Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When did we stop being seen as a footballing club 22:21 - Jan 9 with 3920 viewscharmr

Reading the Terry Venables article got me thinking.

I followed that team home and away and saw some fantastic football, wolves and Norwich away were majestic. Funny then our away support wasn’t that great and is a lot better now, not exactly now, more modern times now.

We were always people’s favorite other team because we had a deserved or undeserved reputation as a playing good easy on the eye football. One touch, good combination play with creativity. Venables and Sexton were the only managers to this day I’ve witnessed who encouraged balls played to strikers encouraging a chest pass.

Was it when Holloway took over or Ricoh maybe Houston or Gerry playing it up to crouch or Devon White.

Now in the lower divisions there seems a lot more teams trying to play football and not lump it around the pitch.

I’m not sure when this started and what is a shame how hated weve become over the last decade or so.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 22:25]
When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 22:43 - Jan 9 with 3874 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I'm not sure we are hated as much as you think.

I come across sympathy more than hate.
When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 23:29 - Jan 9 with 3816 viewsqueensparker

I don't think we're hated that much now either by most decent fans, just another parable of how it can all go wrong.

We had a brief period where we came onto the radar of the modern day Twitter-bantsing, FIFA18 playing, Arsenal TV watching, Skybet believing, transfer deadline day loving, football started in 1992, never-been-to-an-actual-game phone-up-Robbie-Savage w-nker fans, who all sucked up the myth we were "big-spending QPR and all that is wrong with the modern game".

Thankfully we managed to f-ck that period up so completely we're a skint Championship club again, and we've we've settled back down to a plucky London club who everyone liked when we were good in the periods we had Rodney, Stan and Les.

Rediscovering our reputation for good football might take a bit longer...
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 23:31]
When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 23:37 - Jan 9 with 3796 viewsPunteR

I think the game for Grenfell showed a lot of people we're a good club.
I've slagged off TF loads on here recently but fair play to him for that one. A brilliant gesture by the club.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 23:41 - Jan 9 with 3789 viewsconnell10

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 23:37 - Jan 9 by PunteR

I think the game for Grenfell showed a lot of people we're a good club.
I've slagged off TF loads on here recently but fair play to him for that one. A brilliant gesture by the club.

More to with les I think than uncle.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 00:10 - Jan 10 with 3764 viewsPunteR

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 23:41 - Jan 9 by connell10

More to with les I think than uncle.

Tony could have said no i suppose. But your right , it was sir Les who got the ball rolling so to speak.

Talking of Ferdinand. Going back to the OP i think the day we sold Sir Les was the day our football wasnt the same. We've had a few flourishes , over the years, 10/11 season the highlight.
I guess once we get a settled side again we can start playing some better football.

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 07:12 - Jan 10 with 3626 viewsdavman

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 00:10 - Jan 10 by PunteR

Tony could have said no i suppose. But your right , it was sir Les who got the ball rolling so to speak.

Talking of Ferdinand. Going back to the OP i think the day we sold Sir Les was the day our football wasnt the same. We've had a few flourishes , over the years, 10/11 season the highlight.
I guess once we get a settled side again we can start playing some better football.

How about Kevin Gallen's injury at Portsmouth?

We started that first season after dropping from the Promised Land back in '95 flying and if that had resulted in us going back up, we would have had every chance of staying there for a good few years.

Not that Kev would have transformed us that season, but it felt like something changed after that game...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 10:15 - Jan 10 with 3510 viewsBrightonhoop

One thing we do really well is the Community side which, on Grenfell alone, we're now well regarded.

Meanwhile we're still $h1t at Football.
When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 10:23 - Jan 10 with 3493 viewsAntti_Heinola

Every club's fans think that their club is known for having a history of playing good passing football.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 10:37 - Jan 10 with 3463 viewsHerzog

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 10:23 - Jan 10 by Antti_Heinola

Every club's fans think that their club is known for having a history of playing good passing football.

apart from Wimbledon FC
When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 11:04 - Jan 10 with 3420 viewsTheChef

Well we reached our zenith in 92/93 when we finished 5th.

