Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Laird in 21:55 - Aug 13 with 30732 viewsWatfordR

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-signing-sealed-and-key-duo-set-to-return
Laird in on 14:19 - Aug 16 with 2349 viewsDavieQPR

Plus you can't really call out people with a different opinion to you 'woke'. When you are doing the same as them.
Laird in on 14:39 - Aug 16 with 2234 viewsrobith

Laird in on 13:10 - Aug 16 by DejR_vu

I’m not referring to people with a different opinion. I’m referring to people who are so desperate to be offended that, for example, within 60 minutes of the final whistle of our first win of the season, are on here goading people who have the ‘nerve’ to hold a different opinion to them, accusing them of being disappointed that they won’t be able to post their pre-prepared negative posts. I’m referring to the sort of poster who, after the comeback at Sunderland, do the exact same thing. The very definition of woke. That’s what’s tiresome.

It very much is not the original definition of woke, but your posts have served the point that the word has become completely meaningless
Laird in on 15:18 - Aug 16 with 2170 viewsterryb

Laird in on 14:39 - Aug 16 by robith

It very much is not the original definition of woke, but your posts have served the point that the word has become completely meaningless

Am I the only one who has no idea what the original (or present) definition of woke is?

I'm certain I've been accused of being so, but without knowing what I'm guilty of, I've not a clue as to whether I should be annoyed or pleased!
Laird in on 15:26 - Aug 16 with 2136 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Laird in on 15:18 - Aug 16 by terryb

Am I the only one who has no idea what the original (or present) definition of woke is?

I'm certain I've been accused of being so, but without knowing what I'm guilty of, I've not a clue as to whether I should be annoyed or pleased!

It's like being a Wookie.
And they're really cuddly.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Laird in on 15:26 - Aug 16 with 2137 viewsMatch82

Laird in on 07:34 - Aug 16 by Antti_Heinola

The narrative that MW was sacked (semantics, but he wasn't sacked) because he didn't play young players is a very odd one based o a bit of hearsay leaking from the club. But let's be clear: if we had finished 6th, MW would still be our manager. He was sacked because our form fell off a cliff and had we played a full season like that we would have been relegated.

The rights and wrongs of the decision not t renew his contract can be debated, but the use of youth or not is irrelevant if you are successful: MW oversaw a truly dreadful run, and the owners lost patience. He certainly was not removed for not giving more game time to Hamaleinen or Bettache. The Board were extremely fair and gave him all the backing they could and in return he did a fine job for us, and would've continued to do so. To continue to peddle this theory that he was fired for not playing youth is a fallacy. It might have been an element, but that element only burns if you're not winning games.

I thought the narrative was that it was a factor, rather than the reason? 100% agree that it's all about results. If you're irreplaceable at work but start every day going up to your boss and calling him a dck, you're not going to get sacked while everything is going well. But once that performance drops you have far less goodwill.

Said differently if results had been identical but he'd been working in perfect synchrony with the board, my opinion is that he'd still be here. Sort of moot now though.
Laird in on 15:28 - Aug 16 with 2123 viewskensalriser

From the Oxford English Dictionary (2017 updates)

Woke

Woken is the usual past participle of the verb wake in modern English, but in some historical and contemporary varieties the past tense form woke is also used as a past participle. Participial use of woke in some African-American varieties of English has generated an adjectival meaning that has recently become prominent in general American use, prompting the addition of a new entry for woke as an adjective. The original meaning of adjectival woke (and earlier woke up) was simply ‘awake’, but by the mid-20th century, woke had been extended figuratively to refer to being ‘aware’ or ‘well informed’ in a political or cultural sense. In the past decade, that meaning has been catapulted into mainstream use with a particular nuance of ‘alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice’, popularized through the lyrics of the 2008 song Master Teacher by Erykah Badu, in which the words ‘I stay woke’ serve as a refrain, and more recently through its association with the Black Lives Matter movement, especially on social media.

