Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lyndon Dykes 20:20 - Aug 6 with 81178 viewsNortholt_Rs

Credit where it’s due - I thought he had an excellent game today.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Lyndon Dykes on 15:18 - Jan 9 with 4218 viewsgazza1

Lyndon Dykes on 15:15 - Jan 9 by Hunterhoop

I think that’s the point. We’re clearly bad at converting major chances (most likely on Dykes), but our big chances created stat is also terrible, which is on Illy, Willy, Roberts, Adomah, Shodipo, and our full backs. Lots of possession and hardly any big chances created. For all the neat technical play, it’s not good enough from them either.

Agreed, we do not create enough chances for a variety of reasons, midfielders not creating and strikers to getting into good positions but we must start taking 'decent' chances when they do come about.
Lyndon Dykes on 14:37 - Jan 11 with 3952 viewsDannyPaddox

For me Lyndon Dykes’s strength is moving towards an aerial ball and winning it - usually with his head though once earlier in the season he seemed to twist mid-air and control the ball with his chest. The athleticism of the move was breathtaking. My theory is this is a transferable skill he’s adopted from Aussie rules football. However if the ball is played straight to him (ie from a goal kick or defender) and it’s between him and his marker jumping for the ball he’ll more than often get beaten. He doesn’t have the nous or positional play to jockey for position - he’ll give them his back and/ or his surprisingly weak physical prescience will lose out.

His other strength is being a decoy. For instance we attack down the wings, Dykes takes two or three markers with him into the 6 yard box and the ball is cut back to a free midfield player attacking the edge of the penalty area to slot home. We used to do this a lot more earlier in the season.

He’s a better player than Conor Washington (that’s some low bar) but the parallels are there. I expect more from a centre-forward than occasionally getting a man of the match nomination after not scoring but putting in a battling British-Bulldog style performance. Like Washington some people will insist all he needs is a goal and his confidence will come back. They’ll say it week after week and then the weeks turn to months. It doesn’t matter how confident you are if your technical ability is limited and you don’t have the instinct especially in front of goal

If he stays with us after this window so be it, we get behind him and make do but it’s over 12 and a half hours without a goal now.

After all that cue his first hat-trick Saturday 🙏🏼
Lyndon Dykes on 16:57 - Jan 11 with 3773 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Lyndon Dykes on 14:37 - Jan 11 by DannyPaddox

For me Lyndon Dykes’s strength is moving towards an aerial ball and winning it - usually with his head though once earlier in the season he seemed to twist mid-air and control the ball with his chest. The athleticism of the move was breathtaking. My theory is this is a transferable skill he’s adopted from Aussie rules football. However if the ball is played straight to him (ie from a goal kick or defender) and it’s between him and his marker jumping for the ball he’ll more than often get beaten. He doesn’t have the nous or positional play to jockey for position - he’ll give them his back and/ or his surprisingly weak physical prescience will lose out.

His other strength is being a decoy. For instance we attack down the wings, Dykes takes two or three markers with him into the 6 yard box and the ball is cut back to a free midfield player attacking the edge of the penalty area to slot home. We used to do this a lot more earlier in the season.

He’s a better player than Conor Washington (that’s some low bar) but the parallels are there. I expect more from a centre-forward than occasionally getting a man of the match nomination after not scoring but putting in a battling British-Bulldog style performance. Like Washington some people will insist all he needs is a goal and his confidence will come back. They’ll say it week after week and then the weeks turn to months. It doesn’t matter how confident you are if your technical ability is limited and you don’t have the instinct especially in front of goal

If he stays with us after this window so be it, we get behind him and make do but it’s over 12 and a half hours without a goal now.

After all that cue his first hat-trick Saturday 🙏🏼

Good post

Because a smattering of posters are always saying its because he doesn't get the crosses I looked up how we stand on crosses compared with our opponents. This season we have apparently put over 543 crosses, opponents 475. Last season it was 937 us, 823 opposition. So you would think no shortage of crosses. (Source FBref website who use Opta stats I think).

Of course they will then say "it's not quantity, it's quality blah blah"
To me it's just he doesn't have the instinct to be in the right place at the right time. Charlie A helped him a bit when he first arrived but that side of a strikers game is sadly missing.
Lyndon Dykes on 17:27 - Jan 11 with 3662 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 16:57 - Jan 11 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Good post

Because a smattering of posters are always saying its because he doesn't get the crosses I looked up how we stand on crosses compared with our opponents. This season we have apparently put over 543 crosses, opponents 475. Last season it was 937 us, 823 opposition. So you would think no shortage of crosses. (Source FBref website who use Opta stats I think).

