Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Strictly business — Preview 15:43 - Jan 31 with 4799 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/54086
Strictly business — Preview on 23:01 - Jan 31 with 1547 viewsswitchingcode

Very well put together Clive and some good replies.Whether our so called model is sustainable for the coming years who knows.What some have missed is our main 2 targets are don’t go down and don’t go broke.Finishing top half for 7seasons now is an achievement for as Clive said a club the size of Scunthorpe.Think most of the fans of clubs in this division have been in the PL over the last 20 years and look at it as failure treading water in the championship.These are our golden years over the last 50.When fans criticise our buying and selling don’t understand that on most instances the players have wanted to leave and why not if it’s a PL club as that is part of the deal unless we go up then we have a chance of keeping them.
The club should also take credit in developing these players during there time and for every success there are many failures but the churn has produced excellent net profits.The new stadium is also an added money generator although small compared to most in this league it’s got all the modern commercial facilities to bring in 5 fold to what we could achieve at the tired out of date Griffin park.This isnt to be under estimated as who knows what way tv revenues are going to go in the coming years.
Strictly business — Preview on 01:26 - Feb 1 with 1484 viewsFredManRave

Strictly business — Preview on 22:48 - Jan 31 by LongsufferingR

Somehow Derby will have spent £49m on hand sanitiser

Not surprising as they're actually a bunch of wànkers!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Strictly business — Preview on 09:54 - Feb 1 with 1338 viewsTheChef

It's a sad state of affairs when a nailed on away defeat live on Sky, with 90 minutes of Andy Hinchcliffe's QPR hate, is the highlight of your week.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Strictly business — Preview on 10:36 - Feb 1 with 1300 viewsswitchingcode

Strictly business — Preview on 09:54 - Feb 1 by TheChef

It's a sad state of affairs when a nailed on away defeat live on Sky, with 90 minutes of Andy Hinchcliffe's QPR hate, is the highlight of your week.

Not for me I want a watford defeat
Strictly business — Preview on 11:32 - Feb 1 with 1225 viewsTheChef

Strictly business — Preview on 10:36 - Feb 1 by switchingcode

Not for me I want a watford defeat

Sorry, no can do.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Strictly business — Preview on 12:30 - Feb 1 with 1157 viewsNW5Hoop

Strictly business — Preview on 22:18 - Jan 31 by stainrods_elbow

PS I'll try to come up with some more of the positivity that Clive would like when I get the time, even though that assumes I start from all his premises. I also don't think I'm specially qualified to develop a master plan for 'how to run QPR' (nor do I have to) - any more than I'd criticise him for writing reports on games without having played pro football. I speak and write as a fan first and foremost, not a businessman or DoF, and I reserve the right to polemics, emotion and bloody-minded/cussed/hard-won opinion over neoliberal compromise on that basis, which is, in my view, the lifeblood of messageboards like this. At the same time, the points I've made about the limits of 'rinse and repeat' stand in any era, and people can take them or not as they wish. The economics of football have changed in some respects, I'd be stupid to say otherwise, but coaching, building and unifying a squad is still just as important as it always was. If people can't see the contradiction, for example, between only acquiring players to sell them at the market as soon as possible and the executive pretending to care about filling the Family Stand with young fans (who will only become fans, like I did, because they identify with a team and playing style), I can only point it out to those whose ears aren't completely blocked.

Finally, if I'm sadly also being traduced for appealing to the badge of all things, I really ought to send round Kevin Gallen, Ian Holloway and the ghost of Alan McDonald to duff someone up. If that doesn't mean anything, what is anyone actually 'supporting' (apart from a plc)?

I don't read what Clive has said as traducing you. But a couple of points: most kids who support clubs that aren't big do so because of their families. That was the way when I was a kid, when Liverpool were by far the most supported team — in Slough! Literally the only QPR fans I knew — and QPR was the nearest club — supported them because their parents took them. No other reason.

The badge thing is such a red herring. Very few professional footballers play for the badge. They play for the money and for professional pride. I very much doubt many, except dyed in the wool fans, have ever played because they love the club. It might be different when you play for one of the great institutions of football, and you're winning — it was easy for the Class of 92 to play for the badge, because they were playing for a club that was at the time a great institution and they won every medal available — but for the vast majority of players, it's a job. They might enjoy some jobs more than others, like most of us, but it's a job. And there's no reason it should be otherwise. The whole concept of players' loyalty is almost entirely one way — it is demanded of them, but not reciprocarted. Clubs ditch players on a whim; fans turn on players at will. Also, playing for the badge does not actually generate results. It makes fans feel better about things, and is a useful unifier in difficult times, as in Holloway's first spell, and that can be a good thing, but it's no more than a feelgood thing.

Every club has their one-club heroes. But they are heroes because there are so few of them.
Strictly business — Preview on 12:43 - Feb 1 with 1149 viewsNoelmc

Very good piece Clive, which has provoked an interesting debate. Personally, I agree with your view and think the Brentford model is a good one to aspire to. In the end last season, it was their 'bottle' in pressure matches that stopped them going up. That's not a failing in the model and it may well work this season if they learn from their experience last summer.

Thanks also for making us laugh in these difficult times with gems such as;

'Lee Wallace is back in training following a phone call from Andy Sinton as part of the Community Trust’s R You OK? lockdown welfare outreach campaign'.

and

'Further comings and comings at Nottingham Florist who seem think they're putting together a cast for a Ben-Hur remake rather than assembling a functioning squad for a competition that only permits 11 players to take to the field at any one moment'.

