Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coming home to roost — Column 22:44 - Oct 24 with 7925 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/46804
Coming home to roost — Column on 14:16 - Oct 25 with 2241 viewsflitwickhoop

Coming home to roost — Column on 13:46 - Oct 25 by Northernr

Mate I agree with you in hindsght but at the time I thought the idea of getting Redknapp in to try and scrape out of it was a reasonable idea so I can't very well sit here now and say 'idiots shouldn't have done that'.

He should never have been kept on for the following year though.

I was exactly the same at the time, I genuinely thought Redknapp would keep us up. I remember winning two on the spin in the new year and then going to Villa and battering them for the first half and losing, still believe if we'd won that game we would have stayed up and maybe it would have turned out different.

Not defending Redknapp at all here though, bloke is a c#nt
Coming home to roost — Column on 16:17 - Oct 25 with 2124 viewsMistication92

I disagree when people say FFP is to keep the small clubs small and the big clubs big. FFP allows for infrastructure spending (which I don't believe counts in the losses) and small losses generally (if you call £8m small).

What I feel it's trying to encourage is for clubs in the FL to build sustainably and gradually. Build that new stand, spend a few years building up your fanbase to a level where you're getting 20-30k. Don't just spunk money away on players and forget building the club (e.g Bournemouth). It might not work, but I feel it's at least worth trying to encourage.
Coming home to roost — Column on 16:55 - Oct 25 with 2076 viewspaulparker

Coming home to roost — Column on 08:20 - Oct 25 by rbsranger

As always another great article Clive.
Without meaning to slaughter some sacred cows here (and without taking any blame away from TF and Tune/ Air Asia) I do think that our sliding doors moment came before Hughes came here.... If only Warnock had told the newly appointed chairman on August 31 to put his chequebook away, none of this would have happened. It was after all Warnock that bought Barton, SWP and A Ferdinand that day and created the 2 different classes in the dressing room with those idiots on significantly more money than the team that had taken us up to the PL in the first place. Now had we stood still that day I assume that there is a better than even chance we would have gone down that year, but we might have gone down with team spirit and we would have been able to pocket the parachute payments in order to make a better fist of it the second time around. Don't forget that it was good ol' Joey who helped get Warnock sacked by undermining him in the dressing room and his wages that created the class difference in what was a great bunch.
What a mess

Or the other sliding doors moment that tango and cash gave Warnock the money to get in Ashley Williams, Danny Graham, Bassong, Scott Parker and Kyle Naughton all after agreeing deals to sign for us

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Coming home to roost — Column on 17:04 - Oct 25 with 2058 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Coming home to roost — Column on 14:16 - Oct 25 by flitwickhoop

I was exactly the same at the time, I genuinely thought Redknapp would keep us up. I remember winning two on the spin in the new year and then going to Villa and battering them for the first half and losing, still believe if we'd won that game we would have stayed up and maybe it would have turned out different.

Not defending Redknapp at all here though, bloke is a c#nt

I thought the same. We won 4-1 away to West Brom after winning at home (to Sunderland I think). The we got our noses in front against Villa but that was the game Benteke decided he would start making an effort and single handedly kept them up.
Coming home to roost — Column on 17:12 - Oct 25 with 2047 viewsBostonR

There is so much at stake here that both sides will not want to force the other towards some form of brinkmanship.
You can clearly see the big Premier League clubs preparing to walk away and form European Premiership Leagues 1&2. The overall governance of the game is a mess yet the game is awash with money that is not evenly distributed.
The FL have got themselves into a mess over FFP with the ultimate sanction being that they will force a member out of business. This is never going to happen.
Eventually, there will be a deal (behind closed doors) and those other clubs impacted will receive some form of compensation and the rules will be re-drawn. After that the Premier League, FL and the FA can only hope that they will have a place at the table as a wholesale re-design of those other clubs left in England , Scotland and Wales, develop a new "product". What price a new version of the Premier League 1 & 2?
Coming home to roost — Column on 17:57 - Oct 25 with 2015 viewsloneranger1

Thanks for such a great article Clive.

Interesting times ahead. Hope fanbase (and not just the people on this board) are waking up to how tough things are and could get... need to and get behind Ferdinand, Ollie and the players more than ever, COYRs!
Coming home to roost — Column on 19:23 - Oct 25 with 1942 viewsdaveB

Coming home to roost — Column on 16:55 - Oct 25 by paulparker

Or the other sliding doors moment that tango and cash gave Warnock the money to get in Ashley Williams, Danny Graham, Bassong, Scott Parker and Kyle Naughton all after agreeing deals to sign for us

to be fair he was given money by Tango and Cash, not bundles but enough to get some of them in, he instead signed, Gabbidon, Kieron Dyer, Bothroyd, DJ Campbell and Bruno Perone
Coming home to roost — Column on 19:24 - Oct 25 with 1941 viewsdaveB

Coming home to roost — Column on 17:04 - Oct 25 by CroydonCaptJack

I thought the same. We won 4-1 away to West Brom after winning at home (to Sunderland I think). The we got our noses in front against Villa but that was the game Benteke decided he would start making an effort and single handedly kept them up.