Of course they will then say "it's not quantity, it's quality blah blah"
To me it's just he doesn't have the instinct to be in the right place at the right time. Charlie A helped him a bit when he first arrived but that side of a strikers game is sadly missing.

Regards quantity of crosses, this is a surprising stat, as Austin, who even when his legs had gone was still able to nudge a yard of space in the box and was still dangerous in the air, scored maybe 2 headed goals in a season and just did not seem to get this volume of crosses / service.

Regards Dykes positional play, undoubtedly pre-Austin, this was a real weakness and concern, maybe to be expected given Dykes had I believe played on the wing for Livingstone,

However, this improved greatly after Austin's arrival where you could see Dykes learn that Austin trade-mark holding his run and position on the edge of the area to attack the ball as defenders invariably ball watch and rush to defend the 6 yard line,

So why did Dykes stop doing this? Presumably these near-post runs he now makes are in part a decoy to bring the Centre Halves into this space to create space for the 10's (as poster above noted) and instructed by the coaching team?

If so, why are the 10's and midfielders not attacking the space created? which was most evident in the Luton game when being two goals down we invariably only had Dykes in the box?

Not defending Dykes, as two or three very poor misses this season, but we need to play with either a 2nd striker or the 10's have to come inside as they did under Warburton to attack this space created.

The Luton game and formation was a nadir where the fullbacks did'nt attack the bye-line, the 10's stayed wide as wingers and the midfielders both played a holding role with only Dykes in the box. Compare this to how the Luton (and Coventry of note) supported their forwards when attacking as a team.

I am hoping this was just a new managers learning curve mistake similar to Beale made a few of, and ultimately Critchley will realise that Willock and Chair are inside forwards, Dickie / Dunne / JCS are an ideal 3, allowing the full-backs to push-on as Warburton's teams did with Field and Tim having the legs to marshall the midfield with Tim attacking the edge of the box.
Lyndon Dykes on 19:50 - Jan 11 with 3427 viewsgazza1

It will be very interesting what happens to LD on Saturday.......current form says he will not play but if we play 'attacking' then he could still start and I think we may just do that.
Lyndon Dykes on 01:34 - Jan 12 with 3150 viewsDannyPaddox

Lyndon Dykes on 19:50 - Jan 11 by gazza1

It will be very interesting what happens to LD on Saturday.......current form says he will not play but if we play 'attacking' then he could still start and I think we may just do that.

Lyndon & Lowe will be the new Keegan & Toshack. Champions League here we come. The world is our lobster.
Lyndon Dykes on 08:51 - Jan 12 with 2949 viewsTheChef

For all his work off the ball and in the air I think Dykes would really benefit from another striker alongside or just beside him.

Really hope Armstrong gets another go soon.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Lyndon Dykes on 08:57 - Jan 12 with 2935 viewsRs_Holy

Lyndon Dykes on 01:34 - Jan 12 by DannyPaddox

Lyndon & Lowe will be the new Keegan & Toshack. Champions League here we come. The world is our lobster.

Ly-Lo ... it might just work
Login to get fewer ads

Lyndon Dykes on 09:28 - Jan 12 with 2836 viewsBurnleyhoop

Lyndon Dykes on 17:27 - Jan 11 by ParkRoyalR

Regards quantity of crosses, this is a surprising stat, as Austin, who even when his legs had gone was still able to nudge a yard of space in the box and was still dangerous in the air, scored maybe 2 headed goals in a season and just did not seem to get this volume of crosses / service.

Regards Dykes positional play, undoubtedly pre-Austin, this was a real weakness and concern, maybe to be expected given Dykes had I believe played on the wing for Livingstone,

However, this improved greatly after Austin's arrival where you could see Dykes learn that Austin trade-mark holding his run and position on the edge of the area to attack the ball as defenders invariably ball watch and rush to defend the 6 yard line,

So why did Dykes stop doing this? Presumably these near-post runs he now makes are in part a decoy to bring the Centre Halves into this space to create space for the 10's (as poster above noted) and instructed by the coaching team?

If so, why are the 10's and midfielders not attacking the space created? which was most evident in the Luton game when being two goals down we invariably only had Dykes in the box?