Much appreciated.
Strictly business — Preview on 13:25 - Feb 1 with 1095 viewsWegerles_Stairs

The danger in following the Brentford model is to assume that the conditions for both clubs are the same. Brentford's model is driven by their owner, who is highly intelligent, driven and loves their club. That's a massive part of its success. As for ours.....
[Post edited 1 Feb 2021 13:29]
Login to get fewer ads

Strictly business — Preview on 13:52 - Feb 1 with 1052 viewsswitchingcode

Strictly business — Preview on 13:25 - Feb 1 by Wegerles_Stairs

The danger in following the Brentford model is to assume that the conditions for both clubs are the same. Brentford's model is driven by their owner, who is highly intelligent, driven and loves their club. That's a massive part of its success. As for ours.....
[Post edited 1 Feb 2021 13:29]

Also has put over 100 mill into the club during his ownership.Does help
Strictly business — Preview on 14:03 - Feb 1 with 1035 viewsdenhamhoop2

Strictly business — Preview on 12:30 - Feb 1 by NW5Hoop

I don't read what Clive has said as traducing you. But a couple of points: most kids who support clubs that aren't big do so because of their families. That was the way when I was a kid, when Liverpool were by far the most supported team — in Slough! Literally the only QPR fans I knew — and QPR was the nearest club — supported them because their parents took them. No other reason.

The badge thing is such a red herring. Very few professional footballers play for the badge. They play for the money and for professional pride. I very much doubt many, except dyed in the wool fans, have ever played because they love the club. It might be different when you play for one of the great institutions of football, and you're winning — it was easy for the Class of 92 to play for the badge, because they were playing for a club that was at the time a great institution and they won every medal available — but for the vast majority of players, it's a job. They might enjoy some jobs more than others, like most of us, but it's a job. And there's no reason it should be otherwise. The whole concept of players' loyalty is almost entirely one way — it is demanded of them, but not reciprocarted. Clubs ditch players on a whim; fans turn on players at will. Also, playing for the badge does not actually generate results. It makes fans feel better about things, and is a useful unifier in difficult times, as in Holloway's first spell, and that can be a good thing, but it's no more than a feelgood thing.

Every club has their one-club heroes. But they are heroes because there are so few of them.

Jamie Carragher was a Blue growing up yet no one could doubt his loyalty to Liverpool most footballers were fans growing up but those feelings end the moment you pull on another teams shirt
Strictly business — Preview on 14:14 - Feb 1 with 1013 viewsDavieQPR

To put things in perspective Preston are losing their best player, Davies, to Liverpool, a top Prem club ,for £2m.
Strictly business — Preview on 14:34 - Feb 1 with 979 viewsswitchingcode

Strictly business — Preview on 14:14 - Feb 1 by DavieQPR

To put things in perspective Preston are losing their best player, Davies, to Liverpool, a top Prem club ,for £2m.

Yes out of contract in June
Strictly business — Preview on 15:27 - Feb 1 with 905 viewsBushman

Strictly business — Preview on 17:15 - Jan 31 by Northernr

1 - I will call you old fashioned. Your arguments always draw on examples and quotes from the time of Jim Gregory of Gerry Francis. The sport has changed, the rules have literally changed, they operated before FFP, profit and sustainability, parachute payments. It's a different ball game now. We may not like modern football, I certainly don't, but denying it is what it is, harking back to the 80s for a way of doing things, is like shouting at the moon for being the moon.

2 - Benrahma, Watkins, Maupay, Mepham, Konsa, Sawyers, Woods, Hogan. All their best players at one time or another, all sold, all the money reinvested. Not a lot of stagnation going on there, likely promoted this year, in a new stadium, 7-2 winners yesterday.

Wasn’t it Jim Gregory who said when asked in his office if a player was available replied
“Everything’s for sale,even the desk” ?

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Strictly business — Preview on 18:04 - Feb 1 with 773 viewssimmo

I see both sides here but as Clive mentions, mostly we all agree. The main problem with only being as good/safe as your next groomed asset is that it doesn't work if those assets are mismanaged and walk for nothing, which is the major failing from this Bright situation, and to a lesser extent, Manning.

And last season seems more and more like a missed opportunity with prime Eze and genuinely good forwards getting service. With Dickie and Seny in that team we could have done something, now it seems we're another couple of years away from threatening the top half. I think the point is, another year from that calibre of player and we might have done something, but with sustainability what it is, that wasn't an option for us.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Strictly business — Preview on 23:24 - Feb 1 with 609 viewsdaveB

Strictly business — Preview on 18:04 - Feb 1 by simmo

I see both sides here but as Clive mentions, mostly we all agree. The main problem with only being as good/safe as your next groomed asset is that it doesn't work if those assets are mismanaged and walk for nothing, which is the major failing from this Bright situation, and to a lesser extent, Manning.

And last season seems more and more like a missed opportunity with prime Eze and genuinely good forwards getting service. With Dickie and Seny in that team we could have done something, now it seems we're another couple of years away from threatening the top half. I think the point is, another year from that calibre of player and we might have done something, but with sustainability what it is, that wasn't an option for us.

I do wonder how close we might have gone without COVID, I was at that Preston game and we were really flying at that stage but never got going after the break
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024