Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bitter taste about Sweetmore 11:20 - Apr 30 with 52828 viewsswiggy

Apparently Dave Sweetmore has been given his job back for next season despite the club announcing Eden Bearshaw as his replacement. What a sad day for the integrity of RAFC. How can you give someone a job and then give back word on the last day of the season, this leaves a very bitter taste on a day that could go down in the clubs history. Trust has been severely compromised and I'm sure this will have a negative affect on season ticket sales. I for one had been a certainty but am now thinking of not purchasing. Sad sad day for the club.
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 12:45 - May 3 with 3234 viewsnordenblue

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 12:08 - May 3 by fitzochris

I have to disagree, I’m afraid, Nordenblue.

Principles haven’t gone out of the window, it’s just that some people or institutions have low ones or none at all.

While this may not be a legal issue (and I’m still not sure about that), it is certainly a moral one. I can make that statement being in possession of only the fewest of facts, too.

Should a football club have morals or principles? Well, if it is pitched as a community institution then it bloody well should, yes. We expect players to be role models for the younger generations, so why should the club that employs them be exempt from that?

As for the constant clamour for statements, I gave up commenting on the club’s media strategy after the whole Calvin Andrew incident. A similar thing has happened here. The lack of a pre-emptive official club statement has led to a media outlet running a negative article. The fact that a club employee (volunteer or not) is quoted in the article makes it even more bewildering.

Whatever anyone on here, or at the club, thinks about this situation, nobody can deny that the Rochdale Online article is very damaging from a club perception point of view.

Football clubs even at our level are so out of touch with the everyday fan it's staggering,the players,management all the way to the top are earning God knows how many multiples of Joe public wage that many have no grasp of reality to begin with.... difficult to compare principles

You mention the Calvin incident,again many on here were kicking and screaming asking for club statements without knowing the full facts it's pretty laughable to say what the club "should" be doing.

The sooner people realise as a fan you're just viewed as a cash cow by the club,reports like this will continue to annoy you.
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 12:46 - May 3 with 3223 viewsKnowlesy

I'll admit that I'm not happy about the way Eden has been treated and I think it stinks, but to say that you'll not buy a season ticket on the back of it is a bit of a joke really. The club have acted poorly and don't seem keen to publicly rectify it but I'll be taking up my seat in the Pearl St regardless, it's pretty fickle if anyone is swayed by this IMHO.

I'm sure Eden will still be attending, he didn't go home when he was told about the change, so if he can get over it, so can everybody else.
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 13:04 - May 3 with 3130 viewsBrierls

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 06:28 - May 3 by TalkingSutty

You're coming across as a right spoilt brat now who isn't getting his own way. Stamping your feet up and down on the forum isn't going to work. In fact look through last nights post and it's pretty obvious it's you lot from the Cemetery who are making the most noise, if Eden wasn't attached to yourselves you wouldn't be having these tantrums, come on admit it, you haven't got your own way and it's personal because one of your drinking buddies has been shafted. Even a fruitcake can work that out😀👍

There's also bad feeling towards David seeping through this thread, having never spoken to the guy because to me he is just the 'tannoy man',i can't vouch for his character only his repetitive shite taste in music and his screeching delivery. He should have fallen on his sword but like I say, people at the Club want him to stay, he's popular.

The Club will be fully aware that they have shafted your pal and we all know it's bad form but what can you do if they deem Mr Sweetmore the best man for the job? It's a harsh world out there and life isn't fair, maybe Eden can learn a lesson from this sorry episode and not trust people on their word. The Club might think Sweetmore is capable of generating more income from his music functions that he holds at the Club and it isn't just about playing a few records and announcing the teams. That extra income could be the difference between a Dave Helliwell or a George Donnelly and then we would all benefit!!

Anybody who buys into this 'Team Rochdale' theme is pretty naive, 'Team Rochdale' was rolled out for everybody to see with last seasons ST fiasco. It's a business and those in charge will make decisions that they think will ultimately benefit the Club. Threatening to withdraw your support regarding purchasing a Season Ticket over this issue is also pretty childish. One of your mates has been shafted by the Club, I agree with you it's very poor form, but it's for him to sort out not you or anybody else. We've all expressed our disappointment towards the decision and it's not going to change. I would imagine Eden wouldn't take the job now anyway. In a nutshell...You're childish antics and comments aren't doing Eden any favours.
[Post edited 3 May 2017 6:44]

If thats how I'm coming across to you then fair enough, it really isn't my concern. I am genuinely disgusted with the way the club have shafted Eden, and more so how they went about it. The fact it happened to somebody I know doesn't change the opinion that a person/people within the club have got this very very wrong.