This well established but newly prominent usage of woke has become emblematic of the ways in which black American culture and language are adopted by non-black people who don’t always appreciate their full historical and cultural context. It is therefore of particular interest that the earliest citation for woke, adj. in the figurative sense comes from a 1962 article by the African-American novelist William Melvin Kelley in the New York Times, entitled ‘If you’re woke, you dig it’, which describes how white beatniks were appropriating black slang at the time.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Laird in on 15:33 - Aug 16 with 2091 viewsterryb

Laird in on 15:28 - Aug 16 by kensalriser

Woke

Woken is the usual past participle of the verb wake in modern English, but in some historical and contemporary varieties the past tense form woke is also used as a past participle. Participial use of woke in some African-American varieties of English has generated an adjectival meaning that has recently become prominent in general American use, prompting the addition of a new entry for woke as an adjective. The original meaning of adjectival woke (and earlier woke up) was simply ‘awake’, but by the mid-20th century, woke had been extended figuratively to refer to being ‘aware’ or ‘well informed’ in a political or cultural sense. In the past decade, that meaning has been catapulted into mainstream use with a particular nuance of ‘alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice’, popularized through the lyrics of the 2008 song Master Teacher by Erykah Badu, in which the words ‘I stay woke’ serve as a refrain, and more recently through its association with the Black Lives Matter movement, especially on social media.

This well established but newly prominent usage of woke has become emblematic of the ways in which black American culture and language are adopted by non-black people who don’t always appreciate their full historical and cultural context. It is therefore of particular interest that the earliest citation for woke, adj. in the figurative sense comes from a 1962 article by the African-American novelist William Melvin Kelley in the New York Times, entitled ‘If you’re woke, you dig it’, which describes how white beatniks were appropriating black slang at the time.

Thank you kensalriser.

Although I'm not certain after reading this definition, it looks to me that I should be annoyed/amused & pleased if I'm addressed as "woke"!
Laird in on 15:44 - Aug 16 with 2024 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The term 'woke' was originally an African-American adjective to describe someone who is alert to injustice and discrimination in society, especially racism. Unfortunately, over time it's been adopted by the American Left as shorthand for broader awareness of identity politics, social justice and white privilege.

Such is it's broad appeal that it's even found its way on to a message board designed primarily for discussing all things QPR-related, including a thread discussing the latest loan signing.

Perhaps we ought to invent our own adjective for QPR matters. I propose 'Qwoke'.
Login to get fewer ads

Laird in on 15:45 - Aug 16 with 2023 viewsPhildo

Laird in on 15:44 - Aug 16 by Benny_the_Ball

The term 'woke' was originally an African-American adjective to describe someone who is alert to injustice and discrimination in society, especially racism. Unfortunately, over time it's been adopted by the American Left as shorthand for broader awareness of identity politics, social justice and white privilege.

Such is it's broad appeal that it's even found its way on to a message board designed primarily for discussing all things QPR-related, including a thread discussing the latest loan signing.

Perhaps we ought to invent our own adjective for QPR matters. I propose 'Qwoke'.

surely 'Broke' when it comes to QPR
Laird in on 15:55 - Aug 16 with 2001 viewsDejR_vu

Laird in on 15:28 - Aug 16 by kensalriser

Woke

Well, on that basis, I apologise for the incorrect use of the term. If someone could confirm the correct term for individuals so desperate to be offended, to the point where they look to dig individual posters out for things not yet said, I will be happy to amend the post.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Laird in on 16:00 - Aug 16 with 1973 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Laird in on 15:45 - Aug 16 by Phildo

On first glance I like it but the problem is the adjective is used to describe the person, not the club. So if, for example, Benny_the_ball is alert to all matters QPR (which BTW is debateable) then you would say 'Benny_the_ball is broke'.

Not sure that's going to work!
Laird in on 16:01 - Aug 16 with 1970 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Laird in on 15:55 - Aug 16 by DejR_vu

Well, on that basis, I apologise for the incorrect use of the term. If someone could confirm the correct term for individuals so desperate to be offended, to the point where they look to dig individual posters out for things not yet said, I will be happy to amend the post.

Poke???
Laird in on 16:13 - Aug 16 with 1927 viewsdmm

Laird in on 15:55 - Aug 16 by DejR_vu

I think the term you're probably searching for is 'snowflake'. But, like the term 'woke' and others, it's banded about as an insult on social media in particular and is never helpful in an exchange of views.

