Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clucking Hell!!! 07:32 - Apr 20 with 2779 viewsexiled_dictator

my neighbour has just put 2 chickens into her small courtyard adjacent to the back of our house. she says that they will provide her with fresh organic eggs, but so far, they have only provided us with an ongoing headache.

seriously, is there some kind of law that allows or prevents her from having chickens in kensington & chelsea that start their morning incredibly early? i am aware that other neighbours have mentioned it, but not aware if they are unhappy with the additional noise so early in the morning.

i don't want the birds killed, but we do want to keep the peace with the chickens and her.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Clucking Hell!!! on 07:35 - Apr 20 with 2772 viewsjohncharles

We have foxes that take care of that sort of thing.

Strong and stable my arse.

Clucking Hell!!! on 08:33 - Apr 20 with 2673 viewsWokingR

Just wait until they do actually start laying!
They don't half make a racket when squeezing out an egg.
Clucking Hell!!! on 08:49 - Apr 20 with 2637 viewsTheBlob

I find that dressing up as Colonel Sanders scares the chicken shit out of them.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Clucking Hell!!! on 09:38 - Apr 20 with 2565 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Don't fall fowl of the law......

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Clucking Hell!!! on 09:45 - Apr 20 with 2555 viewsBillionR

Check her property title with the land registry. You can download from their website. Most titles would have a restriction against this in a residential area.
Clucking Hell!!! on 10:04 - Apr 20 with 2511 viewswombat

Clucking Hell!!! on 09:45 - Apr 20 by BillionR

Check her property title with the land registry. You can download from their website. Most titles would have a restriction against this in a residential area.

chuck cloves of garlic into there pen , add the flavour for the inevitable day

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Clucking Hell!!! on 12:10 - Apr 20 with 2418 viewselnombre

Clucking Hell!!! on 07:35 - Apr 20 by johncharles

We have foxes that take care of that sort of thing.

My neighbour started with six rescue chickens, which quickly became four. Bought a further three, bringing the total up to, err, five by the end of the month.

I pointed out to him that while he thought he was keeping chickens, he was in fact keeping foxes...
Clucking Hell!!! on 13:19 - Apr 20 with 2323 viewsDorse

I live in North Dorset. On my neighbour's farm site, there is a beef herd and an Under Fives pre-School. I can promise you that the cows are as nothing compared to the sound of my daughter (Tantor) and her cohorts charging round the pre-School.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Login to get fewer ads

Clucking Hell!!! on 14:13 - Apr 20 with 2268 viewsAntti_Heinola

Clucking Hell!!! on 08:49 - Apr 20 by TheBlob

I find that dressing up as Colonel Sanders scares the chicken shit out of them.

no, that's just you, Blob.

Bare bones.

Clucking Hell!!! on 15:56 - Apr 20 with 2168 viewsBklynRanger

If she's just got the chickens then she may not know much about them and their chicken habits. So maybe there's a chance to give her a bit of friendly education that might help to keep the noise down a bit. I asked my chicken expert friend and she replied with this (below). Depending on the personality of this neighbour she might be prepared to try some of it out:

"Erm they're always going to be a bit noisy but they can try the following - don't keep cockerels. Even with only one, they constantly feel the need to protect their territory. Chickens feel threatened really easily - if they can see what they perceive to be a predator - cats, dogs, rats, birds of prey - they scream the place down so screening from these possibilities might help (and removing any vermin). Distraction through enrichment works well - if they've little to do, even the laying of an egg by another bird can result in the "hallelujah chorus" from all the birds so hang cabbage/lettuce up just high enough so they need to jump up to get it, roll pine cones in peanut butter/lard then seeds, give them mirrors (hilarious), put a bale of hay or grass cuttings in the pen for them to forage through, give them one of those dog toys they have to roll around to get the treat out. In short, they'll always be noisy to an extent but remove threats, intercourse and boredom. Buying neighbours' tolerance with eggs and stuff made from eggs sometimes works."
Clucking Hell!!! on 16:03 - Apr 20 with 2156 viewswombat

