Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Udders Match Thread 06:54 - Nov 8 with 37990 viewsdavman

Lying in bed with an infected tooth trying to rouse myself for a day at work before the trip up to London...

It feels like we are in the midst of Mick's first real test. Early season defeats put down to it being early days and a long injury list, a recovery when all players come back and get used to his style, then some alarming performances with the majority of players back and dare I say it when oppo teams find a way of stifling us to the point we stop scoring.

Nothing terminal by any stretch of the imagination, but the lack of guile to break down WBA leading to only half chances was a concern.

Got to bounce back tonight, haven't we to ensure we head towards the break with any sense of momentum...

Fear a disappointment (as always), but going for a squeaky 2-1 win. See you there!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Udders Match Thread on 22:06 - Nov 8 with 1831 viewsShotKneesHoop

Udders Match Thread on 21:08 - Nov 8 by CamberleyR

If Huddersfield can defend like this, how the fúck are they bottom of the table?

Because they are playing QPR

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Udders Match Thread on 22:07 - Nov 8 with 1808 viewsstainrods_elbow

Udders Match Thread on 22:00 - Nov 8 by Match82

This first paragraph is spot on. We've had 36 shots, have we ever had that many chances in a game, let alone one we've lost? But those chances were made difficult because we've made silly defensive errors and made life much more difficult for ourselves.

Even starting at 2-1 down, we play that game like we did today another 10 times and we'd win 8 of them. But we didn't need to be in that position in the first place.

Couldn't disagree more. Of those 36 'chances' most of them were blocked or wild or otherwise ineffectual - I think their keeper made at most two decent saves all night (from Tim and Richards). And if we played 10 more games like we played tnoight, we'd lose all 10. Time to take off your blue-and-white spectacles, I'd say.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Udders Match Thread on 22:07 - Nov 8 with 1822 viewsMatch82

Udders Match Thread on 22:06 - Nov 8 by VancouverHoop

It's mebbe a good thing they have a month off to work some of this stuff out. Johansen should be back then too. He makes a bigger difference than many of us realise. There's no way of knowing for sure, but I'd lay odds we'd have put in a better showing today with him on the pitch. Love Ilias but he's not an on-field captain. He's far too emotional.

On the (very slim) plus side. Richards looked good when he came on. Should probably start on Saturday.

Richards looked v good. Hope that's a sign of things to come
Udders Match Thread on 22:09 - Nov 8 with 1773 viewsDamo1962

Udders Match Thread on 21:57 - Nov 8 by ted_hendrix

Posted this elsewhere whilst in a bad mood.

We had 90+ minutes to score tonight, shithousing has nothing to do with It, over 30 shots we had tonight, bloody 30.
I know where the problem Is.

I'm done with football now cos It'll be the same result Saturday.

We've got to get away with blaming shithousing and bad refs and take a look at ourselves.

Totally agree Ted. Too easy to blame others for our deficiencies. We will lose on Saturday, and that will be four defeats in five...and a goal-less draw. I too am sick of our annual implosions. I reckon MB will be off to the other Rangers if this carries on much longer. He surely can see now what he is up against with our club, and I wouldn't blame him for taking an easier gig.
Udders Match Thread on 22:10 - Nov 8 with 1751 viewsstainrods_elbow

Udders Match Thread on 22:07 - Nov 8 by Match82

Richards looked v good. Hope that's a sign of things to come

He was OK, not 'very good'. Had a shot at least that worked their keeper, which stood out only because of the crushing mediocrity and fruitless huff and puff around him. Agree he should start at Cov if only by default.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2022 22:10]

