Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
alex macarthy 09:10 - Aug 1 with 1058 viewssledger

is he a con merchant,contract running down put a few performances in,get a new contract revert to type or did bazuna just set the bar so low that anyone was an improvement.
alex macarthy on 09:13 - Aug 1 with 1043 viewssaintwizzler

I’m sure he’d much rather put a foot through the ball than try to play out from the back.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

alex macarthy on 09:29 - Aug 1 with 1005 viewsIanSouthstander

He's not a con merchant. He's not running his contract down. He tries his best and gives 100% every time he puts our shirt on.

Simple truth is that he's just not very good.
alex macarthy on 09:31 - Aug 1 with 1002 viewsSaintNick

alex macarthy on 09:29 - Aug 1 by IanSouthstander

He's not a con merchant. He's not running his contract down. He tries his best and gives 100% every time he puts our shirt on.

Simple truth is that he's just not very good.

I agree with Ian, he is giving 100% he is just not up to the job of being a number 1 keeper, I am not sure why people are so nasty to players who give their all, in situations like this

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Alex McCarthy on 09:59 - Aug 1 with 941 viewsdirk_doone

alex macarthy on 09:31 - Aug 1 by SaintNick

I agree with Ian, he is giving 100% he is just not up to the job of being a number 1 keeper, I am not sure why people are so nasty to players who give their all, in situations like this

I understand what you're saying, Nick, and I agree that's he's probably doing his best, but the nicer we are, the longer he stays. He's made more than enough money now to retire a lot more comfortably than the rest of us. Maybe he could play somewhere more his level, like Eastleigh, if he wants to continue playing.

The time has come for the fans to make it very clear to the club something that they don't seem to know: we urgently need a new goalkeeper or we're going to be relegated again. Your front page articles get quite a lot of coverage, Nick, so perhaps you could headline the next one, "Why we need a new goalkeeper now." It might help and it's better to do it now than halfway through the season, when it will be too late.

[Post edited 1 Aug 10:08]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Alex McCarthy on 11:02 - Aug 1 with 848 viewsSaintNick

Alex McCarthy on 09:59 - Aug 1 by dirk_doone

I understand what you're saying, Nick, and I agree that's he's probably doing his best, but the nicer we are, the longer he stays. He's made more than enough money now to retire a lot more comfortably than the rest of us. Maybe he could play somewhere more his level, like Eastleigh, if he wants to continue playing.

The time has come for the fans to make it very clear to the club something that they don't seem to know: we urgently need a new goalkeeper or we're going to be relegated again. Your front page articles get quite a lot of coverage, Nick, so perhaps you could headline the next one, "Why we need a new goalkeeper now." It might help and it's better to do it now than halfway through the season, when it will be too late.

[Post edited 1 Aug 10:08]

My point is that most players are trying their best, the fact they are not good enough does not make them nasty people who deserve abuse.

I have been saying that we need a new goalkeeper now since the final kick of the play off final at Wembley, perhaps I might take up your challenge and put that headline up.

I would hope that Russell Martin if he was in any doubt, now knows he needs a new keeper, but he isnt going to shout about it and put a few thousand on the cost of getting one

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Alex McCarthy on 17:22 - Aug 2 with 566 viewsGRIM

Alex McCarthy on 11:02 - Aug 1 by SaintNick

My point is that most players are trying their best, the fact they are not good enough does not make them nasty people who deserve abuse.

I have been saying that we need a new goalkeeper now since the final kick of the play off final at Wembley, perhaps I might take up your challenge and put that headline up.

I would hope that Russell Martin if he was in any doubt, now knows he needs a new keeper, but he isnt going to shout about it and put a few thousand on the cost of getting one

He's an England International.
But so was Forster.
Not that difficult to get an England cap is it.
alex macarthy on 18:20 - Aug 2 with 535 viewssaintmark1976

alex macarthy on 09:13 - Aug 1 by saintwizzler

I’m sure he’d much rather put a foot through the ball than try to play out from the back.

There is a reason Bazunu played for most of last season which is that he can play out from the back.Unfortunately what he can’t do very well is actually keep goal.

Mccarthy on the other hand is a better goalkeeper in the old fashioned sense of the meaning but poor at playing from the back.

Given that there is no chance of Bazunu making a miracle recovery anytime soon I expect that McCarthy will feature for most if not all of season 24/25.

If Russell Martin changes our style of play to accommodate McCarthy’s weaknesses I don’t think we need worry too much. On the other hand ……..

Poll: Should Russell Martin be sacked after saying he won’t compromise?

Alex McCarthy on 18:37 - Aug 2 with 508 viewsdirk_doone

Alex McCarthy on 17:22 - Aug 2 by GRIM

He's an England International.
But so was Forster.
Not that difficult to get an England cap is it.

There is a difference.

McCarthy made one sub appearance in a friendly against the USA in 2018. Southgate was having a look at just about any English goalkeeper in the Premier League. He obviously didn't like what he saw in those few minutes because he never played again.

Forster won 6 caps under both Hodgson and Southgate. He was in the 2014 World Cup qualifiers squad, the Euro 2016 squad and, more recently, in the squad for the Euro 2024 qualifiers. He was on the bench in nearly 40 England games, mostly at the time when Joe Hart was the undisputed first choice. He's also played in 30 Champions League games for Spurs and Celtic, the last one being a 0-0 draw against AC Milan last year.

Forster was always a better goalkeeper than McCarthy and the stats clearly show that.
[Post edited 2 Aug 19:07]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Alex McCarthy on 19:14 - Aug 2 with 444 viewsGRIM

Alex McCarthy on 18:37 - Aug 2 by dirk_doone

There is a difference.

McCarthy made one sub appearance in a friendly against the USA in 2018. Southgate was having a look at just about any English goalkeeper in the Premier League. He obviously didn't like what he saw in those few minutes because he never played again.

Forster won 6 caps under both Hodgson and Southgate. He was in the 2014 World Cup qualifiers squad, the Euro 2016 squad and, more recently, in the squad for the Euro 2024 qualifiers. He was on the bench in nearly 40 England games, mostly at the time when Joe Hart was the undisputed first choice. He's also played in 30 Champions League games for Spurs and Celtic, the last one being a 0-0 draw against AC Milan last year.

Forster was always a better goalkeeper than McCarthy and the stats clearly show that.

Don't disagree that Forster was better than McCarthy.
But can you imagine Forster trying to play Russball, playing out from the back.
That would have been fun to watch.
I still think a goalkeepers main job is to keep the ball out of the net.
RM obviously doesn't agree with that.
Alex McCarthy on 19:50 - Aug 2 with 428 viewsInTimeAddedOn

Alex McCarthy on 18:37 - Aug 2 by dirk_doone

There is a difference.

I remember a comedy moment from that USA friendly. My daughter (also a Saints fan) went to the game, I got a call from her as the teams were about to start the second half, she asked if that was our McCarthy, when I said it was she said what’s he doing in goal for England?! From what she said he mercifully had little to do during the second half but I agree Southgate obviously wasn’t impressed as he never got called up again so I guess he saw more than enough in training to realise he wasn’t a viable future option.
[Post edited 2 Aug 19:58]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024