Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread 14:40 - Aug 6 with 48334 viewsMonkey_Roots

This could be my first and last.

Firstly, last season's lasting legacy will hopefully last long into Marti's first full season.

At long last, and for the first time in ages, there's more positivity sprinkled around, and as such, the first game of this season certainly feels a lot less doom-laden than the last first game of last season.

Lastly, I think Varane will get his first taste of the Championship in his first start, nabbing his first goal, and his first MOM award, in this his first game in England.

Long may it last.

1-1
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:17 - Aug 10 with 3339 viewsdigswellhoop

same old who coaching the defence
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:25 - Aug 10 with 3235 viewsRangersDave

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 14:09 - Aug 10 by QPunkR

He does have a very funny gait

Thats his 'Style' shirley?

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:25 - Aug 10 with 3234 viewsAntti_Heinola

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 14:46 - Aug 10 by Nov77

For those who said ‘it’s only a friendly’ the writing was on the wall against Brighton, that was an abysmal performance, we’re no way near prepared or ready.

Please explain WBA’s awful pre season and implosion v birmingham then.
Reactionary nonsense.

Bare bones.

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:26 - Aug 10 with 3217 viewsDamo1962

Just turned on thinking it was a 3 o'clock KO 🤭Pretty predictable result TBH. Never really understood all the optimism. Still no goals in this team for me. At least we can only improve...and we will need to.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:27 - Aug 10 with 3207 viewsnyhoops

The afmosphere seemed dull through the TV, I'd describe the performance as mid-management sort of dull as well, but not massively alarming. A gentle, sleepy, unsatisfying match. Smyth frustrates me, I think he should be a division below and would be smashing it, just can't break through to the next level. I enjoyed Kolli and Lloyd personally. Defensively we got smashed on the wings, needs to tighten. Varane a positive. Shrugs on the strikers. So happy we have Rangers back.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:27 - Aug 10 with 3199 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Just back, the goal was great but the rest pedestrian.
We need to cross the ball earlier, a couple of times we waited and then that big 6 was just waiting to clear it.

First game, a couple of wingers or one and Chair and things will get better.

Smyth looked our only real threat with Anderson.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:27 - Aug 10 with 3185 viewsAntti_Heinola

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 14:48 - Aug 10 by QPunkR

Can't see how Andersen played really well personally. Very good movement and header for the goal but in possession he was poor. Without Chair he looks half the player

Was v good in possession. Think you were watching a different player.

Bare bones.

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:28 - Aug 10 with 3181 viewsNorthantsHoop

Scored first, sat back and then let John Swift run the midfield. They looked a better team than us to be honest and allowing 3 goals from crosses well just not good enough. Colback and Field just don't work as a midfield duo, ditch Colback and put new boy Varane in. Thought Andersen was our stand out today, especially 2nd half but really no goal threat, Celar off the pace, Frey a bit better but we were basically outplayed.
Login to get fewer ads

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:32 - Aug 10 with 3113 viewsDamo1962

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 14:38 - Aug 10 by corse

Varanne did ok. From the few minutes on the pitch I could tell. Does seem to have a good eye for positioning and definitely was on the positive side. But Colback and Field are the real concerns and I doubt we will see much of Kolli/ Lloyd anymore if the Japanese one and Dembele are signing up.

Keep telling everyone that Field is overrated. Colback is finished at this level too. Just like the weather...Rangers always manage to spoil my summer. When did we last win an opening day match?
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:33 - Aug 10 with 3105 viewsRangersDave

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:28 - Aug 10 by NorthantsHoop

Scored first, sat back and then let John Swift run the midfield. They looked a better team than us to be honest and allowing 3 goals from crosses well just not good enough. Colback and Field just don't work as a midfield duo, ditch Colback and put new boy Varane in. Thought Andersen was our stand out today, especially 2nd half but really no goal threat, Celar off the pace, Frey a bit better but we were basically outplayed.