The "returning fruitcake" comment was a thinly veiled (cliquey) dig at Kel. I don't know if you've noticed but he's made a few appearances on here of late. Actually, who I am I kidding, of course you've noticed, it's the very reason you're back. It's interesting that you immediately identified the fruitcake as yourself though. Whoops.

You've shown your colours in your posts on this thread. Each one has been in response to one of the 'Clique', or to say something about the 'Clique'. If you see past the red mist for a second, which is clearly very difficult for you, you will see the disgruntled posts have come from a wide range of posters. But don't let the facts that are staring you in the face get in the way of your misguided rant.

I'll continue to voice my disgust if that's OK with you.

Yours,
Brierls. Age 37 and Three Quarters.
[Post edited 3 May 2017 13:26]
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 13:05 - May 3 with 3122 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 12:46 - May 3 by Knowlesy

I'll admit that I'm not happy about the way Eden has been treated and I think it stinks, but to say that you'll not buy a season ticket on the back of it is a bit of a joke really. The club have acted poorly and don't seem keen to publicly rectify it but I'll be taking up my seat in the Pearl St regardless, it's pretty fickle if anyone is swayed by this IMHO.

I'm sure Eden will still be attending, he didn't go home when he was told about the change, so if he can get over it, so can everybody else.

Two things. From what I've heard he's absolutely gutted. Also, this has not been a collective decision from within the club. The fact that the club have not released any statement, are having meetings and hearing representations means that the club may not yet have reached a final decision. Sense may yet prevail.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 13:08 - May 3 with 3095 viewsD_Alien

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 12:46 - May 3 by Knowlesy

Tend to agree - it's two different issues

On the first, about not buying a ST, I go to games to watch football and everything else that happens behind the scenes has no interest to me unless something happens that's just completely out of order. I'll be there next season to support the players on the pitch

On the tannoyman issue - it's NOT done and dusted, not by a long chalk. We have a chairman who the vast majority of fans think the world of, and I have to ask - what does he think his role is in all this? Leadership is required, and he's the person to do it. I really don't want to have to think of him in future as the head of a structure that carried out such a dirty deed and then failed to rectify it. Is that how he wants to be seen, after the huge amount of goodwill he's helped generate for the club? The clock is ticking...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 13:20 - May 3 with 3020 viewsSuddenLad

Whatever people think about the 'Tannoygate' situation - and God knows there's been some column inches used up on here, the fact remains that this is ultimately none of our business.

It is for the three parties involved to come to a mutual agreement which suits them all and to then move on.

None of us on here should be talking about surrendering £50 deposits or failing to buy season tickets. Get real. Stop the 'mock horror' and let them sort it out.
[Post edited 3 May 2017 13:33]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 13:47 - May 3 with 2883 viewsTalkingSutty

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 13:05 - May 3 by BigDaveMyCock

Two things. From what I've heard he's absolutely gutted. Also, this has not been a collective decision from within the club. The fact that the club have not released any statement, are having meetings and hearing representations means that the club may not yet have reached a final decision. Sense may yet prevail.

Looks like a witch hunt this towards Sweetmore, instigated in the main by you lot, his mates in the Cem. The club made a pigs ear of it, get over it and support your Club.
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 13:52 - May 3 with 2844 viewsSandyDrum

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 13:47 - May 3 by TalkingSutty

Looks like a witch hunt this towards Sweetmore, instigated in the main by you lot, his mates in the Cem. The club made a pigs ear of it, get over it and support your Club.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Login to get fewer ads

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 14:27 - May 3 with 2707 viewsDaleiLama

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 13:20 - May 3 by SuddenLad

Whatever people think about the 'Tannoygate' situation - and God knows there's been some column inches used up on here, the fact remains that this is ultimately none of our business.

It is for the three parties involved to come to a mutual agreement which suits them all and to then move on.

None of us on here should be talking about surrendering £50 deposits or failing to buy season tickets. Get real. Stop the 'mock horror' and let them sort it out.
[Post edited 3 May 2017 13:33]

Agree that it's between the three parties to resolve and this thread seems to be disintegrating into an uncivil, civil war. Also agree that anyone letting this (somewhat) isolated incident affect their attendance next year would be cutting their nose off to spite their face. Our club is hardly behaving like our indefensible "nightmare neighbour" out West.

With regards to it being none of our business though, I would contend that not only integrity but credibility is at stake here. Any comments about #TeamRochdale, letting the town become the club, asking for help, support etc etc would have profoundly less impact for many if this issue is not resolved fairly and properly. The club may not lose numbers at the turnstile, but goodwill will most certainly suffer. At such a pivotal juncture of its development, it would be beyond incompetent to let that happen.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 14:32 - May 3 with 2679 viewsTTNYear

We do support the club though Sutty

Yes or no answer, if it was your mate TS, would you defend/back him?

