Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour voters 00:45 - Sep 4 with 4375 viewsBoundy

still the right choice ?

This must be the 4th or 5th bombshell from Labour, Pensioners winter fuel allowance, can’t rule out pension taxes and LTA changes, can’t rule out removing the single persons council tax discount and now they are clearly positioning us to expect a significant reduction in the armed forces spending, just when the world is at its most dangerous since the Cold War.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Labour voters on 07:15 - Sep 4 with 1716 viewsGwyn737

Absolutely.

They said they wouldn’t raise income tax, NI or VAT which leaves around 20% of the intake to play with so I’m not surprised everything is on the table.

This is the period when new governments are at their most popular and get to blame the previous lot so it’s when unpopular decisions are made.

I’ll probably decide if their doing a good job in a couple of years, in the understanding that what I think is a good job won’t be shared by all.
Labour voters on 07:28 - Sep 4 with 1672 viewsDr_Winston

Their window of opportunity for blaming the Tories slammed shut when they axed WFA in the ham fisted way that they did whilst simultaneously committing tens of billions to public sector payrises and overseas aid.

Cutting WFA for all but those who need it was absolutely an option, but it would have taken ten minutes of investigation to realise that drawing the line at those in receipt of Pension Credit was a bad idea. In Labours world Pensioners are mostly right wingers anyway so they thought it cost them nothing. Now they're finding out the folly of that decision.

Chuck in the fact that people are being jailed for tweets whilst the two specimens who had a big hand in starting that whole situation by breaking the WPC's nose in Manchester haven't even been charged yet and you have a pressure cooker that is becoming dangerously and quickly volatile.

That's not even going into the many other areas where they just look incompetent already. Lammy's student politics. Millibands letter to the energy companies, and many more. They're just playing into the hands of Reform, or the Tories if they appoint someone competent.
[Post edited 4 Sep 7:33]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Labour voters on 07:46 - Sep 4 with 1689 viewsmajorraglan

I’m not a Labour voter, but I believe a Labour government is the right choice, the last lot are without doubt the worse government we’ve had in living memory.

There was an article in several news streams yesterday about the “black hole” in the finances, Simon Case who’s been the head of the civil service for the last 4 years supported claims by chancellor Rachel Reeves that the previous Conservative government contributed to recent spending pressures by failing to update departmental budgets, which were set in a 2021 spending review. Budgets need to be reviewed regularly and spending managed, that can’t be done when the figures are so out of date.

It’s the same with the pay rises. Labour are now honouring the recommendations the pay panels have made after hearing the submissions of the stakeholders. Ususally, the government set the parameters in relation to affordability, however this year the Conservative government failed to do that and just allowed the pay review panels to crack on. Why didn’t the previous government set parameters, was it incompetence, an oversight or were they deliberately “laying a trap” so they could critisce Labour? Tbh I’ve no idea, but whatever it was means it’s costing us extra money which may not have been accounted for. I’ve no issue with people getting the pay rise they deserve, but we need solid governance so finances can be managed.
Labour voters on 07:56 - Sep 4 with 1674 viewsScotia

I'm not a Labour voter either but have no problem with their performance so far. In fact I'd probably vote for them should there be an election again under Starmer's leadership.

The WFA means testing is the correct thing to do, in theory, there is debate about the level of those means though. All benefits should be means tested.

I'd bet single persons council tax benefit is the most fraudelently clainmed benefit in the system. Perhaps cutting it completley is a step too far, but it needs to be looked at.
Labour voters on 08:01 - Sep 4 with 1635 viewsDr_Winston

Labour voters on 07:56 - Sep 4 by Scotia

I'm not a Labour voter either but have no problem with their performance so far. In fact I'd probably vote for them should there be an election again under Starmer's leadership.

The WFA means testing is the correct thing to do, in theory, there is debate about the level of those means though. All benefits should be means tested.

I'd bet single persons council tax benefit is the most fraudelently clainmed benefit in the system. Perhaps cutting it completley is a step too far, but it needs to be looked at.

Single person's council tax discount, not benefit. And even then they still pay 3/4 of what a family of five would pay despite using a fraction of the services.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Labour voters on 08:21 - Sep 4 with 1636 viewsScotia

Labour voters on 08:01 - Sep 4 by Dr_Winston

Single person's council tax discount, not benefit. And even then they still pay 3/4 of what a family of five would pay despite using a fraction of the services.

That's assuming they live in a comparable value property though.

I'd agree eliminating it is probably a step too far and the system isn't ideal, but I bet everyone knows co-habiting couples who claim the discount fradulently.

I even know housing associations who encourage couples who "live together" but have two fully funded flats to alternate between the two properties 3 / 4 nights a week alternatley to continue receiving the discount and the housing association get two lots of housing benefit.

The housing association also help them throw money away (and bought a safe) to keep their visible savings under £16k.

The entire system needs to be overhauled.
Labour voters on 08:25 - Sep 4 with 1606 viewsDr_Winston

Labour voters on 08:21 - Sep 4 by Scotia

That's assuming they live in a comparable value property though.

