Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread 06:38 - Aug 29 with 21294 viewsModeratorC

When a team has everything to prove a trip to the Hawthorns isn’t the best pick of venue. However, it’s the next game for Swansea City, who played and lost to a Wycombe side on Wednesday in the worst possible fashion.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/62899/swansea-city-franc

West Bromwich Albion: Alex Palmer, Darnell Furlong, Kyle Bartley, Sami Ajayi, Jayson Molumby, Josh Maja, John Swift, Torbjorn Heggem, Karlan Grant, Alex Mowatt, Tom Fellows.

Substitutes: Joe Wildsmith, Callum Styles, Jed Wallace, Ousmane Diakite, Lewis Dobbin, Uros Racic, Paddy McNair, Gianluca Frabbota, Devante Cole.

Swansea City: Lawrence Vigouroux; Josh Key, Ben Cabango, Harry Darling, Josh Tymon; Matt Grimes (captain), Gonçalo Franco, Ollie Cooper; Jisung Eom, Žan Vipotnik, Ronald.

Substitutes: Jon McLaughlin, Kristian Pedersen, Jay Fulton, Joe Allen, Florian Bianchini, Myles Peart-Harris, Kyle Naughton, Nelson Abbey, Azeem Abdulai.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/62904/referee-backhouse-

This post has been edited by an administrator
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 09:08 - Sep 1 with 2055 viewsjack247

I think people are forgetting quite how bad it was under Duff. Plenty saying he didn’t get a fair chance now. Not many were sticking up for him outside of the 5 or 6 games where he abandoned his tactics.

One of my favourite sackings if I’m honest.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 09:14 - Sep 1 with 2029 viewssons_of_omri

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 08:18 - Sep 1 by Dr_Winston

The club knew that the Martin style didn't work which is why they appointed Duff in the first place. When Duff got off to a bad start and the fans turned against him they panicked and did a complete 180 back to the Martin style again.

We've brought in numerous attacking players, but are sticking with the turgid, possession/passing based football that bored the pants off everyone between 2021 and 2023 with entirely similar effect.

Williams has to change it up.

The big question is-can he?

I’ve not seen anything to suggest he is anything other than a robotic statistics driven administrator. One plan and one plan only, does he have any independent nous or instinct to actually pick a system that suits the players he already has and improve them , mould them into that system? I don’t think so.

Neither do I think he has the balls to make the biggest decision of all and that’s to give Matt Grimes a spell on the bench and Darling the Captaincy. It will never happen but until it does we are going to sink deeper and deeper into the mire. During the first half yesterday we didn’t even compete.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 09:27 - Sep 1 with 1999 viewsDr_Winston

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 09:14 - Sep 1 by sons_of_omri

I’ve not seen anything to suggest he is anything other than a robotic statistics driven administrator. One plan and one plan only, does he have any independent nous or instinct to actually pick a system that suits the players he already has and improve them , mould them into that system? I don’t think so.

Neither do I think he has the balls to make the biggest decision of all and that’s to give Matt Grimes a spell on the bench and Darling the Captaincy. It will never happen but until it does we are going to sink deeper and deeper into the mire. During the first half yesterday we didn’t even compete.

I don't know if he can. I hope so. Changing managers is expensive and disruptive and I'd rather not do it.

You are correct on the crux of it. The best managers play to suit the players that they have available and slowly evolve, not play that system anyway regardless. Unfortunately too often in recent times we've appointed limited coaches who can only think one way.

In fairness he has shown some ability to adapt defensively. We're not getting smashed by multiple goals as often as we were when he first came in.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 09:33 - Sep 1 with 1965 viewsonehunglow

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 09:14 - Sep 1 by sons_of_omri

The even bigger question is will he?
It’s pretty obvious what is letting us down.
I think the players are good enough to see us stay up.
Right now,Williams is taking us down and nobody can seriously ,surely,see him improving players
Tymon was becoming a very good playe for us but recently he has regressed significantly
Grimes has gotten away with murder for too long
He needs a rest
We all do ,from him.
The new players must feel very lonely and confused

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 10:07 - Sep 1 with 1938 viewsswan65split

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 09:27 - Sep 1 by Dr_Winston

I don't know if he can. I hope so. Changing managers is expensive and disruptive and I'd rather not do it.

You are correct on the crux of it. The best managers play to suit the players that they have available and slowly evolve, not play that system anyway regardless. Unfortunately too often in recent times we've appointed limited coaches who can only think one way.