Udders Match Thread on 22:11 - Nov 8 with 1747 viewsGreenbay

MATCH ANALYSIS
QPR 1 Huddersfield 2
I wonder whether Mick Beale is thinking — perhaps I should have taken the Wolves job?
Probably not - but this match was an utter mess for our team — despite our huge possession.
Beale has to address why we are so poor defending set-pieces.
Two goals conceded within 25 minutes of the start and it could have been more.
It seems we are sinking into a quagmire of problems.
Can’t defend against free kicks and we can’t create clear chances.
It’s a disaster and I’m an optimist!
You can’t blame bottom of the table Huddersfield for putting 10 men behind the ball in the second half when leading 2-1.
And you can't blame them for time-wasting - especially Thomas - when as we have all discussed the refs are so weak in the Championship.
If the boot was on the other foot we would say good 'game management'.
Anyway we huffed and we puffed but we were allowed only long range shots from Willock, Richards, Chair and Adomah.
We had 71% of possession and 36 shots but only 6 on target.
But possession meant nothing.
Momentum is a wonderful thing and during October we had 5 wins from 6 matches.
Now we’re drifting into midtable.
Surprisingly we are still in the play-off spots — 6th place on goal difference from Preston.
The World Cup break — after we play at Coventry on Saturday - can’t come soon enough.
Not just for the squad and everyone else associated with the club but for us — US fans.
It really is painful after our team promised so much.
To think we had a huge piece of luck when Ward, bearing down inside the penalty within 25 seconds of the start, should have scored but Seny blocked his shot.
Then just 65 seconds later Dykes hit his 27th goal for the club in his 100th appearance.
He tapped home a Willock cross from the left - Willock having combined smartly with Paal.
It was our first goal in three and a half games.
And so there I was and maybe you too — thinking we’re going to score 4 or 5 in this match.
But not to be.
If you can’t defend against set-pieces then you have a glaring weakness.
And that’s what we have.
Before 10 minutes was completed Ruffels rifled home a close range shot after a header from the back post following a Thomas free-kick out wide.
Then midway through the half — after another free-kick — it was Ruffels again who lobbed Seny — off his line. A bit fortuitous but we again have to question Seny’s positioning.
So more disappointment.
Yes the team and the subs tried hard but we just don’t have the skill to succeed when we are battling up a hill.
However — back to being an optimist - victory at Coventry on Saturday will put us in a better mood before the World Cup break begins.
Udders Match Thread on 22:12 - Nov 8 with 1704 viewsstainrods_elbow

Udders Match Thread on 22:09 - Nov 8 by Damo1962

Totally agree Ted. Too easy to blame others for our deficiencies. We will lose on Saturday, and that will be four defeats in five...and a goal-less draw. I too am sick of our annual implosions. I reckon MB will be off to the other Rangers if this carries on much longer. He surely can see now what he is up against with our club, and I wouldn't blame him for taking an easier gig.

Doesn't the manager have to carry at least some of the can? But I agree that many of these players are not good enough mentally, technically, physically or all three.

Udders Match Thread on 22:15 - Nov 8 with 1673 viewsconnell10

Udders Match Thread on 22:12 - Nov 8 by stainrods_elbow

Doesn't the manager have to carry at least some of the can? But I agree that many of these players are not good enough mentally, technically, physically or all three.

The manager has to take a lot of the blame!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Login to get fewer ads

Udders Match Thread on 22:15 - Nov 8 with 1658 viewsstainrods_elbow

Udders Match Thread on 22:11 - Nov 8 by Greenbay

MATCH ANALYSIS
QPR 1 Huddersfield 2
I wonder whether Mick Beale is thinking — perhaps I should have taken the Wolves job?
Probably not - but this match was an utter mess for our team — despite our huge possession.
You can’t blame bottom of the table Huddersfield for putting 10 men behind the ball in the second half when leading 2-1.
And you can't blame them for time-wasting - especially Thomas - when as we have all discussed the refs are so weak in the Championship.
Anyway we huffed and we puffed but we were allowed only long range shots from Willock, Richards, Chair and Adomah.
Surprisingly we are still in the play-off spots — 6th place on goal difference from Preston.
The World Cup break — after we play at Coventry on Saturday - can’t come soon enough.
Not just for the squad and everyone else associated with the club but for us — US fans.
To think we had a huge piece of luck when Ward, bearing down inside the penalty within 25 seconds of the start, should have scored but Seny blocked his shot.
Then just 65 seconds later Dykes hit his 27th goal for the club in his 100th appearance.
He tapped home a Willock cross from the left - Willock having combined smartly with Paal.
And so there I was and maybe you too — thinking we’re going to score 4 or 5 in this match.
But not to be.
And that’s what we have.
Before 10 minutes was completed Ruffels rifled home a close range shot after a header from the back post following a Thomas free-kick out wide.
Then midway through the half — after another free-kick — it was Ruffels again who lobbed Seny — off his line. A bit fortuitous but we again have to question Seny’s positioning.
So more disappointment.
Yes the team and the subs tried hard but we just don’t have the skill to succeed when we are battling up a hill.
However — back to being an optimist - victory at Coventry on Saturday will put us in a better mood before the World Cup break begins.