Is that chap from Bristol available? 😜

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:35 - Aug 10 with 3075 viewsmonners1969

Frustrating game to watch - very little to be happy about - exposed badly down the wings - couldn’t play through the middle and no decent link up play in final third - felt sorry for celar. Anderson ok liked Lloyd when he came on

We need more pace than smyth and get the ball into the box quicker
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:39 - Aug 10 with 3019 viewsBlackCrowe

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:35 - Aug 10 by monners1969

Frustrating game to watch - very little to be happy about - exposed badly down the wings - couldn’t play through the middle and no decent link up play in final third - felt sorry for celar. Anderson ok liked Lloyd when he came on

We need more pace than smyth and get the ball into the box quicker

Alfie looked good.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:49 - Aug 10 with 2891 viewsandrew1302

Anderson and Smyth to me are the same. They do lots of good things but at the moment it matters generally they get it wrong. Anderson had 2 big chances in the 2nd half and just messed up. Smyth always seems to make a hash as soon as he gets anywhere hear the opposition box.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 16:04 - Aug 10 with 2745 viewsBurnleyhoop

How we could and should set up with a more offensive approach:
Nardi
Dunne Cook JCS Pal
Field
Dembele Varane Anderson Chair
Celar

Two holding midfielders leaves only Anderson trying to run offensive midfield with little outlet if wingers are closed down. Need more movement.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 16:04 - Aug 10 with 2745 viewslassel

Pretty much what I predicted before the game, couple of goal defeat and the world ending.

The reality is it simply showed why Marti wants a new RB & LB, another CM and 2x wingers.

Smyth is a lovely lad and nobody works harder but it’s bonkers that he’s playing at this level and unfortunately he rarely if ever makes the right decision. The midfield was so so easy to pass through or just chip over so Varane & AN Other will make a difference.

Ultimately it’s a case of getting through to 1st Sept and seeing what we have to work with.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 16:16 - Aug 10 with 2564 viewsGaryHaddock

Gary Haddock’s Positive Plaice (for our mental health if nothing else)

1. Smyth

Delivery still lacking but his best game for us in my opinion. No Andy Sinton, but his increased physicality and endeavour will deliver goals eventually. Throw enough darts, you’ll get a few bullseyes.

2. Set Pieces

Much improved. Accurate and won a lot more aerially than previous seasons against a physical side. Will expect this to deliver for us against some of the half asleep / Quentin Crisp sides. On another day Frey would have got two from two if he hadn’t stood on the ball / put it through The Springbok’s window. Special mention to Anderson for the deliveries.

3. Barnets

Some absolute manes on display today. Stand up Anderson, Bennie, and Kolli. Not you Dunne.
[Post edited 11 Aug 14:18]
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 16:20 - Aug 10 with 2531 viewsBushRanger82

Not a performance that fills one with hope.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 16:20 - Aug 10 with 2527 viewsdutch

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 16:16 - Aug 10 by GaryHaddock

1. Smyth

Delivery still lacking but his best game for us in my opinion. No Andy Sinton, but his increased physicality and endeavour will deliver goals eventually. Throw enough darts, you’ll get a few bullseyes.

2. Set Pieces

Much improved. Accurate and won a lot more aerially than previous seasons against a physical side. Will expect this to deliver for us against some of the half asleep / Quentin Crisp sides. On another day Frey would have got two from two if he hadn’t stood on the ball / put it through The Springbok’s window. Special mention to Anderson for the deliveries.

3. Barnets

Some absolute manes on display today. Stand up Anderson, Bennie, and Kolli. Not you Dunne.

Poor all round. Thought Paal was worst of a bad bunch, got roasted all afternoon. Alfie Lloyd was good when he came on, don't understand why some giving him pelters. Neither of our forwards exactly fill me with joy, hope we get Illias back and get someone else in.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 16:25 - Aug 10 with 2458 viewsqueensparker

Thought West Brom looked like a decent team.

For me the centre midfield is our problem. Nobody showing for the ball, didn't pick up any second balls, several times in the first half West Brom waltzed through the middle of the park, and can't think of a single decent pass forward from Field or Colback all game. Hope Varane proves decent as taking Hayden out of last season's midfield we looked very ordinary.

