Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Olympic stadium for Football? 11:27 - Mar 22 with 4644 viewsLewes_r

Id be gutted if I were a West Ham fan tbh. Dont get me wrong I think the Olympic stadium is great (I saw the paralympics there) superb for athletics. But seriously it could be another Stadio delle Alpi, with a crap atmosphere, there is no way they'd get more than say 45K watching them

best of luck. I doubt they will be able to do anything like what Man City did

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Olympic stadium for Football? on 11:30 - Mar 22 with 2467 viewsstowmarketrange

Just imagine how big the queue for the tube will be if it ever is full?
That is one thing we are blessed with,the amount of tube stations on our doorstep.
Olympic stadium for Football? on 11:33 - Mar 22 with 2453 viewsLewes_r

Olympic stadium for Football? on 11:30 - Mar 22 by stowmarketrange

That is one thing we are blessed with,the amount of tube stations on our doorstep.

Nightmare. I think I walked to Westham station on the way back. half an hour walk

Olympic stadium for Football? on 11:44 - Mar 22 with 2436 viewsToast_R

The Stadio delle Alpi was rebuilt for the 1990 World Cup and is where England bailed out on Pens to the West Germans.

Then it became too large for the avergae Serie A game and was never fit for a major athletics event.

I think West Ham have made a ricket with this stadium obsession. It's all about getting the Corporate side of things up and running to maximum potential and has no regard whatsoever to the real fans.

Sadly I can see QPR going that way too.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Olympic stadium for Football? on 11:47 - Mar 22 with 2433 viewsJuzzie

Olympic stadium for Football? on 11:30 - Mar 22 by stowmarketrange

Absolutely, which is why it's paramount we stay on our doorstep but space is scarce and costs are astronomical :o(

Olympic stadium for Football? on 11:54 - Mar 22 with 2417 viewsLewes_r

Olympic stadium for Football? on 11:44 - Mar 22 by Toast_R

The Stadio delle Alpi was rebuilt for the 1990 World Cup and is where England bailed out on Pens to the West Germans.

Then it became too large for the avergae Serie A game and was never fit for a major athletics event.

I think West Ham have made a ricket with this stadium obsession. It's all about getting the Corporate side of things up and running to maximum potential and has no regard whatsoever to the real fans.

Sadly I can see QPR going that way too.

sad thing is 90% of the fans dont want it but the owners just dont give a $hit

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:02 - Mar 22 with 2401 viewsW14Hoop

Olympic stadium for Football? on 11:54 - Mar 22 by Lewes_r

sad thing is 90% of the fans dont want it but the owners just dont give a $hit

One of the directors was on talk5hite the other day, he said his words when the idea was first touted to him were "Over my dead body".

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:06 - Mar 22 with 2391 viewsJuzzie

Juventus finally moved into a brand new stadium as they hated the Delle Alpi. It was too big, they averaged 43,000 in a 69,000 capacity stadium but after early high averages the attendances were dwindling down to around 34,000 at the end.

Bizzarely though, the new stadium is built on the site of the demolished delle alpi (which was criticised for being a difficult to get to out-of-town ground) and holds 41,000.

This could happen to West Ham. Initial high attendances due to the curiosity/excitement but once the novelty wears off, they will drop. The thing is, I bet the owners won't see this thinking the attendances will maintain and I reckon they won't have a plan B in place once they do.

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:10 - Mar 22 with 2383 viewsstowmarketrange

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:06 - Mar 22 by Juzzie

Juventus finally moved into a brand new stadium as they hated the Delle Alpi. It was too big, they averaged 43,000 in a 69,000 capacity stadium but after early high averages the attendances were dwindling down to around 34,000 at the end.

Bizzarely though, the new stadium is built on the site of the demolished delle alpi (which was criticised for being a difficult to get to out-of-town ground) and holds 41,000.

This could happen to West Ham. Initial high attendances due to the curiosity/excitement but once the novelty wears off, they will drop. The thing is, I bet the owners won't see this thinking the attendances will maintain and I reckon they won't have a plan B in place once they do.