Anti-cliquism is the last refuge of the messageboard scoundrel - Copyright Dorset Dale productions

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 14:36 - May 3 with 2660 views442Dale

In a bid (again) to restore some sort of order to this discussion, it's worth noting that, until we are told otherwise by the club, the story released by RAFC on 7th April remains the official stance at present.

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/eden-bearshaw-appointed-as-dal

To amend this and rectify the issue where person A left a role and person B was given it before there was an apparent change in circumstances, the club do indeed owe its supporters an explanation around that change. An explanation equal to that which informed supporters of the change in matchday announcer on the 7th April.

Please can we all try and agree that's the way forward here, thus drawing a line under the rest.
[Post edited 3 May 2017 14:45]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 14:43 - May 3 with 2620 viewsD_Alien

Wrong, I'm afraid TS

I couldn't care less who Eden's connections are. As it turns out, some of them I've been at loggerheads with for quite some time on various issues. C'est la vie

But on this one, it's dead simple, and we're waiting for the club to do the right thing or risk losing more than just face

If that happens, we can all move on, and resume normal hostilities

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 14:51 - May 3 with 2572 viewsfitzochris

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 14:36 - May 3 by 442Dale

In a bid (again) to restore some sort of order to this discussion, it's worth noting that, until we are told otherwise by the club, the story released by RAFC on 7th April remains the official stance at present.

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/eden-bearshaw-appointed-as-dal

To amend this and rectify the issue where person A left a role and person B was given it before there was an apparent change in circumstances, the club do indeed owe its supporters an explanation around that change. An explanation equal to that which informed supporters of the change in matchday announcer on the 7th April.

Please can we all try and agree that's the way forward here, thus drawing a line under the rest.
[Post edited 3 May 2017 14:45]

Absolutely, especially as there is currently a story in the media that contradicts the most recent official statement from the club.
[Post edited 3 May 2017 14:54]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 14:55 - May 3 with 2551 viewsDaleiLama

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 14:43 - May 3 by D_Alien

Wrong, I'm afraid TS

I couldn't care less who Eden's connections are. As it turns out, some of them I've been at loggerheads with for quite some time on various issues. C'est la vie

But on this one, it's dead simple, and we're waiting for the club to do the right thing or risk losing more than just face

If that happens, we can all move on, and resume normal hostilities

If the role, which is becoming more of a poisoned chalice by the minute, isn't filled by either candidate by mutual consent, I would vote for a Stephen Hawking-type announcement system.

If Stephen would also share with us some of the secrets of the universe over the PA before each game, that would educate us, resolve the playlist disputes and even allow people to hold a conversation if they wished?

(edit - whatsmore, it would be a fitting way for our budding galacticos to be introduced)
[Post edited 3 May 2017 15:00]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 15:03 - May 3 with 2504 viewsboromat

If this thread gets as many pages as the season ticket thread

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 16:15 - May 3 with 2345 viewsjudd

I expect the club will look to resolve this sorry mess before tomorrow's AGM of shareholders.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 16:55 - May 3 with 2219 viewsmingthemerciless

I've absolutely no dog in this fight but If I had my way all DJ's would be consigned to the mythical " Room 101 ". I've lost count of social events I've attended that have been ruined by egotistical knobs playing the music they may like at ear splitting levels.
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 17:13 - May 3 with 2160 views442Dale

http://mobile.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/club-statement-matchday-ann

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 17:18 - May 3 with 2129 viewsjudd

Well done all concerned. I feel like some Stone Roses

Poll: What is it to be then?

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 17:21 - May 3 with 2080 views442Dale

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 17:18 - May 3 by judd

Well done all concerned. I feel like some Stone Roses

It's to everyone's credit that the situation was cleared up in such an effective manner.

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 17:22 - May 3 with 2075 viewsD_Alien

Good words from Eden, looking forward to more on matchdays

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 17:23 - May 3 with 2059 views1907

Can we all calm down and go and buy some season tickets now?
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 17:24 - May 3 with 2037 viewsRAFCBLUE

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 17:13 - May 3 by 442Dale

http://mobile.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/club-statement-matchday-ann

Good to see it's been put to bed.

Bad though that it took this level of fuss, outcry and publicity to see the pre-announced outcome of 7th April followed through.

Interesting that the DS version change markedly between the Rochdale Online version and the club piece.

Good luck to Eden.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 17:28 - May 3 with 1993 viewsSuddenLad

Back-pedalling to Olympic standards.

Mountain out of a molehill. Let's move on and stop the back-biting.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 17:28 - May 3 with 1985 viewsSandyDrum

Credit to Eden for standing his ground and being so professional about it and keeping his mouth shut until the official word was given.

I think Sweetmore dropped a clanger by talking to Rochdale Online and self announcing that he was staying, that was probably the final nail in the proverbial coffin.

Glad it's sorted, all the best to Eden in the new role!

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024