Can't really judge our new centre forward as nobody passed to him all game. Thought Smyth, Anderson and Alfie Lloyd played well.

Lovely weather though and not too bothered, we'll get better no doubt. It's no Watford away.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 16:25 - Aug 10 with 2446 viewsDorse

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 14:55 - Aug 10 by NorthLondonR

Paul Nardi, Paul Nardi, pretty sure there is nothing to be scared of...
Don't you ever, don't you ever, don't ever launch it long from a deadball...

Or some such

'Well, Nardi dah...'

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 16:38 - Aug 10 with 2237 viewsLblock

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 16:16 - Aug 10 by GaryHaddock

1. Smyth

2. Set Pieces

3. Barnets

On point 2 I get your position but what wound me up is every single one of the 369 corners we had was EXACTLY the same.
Jesus puts his right arm up and it’s a medium pace delivery to same area.

Screaming for him to mix it up a bit.
Perhaps it’s a mental block with Jesus and crosses

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:25 - Aug 10 with 1892 viewsPdog

If we're all hoping & predicting a mid-table season finish then expect to lose 15+ games a season, of which there will be games like that. On another day we score 2 or 3, which will be one of the 15+ games we win to achieve mid table. Early days.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:29 - Aug 10 with 1848 viewsdavman

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 13:32 - Aug 10 by rbee

Have never understood the negativity towards Paal.

After the second and third goals, do you understand it any better?

Absolutely roasted for their second, pathetic loose leg out. Then gross dereliction by leaving young Alfie Lloyd 1 on 1 with an expert Champ winger. He is a f**king full back, but he can't defend, doesn't beat a man and can't f**cking cross. Even our goal he had a perfect opportunity to cross it, delayed, fed Kolli who, thankfully CAN cross a ball.

Then later in teh first half he has three players at the near post, so what does he do? Cowardly puts it into a danger area at the far post where there are no players.

Technical, lovely first touch, nice keep ball first touch triangle stuff - no more than a five a side / futsal player.

I for one cannot wait to get rid of the fraudster he is.

Neither of our full backs are good enough to make Marti's formation work. Shock ed that he is sticking with Jimmy. Love Jimmy, but no full back in a million years - he's just there for his headers.

So, I can't understand why Paal doesn't get more negativity. Add in to that, he's just going through the motions content to wind his contract down...

I am not a fan of his...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:37 - Aug 10 with 1754 viewsNortholt_Rs

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:29 - Aug 10 by davman

After the second and third goals, do you understand it any better?

Absolutely roasted for their second, pathetic loose leg out. Then gross dereliction by leaving young Alfie Lloyd 1 on 1 with an expert Champ winger. He is a f**king full back, but he can't defend, doesn't beat a man and can't f**cking cross. Even our goal he had a perfect opportunity to cross it, delayed, fed Kolli who, thankfully CAN cross a ball.

Then later in teh first half he has three players at the near post, so what does he do? Cowardly puts it into a danger area at the far post where there are no players.

Technical, lovely first touch, nice keep ball first touch triangle stuff - no more than a five a side / futsal player.

I for one cannot wait to get rid of the fraudster he is.

Neither of our full backs are good enough to make Marti's formation work. Shock ed that he is sticking with Jimmy. Love Jimmy, but no full back in a million years - he's just there for his headers.

So, I can't understand why Paal doesn't get more negativity. Add in to that, he's just going through the motions content to wind his contract down...

I am not a fan of his...

West Brom definitely targeted Paal… expect to see lots of other sides do the same.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:38 - Aug 10 with 1745 viewsNed_Kennedys

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 16:38 - Aug 10 by Lblock

On point 2 I get your position but what wound me up is every single one of the 369 corners we had was EXACTLY the same.
Jesus puts his right arm up and it’s a medium pace delivery to same area.

Screaming for him to mix it up a bit.
Perhaps it’s a mental block with Jesus and crosses

But most of his corners were quality and caused them issues: should’ve led to a few goals.
A class above what Chair etc we’re doing with set pieces first half of last season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024