They will probably do what Arsenal do and count the tickets sold rather than the amount of people attending.
Login to get fewer ads

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:13 - Mar 22 with 2374 viewsJuzzie

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:10 - Mar 22 by stowmarketrange

They will probably do what Arsenal do and count the tickets sold rather than the amount of people attending.

To be fair, most clubs do that. Their view is that the seat has already been paid for and counts toiwards the attendance (same way that all ST holders automatically count towards the games attendance even if they don't turn up).

If peopple don't turn u[, thats not the clubs fault, they'll say.

Of course, that'll mean the attendance is actually slightly less but why damage the myth of the 'sold out' PL games... meaning they can keep the ticket prices high.

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:17 - Mar 22 with 2363 viewsFredManRave

What will the capacity be?

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:19 - Mar 22 with 2359 viewsJuzzie

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:17 - Mar 22 by FredManRave

What will the capacity be?

60,000 *snigger*

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:21 - Mar 22 with 2352 viewsstowmarketrange

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:19 - Mar 22 by Juzzie

60,000 *snigger*

I thought they said 54,000 on Sky.That is still too big for them though.
Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:21 - Mar 22 with 2352 viewsmerovingian

Why not build stadium exactly like we have now, only much taller like x3 so the fans could scream on top of players head & making shadows in sunny afternoon scaring off opposition.

Cycledelic

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:22 - Mar 22 with 2350 viewsLewes_r

The only success story I can think of is the City of Manchester stadium post commonwealth games.

Sunk the pitch, removed the track.

the only way it would work i think is if the take off the top tier. remove the track and sink the pitch with steep rakes for new lower tier

that wont happen though

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:25 - Mar 22 with 2336 viewsJuzzie

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:21 - Mar 22 by stowmarketrange

I thought they said 54,000 on Sky.That is still too big for them though.

This link taken from the "I Just Wonder" thread;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21889864

States 60k but yes, even 54k is too big. They are averaging what, 35k in the PL? I'm not sure if they have a waiting list but I can't see their attendances almost doubling.

There'll be an initial surge then it'll level out I reckon to around 45k max. Only selling out for the handfull of 'big' games.

So, there'll be at least 10-15k empty seats each game. Probably in the upper tiers out of the TV camera's view. Can't have the world seeing all those empty seats, can we?

The whole thing is a farce. They talked about converting the stadium right at the begining before it was even built so why wasn't retractable seating etc not built in right from the start?

New grounds are designed and built with expansion in mind, why couldn't the Olympic stadium have been built with down-grading in mind?

Maybe Ted can shed some light as to whether this was feasible or not.

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:29 - Mar 22 with 2319 viewsngbqpr

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:25 - Mar 22 by Juzzie

This link taken from the "I Just Wonder" thread;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21889864

States 60k but yes, even 54k is too big. They are averaging what, 35k in the PL? I'm not sure if they have a waiting list but I can't see their attendances almost doubling.

There'll be an initial surge then it'll level out I reckon to around 45k max. Only selling out for the handfull of 'big' games.

So, there'll be at least 10-15k empty seats each game. Probably in the upper tiers out of the TV camera's view. Can't have the world seeing all those empty seats, can we?

The whole thing is a farce. They talked about converting the stadium right at the begining before it was even built so why wasn't retractable seating etc not built in right from the start?

New grounds are designed and built with expansion in mind, why couldn't the Olympic stadium have been built with down-grading in mind?

Maybe Ted can shed some light as to whether this was feasible or not.

Why not? You can always see them at Wembley on TV

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:43 - Mar 22 with 2288 viewsMedwayR

The Olympic Stadium should have been designed to be converted for football from the very start, naive for it not to be as everyone could see what would happen.

54k is too large, the only hope they'll have of filling it is to have very cheap tickets which will have a detrimental affect on Leyton Orient, everyone seems to be trying their best to ignore Orient at the moment but they should face up to the problem they have created themselves & compensate Orient, otherwise all their talk of legacy could include killing off a football league team...

Poll: Who’s better?

Olympic stadium for Football? on 13:55 - Mar 22 with 2251 viewsFredManRave

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:43 - Mar 22 by MedwayR

The Olympic Stadium should have been designed to be converted for football from the very start, naive for it not to be as everyone could see what would happen.

