely should have been briefed as a matter of courtesy, before the meeting, by the one man who already knew the answer to the question. Instead, he was hung out to dry.

The problem is, when you effectively give the keys to the shop to one man, he gets to enjoy it at his leisure and as he sees fit, without the necessary scrutiny.

It may well turn out to be the right thing to keep BBM in charge. Time will tell. The points that people have made about loss of players through injury and suspension are undoubtedly valid and everybody (none more than BBM) looks forward to him being able to pick from a full squad.

It seems that if we go down (by no means yet a certainty by any means) the same structure will remain in place and the same people will get the opportunity to rebuild.

With the same CEO at the helm.

I wish Mr. Kelly well in his recovery from illness. Clearly he is currently in poor health and the club suffers from his absence. RAFC needs an actively involved Chairman to oversee what's going on. The sooner, the better.
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:32 - Mar 11 with 2766 viewsJimmyRustler

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 10:57 - Mar 11 by BillyRudd

On the point of BBM,s contract expiry might it be the case that BBM has a clause in his current contract that allows for a 12 month extension if he retains Lg1 status. That would explain BBM stating 2022 as a sort of defiant gesture to GR that "no we are not going down as I am going to keep us up" It would explain the apparent confusion on what otherwise was a bizarre exchange. Technically that would mean both are correct but unfortunately we know which it is most likely to be.
Sadly I would not be surprised if that exchange begins to circulate in lower league circles and become an embarrassment to the club. For that reason alone I would hope that the club issue a clarification of the actual situation.
Up the Dale

IMO, if it was that simple they would have already announced that...

I just don’t think they have a fukin clue what they’re doing tbh. How can a director not know the contract situation regarding the manager of their football club? Utter shambles
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:39 - Mar 11 with 2721 viewsDaleiLama

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:28 - Mar 11 by tony_roch975

well actually, as Chris Fitzgerald openly says himself, 'That summary is one-sided, of course'

Hmmmmm Tony. Interesting to know which bits of the two paras below referenced by FC in his one-sided summary you disagree with? He then offers mitigating factors. How can you be more fair than that. If it walks like a duck etc etc

"But here we are, one season later, rock bottom of League One. The possession-based, passing football just hasn’t worked and there has been no sign of a reversion to the attitude, desire or system of those first 11 games BBM was given back in 2019. Worse, there has been a consistent repetition of mistakes game after game, which has put the side on the back foot very early. Is this down to a stubbornness? It must be, because there is no way BBM, who knows more about football than I ever will, cannot see what we all see. Yes, we were badged as the entertainers of League One for a brief period — mainly because of goals at both ends — but, again, that period only yielded 10 points from 11 games. The stats speak for themselves. One home win in the whole of the 2020/2021 season, one win home or away since December 15, and now seven games without even scoring a single goal. Those are damning figures and they are very hard to defend.

In fact, had supporters been allowed into Spotland this season, I feel the pressure on BBM would have come to bear much sooner than it has. Even the purists, who bought into the style of play fully, are starting to feel let down. The spectacle, via iFollow, just isn’t entertaining to watch anymore. Lots of passing around the defence which, either leads to a mistake due to the opposition easily pressing us, or a misplaced pass towards an isolated attack. On the occasions the ball does make it into the final third, there seems to be a frustrating lack of urgency to get it any further. You can almost hear the stadium itself groan on behalf of the absent supporters".

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:42 - Mar 11 with 2700 viewsalderleydale

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 08:18 - Mar 11 by DaleiLama

You mean this?

I know this is a really worrying time for all us Dale fans, and after last night's shambolic performance by Bottomley and Co I now fear for the existence of our club
But I have still found some humour to take from the shit show.
First was the tears of a clown and second the badly rehearsed scene, which looks like it was written by Ricky Gervais for the Office.
Had he written this it would surely have gleaned him another Bafta
The look to camera by the director was priceless as was the stuttering way the dj guy shrugged his shoulders at the end of the question
Comedy Gold.
Login to get fewer ads

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:50 - Mar 11 with 2666 viewsBillyRudd

Only based on the first episode of emotion from DB last night as I had switched off before the second as I found the whole broadcast more confusing than enlightening.
Anyone who knows me personally would gladly tell you I am an old cynic. Among my personal pet hates are wokery, virtue signalling, not taking responsibility for your actions etc etc. You get the picture.
So my two pennorth for what its worth and directed at those who have called him out on it, are that it was a genuine show of emotion probably borne as a culmination of tiredness, stress, flack, no light at the end of the tunnel, depleted board, being an actual supporter as well as a custodian and results. If I,m honest a lot of the problems appear to be of his own making, and I fundamentally disagree on swathes of his logic, but on the question of does he care? Yes he does.
Up the Dale
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:59 - Mar 11 with 2640 viewsfinberty

Been trying to find a picture of an ar$e and an elbow, to run a 'spot the difference' comp.
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 12:28 - Mar 11 with 2508 viewsJames1980