I think if you re-read your last two sentences, you might discern the crux of your own contradiction.

Udders Match Thread on 22:24 - Nov 8 with 1547 viewsDamo1962

Udders Match Thread on 22:12 - Nov 8 by stainrods_elbow

Of course like all managers MB has to take his share of the blame. I never really bought into all his pseudo football philosophy, it's about getting the basics right for me. But these performances have been a regular occurrence for years, under various managers...so the problem may lie elsewhere. I have had reservations about the type of players we buy for quite a while now. Congrats to Dykes on his goal and 100 games for us, but any club with ambitions to be amongst the top six needs better than we have upfront. We are too easy to beat now, because our attacking inabilities are rearing their head again like last season. Apart from the two full- backs, who has really improved the side?
Udders Match Thread on 22:25 - Nov 8 with 1543 viewsSteveB

A lot of pissed off people leaving LR on Saturday, as witnessed with my own eyes. Even more tonight according to my nephew.

Honeymoon period truly over now for Mick. What you got mate...? Not a lot of time sadly, if history repeats itself. Bad run = chop, Warbs will vouch for that one.

Seems daft to be even considering it. How fickle football can be.

That was a shit show tonight, let's not make excuses. Basic defending? Nope. Defending set pieces, get fcuked. Attack with pace and guile, Nope. Random pot shots from 30 yards in a busy penalty area, Oh yes. Deliver decent set plays ourselves, what's that?

Some of the much-lauded signings made pre-season seem to have re-lapsed considerably over the last few games. That is concerning.

In Mick we trust, for now at least. Onwards and upwards hopefully.
Udders Match Thread on 22:28 - Nov 8 with 1506 viewsDieByYourSide

Shite.

Nobody in that ground can genuinely have believed we were getting back into that.

Poll: And it's hi ho

Udders Match Thread on 22:29 - Nov 8 with 1486 viewsAntti_Heinola

Udders Match Thread on 21:52 - Nov 8 by AussieRs

Don't quite agree with London and Sinton. Huddersfield good value for the win. Lucky goal sure. But they should have been one up early on. And then, after our goal, the almost complete absence of goal threat from the Rs over the next 80 minutes or so. Richards shot about the only save their keeper had to make, along with one excellent defensive header from another Richards effort. Willock without influence, makes a big difference. And the more Chair tried, the less likely it looked. Quite remarkable. Defensive fragility from set pieces matched with toothless attack. Easily enough for Rs to lose to bottom team.

They were not, in any way, ‘good value for the win’.
We were the architects of our own downfall, for sure, but they were dire.

Bare bones.

Udders Match Thread on 22:29 - Nov 8 with 1477 viewsSydneyRs

Udders Match Thread on 22:09 - Nov 8 by Damo1962

You think we are intolerant of a few poor results? If he goes to Rangers he'll really find out what that is about.

Not a good itme to go there IMHO, just gone 7 points behind Celtic in the league and lost the last derby game 4-0. Poor, ageing team with so called star striker in the bad books. Just humiliated in Europe (worst Champs league group stage in history). Also a massively entitled fan base who sing about being the most successful club in world football in a world where a club has won the European cup 14 times and even their city rivals have won it once.

The one good year he had at Rangers was after Brendan Rodgers left Celtic for Leicester and they had an awful season under Neil Lennon. They are resurgent and very well coached now under Ange Postecoglu and can see them dominating for a few years. Rangers don't have much money to spend on new players either, not like the old days when they could attract the likes of Wilkins, Gazza, Butcher, Francis etc while the rest of the league was spending pennies.

Beale may well be wishing he took the Wolves offer though.

This world cup break can't come quickly enough. We really need to get everyone fit as we've not had a settled side yet this season. Still penty of time to turn it around but these last few results are massively frustrating as it was a real opportunity to cement a place near the top going into the break.
Udders Match Thread on 22:29 - Nov 8 with 1470 viewscolinallcars

As someone who has no intention of watching a single second of the World Cup, I'm mighty glad it's there to give MB a chance to sort it out. Sorry, “sor 'i' aht.
Udders Match Thread on 22:32 - Nov 8 with 1449 viewsVancouverHoop

Udders Match Thread on 22:15 - Nov 8 by connell10

The manager has to take a lot of the blame!