That was under Chris Ramsey
Login to get fewer ads

Coming home to roost — Column on 19:42 - Oct 25 with 1930 viewsNW5Hoop

Coming home to roost — Column on 13:46 - Oct 25 by Northernr

Mate I agree with you in hindsght but at the time I thought the idea of getting Redknapp in to try and scrape out of it was a reasonable idea so I can't very well sit here now and say 'idiots shouldn't have done that'.

He should never have been kept on for the following year though.

Pretty much the only accurate piece of prediction I've ever made was going on the Guardian's Football Weekly after Redknapp got the job and being asked if I was pleased. No, QPR are already doomed; we're still going to be relegated, but we'' now be spending an awful lot more money doing so. I'd rather have been wrong, though. About both the relegation and the money.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2017 19:43]
Coming home to roost — Column on 19:44 - Oct 25 with 1928 viewsNW5Hoop

Coming home to roost — Column on 13:50 - Oct 25 by Northernr

Well QPR are never going to have the sort of money being talked about here so options going forward are:

- TF and Tune pay it now.
- TF and Tune pay it later
- TF and Tune fight it, get a bit knocked off, and pay it.
- TF and Tune refuse to pay it and we get kicked out of the league
- TF and Tune refuse to pay it and put the club into administration

That's the question, though. Would a third party be allowed to pay the fine? Or does the club being punished have to pay it? If the latter, we'll be in breach of FFP all over again, and it'll be a never ending circle!
Coming home to roost — Column on 19:51 - Oct 25 with 1918 viewsawjm

Coming home to roost — Column on 19:44 - Oct 25 by NW5Hoop

That's the question, though. Would a third party be allowed to pay the fine? Or does the club being punished have to pay it? If the latter, we'll be in breach of FFP all over again, and it'll be a never ending circle!

I am sure the fine wouldn't be counted as losses for a further FFP fine. But I do feel that QPR itself will have to pay the fine and not a third party. Whether there's some other kind of loophole, I don't know.
Coming home to roost — Column on 21:33 - Oct 25 with 1808 viewsGloryHunter

We are now approaching the lower end of the slippery slope that started when the big clubs were allowed to end sharing gate revenues in 1983. For younger readers, this meant that in 1982 when QPR played at Old Trafford , we were given half of their gate receipts, and when Man U played at Loftus Road, they were given half of our gate receipts. In 1983 that ended - they kept all their gate receipts, and we kept ours. It was widely predicted in the press at the time that this would eventually lead to a reduction in competition, and the domination of the league by the six or so clubs with the biggest stadiums. And that was nine years before the Premier League broke away from the Football League. The current manouvering by the big clubs to get a bigger share of the TV money is the next logical step for them. English football has eaten itself, and the goose that laid the golden egg is living on borrowed time. As Nick Hornby predicted many years ago, eventually they will have to pay crowds to attend the matches, in order to provide a human backdrop for the TV pictures beamed to Asia.
Coming home to roost — Column on 21:54 - Oct 25 with 1798 viewsPunteR

Coming home to roost — Column on 21:33 - Oct 25 by GloryHunter

We are now approaching the lower end of the slippery slope that started when the big clubs were allowed to end sharing gate revenues in 1983. For younger readers, this meant that in 1982 when QPR played at Old Trafford , we were given half of their gate receipts, and when Man U played at Loftus Road, they were given half of our gate receipts. In 1983 that ended - they kept all their gate receipts, and we kept ours. It was widely predicted in the press at the time that this would eventually lead to a reduction in competition, and the domination of the league by the six or so clubs with the biggest stadiums. And that was nine years before the Premier League broke away from the Football League. The current manouvering by the big clubs to get a bigger share of the TV money is the next logical step for them. English football has eaten itself, and the goose that laid the golden egg is living on borrowed time. As Nick Hornby predicted many years ago, eventually they will have to pay crowds to attend the matches, in order to provide a human backdrop for the TV pictures beamed to Asia.

Never knew that about gate receipts..

Getting paid to watch football doesnt sound too bad. I'll have to get an agent.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Coming home to roost — Column on 07:25 - Oct 26 with 1646 viewsjohnhoop

Coming home to roost — Column on 19:51 - Oct 25 by awjm

I am sure the fine wouldn't be counted as losses for a further FFP fine. But I do feel that QPR itself will have to pay the fine and not a third party. Whether there's some other kind of loophole, I don't know.