54k is too large, the only hope they'll have of filling it is to have very cheap tickets which will have a detrimental affect on Leyton Orient, everyone seems to be trying their best to ignore Orient at the moment but they should face up to the problem they have created themselves & compensate Orient, otherwise all their talk of legacy could include killing off a football league team...

I really don't get this point regarding Leyton Orient. They have a very loyal support averaging between 3- 3.5k every home game. Of that small number how many are going to decide to suddenly stop supporting their "hometown" team and go up the road to pay more to watch their new team? Likewise the number of new or floating fans that suddenly just as they were about to go (back) to the O's decide to go to Wham?!

There would undoubtedly be some effect but surely the actual numbers would be negligible.

I've got the Power.

Olympic stadium for Football? on 14:04 - Mar 22 with 2237 viewsHollowayRanger

all they got to do is cut season ticket prices by half and say £10 kids £20 adults and they will near fill it as long as they stay in prem then slowly raise prices

retractable seating will cover the running track so thats not a problem this moves gives the hammers a real chance to reach the level of spurs liverpool ect

think its bang out of order they are paying just £15 million and £2 million in rent to steal this stadium from the public

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Olympic stadium for Football? on 14:10 - Mar 22 with 2222 viewsstowmarketrange

Olympic stadium for Football? on 13:55 - Mar 22 by FredManRave

I really don't get this point regarding Leyton Orient. They have a very loyal support averaging between 3- 3.5k every home game. Of that small number how many are going to decide to suddenly stop supporting their "hometown" team and go up the road to pay more to watch their new team? Likewise the number of new or floating fans that suddenly just as they were about to go (back) to the O's decide to go to Wham?!

There would undoubtedly be some effect but surely the actual numbers would be negligible.

But what about the supporters of the future?Kids that might have grown up to support Orient might now be tempted by Premier League football at affordable prices on their dooostep.That will leave the slowly dwindling band who go now,with little chance of attracting new fans.
Olympic stadium for Football? on 14:21 - Mar 22 with 2207 viewsthemodfather

Olympic stadium for Football? on 14:10 - Mar 22 by stowmarketrange

But what about the supporters of the future?Kids that might have grown up to support Orient might now be tempted by Premier League football at affordable prices on their dooostep.That will leave the slowly dwindling band who go now,with little chance of attracting new fans.

they get a new stadia for £15m and £2m a year rent
how much will we have to spend? and er, spurs?
£300-400m??
west ham should have paid for all the costs to redevelop the stadium, not the tax payer again!
Olympic stadium for Football? on 14:22 - Mar 22 with 2200 viewsJuzzie

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:29 - Mar 22 by ngbqpr

Why not? You can always see them at Wembley on TV

lol! True, but Wembley is a private company. The Olympic Stadium has the govenrment's reputation behind it so they will do what they can I'm sure to keep that intact..... at taxpayers expense.

Olympic stadium for Football? on 14:33 - Mar 22 with 2187 viewsGetMeRangers

Olympic stadium for Football? on 14:21 - Mar 22 by themodfather

they get a new stadia for £15m and £2m a year rent
how much will we have to spend? and er, spurs?
£300-400m??
west ham should have paid for all the costs to redevelop the stadium, not the tax payer again!

Thats ridiculous... couldnt possibly be that cheap and how much is it going to cost to convert into a footballing graveyard?
Olympic stadium for Football? on 14:37 - Mar 22 with 2179 viewsYorkRanger

Olympic stadium for Football? on 12:06 - Mar 22 by Juzzie

They'll need to but even more advertising space in The Standard promoting ticket deals...
Olympic stadium for Football? on 14:38 - Mar 22 with 2175 viewsFredManRave

Olympic stadium for Football? on 14:10 - Mar 22 by stowmarketrange

I've just had a look (it's a slow day at work and there's no QPR related online clicking that needs doing) and can confirm that in the last 20 years their average home attendance has hovered around the 4,500 mark. Point being that it hasn't been affected by the inception of the Premier League or the growth in football and more specifically by West Hams' "rise".

I just believe that you're either going to be an Orient fan or not and that a shiny new stadium, which will soon be found out, won't make that much difference so I stand by the opinion that West Ham playing at the Olympic stadium would have very little impact on Leyton Orient.

I've got the Power.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024