If so that makes three years in a row that two different managers have had an excellent half season, followed (or preceded) by a rubbish half season.

Managers aren't the problem. Squad depth is the problem. Once we get past our top thirteen or fourteen players we're relying on make-weights and kids. By the time we get to Christmas (or November this year) we're playing on a wish and a prayer. This season is a bit different, we've got a month now to get everyone healthy, and practice. The way we played tonight showed how little time there's been to work on training ground stuff. We weren't defending that badly a couple of months back, nor were we wasting scoring opportunities by the bucket-load at the other end. We need need a tune-up. I'm optimistic we'll see a better team come December.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2022 22:34]
Udders Match Thread on 22:33 - Nov 8 with 1437 viewsWestbourneR

All of this is a total over reaction.

We were much the better team and made more than enough chances to win the game.

The issue is the ball in our mixer - we're just shambolic at winning the big headers and clearing our lines.

That said -- their second was a complete fluke.

We've got a mid table squad with several key positions patched over with loans. We're doing better than we should be.

Any talk of Beale's position being in question is ridiculous, everybody should calm down.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Udders Match Thread on 22:34 - Nov 8 with 1435 viewsbosh67

Udders Match Thread on 22:25 - Nov 8 by SteveB

A lot of pissed off people leaving LR on Saturday, as witnessed with my own eyes. Even more tonight according to my nephew.

Honeymoon period truly over now for Mick. What you got mate...? Not a lot of time sadly, if history repeats itself. Bad run = chop, Warbs will vouch for that one.

That was a shit show tonight, let's not make excuses. Basic defending? Nope. Defending set pieces, get fcuked. Attack with pace and guile, Nope. Random pot shots from 30 yards in a busy penalty area, Oh yes. Deliver decent set plays ourselves, what's that?

Some of the much-lauded signings made pre-season seem to have re-lapsed considerably over the last few games. That is concerning.

It’s a bad patch with obvious problems. We have a big gap in the season to really try and shore that up. Any talk of Mick going the same way as Warbs is embarrassing. Some bad defeats but the three things here are 1. Be better at defending set plays period. 2. Understand lower teams play with nothing to lose here. 3. Mentality monster. We need to instil an absolute mentality to rise to the occasion each time.

I trust Mick with a break to solve this.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2022 22:35]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Udders Match Thread on 22:34 - Nov 8 with 1427 viewsQPRcounsellor

Udders Match Thread on 22:11 - Nov 8 by Greenbay

MATCH ANALYSIS
QPR 1 Huddersfield 2
But not to be.
And that’s what we have.
So more disappointment.

Can you really see us winning at Coventry? This one was a nailed on 3 points and we lost.
Udders Match Thread on 22:35 - Nov 8 with 1412 viewsDamo1962

Udders Match Thread on 22:29 - Nov 8 by Antti_Heinola

They were not, in any way, ‘good value for the win’.
We were the architects of our own downfall, for sure, but they were dire.

Think they were good value, from what I can gather. Had more clear chances than us, and of course scored two goals...we only scored one. We had three quarters of a match to at least get one goal, and failed miserably. That is the stark reality of the last two home games.
Udders Match Thread on 22:36 - Nov 8 with 1415 viewsdistortR

Udders Match Thread on 22:25 - Nov 8 by SteveB

Warburton was at Rangers for 3 years.
I would say, possibly Beale's biggest mistake, in hindsight, is getting Roberts in as one of our loans. Paucity of options up front, and we bring in a crock. but he might rip it up in a months time. It was all a bit desperate tonight, because they desperately wanted a result. We miss Jojo so much, on and off the ball. Yeah, he's got decisions to make. Going with a back 3 will give us more height and more width. But when everyone's fit, who do you drop to accommodate that?
[Post edited 8 Nov 2022 22:39]
Udders Match Thread on 22:36 - Nov 8 with 1411 viewsSouthend_Rss

Udders Match Thread on 21:55 - Nov 8 by Benny_the_Ball

Different day, same issues as last season. It's famine or feast.

They just can't handle struggling teams. Last season QPR lost 3 times to Peterborough. This season it's home defeats to Blackpool, West Brom and Huddersfield as well as a draw with Rotherham.

