Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Road to '76 13:59 - Dec 14 with 9019 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Loving this book. Don't know the author - I swear! - but he's done a world of research and there's a wealth of info from the 60's and 70's jammed into it.

Highly recommended.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The Road to '76 on 15:32 - Feb 17 with 1434 viewsFG_R

A company called Browns Books also seems to be selling this.

I don’t know anything about them or their delivery times & costs but they also appear to sell quite a few of the QPR books that are often mentioned on this forum - as per the link below.

https://www.brownsbfs.co.uk/Search/Keyword?keyword=qpr&productType=1
The Road to '76 on 21:39 - Feb 17 with 1284 viewsJules4367

I can remember the programmes in the early 70s having a word puzzle each week where letters would need to be filled in akin to hangman. There was one where the puzzle solution was

"Division One will soon find out what Superhoops are all about" which must have been 72-73
1975 I adapted this and I can remember writing the spaces on a blackboard and getting people in the class to shout out letters for the words "Division One is finding out what Superhoops are all about"

That's my earliest recollection of seeing/ hearing the term 'Superhoops'
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 21:41]
The Road to '76 on 21:51 - Feb 17 with 1268 viewsJules4367

Want to read it but it still hurts. I sat listening to the game on the radio and, if I recall correctly, Wolves took the lead (but I may be wrong) but I'm not going to look or check.

Possibly Keegan and Highway scored but I felt so gutted (magnify that 100 x for the players I suppose!)

I can recall dropping point/ points in the Norwich game 8 or 10 games from home and feeling 'that was it!' but we stuck in there!

Stan's biography tells us that it was not the Norwich game but the other games where we were winning or drawing and let a late goal in draw or lose that cost us the title.

How those words from his bio..." It was the letting in of a late goal..........." resonate in my head every season when the players seem to give up after 85 minutes! (This year though it has been much worse though you all could feel it coming in the Sheffield game.

Oh well, glad to know that someone has researched and told the story but sadly for me, knowing and having lived the end, i won't be reading it...but in no way let that stop you, it was our finest moment !
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 21:52]
The Road to '76 on 17:23 - Feb 19 with 1142 viewsdmm

This lovely interview with author Francis Peacock is well worth the watch: https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/features/road-to-76-1502223/
The Road to '76 on 19:22 - Mar 8 with 938 viewsCamberleyR

It's got a good review in the latest When Saturday Comes.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024