Clucking Hell!!! on 15:56 - Apr 20 by BklynRanger

If she's just got the chickens then she may not know much about them and their chicken habits. So maybe there's a chance to give her a bit of friendly education that might help to keep the noise down a bit. I asked my chicken expert friend and she replied with this (below). Depending on the personality of this neighbour she might be prepared to try some of it out:

"Erm they're always going to be a bit noisy but they can try the following - don't keep cockerels. Even with only one, they constantly feel the need to protect their territory. Chickens feel threatened really easily - if they can see what they perceive to be a predator - cats, dogs, rats, birds of prey - they scream the place down so screening from these possibilities might help (and removing any vermin). Distraction through enrichment works well - if they've little to do, even the laying of an egg by another bird can result in the "hallelujah chorus" from all the birds so hang cabbage/lettuce up just high enough so they need to jump up to get it, roll pine cones in peanut butter/lard then seeds, give them mirrors (hilarious), put a bale of hay or grass cuttings in the pen for them to forage through, give them one of those dog toys they have to roll around to get the treat out. In short, they'll always be noisy to an extent but remove threats, intercourse and boredom. Buying neighbours' tolerance with eggs and stuff made from eggs sometimes works."

think the shotgun methord works slightly better

Clucking Hell!!! on 16:28 - Apr 20 with 2141 viewsTheBlob

Clucking Hell!!! on 14:13 - Apr 20 by Antti_Heinola

no, that's just you, Blob.

That hurt Antti.
Well at least I get out on the odd occasion - better than being chained to a radiator in a Maidstonian hovel with an orange in the mouth.

Clucking Hell!!! on 16:43 - Apr 20 with 2119 viewsQPRMUSO

Be careful, Rats like it when chickens are nearby, our ex neighbour had a few chickens and the rats then decided they liked our shed to live under, the chickens then went and so did the rats. I hope you don't get this problem Exiled.
Clucking Hell!!! on 16:54 - Apr 20 with 2101 viewsAntti_Heinola

Clucking Hell!!! on 16:28 - Apr 20 by TheBlob

That hurt Antti.
Well at least I get out on the odd occasion - better than being chained to a radiator in a Maidstonian hovel with an orange in the mouth.

You said you liked that. I went to four shops to find you a clementine rather than a tangerine because that's what you wanted you ungrateful git.

Bare bones.

Clucking Hell!!! on 16:58 - Apr 20 with 2097 viewsTheBlob

Clucking Hell!!! on 16:54 - Apr 20 by Antti_Heinola

You said you liked that. I went to four shops to find you a clementine rather than a tangerine because that's what you wanted you ungrateful git.

Can't trust you to do anything right can I?
Stick to jerking your knees off - you're almost coherent at that.

Clucking Hell!!! on 14:33 - Apr 22 with 1774 viewsBrightonhoop

Subtle hints like leaving a jar of cranberry sauce on your shared wall can help, I had a neighbour with ducks and a jar of plum sauce did the trick......
Clucking Hell!!! on 15:22 - Apr 22 with 1731 viewswombat

Clucking Hell!!! on 14:33 - Apr 22 by Brightonhoop

Subtle hints like leaving a jar of cranberry sauce on your shared wall can help, I had a neighbour with ducks and a jar of plum sauce did the trick......

plum sauce kinky !!!

Clucking Hell!!! on 17:50 - Apr 22 with 1659 viewsexiled_dictator

BREAKING NEWS >>>>

my wife spoke with the neighbour today, and was told that the chickens 'have moved on'.
no further comment or information was available to confirm or deny whether tonight's special in the restaurant is a chicken dish or not.
peace & quiet has broken out in kensington.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Clucking Hell!!! on 21:25 - Apr 22 with 1579 viewsCanadaRanger

Clucking Hell!!! on 17:50 - Apr 22 by exiled_dictator

BREAKING NEWS >>>>

my wife spoke with the neighbour today, and was told that the chickens 'have moved on'.
no further comment or information was available to confirm or deny whether tonight's special in the restaurant is a chicken dish or not.
peace & quiet has broken out in kensington.

"Moved on" = Dinner?
Sounds of clucking after midnight might have them worrying about poultrygeists...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024