Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common 14:25 - Jan 27 with 20475 viewsRaymond

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/famous-institution-will-move-to-old-oak-co

The new plans will be seen as a blow to Queens Park Rangers’ ambitions to build a 40,000-seat stadium at Old Oak Common, although the Championship club is still being considered for other potential sites in the area.
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 13:46 - Feb 10 with 2285 viewsTGRRRSSS

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 07:02 - Jan 28 by PunteR

I think this is spot on and sums up my opinion.
We've got to stop wasting money on crap players(which it looks like we're doing now) and live within our means.
I also think we shouldn't be looking at a 40,000 seater when the time comes ,but a lovely,comfortable, 20-25,000 seater with room for expansion to 30,000 if we ever do become successful.
The training ground should be priority at the moment though.

20K is too small.

and little bigger than what we currently have 30K given our location is ample and allows us room to grow and develop rather than stay at 20K then be full up after 5 minutes
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:39 - Feb 10 with 2241 viewsMedwayR

I think some of you give Fernandes too much credit when you say that his only motive when buying us was to develop a new ground at OOC.

Firstly, he tried to buy Norwich City who have no scope for redeveloping the stadium and/or land, he then tried to buy West Ham which was never going to happen and similarly wouldn't have had much development potential as the Olympic Stadium deal and Upton Park sell-off was pretty much done. We were his third attempt at buying a football club.

Secondly, if his motive was property development wouldn't he have been far better off ploughing £250m into property development & purchasing land rather than funding a football club, particularly when a new stadium at OOC was mere speculation at the time, bit of a wild bet wouldn't you say.

Thirdly, he's happily thrown good money after bad at F1 and other enterprises without land/property being a factor. I believe he/Tune Group bought us solely to raise their profile and that OOC was a happy coincidence.

Fourthly, have you ever seen much evidence of Fernandes having a plan/strategy.

Yes, potentially we could've secured another site in the area, but the beauty of the OOC opportunity was the potential for developing other parts of OOC (which they club has actually already started doing) to fund the new stadium. The other sites didn't offer this or at least not on such a large scale. I believe the LCS has become a serious contender because they could get a stadium sooner rather than later and stop losing so much money by being at Loftus Road. They could then develop the landholdings that they have at OOC anyway and recoup money. Granted this could also have been done at the other locations but obviously hindsight and timing come into this, and OOC had other unique advantages that appealed to the club too.

The LCS could also be a way of putting pressure on the London Mayor etc to get a move on and make some decisions. Either back the clubs plans and crack on or put an end to the waiting around and we find an alternative.

Poll: Who’s better?

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:53 - Feb 10 with 2231 viewsDorse

We need to think outside the box here. We could get far more people in if we mount the pitch vertically.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:59 - Feb 10 with 2211 viewsFredManRave

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:53 - Feb 10 by Dorse

We need to think outside the box here. We could get far more people in if we mount the pitch vertically.

I was thinking something similar. Instead of all these digging down suggestions why don't we think out of the box, do something different and dig up.

"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds he'd have put grass up there".

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 15:00 - Feb 10 with 2207 viewsdanehoop

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 14:39 - Feb 10 by MedwayR

I think some of you give Fernandes too much credit when you say that his only motive when buying us was to develop a new ground at OOC.

Firstly, he tried to buy Norwich City who have no scope for redeveloping the stadium and/or land, he then tried to buy West Ham which was never going to happen and similarly wouldn't have had much development potential as the Olympic Stadium deal and Upton Park sell-off was pretty much done. We were his third attempt at buying a football club.

Secondly, if his motive was property development wouldn't he have been far better off ploughing £250m into property development & purchasing land rather than funding a football club, particularly when a new stadium at OOC was mere speculation at the time, bit of a wild bet wouldn't you say.

Thirdly, he's happily thrown good money after bad at F1 and other enterprises without land/property being a factor. I believe he/Tune Group bought us solely to raise their profile and that OOC was a happy coincidence.

Fourthly, have you ever seen much evidence of Fernandes having a plan/strategy.

Yes, potentially we could've secured another site in the area, but the beauty of the OOC opportunity was the potential for developing other parts of OOC (which they club has actually already started doing) to fund the new stadium. The other sites didn't offer this or at least not on such a large scale. I believe the LCS has become a serious contender because they could get a stadium sooner rather than later and stop losing so much money by being at Loftus Road. They could then develop the landholdings that they have at OOC anyway and recoup money. Granted this could also have been done at the other locations but obviously hindsight and timing come into this, and OOC had other unique advantages that appealed to the club too.

The LCS could also be a way of putting pressure on the London Mayor etc to get a move on and make some decisions. Either back the clubs plans and crack on or put an end to the waiting around and we find an alternative.

I think your last point on putting pressure on the London Mayor is an interesting one as ultimately he will have a big say in this. He statements recently are basically that the work on the whole project looks a mess and needs to be relooked at. That may go against what was previously said, and whilst not favouring Car Gigantor, they are effectively owned by a large property dealing company and are probably content to wait this one out, knowing that they can afford to do so, whereas as we probably can't.

Never knowingly understood

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 09:21 - Feb 11 with 2012 viewsJuzzie

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 09:28 - Feb 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I wish he had got the old white city stadium when it was a ruin.

IIRC Jim Gregory was offered it for £400,000 which to put in context was the same as our then record signing (Tony Currie I think).

It was still a lot of money for the day but the housing boom was a decade or two away. Growing up around Portobello Road/Ladbroke Grove in the 70's and 80's my memory of west London was that of scrap yards and undeveloped bomb sites, there just didn't seem that demand or need for land. Hillsbrough, Heysel etc were a long way off too and no one could have predicted all that happened since the opportunity came.

I'm gutted he didn't do it as it could have completely transformed things for us but can understand why.

Chris Wright not buying the land behind the school end is another matter as that was a no brainier for the price but he didn't do it.

[Post edited 11 Feb 2017 9:27]
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 09:23 - Feb 11 with 2001 viewsTGRRRSSS

Good point about Property Deals, in terms of TF investing 250m somewhere, land and property would have been a better bet than buying more or less any football club - let alone QPR.
Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 09:33 - Feb 11 with 1986 viewsJuzzie

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 09:23 - Feb 11 by TGRRRSSS

Good point about Property Deals, in terms of TF investing 250m somewhere, land and property would have been a better bet than buying more or less any football club - let alone QPR.

How to become a millionaire.......

Start off as a billionaire and buy a football club.
Login to get fewer ads

Blow to QPR - Old Oak Common on 09:34 - Feb 11 with 1985 viewsTGRRRSSS

Has anybody ever asked Wright about that failure to buy that land behind School End, he made many mistakes but that surely was one of his most glaringly stupid in terms of a no brainer you could get Wright. (pub intended.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024