In fairness he has shown some ability to adapt defensively. We're not getting smashed by multiple goals as often as we were when he first came in.

"In fairness he has shown some ability to adapt defensively. We're not getting smashed by multiple goals as often as we were when he first came in."

Boro and yesterday we could easily have been down 3-4 goals by halftime, why we weren't wasn't down to defensive tactics, just poor finishing.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 10:15 - Sep 1 with 1915 viewsDr_Winston

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 10:07 - Sep 1 by swan65split

"In fairness he has shown some ability to adapt defensively. We're not getting smashed by multiple goals as often as we were when he first came in."

Boro and yesterday we could easily have been down 3-4 goals by halftime, why we weren't wasn't down to defensive tactics, just poor finishing.

Fair comment. I include last season in my assessment where we did tighten up a bit, but yes, better WBA finishing would have ended the game as a contest inside 20 minutes yesterday.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 10:30 - Sep 1 with 1854 viewsWhiterockin

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 10:15 - Sep 1 by Dr_Winston

Fair comment. I include last season in my assessment where we did tighten up a bit, but yes, better WBA finishing would have ended the game as a contest inside 20 minutes yesterday.

The teams we have played WBA and Middleborough on current form are 2nd and 7th and we lost by one goal, yes it should have been more but we also could have drawn them. Preston are near the bottom who we beat and Cardiff are bottom who we should have put away early on. It's very early yet and and I say wait until we get to 10-12 games to see where we are, we are not shipping goals and with better finishing it could be a totally different picture.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 10:30 - Sep 1 with 1825 viewsonehunglow

I’d rather not doing it too.
However,as of now,his appointment looks a mistake .
It is damage limitation already
This league looks pretty level although I think Sunderland will certainly go up with Sheffield Utd .
Plymouth the only club,as of now,that looks as bad as us .
It might change . I hope it does

It’s also true ,on a personal level ,I’ve bitched about most of our former coaches ,apart from Duff,funnily enough ,mainly as he didn’t Bsite as WillIms does .

As regards Martin, he has already been rumbled yet his arrogance remains. Indignant at losing with 70% possession. You’d think he would have learned . He will be sacked before Christmas. Another chancer with a big pay off. His teams have high possession / passing stats and it shows how misleading they are .

Login to get fewer ads

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 11:03 - Sep 1 with 1808 viewsswan65split

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 10:30 - Sep 1 by Whiterockin

The teams we have played WBA and Middleborough on current form are 2nd and 7th and we lost by one goal, yes it should have been more but we also could have drawn them. Preston are near the bottom who we beat and Cardiff are bottom who we should have put away early on. It's very early yet and and I say wait until we get to 10-12 games to see where we are, we are not shipping goals and with better finishing it could be a totally different picture.

Yep i agree, but we have to be honest, and ive just watched football highlights on itv4 and at this stage we are way below a good standard in our attacking/forward play compared to other clubs, even in div 1

a lot of hard work by both management and players is needed.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 12:10 - Sep 1 with 1650 viewsSullutaCreturned

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 10:07 - Sep 1 by swan65split

I'd go further, we were very lucky not to be 3-4 down by half time and it could easily have been 6 or 7.

We were much better second half but only as far as the oppo box, as soon as we got in there we became clueless again.

A few times we had a clear shot on but chose to take another touch and the chance went begging. We insisted on floating high crosses in when it was like the Hobbts v Ents in the middle, I mean, Kyle Bartley versus Ollie Cooper, only one winner of the high ball there.

It's almost as if the players are coached to the nth degree and are incapable or just not allowed to think for themselves and try something different on pain of being dropped.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 13:08 - Sep 1 with 1556 viewsLuther27

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 10:30 - Sep 1 by onehunglow

I’d rather not doing it too.
However,as of now,his appointment looks a mistake .
It is damage limitation already
This league looks pretty level although I think Sunderland will certainly go up with Sheffield Utd .
Plymouth the only club,as of now,that looks as bad as us .
It might change . I hope it does

It’s also true ,on a personal level ,I’ve bitched about most of our former coaches ,apart from Duff,funnily enough ,mainly as he didn’t Bsite as WillIms does .

As regards Martin, he has already been rumbled yet his arrogance remains. Indignant at losing with 70% possession. You’d think he would have learned . He will be sacked before Christmas. Another chancer with a big pay off. His teams have high possession / passing stats and it shows how misleading they are .

Martin was brought to task last night on MOTD.
It says something when as supporters we are trying to see which teams are worse than us rather than look up the table. It is what we have become.