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:50 - Mar 11 by BillyRudd

Only based on the first episode of emotion from DB last night as I had switched off before the second as I found the whole broadcast more confusing than enlightening.
Anyone who knows me personally would gladly tell you I am an old cynic. Among my personal pet hates are wokery, virtue signalling, not taking responsibility for your actions etc etc. You get the picture.
So my two pennorth for what its worth and directed at those who have called him out on it, are that it was a genuine show of emotion probably borne as a culmination of tiredness, stress, flack, no light at the end of the tunnel, depleted board, being an actual supporter as well as a custodian and results. If I,m honest a lot of the problems appear to be of his own making, and I fundamentally disagree on swathes of his logic, but on the question of does he care? Yes he does.
Up the Dale

Is there a spot of confirmation bias involved in response to events last night.
BBM & Bottomley out camp seeing it as a farce. Involving crocodile tears, director in dark about the manager's contract, wishy washy answer about Dan & Emre, there is a plan but no detail about the plan. A manager who couldn't give a satisfactory answer about defending set pieces and the poor little Rochdale adage was trotted out for good measure. Oh and some condescending 'Football people know' claptrap.

Those less demanding of their metaphorical heads, might say of last night
An impassioned CEO displaying the stress of the last year. A board and manager who ultimately want Rochdale to have a football club who are doing what they can to ensure this remains the case. Rather risking L1 status than the club altogether. Little was said about Dan & Emre which might be because there is little they can say, contractually.

I think we can all agree about the comments about the excellent programme though.

Wishing Mr Kelly a speedy recovery and Up The Dale
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 12:43]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 12:35 - Mar 11 with 2467 views49thseason

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:32 - Mar 11 by JimmyRustler

IMO, if it was that simple they would have already announced that...

I just don’t think they have a fukin clue what they’re doing tbh. How can a director not know the contract situation regarding the manager of their football club? Utter shambles

More to the point, how is it possible, given the "BBM out" comments on here for the last few months that the manager's contractrual position wasn't item 1 in the pre-meeting preparation? Or did they just turn up without any prior discussion? Surely they knew the gist of what they were going to be asked having had questions submitted days if not weeks ago?

This was a big opportunity to set out the way forward and get the fans onside. But ultimately there are now even more questions and doubts. There were no new initiatives other than a new sponsor and a hope that the new Lottery format would eventually bear fruit.
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 12:38 - Mar 11 with 2444 viewsjudd

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 12:28 - Mar 11 by James1980

Is there a spot of confirmation bias involved in response to events last night.
BBM & Bottomley out camp seeing it as a farce. Involving crocodile tears, director in dark about the manager's contract, wishy washy answer about Dan & Emre, there is a plan but no detail about the plan. A manager who couldn't give a satisfactory answer about defending set pieces and the poor little Rochdale adage was trotted out for good measure. Oh and some condescending 'Football people know' claptrap.

Those less demanding of their metaphorical heads, might say of last night
An impassioned CEO displaying the stress of the last year. A board and manager who ultimately want Rochdale to have a football club who are doing what they can to ensure this remains the case. Rather risking L1 status than the club altogether. Little was said about Dan & Emre which might be because there is little they can say, contractually.

I think we can all agree about the comments about the excellent programme though.

Wishing Mr Kelly a speedy recovery and Up The Dale
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 12:43]

It's PROGRAMME.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 12:40 - Mar 11 with 2440 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:50 - Mar 11 by BillyRudd

Up the Dale

If DB is struggling he can always resign. Take BBM & his “project/philosophy/programme” with him. Last night veered from unprofessional to farcical via refusal to take responsibility, begging for more fans money, denial & confusion to down right insulting.
I feel a song coming on- “tears of a clown”.
If this is how the club is run I give up.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 16:07]
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 12:43 - Mar 11 with 2406 viewsYouTubeDale

The heart of the problem with RAFC at the moment is that our manager is far too nice a human being. He has clearly got under the skin of DB et al., and therefore it is very difficult to sack him from an emotional point of view. Yes we desperately need a chairman ( get well soon AK ) who can see through emotions and make the correct decisions to stear the club in the right direction.
We are skint and can't change the manager therefore the manager needs to change his tactics and that is the top and bottom of it. He still has the support of the players, so in the short term this is our only way forward, a change in tactics/ways of doing things like making sure we have an attacker in the box when the ball is fizzed in by our winger !! Nobody there on two occasions in our last match, and that is unforgivable.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 12:44 - Mar 11 with 2395 viewsJames1980

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 12:38 - Mar 11 by judd

It's PROGRAMME.