This team lacks composure and mental strength in adversity. In the second half, QPR did none of the things that got them to the summit only a few weeks ago. Gone are the incisive, overlapping runs and crosses drilled into the box from the bye-line. These have been replaced with pedestrian lateral passing and crosses lofted from deep. Corners are either overhit or miss the first man. Shots are being attempted from silly distances in front of a wall of defenders. As for set-plays, we can't defend them for our lives.

The World Cup can't come quick enough. Beale's got some serious work during the break.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2022 21:57]

This team lacks composure and mental strength in adversity. In the second half, QPR did none of the things that got them to the summit only a few weeks ago. Gone are the incisive, overlapping runs and crosses drilled into the box from the bye-line. These have been replaced with pedestrian lateral passing and crosses lofted from deep. Corners are either overhit or miss the first man. Shots are being attempted from silly distances in front of a wall of defenders. As for set-plays, we can't defend them for our lives.

This 100%
Udders Match Thread on 22:40 - Nov 8 with 1350 viewsstainrods_elbow

Udders Match Thread on 22:29 - Nov 8 by SydneyRs

You think we are intolerant of a few poor results? If he goes to Rangers he'll really find out what that is about.

Not a good itme to go there IMHO, just gone 7 points behind Celtic in the league and lost the last derby game 4-0. Poor, ageing team with so called star striker in the bad books. Just humiliated in Europe (worst Champs league group stage in history). Also a massively entitled fan base who sing about being the most successful club in world football in a world where a club has won the European cup 14 times and even their city rivals have won it once.

The one good year he had at Rangers was after Brendan Rodgers left Celtic for Leicester and they had an awful season under Neil Lennon. They are resurgent and very well coached now under Ange Postecoglu and can see them dominating for a few years. Rangers don't have much money to spend on new players either, not like the old days when they could attract the likes of Wilkins, Gazza, Butcher, Francis etc while the rest of the league was spending pennies.

Beale may well be wishing he took the Wolves offer though.

This world cup break can't come quickly enough. We really need to get everyone fit as we've not had a settled side yet this season. Still penty of time to turn it around but these last few results are massively frustrating as it was a real opportunity to cement a place near the top going into the break.

It's ridiculous, this 'woe is us' injuries narrative - that was pretty much a full-strength side out there tonight, bar Jojo. They couldn't do it vs West Brom and they couldn't do it against the League's whipping boys - who actually had a hell of a lot more injuries on the night. If Beale is as honest as he says, he'll hold his hands up on both counts.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2022 22:41]

Udders Match Thread on 22:43 - Nov 8 with 1331 viewsLblock

Udders Match Thread on 22:24 - Nov 8 by Damo1962

Of course like all managers MB has to take his share of the blame. I never really bought into all his pseudo football philosophy, it's about getting the basics right for me. But these performances have been a regular occurrence for years, under various managers...so the problem may lie elsewhere. I have had reservations about the type of players we buy for quite a while now. Congrats to Dykes on his goal and 100 games for us, but any club with ambitions to be amongst the top six needs better than we have upfront. We are too easy to beat now, because our attacking inabilities are rearing their head again like last season. Apart from the two full- backs, who has really improved the side?

I agree with this.

Whenever the transfer policy is questioned you get a “Willock”
Or a “our financial position” thrown at you.
It’s bollox.
Plenty of teams have shown how astute you can be at this level to sign proper winners, proper athletes and proper lads who won’t have this shite of a weak underbelly.
Our squad remains weak but entertaining in patches. Don’t ever expect anything from them and you’ll be fine

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Udders Match Thread on 22:45 - Nov 8 with 1309 viewsWadR

Udders Match Thread on 22:35 - Nov 8 by Damo1962

Think they were good value, from what I can gather. Had more clear chances than us, and of course scored two goals...we only scored one. We had three quarters of a match to at least get one goal, and failed miserably. That is the stark reality of the last two home games.

I'm immensely frustrated by that game and don't think we were good, but no way were they good value for the win.

The entire second half was played in their half. We had the two Richards chances, Dykes shanking it 8 yards out, Chair managing to hit his standing foot with a shot in the area. They had the chance in the first minute, their first goal and a complete fluke second.

Our set plays at both ends were what cost us tonight.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024