Let's just listen to and talk with each other. Then we'd all learn something.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 16:17]
(No subject) (n/t) on 16:41 - Aug 16 with 1862 viewsDejR_vu

Laird in on 16:13 - Aug 16 by dmm

I think the term you're probably searching for is 'snowflake'. But, like the term 'woke' and others, it's banded about as an insult on social media in particular and is never helpful in an exchange of views.

Let's just listen to and talk with each other. Then we'd all learn something.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 16:17]

Couldn’t agree more with your last paragraph. Sadly, that doesn’t appear to be possible on here.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 16:44]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Laird in on 16:45 - Aug 16 with 1828 viewsNorthernr

It's hard enough when the political threads go down this tiresome "I'll tell you what is woke..." bullsht line, let's please God for my sake not take a thread about a new fcking right back that way.
Laird in on 16:53 - Aug 16 with 1777 viewsdmm

Laird in on 16:45 - Aug 16 by Northernr

It's hard enough when the political threads go down this tiresome "I'll tell you what is woke..." bullsht line, let's please God for my sake not take a thread about a new fcking right back that way.

Sorry Clive. No more from me.
Laird in on 17:18 - Aug 16 with 1665 viewsrobith

Edit: posted before I saw Clive's post. Probably pointless imo
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 17:19]
Laird in on 17:30 - Aug 16 with 1612 viewsEastR

Laird in on 15:45 - Aug 16 by Phildo

Or after the results from Jan - Choke

Sorry Clive
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 17:34]

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Laird in on 17:30 - Aug 16 with 1612 viewsTonto

is that cancel culture?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: How was the transfer window for you?

Laird in on 17:33 - Aug 16 with 1584 viewsstainrods_elbow

Laird in on 10:08 - Aug 16 by francisbowles

'I wonder how Josh Bowler is feeling now he's turning out for Balckpool, after four years going nowhere at Everton'

RICHER!

and looking forward to being wealthier still with his next move.

Wow - if he's as cynical as you, good luck to him!

The guy made not a single appearance for Everton in 4 years at the club, and is now back in the Champ, facing . . . us. That's really what they mean by coming full circle, and not in a good way.

I hope he's rueing his/his agent's choices come 10pm tonight.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Laird in on 17:47 - Aug 16 with 1549 viewsLazyFan

Laird in on 07:53 - Aug 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

He did deliberately leave a space on the bench rather than take a youngster in a game once though didn’t he or did I imagine that?

Edit: Stoke (H) December 5th 2021
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 7:57]

At the time he said it wasn't a message to the board and I said it was, the board clearly thought so and did not renew him.

He could have easily sent the same message and taken someone Drew or another young'un, but no he did not.

I am okay with him sighing Wallace and Moses if Warns was developing the talent, if not then he should have used those wages for finding it. It now seems he did neither and Beale has to do a rebuild jobbie on the fullbacks. The board was right move Warbs on, the money ain't there for what Warbs wanted anyway.

zzzzzzzzzz

Laird in on 18:06 - Aug 16 with 1492 viewsfrancisbowles

Laird in on 17:33 - Aug 16 by stainrods_elbow

Wow - if he's as cynical as you, good luck to him!

The guy made not a single appearance for Everton in 4 years at the club, and is now back in the Champ, facing . . . us. That's really what they mean by coming full circle, and not in a good way.

I hope he's rueing his/his agent's choices come 10pm tonight.

I'm not cynical at all but as he turned down an offer to stay here, including trying to convince him his debut was part of his pathway to the first team, he was obviously more interested in the money.

Moving to Everton probably gave him a really good financial start in life.
Laird in on 18:19 - Aug 16 with 1447 viewsdistortR

well, someone described him as a right wing back, which was always going to cause problems in the current political climate.
Laird in on 11:19 - Aug 17 with 1218 viewsLoftgirl

Just be offended to be on the safe side.
Laird in on 12:45 - Aug 17 with 1153 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

It's actually a really noble one fermented in working class US communities for extrajudicial killings and lead filled water in the poorest places in America.

Now as Robith has said it's totally meaningless and certainly fck all to do with our Right Back.

Edit: Sorry I didn't see Norfs Rodney King post before writing this.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 12:48]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024