The following two seasons we finished 9th and 8th, still not too shabby.

Then we sold Les and Peacock, squandered the money on Hateley, Osborn, Zelic etc, and got relegated.

The world has moved on and we've never really recovered since then.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 11:22 - Jan 10 with 3389 viewsdaveB

We could be pretty direct under Francis the first time around even under Venables we weren't afraid to go long when needed. We've never been, apart from 75/76, a pure football side, i don't think anyone has
When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 12:32 - Jan 10 with 3323 viewskensalriser

We've never recovered from selling Les - that was the end of QPR punching above its weight.

I doubt we're hated, aside from a few bitter Bees. Most probably regard us with indifference.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 13:21 - Jan 10 with 3263 viewsTheChef

This made for some interesting reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Queens_Park_Rangers_F.C._seasons#Seasons

Heidar Helguson our top scorer when we returned to the Prem, whodathunkit?

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 19:27 - Jan 10 with 3117 viewsisawqpratwcity

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 13:21 - Jan 10 by TheChef

This made for some interesting reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Queens_Park_Rangers_F.C._seasons#Seasons

Heidar Helguson our top scorer when we returned to the Prem, whodathunkit?

What are you talking about? It was Taarabt, of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Queens_Park_Rangers_F.C._season#Go

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 20:21 - Jan 10 with 3065 viewssexton

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 11:22 - Jan 10 by daveB

We could be pretty direct under Francis the first time around even under Venables we weren't afraid to go long when needed. We've never been, apart from 75/76, a pure football side, i don't think anyone has

I started supporting us in 67 and having Rodney and then Stan in the side made us pretty synonymous with playing good football.

Early in the 73/74 season one of the tabloids (The Mirror?) ran an enthusiastic article describing us as The White Brazilians. (Things were different back then.)
When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 22:11 - Jan 10 with 2984 viewsBoston

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 20:21 - Jan 10 by sexton

I started supporting us in 67 and having Rodney and then Stan in the side made us pretty synonymous with playing good football.

Early in the 73/74 season one of the tabloids (The Mirror?) ran an enthusiastic article describing us as The White Brazilians. (Things were different back then.)

Wonder what white Brazilians think about that?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 02:49 - Jan 11 with 2907 viewscharmr

Being an impressionable teenager watching Bowles and co I really appreciate teams to this day playing with flair and creativity. I thought Venables was trying the same. Thought decanio and Sousa were thoughtful managers trying to play decent stuff. That 3-3 up at wolves under decanio was a marvelous game.

Find it tough to watch hoofball till this day.
When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 07:13 - Jan 11 with 2860 viewsPunteR

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 02:49 - Jan 11 by charmr

Being an impressionable teenager watching Bowles and co I really appreciate teams to this day playing with flair and creativity. I thought Venables was trying the same. Thought decanio and Sousa were thoughtful managers trying to play decent stuff. That 3-3 up at wolves under decanio was a marvelous game.

Find it tough to watch hoofball till this day.

Magilton got us playing worldy football for about a month.
Trouble is now we could play like brazil but while we're not in the prem you dont get the recognition so it all goes under the radar for most people.
Unfortunately when we hit the dizzy heights again we was crap, with a crap kit, throwing money about like confetti.
Even our own fans didnt really like us.
We need to build a good side again and have another go in the top league but do it properly this time.

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 07:55 - Jan 11 with 2824 viewsTheChef

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 19:27 - Jan 10 by isawqpratwcity

What are you talking about? It was Taarabt, of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Queens_Park_Rangers_F.C._season#Go

Sorry I meant to write in our first season back in the Prem.

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 08:30 - Jan 11 with 2806 viewsisawqpratwcity

When did we stop being seen as a footballing club on 07:55 - Jan 11 by TheChef

Sorry I meant to write in our first season back in the Prem.

Fair enough. It's a bastard when your top goal scorer goes from 19 goals down to two.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024