Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European sanctions for players who make racist comments? 09:43 - Jul 18 with 632 viewssaint901

There's a very decent article on the BBC Sport site this morning about the Argentine players singing a song that is seen by many, especially Europeans, as racist.

One of the Argentine players filmed singing this song (post their Copa America win) apparently is on Chelsea's books (although I've never heard of him).

The suggestion is that Chelsea, or the FA or UEFA and perhaps even FIFA will impose some sort of ban or fine or both on him and any others judged to have used racist remarks even though not on club or league duty.

The BBC articles notes that supporting the international team is a "chance to be aggressively Argentinian" and that such behaviour is common place in league matches in South America. Apparently "unsettling the opposition" by any means is considered to be a fair tactic.

We've seen some Eastern European international and club sides sanctioned (mildly) by UEFA in the past but it seems that South America remains behind that particular curve.

Is it fair to impose club/European bans and fines for South American players on international duty?
European sanctions for players who make racist comments? on 10:26 - Jul 18 with 587 viewsPatfromPoole

You've never heard of him?

Didn't Chelsea buy him for over £110 million???!!!???

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

European sanctions for players who make racist comments? on 11:19 - Jul 18 with 562 viewssaint901

Apparently they did.

I did not follow the PL at all last season.

I enjoyed the Championship as they seem to be fewer precious souls who think that they can throw themselves on the floor and get a free kick or cheat or otherwise abuse the spirit of the game. I fear that our return tot he PL will see a return of those features that are slowly destroying my enjoyment of the game.
European sanctions for players who make racist comments? on 12:06 - Jul 18 with 535 viewsIfonly

Is it fair to ban them? That depends on whether you think racism is acceptable in certain circumstances or in certain countries. For me, there's an obvious answer to that.

There are many things wrong with football, but I think that football's role in reducing racism in this country is under rated. We've come a long way since the days of throwing bananas at John Barnes. It's time for South America and parts of Europe to catch up and football can help there too. Fans making monkey gestures is wrong wherever it happens.
European sanctions for players who make racist comments? on 12:16 - Jul 19 with 375 viewsmushinexile

Free speech is wonderful until someone decides that they don't like what you are saying.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024