Not defending Dykes, as two or three very poor misses this season, but we need to play with either a 2nd striker or the 10's have to come inside as they did under Warburton to attack this space created.

The Luton game and formation was a nadir where the fullbacks did'nt attack the bye-line, the 10's stayed wide as wingers and the midfielders both played a holding role with only Dykes in the box. Compare this to how the Luton (and Coventry of note) supported their forwards when attacking as a team.

I am hoping this was just a new managers learning curve mistake similar to Beale made a few of, and ultimately Critchley will realise that Willock and Chair are inside forwards, Dickie / Dunne / JCS are an ideal 3, allowing the full-backs to push-on as Warburton's teams did with Field and Tim having the legs to marshall the midfield with Tim attacking the edge of the box.

How often do we score a goal and you think….yeah, straight from a training drill that one?

We have an abundance of coaches and back room staff at the club, a better group of players than in many previous seasons and still more often than not look clueless, unorganised and timid.

As for Dykes, just attack the front post for gods sake. Not rocket science.
Lyndon Dykes on 09:31 - Jan 12 with 2822 viewsNorthernr

Lyndon Dykes on 09:28 - Jan 12 by Burnleyhoop

How often do we score a goal and you think….yeah, straight from a training drill that one?

We have an abundance of coaches and back room staff at the club, a better group of players than in many previous seasons and still more often than not look clueless, unorganised and timid.

As for Dykes, just attack the front post for gods sake. Not rocket science.

One of the really irritating things for me is when you see them do the move you've seen on that 'inside training' video feature countless times - into the centre, out to the full back, down to the winger, low cross over from the byline - and either the cross is sht, the striker is in the wrong place, or both. So they have worked on it, and it's still crap. That happened twice right at the start of the Luton game with Shodipo for example.
Lyndon Dykes on 09:39 - Jan 12 with 2794 viewsswisscottage

Whilst we may put a lot of crosses into the box, the vast majority are put in after Willock, Chair or Laird have held onto the ball for a millenia resulting in a mass of defenders in the box. Dykes and other players coming into the box have already finished their run and are then either firmly marked and jumping in place or having to find space in a densely populated penalty area.

I can probably count he number of early crosses we've put in this season on ten fingers.
Lyndon Dykes on 09:44 - Jan 12 with 2786 viewsLoyalitat

"For all his work off the ball and in the air I think Dykes would really benefit from another striker alongside or just beside him."

I liken Dykes's work off the ball and in the air as what we as fans would do; all honest endeavour which is a given. Attended the Coventry game in November and as painful as it was, it was good for one thing: watching Gyokeres lead the line for Coventry..

The way in which he occupies defenders across the entire defensive line, always making himself available to receive the ball, acting as the fulcrum for many of their attacks, his greater sureness of touch (i.e requiring no more than two/three touches) which enables them to break so quickly. He just has the footballing brain and greater skill-set required at Championship level, which Dykes should have acquired by now and goes beyond just honest endeavour.

He works just as hard as Dykes off the ball and in the air, and the same can be said about Morris at Luton.
Lyndon Dykes on 11:04 - Jan 12 with 2548 viewsParkRoyalR

Given in his last outing against a top 2 side with a premiership experienced Centre Half where he was awarded MOTM by both Northern and Neil Warnock, I would say he's a certain starter.

Interesting that Warnock who is probably one of the Championship's most effective and successful Managers called out Chair for slowing our attacks down.

It was noticeable how we tried to play on the front foot against Sheff Utd, which to me means playing the ball quicker into danger areas and not overplaying outside both penalty areas. Dykes looked a more effective player as a result, as the Sheff Utd Centre Halves didnt have the time they like to get organised and set.

I'm a big fan of Dunne but its noticeable that he occasionally looks all over the place when teams attack in numbers and at pace. Something we rarely do.

Unlike some I can't form a judgement on Gyokeres or Morris as only seen them over 90 minutes when their team have been on the front-foot from the off and dominated us all over the park. Similar to how we started against Sheff Utd and as a result Dykes looked a really effective Championship target man.
Lyndon Dykes on 11:11 - Jan 12 with 2538 viewsSuperhoop83

Lyndon Dykes on 09:31 - Jan 12 by Northernr

One of the really irritating things for me is when you see them do the move you've seen on that 'inside training' video feature countless times - into the centre, out to the full back, down to the winger, low cross over from the byline - and either the cross is sht, the striker is in the wrong place, or both. So they have worked on it, and it's still crap. That happened twice right at the start of the Luton game with Shodipo for example.