I'd agree eliminating it is probably a step too far and the system isn't ideal, but I bet everyone knows co-habiting couples who claim the discount fradulently.

I even know housing associations who encourage couples who "live together" but have two fully funded flats to alternate between the two properties 3 / 4 nights a week alternatley to continue receiving the discount and the housing association get two lots of housing benefit.

The housing association also help them throw money away (and bought a safe) to keep their visible savings under £16k.

The entire system needs to be overhauled.

The value of the property shouldn't matter. A single person living in a £1m house is still going to use council services significantly less than a family in a £150k house.

I have no doubt at all about the rest of what you're saying. I have long experience with "support workers" of all kinds. Many of them are dangerously underinformed in a lot of areas, and decidedly dodgy in others.

Labour voters on 08:38 - Sep 4 with 1609 viewsYrAlarch

Don't believe the right wing press. wait for the Budget.
Interesting to hear that although they will be abolishing the WFP, old age pensions are due to rise above the level of inflation next April.
the Tory Government had 14 years to put things right, but spent more time stabbing each other in the back than governing the country.
Labour have been in power some 4 months. Give them a chance.
Login to get fewer ads

Labour voters on 08:53 - Sep 4 with 1593 viewsonehunglow

Labour voters on 08:38 - Sep 4 by YrAlarch

Don't believe the right wing press. wait for the Budget.
Interesting to hear that although they will be abolishing the WFP, old age pensions are due to rise above the level of inflation next April.
the Tory Government had 14 years to put things right, but spent more time stabbing each other in the back than governing the country.
Labour have been in power some 4 months. Give them a chance.

And after four months ?
Or given them six mo the
Or 12 months
Or Three years
They are in and we are stuck with them so they’d better come go

Milliband and Lammy

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Labour voters on 08:58 - Sep 4 with 1600 viewsRobbie

As mentioned earlier I as a single dweller claiming my 25 % discount will now have to pay the same as a family of 2 adults and mabye up to 5 children .

Many of that family will be using all of the available services to them at all times .

I however do not need so much help , my local sevices have shut my close by swimming pool and still expect me to pay more in Council Tax , lets hope my local leisure centre and public library does not follow suite .

People will say , Ah but the safety net is there if you need it though .

Last I seen their aint no safety net , extra for everthing incuding removing bulky waste .

Council Tax rises next April on top of this potential discount removal too .

Another Labour lie of hitting the High Fliers and Big Business , he is after the middle ground decent earning working man .

A far easier fish to catch than going after off shore accounts and then tied up in legalities .

Glad I never voted for him , never intended , Blair turned me off Labour with His lies .
Labour voters on 09:20 - Sep 4 with 1561 viewsonehunglow

Labour voters on 08:58 - Sep 4 by Robbie

As mentioned earlier I as a single dweller claiming my 25 % discount will now have to pay the same as a family of 2 adults and mabye up to 5 children .

Many of that family will be using all of the available services to them at all times .

I however do not need so much help , my local sevices have shut my close by swimming pool and still expect me to pay more in Council Tax , lets hope my local leisure centre and public library does not follow suite .

People will say , Ah but the safety net is there if you need it though .

Last I seen their aint no safety net , extra for everthing incuding removing bulky waste .

Council Tax rises next April on top of this potential discount removal too .

Another Labour lie of hitting the High Fliers and Big Business , he is after the middle ground decent earning working man .

A far easier fish to catch than going after off shore accounts and then tied up in legalities .

Glad I never voted for him , never intended , Blair turned me off Labour with His lies .

The “ rich” have never been “ hit” and never will ve.
The sponsor both Tory and Labour candidates
Middle man is easy meat he doesn’t claim
They” poor” have the cushion others don’t have or want

Labour voters on 12:12 - Sep 4 with 1482 viewsBoundy

Labour voters on 07:15 - Sep 4 by Gwyn737

Absolutely.

They said they wouldn’t raise income tax, NI or VAT which leaves around 20% of the intake to play with so I’m not surprised everything is on the table.

This is the period when new governments are at their most popular and get to blame the previous lot so it’s when unpopular decisions are made.

I’ll probably decide if their doing a good job in a couple of years, in the understanding that what I think is a good job won’t be shared by all.

If you belive that Starmer & co are at the height of popularity then you're in for a suprise ,never has a new leader of the new governments popularity fallen so low so quickly.All we've had is doom and gloom and despite what some posters belive not all emanating from the so called right wing media.Id love to see the country to succeed, who wouldn't but the signs are not good despite their young tenure.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Labour voters on 13:46 - Sep 4 with 1402 viewsraynor94

Labour voters on 07:56 - Sep 4 by Scotia

I would imagine there are lot of pensioners living on their own, if they do scrap the 25% discount, it's yet another difficult pill to swallow for them.