I have made the correction.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 12:46 - Mar 11 with 2391 viewsjacko_dale

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:42 - Mar 11 by alderleydale

I know this is a really worrying time for all us Dale fans, and after last night's shambolic performance by Bottomley and Co I now fear for the existence of our club
But I have still found some humour to take from the shit show.
First was the tears of a clown and second the badly rehearsed scene, which looks like it was written by Ricky Gervais for the Office.
Had he written this it would surely have gleaned him another Bafta
The look to camera by the director was priceless as was the stuttering way the dj guy shrugged his shoulders at the end of the question
Comedy Gold.

Funny you say that, I sent the clip to a bunch of my non-Dale supporting mates and more than one of them said it was like a scene from The Office. I imagine it would probably be just as funny if it wasn't our club too.
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 12:54 - Mar 11 with 2348 viewsalderleydale

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 12:46 - Mar 11 by jacko_dale

Funny you say that, I sent the clip to a bunch of my non-Dale supporting mates and more than one of them said it was like a scene from The Office. I imagine it would probably be just as funny if it wasn't our club too.

It would be hilarious Jacko, but unfortunately these clowns are taking our club to the very brink of disaster.
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 13:22 - Mar 11 with 2213 viewstony_roch975

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:39 - Mar 11 by DaleiLama

Hmmmmm Tony. Interesting to know which bits of the two paras below referenced by FC in his one-sided summary you disagree with? He then offers mitigating factors. How can you be more fair than that. If it walks like a duck etc etc

"But here we are, one season later, rock bottom of League One. The possession-based, passing football just hasn’t worked and there has been no sign of a reversion to the attitude, desire or system of those first 11 games BBM was given back in 2019. Worse, there has been a consistent repetition of mistakes game after game, which has put the side on the back foot very early. Is this down to a stubbornness? It must be, because there is no way BBM, who knows more about football than I ever will, cannot see what we all see. Yes, we were badged as the entertainers of League One for a brief period — mainly because of goals at both ends — but, again, that period only yielded 10 points from 11 games. The stats speak for themselves. One home win in the whole of the 2020/2021 season, one win home or away since December 15, and now seven games without even scoring a single goal. Those are damning figures and they are very hard to defend.

In fact, had supporters been allowed into Spotland this season, I feel the pressure on BBM would have come to bear much sooner than it has. Even the purists, who bought into the style of play fully, are starting to feel let down. The spectacle, via iFollow, just isn’t entertaining to watch anymore. Lots of passing around the defence which, either leads to a mistake due to the opposition easily pressing us, or a misplaced pass towards an isolated attack. On the occasions the ball does make it into the final third, there seems to be a frustrating lack of urgency to get it any further. You can almost hear the stadium itself groan on behalf of the absent supporters".

Surely, since it is Chris Fitzgerald's judgment of his own article you would have to ask him - perhaps he'll write the version from the other side? He writes very well so that might be instructive to many.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 13:23]

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 13:37 - Mar 11 with 2141 views442Dale

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 10:44 - Mar 11 by DaleiLama

Fitz's take

Fantastic article.

There’s something not right at all, and that it’s almost impossible to nail down amongst talk of training grounds, sporting directors, scouting systems is the biggest worry for me.

How can any of those things even be on the agenda when getting a side on the pitch winning the odd game and the club’s financial future should be all that matters?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 13:39 - Mar 11 with 2134 viewsfunkkk

Latest club update:

We have had a number of follow up questions about the contract end date for Brian Barry-Murphy. We can confirm that his contract with the Club runs until May 2022.

We accept and apologise that communication on this topic hasn’t been up to the high standards we aspire to.

That’s that put to bed then...
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 13:42 - Mar 11 with 2117 viewsMass_Debater

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 13:22 - Mar 11 by tony_roch975

Surely, since it is Chris Fitzgerald's judgment of his own article you would have to ask him - perhaps he'll write the version from the other side? He writes very well so that might be instructive to many.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2021 13:23]

Why don't you write it 'from the other side'?
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 13:51 - Mar 11 with 2093 viewsSandyman

When is a contract extension not a contract extension? When you refuse to announce it as such despite admitting you are need to improve communications the night before!!!!

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/march/fansforumupdate/

When was this contract extension agreed to and by whom? Mr Rawlinson didn't seem aware of it, nor did anyone else apart from BBM. A bit of honesty, please.
Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 14:03 - Mar 11 with 2046 viewsDaleiLama

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 13:37 - Mar 11 by 442Dale

Fantastic article.

There’s something not right at all, and that it’s almost impossible to nail down amongst talk of training grounds, sporting directors, scouting systems is the biggest worry for me.

How can any of those things even be on the agenda when getting a side on the pitch winning the odd game and the club’s financial future should be all that matters?

"winning the odd game and the club’s financial future"

...... and as much as anyone may try to say otherwise, the 2 are inextricably linked

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 14:58 - Mar 11 with 1909 viewsfitzochris

Fan's forum 10.3.2021 on 11:28 - Mar 11 by tony_roch975

And I proceed to outline potential mitigation in the subsequent paragraphs, but you know that, as you’ve read it.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024