I've finally plucked up the courage to say that I didn't think we were THAT bad against Luton. However, that may be because I still hadn't got over the appalling performance at Coventry, which was worse in my book.

It's taken even more courage to say that I thought Shodipo played ok against Luton, However, that doesn't mean that he is good enough - he plainly isn't - and perhaps it was a reflection of how badly everyone else played that night.

Suffering since 1978.

Lyndon Dykes on 12:04 - Jan 12 with 2439 viewsoldmeadoniansR

Lyndon Dykes on 09:31 - Jan 12 by Northernr

I was in South Africa Rd and the crosses Shodipo put in were ideal for a late run by a central midfielder. Unfortunately Tim was shackled to the half way line by tge system and was miles away. Stuart Wardley would have bagged a brace!
Lyndon Dykes on 12:23 - Jan 12 with 2364 viewsQPR_Jim

Lyndon Dykes on 11:11 - Jan 12 by Superhoop83

I've finally plucked up the courage to say that I didn't think we were THAT bad against Luton. However, that may be because I still hadn't got over the appalling performance at Coventry, which was worse in my book.

It's taken even more courage to say that I thought Shodipo played ok against Luton, However, that doesn't mean that he is good enough - he plainly isn't - and perhaps it was a reflection of how badly everyone else played that night.

I though Shodipo did OK as well, not great but no worse than others either. If he comes into a team which is full of confidence and playing well, I think he would have perhaps done better. But he's not they type of player who's going to single handedly turn around the fortunes of a team playing poorly.

I think he should perhaps be released though, he's 25 and not got to 100 games yet, needs to go somewhere he's first choice and we could get a similar service off the bench from a younger player from the youth team or signed after being released from an academy like Eze.
Lyndon Dykes on 13:34 - Jan 12 with 2177 viewsNortholt_Rs

Lyndon Dykes on 11:04 - Jan 12 by ParkRoyalR

Given in his last outing against a top 2 side with a premiership experienced Centre Half where he was awarded MOTM by both Northern and Neil Warnock, I would say he's a certain starter.

Interesting that Warnock who is probably one of the Championship's most effective and successful Managers called out Chair for slowing our attacks down.

It was noticeable how we tried to play on the front foot against Sheff Utd, which to me means playing the ball quicker into danger areas and not overplaying outside both penalty areas. Dykes looked a more effective player as a result, as the Sheff Utd Centre Halves didnt have the time they like to get organised and set.

I'm a big fan of Dunne but its noticeable that he occasionally looks all over the place when teams attack in numbers and at pace. Something we rarely do.

Unlike some I can't form a judgement on Gyokeres or Morris as only seen them over 90 minutes when their team have been on the front-foot from the off and dominated us all over the park. Similar to how we started against Sheff Utd and as a result Dykes looked a really effective Championship target man.

But he still didn’t score though. That’s the problem with Dykes. He’s a pony CF.

Lyndon Dykes on 14:07 - Jan 12 with 2114 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 13:34 - Jan 12 by Northolt_Rs

But he still didn’t score though. That’s the problem with Dykes. He’s a pony CF.

But Warnock does'nt think so and you'd be well pushed to argue Warnock does'nt know what he's on about when it comes to the Championship.

Dykes has proven with Scotland that he does score, and has does the same in patches with us, so the obvious question is why is he a better player for Scotland and why has he gone on scoring runs for us (admittedly not in a very long-time).

For Scotland I would argue a better quality midfield that does run pass Dykes and give him options and also inferior opposition.

For us, I would say our slow build-up play does not help a lone striker, particularly one who (like Dickie) is a real confidence player probably still recovering from those 2 or 3 early season misses.
Lyndon Dykes on 14:09 - Jan 12 with 2109 viewsR_from_afar

Lyndon Dykes on 09:39 - Jan 12 by swisscottage

Whilst we may put a lot of crosses into the box, the vast majority are put in after Willock, Chair or Laird have held onto the ball for a millenia resulting in a mass of defenders in the box. Dykes and other players coming into the box have already finished their run and are then either firmly marked and jumping in place or having to find space in a densely populated penalty area.

I can probably count he number of early crosses we've put in this season on ten fingers.