Does anybody have anything other than guesswork on the question of whether the owners are allowed to pay the fine or whether it is “the club”, somehow independently from. the owners, that has to do it.
Because for me this is the most crucial question of all at the moment. If it is the owners, then I would hope that eventually, when all the legal avenues are exhausted, that Fernandes and the others in Tune would do the right think and pay for the colossal fcuk up they made in the promotion season,when they gambled the future of the club on going up and staying up. I don’t hate TF the way many on here seem to, but he must have been aware of the regulations and the massive gamble that he and that shyster Redknapp were making. If the appeals all fail then I just hope he has the decency to accept responsibility and put his hand in his pocket to make up for what was done.
On the other hand, if for some reason if the money has to come out of the club’s extremely limited resources without the owners being allowed to contribute, then surely we are up sh~t creek without a paddle as there is no way that the assets and income we have could ever pay off a fine of that magnitude. We would effectively be bankrupt, the League must know it and all this guff about “working with a valued member” is just sickening hypocrisy.
Coming home to roost — Column on 07:37 - Oct 26 with 1638 viewsNorthernr

Coming home to roost — Column on 19:44 - Oct 25 by NW5Hoop

Pinner, and Hoos on the podcast, say it doesn't count on the P and L column and therefore doesn't count towards FFP, otherwise like you say it's a bit ridiculous.
By third party - QPR are never going to have £40m to pay it, just as they didn't have £100m for their Championship squad, it's all coming out of Fernandes' pocket at the end of the day. What I don't want to see happen is them 'loan' the club £40m, stick £40m on the debt and charge interest on that loan. Or just say 'we're not paying it' and put the club into admin owing £40m to the league - all football creditors have to be settled in full.
Coming home to roost — Column on 08:06 - Oct 26 with 1618 viewsYorkRanger

For me the saddest part of all this is that we may never get another chance to establish ourselves at the highest level. Whilst the PL may not be all that it is cracked up to be, I think it can be made to work and clubs like Burnley, Palace, Swansea and Watford- all clubs that most would consider are similar in size to Rangers, are evidence of that.

To get it wrong once can be forgiven. To do it twice is hard to swallow.

Some of the players that wore the shirt during that period still makes me cringe. Our club was an embarrassment.

As bad now is some of the stuff you read on Twitter about the current team. The rebuilding will be a long and difficult process whilst this hangs over us and probably for a long time after.

As ever Clive an excellent piece.
Coming home to roost — Column on 08:46 - Oct 26 with 1590 viewsTheChef

Coming home to roost — Column on 08:06 - Oct 26 by YorkRanger

For me the saddest part of all this is that we may never get another chance to establish ourselves at the highest level. Whilst the PL may not be all that it is cracked up to be, I think it can be made to work and clubs like Burnley, Palace, Swansea and Watford- all clubs that most would consider are similar in size to Rangers, are evidence of that.

To get it wrong once can be forgiven. To do it twice is hard to swallow.

Some of the players that wore the shirt during that period still makes me cringe. Our club was an embarrassment.

As bad now is some of the stuff you read on Twitter about the current team. The rebuilding will be a long and difficult process whilst this hangs over us and probably for a long time after.

As ever Clive an excellent piece.

"To get it wrong once can be forgiven. To do it twice is hard to swallow."

Indeed - and to fail twice in such a short space of time as well. And yet we still managed to stay up at the end of the 2011-2012 season, that summer we really should have kick on but Hughes/Rigg/Joorabchian put paid to that.

Out of interest can anyone explain me to then how Hughes has performed relatively well at Stoke over a few seasons (although he may be hitting the skids now)?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Coming home to roost — Column on 08:49 - Oct 26 with 1588 viewsNorthernr

Coming home to roost — Column on 08:46 - Oct 26 by TheChef

"To get it wrong once can be forgiven. To do it twice is hard to swallow."

Indeed - and to fail twice in such a short space of time as well. And yet we still managed to stay up at the end of the 2011-2012 season, that summer we really should have kick on but Hughes/Rigg/Joorabchian put paid to that.

Out of interest can anyone explain me to then how Hughes has performed relatively well at Stoke over a few seasons (although he may be hitting the skids now)?

Well run club, sensible chairman, infrastructure, director of football.
Coming home to roost — Column on 09:13 - Oct 26 with 1562 viewsTheChef

Coming home to roost — Column on 08:49 - Oct 26 by Northernr

Well yeah OK, but apart from that ;)

Coming home to roost — Column on 09:17 - Oct 26 with 1559 viewsNorthernr

Coming home to roost — Column on 09:13 - Oct 26 by TheChef

Well yeah OK, but apart from that ;)

Even with all that he's not doing great. Hear a lot of familiar things from Stoke players and supporters - don't do defensive training, don't work on defending set pieces, always start the season slowly etc.
Coming home to roost — Column on 09:26 - Oct 26 with 1546 viewsBlue_Castello

Coming home to roost — Column on 08:49 - Oct 26 by Northernr

Agreed he also took over an established Premiership squad with some quality players and decided not to tinker with it too much.

Remember seeing him on Football Focus being asked about his previous management experiences and he said something like I have learnt from my mistakes......thanks a lot cooooont......
Coming home to roost — Column on 09:53 - Oct 26 with 1506 viewsTheChef

Coming home to roost — Column on 09:17 - Oct 26 by Northernr

Even with all that he's not doing great. Hear a lot of familiar things from Stoke players and supporters - don't do defensive training, don't work on defending set pieces, always start the season slowly etc.

Well he's still got Tweedledum and Tweedledee with him I think (Bowen and Niedzwiecki) so I suppose there will be some common themes. But as you say there is a strong chairman and infrastructure to keep that in check, but maybe only for so long...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024