But Starmer and Reeves have gone down in my estimation so far, time is running out to keep blaming the Tories

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Labour voters on 15:43 - Sep 4 with 1359 viewsFlashberryjack

Labour voters on 08:53 - Sep 4 by onehunglow

And after four months ?
Or given them six mo the
Or 12 months
Or Three years
They are in and we are stuck with them so they’d better come go

Milliband and Lammy

Milliband and Lammy ? no government can survive if they have them pair of wasters as ministers.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Labour voters on 16:21 - Sep 4 with 1328 viewsAnotherJohn

Labour voters on 15:43 - Sep 4 by Flashberryjack

Milliband and Lammy ? no government can survive if they have them pair of wasters as ministers.

Two controversial decisions already.

Not opposing litigation against the companies that were recently licensed to develop new North Sea oil fields.

The banning of some military supplies sales to Israel.

Will they please more than they dismay?
Labour voters on 16:38 - Sep 4 with 1304 viewsonehunglow

Labour voters on 15:43 - Sep 4 by Flashberryjack

In key jobs
Lammy Foreign Secretary
It is incredible
It is sick

Mikli band was dead in the water

Labour voters on 17:47 - Sep 4 with 1287 viewsjohnlangy

Labour voters on 07:15 - Sep 4 by Gwyn737

Absolutely.

Correct Gwyn. Right choice ? After what the Tories did ? No question.

As you say, let's see what happens in year or two. Then judge
Labour voters on 17:48 - Sep 4 with 1284 viewsSullutaCreturned

Labour voters on 08:25 - Sep 4 by Dr_Winston

The value of the property shouldn't matter. A single person living in a £1m house is still going to use council services significantly less than a family in a £150k house.

I have no doubt at all about the rest of what you're saying. I have long experience with "support workers" of all kinds. Many of them are dangerously underinformed in a lot of areas, and decidedly dodgy in others.

I have long said that council tax is a bgger rip off than poll tax. You shaould pay for services rendered not based on the value of your house. Iagine if every bill was calculated by the values of our houses and not by how much we used/consumed?

The state pension is rising by more than inflation because of the triple lock. Labour could always do away with the triple lock?
Labour voters on 18:18 - Sep 4 with 1262 viewsGwyn737

Labour voters on 17:48 - Sep 4 by SullutaCreturned

I have long said that council tax is a bgger rip off than poll tax. You shaould pay for services rendered not based on the value of your house. Iagine if every bill was calculated by the values of our houses and not by how much we used/consumed?

The state pension is rising by more than inflation because of the triple lock. Labour could always do away with the triple lock?

I read today that the pension will be rising by about £400 due to the triple lock.

Will that take the sting out of the WFA removal?
Labour voters on 18:22 - Sep 4 with 1255 viewsGwyn737

Labour voters on 12:12 - Sep 4 by Boundy

If you belive that Starmer & co are at the height of popularity then you're in for a suprise ,never has a new leader of the new governments popularity fallen so low so quickly.All we've had is doom and gloom and despite what some posters belive not all emanating from the so called right wing media.Id love to see the country to succeed, who wouldn't but the signs are not good despite their young tenure.

Have you forgotten the Tories “they left a note to say there’s no money so now we have to have 10 years of austerity”.

Tory votes like this kind of thing because it feels like ‘scroungers’ are getting their comeuppance.

I absolutely knew Labour would raise taxes. Good. We need stuff fixed.

I may not agree with all their choices, but most important to me is that it’s spent well.
Labour voters on 18:43 - Sep 4 with 1227 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Labour voters on 18:18 - Sep 4 by Gwyn737

I read today that the pension will be rising by about £400 due to the triple lock.

Not if energy prices rise by £700

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Labour voters on 18:50 - Sep 4 with 1222 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Labour voters on 18:22 - Sep 4 by Gwyn737

Have you forgotten the Tories “they left a note to say there’s no money so now we have to have 10 years of austerity”.

Tory votes like this kind of thing because it feels like ‘scroungers’ are getting their comeuppance.

I may not agree with all their choices, but most important to me is that it’s spent well.

That last sentence is more important than anything else. Tax take is at an all time high. There has never been this much coin flowing into the treasury. But unfortunately also at an all time high is the amount spunked up the wall on dogmatic green initiatives, inefficient public services, a failed immigration and many other hare brained schemes.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Labour voters on 19:15 - Sep 4 with 1183 viewsAnotherJohn

Labour voters on 18:18 - Sep 4 by Gwyn737

Isn't the theory that this is a catch-up payment to restore the real income of pensioners to its previous level following a period of unusually high inflation? I suppose one could argue the latest uplift may have marginally exceeded the inflation rate, but on the other hand items like food form a larger part of the budgets of lower income-people, and that is one of the areas where prices rose most sharply, disproportionately affecting pensioners.
Labour voters on 19:16 - Sep 4 with 1176 viewsonehunglow

Labour voters on 18:22 - Sep 4 by Gwyn737

Your comments are based on your political views
That’s quite normal

Labour voters on 19:24 - Sep 4 with 1141 viewsKeithHaynes

They are all wrong uns.
I’m still all for bringing the fecking lot down.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024