I think this is where the obsession with keeping the ball, being comfortable on the ball and dominating possession has led to.

I get that being comfortable on the ball is hugely important but I feel like some players, coaches and pundits assume that keeping the ball will naturally result in a goal. What really matters is possession with purpose. Where on the pitch is the possession? Where did the pass go? Was it back to a defender or square across the centre of the pitch, or was it to a team mate who had got in behind the opposition's defence (I wish!)?

Slow build-ups with lots of touches give the opposition the chance to block the space and make it difficult to pass the ball into truly dangerous areas and make pot shots pretty pointless.

At the shocking level I play at, I often hear team mates shouting "Keep the ball, keep the ball" but that often means that when we do try to move forward with purpose, the other lot have got everyone behind the ball and there is an impenetrable thicket of bodies between us and the goal.

I always think the best teams can play in a variety of ways. A slow, controlled build up with a lot of touches, biding one's time while waiting for a gap to open up, is fine in itself but if such attacks are interspersed with some one touch, first time pass moves (including long passes), it gives the opposition much more to think about and keeps them guessing.

I recall that AC Milan in their pomp could pass until the cows came home, but they were also capable of getting the ball forward very quickly and tellingly when they wanted to.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Lyndon Dykes on 14:36 - Jan 12 with 2047 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Lyndon Dykes on 14:07 - Jan 12 by ParkRoyalR

But Warnock does'nt think so and you'd be well pushed to argue Warnock does'nt know what he's on about when it comes to the Championship.

Dykes has proven with Scotland that he does score, and has does the same in patches with us, so the obvious question is why is he a better player for Scotland and why has he gone on scoring runs for us (admittedly not in a very long-time).

For Scotland I would argue a better quality midfield that does run pass Dykes and give him options and also inferior opposition.

For us, I would say our slow build-up play does not help a lone striker, particularly one who (like Dickie) is a real confidence player probably still recovering from those 2 or 3 early season misses.

I've stood up for Dykes more than most and I wouldn't call him "pony", but let's be honest now - Dykes is not playing well and hasn't played well enough, often enough since he got here. And he needs to sort that out himself, and no-one can do it for him.

Warnock may have been right that one time, but Warnock doesn't have to watch him fifty times a season.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Lyndon Dykes on 14:45 - Jan 12 with 2006 viewsNorthernr

Lyndon Dykes on 14:36 - Jan 12 by BrianMcCarthy

I've stood up for Dykes more than most and I wouldn't call him "pony", but let's be honest now - Dykes is not playing well and hasn't played well enough, often enough since he got here. And he needs to sort that out himself, and no-one can do it for him.

Warnock may have been right that one time, but Warnock doesn't have to watch him fifty times a season.

He was very good against Sheff Utd when Warnock watched him, like a lot of them.
Back to that frustration that they can do it. Maybe not all the time, maybe not brilliantly, but certainly a good deal better than they have been doing in a lot of games lately.
Lyndon Dykes on 14:52 - Jan 12 with 1968 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lyndon Dykes on 14:36 - Jan 12 by BrianMcCarthy

I actually thought Dykes plays like that most days and Neil was just new to it.

Fleetwood though, fcking abysmal.
Lyndon Dykes on 15:25 - Jan 12 with 1891 viewsPhilmyRs

I think about how I’d view Dykes if he was lining up against us. Put Dykes in the Fulham side of last season instead of Mitro or in the Forest or Bournemouth teams and I wouldn’t be that concerned. The way those teams play, I don’t think he’d cause us too many problems. Solanke was a much more threatening player. Put him in a fired up Millwall side and I think Dykes would cause us a lot of problems. Decent in the air, puts himself about, hustles and harries you, and for a big man, he’s one of the more mobile number 9s out there.

I do have sympathy for him — a lot of times he makes the run and the pass isn’t delivered, Chair most culpable, but over 90 minutes he’ll likely have put himself about, roughed up the centre back a bit, done a fair bit of closing down and got his kit dirty but for what? We need more than that.
Lyndon Dykes on 08:24 - Jan 22 with 1508 viewsNortholt_Rs

LD had a really good game yesterday. Battled and scrapped for everything and provided a great assist for Jamal’s goal. We looked p1sspoor when he went off… so, everybody who wanted us to take Millwallscum’s money, be careful what you wish for (including me).

Lyndon Dykes on 10:47 - Jan 22 with 1339 viewsRangers67

He,s crap, get rid
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024