Blog: Grenfell Tower

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 13:35 - Sep 1 with 1467 viewsonehunglow

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 13:08 - Sep 1 by Luther27

Martin was brought to task last night on MOTD.
It says something when as supporters we are trying to see which teams are worse than us rather than look up the table. It is what we have become.

Absolutely
The signs were there from the start but because people love our club any stick I got was borne out of sentiment
I’ve nterviewed countless people on my day and done all the courses
Martin looked,sounded and smelt a wrong in
Disgracefully, he used possession stats in his quest for a bigger job . Our club was used by him .This is why we played as we did. It was never his fault . He was right .

Well no, Murphy summed him and Soton up very succinctly. Change or get relegated . Our current incumbent needs to do the same .Passing aimlessly is meaningless . It’s ineffective and tedious. Fans hate it

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 16:16 - Sep 1 with 1306 viewsjacksfullaces

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 10:30 - Sep 1 by Whiterockin

exactly this ... at best we have a mid table squad (and that is assuming at least one of the new singnings works out) ...not getting hammered by better teams and picking up points at home will be the key. a series of bad runs punctuated by a few better sequences is what this kind of position will give, and always looking over our shoulder. that of course sets the tone for significant match by match tantrums on here.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 16:26 - Sep 1 with 1299 viewsSullutaCreturned

Well as you indulged in "what if we had better finishing" I'll ask what if the oppo had better finishing?

Answer...Cardiff would have beaten us and West Brom would have put 6 on us.

What if works both ways and up to now we look far more likley to concede a few than we do to score.

If we hadn't had a penalty v Preston, would we have scored?

It can be fine margins but we are fairly toothless.
(No subject) (n/t) on 16:39 - Sep 1 with 1282 viewsHoneyBadger

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 22:57 - Aug 31 by pembsjack

Can't disagree with that, but the rot goes far deeper than Williams. The club has continued its downward slide from the Pl due to owners making wrong choices on coaching and recruitment staff time after time.
We pulled away from a relegation battle at the end of last season, we maybe lucky this year but what about next. It feels like we are going one way.

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 16:44 - Sep 1 with 1251 viewsonehunglow

It does run deeper but that does not excuse the sheer arrogance of Williams who is ,let’s face it,a footballing nonentity .
We can change this around and quickly .
How long do we judge ?
10 hames ,12 ,Christmas ?
It is early stages so it can be remedied but the owners need to take a hit
They’ve fooked up with Williams

Next coach,one with experience ,maturity and guile

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 18:35 - Sep 1 with 1138 viewsQJumpingJack

Was the chairman in the away end yesterday (like Watford away last season)? Credit if he was.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 18:54 - Sep 1 with 1110 viewsFireboy2

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 18:35 - Sep 1 by QJumpingJack

Was the chairman in the away end yesterday (like Watford away last season)? Credit if he was.

I don't think so, if he was he would have kept his head down as I suspect most people would have had a few choice words to say to him.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 19:57 - Sep 1 with 1040 viewsWhiterockin

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread : Pre Match on 18:54 - Sep 1 by Fireboy2

I don't think so, if he was he would have kept his head down as I suspect most people would have had a few choice words to say to him.

Let's just say some of the comments when the final whistle went were interesting. If he did come in there he wouldn't ever again.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread on 20:05 - Sep 1 with 1008 viewsQJumpingJack

it was posted on twitter/x that he was in the away end.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread on 20:38 - Sep 1 with 960 viewsFireboy2

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread on 20:05 - Sep 1 by QJumpingJack

it was posted on twitter/x that he was in the away end.

Been informed by a mate who we met before and after Tuesdays game that he was in the away end.

I hope he gauged all the cussing and swearing 🤬
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread on 20:51 - Sep 1 with 915 viewsKeithHaynes

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread on 20:38 - Sep 1 by Fireboy2

Been informed by a mate who we met before and after Tuesdays game that he was in the away end.

I hope he gauged all the cussing and swearing 🤬

He certainly was and had a long chat with Liam afterwards.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread on 20:54 - Sep 1 with 887 viewsmax936

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread on 20:51 - Sep 1 by KeithHaynes

He certainly was and had a long chat with Liam afterwards.

Resulting in ????

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread on 21:15 - Sep 1 with 837 viewsFireboy2

WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread on 20:54 - Sep 1 by max936

Resulting in ????

Been fed aload of horsesh!t.
WBA v Swansea City : Match day thread on 23:09 - Sep 1 with 733 viewssw02sea

Hear, Feking, hear 👍
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024