Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Game of Thrones 03:20 - Jun 4 with 18142 viewsKiwi76

Better than The Wire?

One episode to go in Series 3 and not looking to drop spoilers that was some penultimate...
Few on here watching judging by other thread - thoughts?
Game of Thrones on 13:28 - Aug 21 with 2501 viewspaulparker

To me its lot its edge , none of the main characters are getting bumped off , there isnt any edge or evil things happening and there is no humpty dumpty
all pretty dull imo

if people want a show to watch then Narco's on Netflix is superb , the guy who plays escobar is brilliant

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Game of Thrones on 13:38 - Aug 21 with 2481 viewsTacticalR

Game of Thrones on 13:28 - Aug 21 by paulparker

To me its lot its edge , none of the main characters are getting bumped off , there isnt any edge or evil things happening and there is no humpty dumpty
all pretty dull imo

if people want a show to watch then Narco's on Netflix is superb , the guy who plays escobar is brilliant

The Bring Back Ramsay Bolton campaign starts here.

Air hostess clique

Game of Thrones on 13:44 - Aug 21 with 2468 viewsEsox_Lucius

Game of Thrones on 08:45 - Jun 4 by WokingR

Shhh!

Don't give anything away.
Toboboly recommended the books last week on the "summer reads" thread and I haven't been able to put them down since.

When you get to the point of frustration waiting for George R.R. Martin to get off his lazy arse and release The Winds of Winter you'll probably have more than enough time to get stuck into Malazan, Book Of The Fallen by Steven Erikson & Ian Cameron Esslemont. IMO a far superior fantasy epic than Fire & Ice and has the added bonus of all the books in the series having been published.
P.S. I wrote the above whilst working my way through the thread and subsequently noticed other references to the books. Let's call my post an endorsement of their good taste in Sci Fi :-)
[Post edited 21 Aug 2017 14:00]

The grass is always greener.

Game of Thrones on 13:53 - Aug 21 with 2456 viewswhittocksRs

Nothing competes with the depth of storytelling in The Wire, but GOT is pretty fantastic, and easily the most spectacular show ever created. It's also a better political drama than 99% of political dramas.
Game of Thrones on 13:55 - Aug 21 with 2452 viewsFDC

Game of Thrones on 12:45 - Aug 21 by TacticalR

It does seem inordinately slow.

The only time I can remember that happening before was the interminable debate about the virtues of slavery and the governance of Meereen.

Maybe it's suffering from the lack of new characters and material as everything is tied off and tidied up on all the existing characters and plots?

I am still quite enjoying it though.

I wouldn't have said it's got slow -- quite the opposite in fact. It seems to me like they're rushing through things really quickly, to get characters into position for the grand finale. The break-neck speed has covered over a lot of problems up until now e.g. the 'teleport problem', whereby characters are all of a sudden able to hop from one part of the world to the other, moves which would have taken up a whole series previously, like Arya and the Hound moving around Westeros, Dany trekking across Essos etc.

Which is all fine, the enormous set pieces have been fun despite the nagging doubt that it's starting to not make any sense. But it's starting to get a bit OTT imo. I don't want to spoil Episode 6 for anyone, but there are some *major* teleport problems with it imo!
Game of Thrones on 14:03 - Aug 21 with 2430 viewsEsox_Lucius

For those who enjoyed the GoT and Malazan books, you might want to take a look at the Liveship Traders trilogy by Robin Hobb.

The grass is always greener.

Game of Thrones on 14:10 - Aug 21 with 2422 viewsToast_R

I think it's superb. It's nice to see it's coming to a conclusion unlike many of these big productions which keep on running and running as a cash cow until people get bored with it aka The Walking Dead.

Black Sails was great, 4 seasons of 10 episodes, set their stall out how it was going to be told and it was great from start to finish.
Game of Thrones on 14:20 - Aug 21 with 2405 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The Wire and Game of Thrones have two things in common; Aidan Gillen's terrible acting and Aidan Gillen's terrible accents.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Game of Thrones on 14:27 - Aug 21 with 2394 viewsFDC

Game of Thrones on 14:20 - Aug 21 by BrianMcCarthy

The Wire and Game of Thrones have two things in common; Aidan Gillen's terrible acting and Aidan Gillen's terrible accents.

Little Finger is a prime example of a character who, due to the decline in writing has gone from being enjoyably sinister to just plain annoying. The current story-line with him, Arya and Sansa is so annoying - why are previously savvy characters suddenly so susceptible to being manipulated by a character they know to be a wrongun?
Game of Thrones on 15:10 - Aug 21 with 2334 viewskomradkirk

I want a feckin dragon
Game of Thrones on 15:14 - Aug 21 with 2329 viewsFDC

Game of Thrones on 15:10 - Aug 21 by komradkirk

I want a feckin dragon

The battle scene the other week was kind of amazing. More epic scenes like at 1.08 and I can overlook all manner of logic-fails

[Post edited 21 Aug 2017 15:15]
Game of Thrones on 15:20 - Aug 21 with 2311 viewsTacticalR

Game of Thrones on 15:10 - Aug 21 by komradkirk

I want a feckin dragon

I don't think you're allowed to keep one if you live in a flat.

Air hostess clique

Game of Thrones on 15:29 - Aug 21 with 2286 viewskomradkirk

My wife owns a bit of land and there are lots of sheep about to feed it on.
Game of Thrones on 17:46 - Aug 21 with 2230 viewsTacticalR

Game of Thrones on 15:29 - Aug 21 by komradkirk

My wife owns a bit of land and there are lots of sheep about to feed it on.

Yes, they like sheep and small children.

Air hostess clique

Game of Thrones on 20:31 - Aug 21 with 2163 viewshubble

Late to this thread as relatively new to LFW - but a massive TV drama fan. In regard to GoT, this season feels like a trudge. The problem being we pretty much know what's going to happen, which we never did before. I'm sure there'll be a few twists, but you can really see the plot grinding through the gears now - it's clunky. And that means it's lost its edge - for me anyway. It's still fairly enjoyable, but there's no tension.

Seeing other series mentioned here - for me Breaking Bad is a masterpiece of the genre. The transformation of its main character Walter White from mild-mannered chemistry teacher to full blown megalomaniac is brilliant, as is the supporting cast.

just a word on some series I've been enjoying recently - Animal Kingdom - just finished its second season - I absolutely love. And I also really enjoyed the 5 seasons of Bates Motel - even though it starts a bit teenage - it's fantastic drama and the tension just ramps up and up. And Freddie Highmore who plays the young Norman Bates is superb.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Game of Thrones on 23:34 - Aug 21 with 2080 viewsFredManRave

Game of Thrones on 20:31 - Aug 21 by hubble

Late to this thread as relatively new to LFW - but a massive TV drama fan. In regard to GoT, this season feels like a trudge. The problem being we pretty much know what's going to happen, which we never did before. I'm sure there'll be a few twists, but you can really see the plot grinding through the gears now - it's clunky. And that means it's lost its edge - for me anyway. It's still fairly enjoyable, but there's no tension.

Seeing other series mentioned here - for me Breaking Bad is a masterpiece of the genre. The transformation of its main character Walter White from mild-mannered chemistry teacher to full blown megalomaniac is brilliant, as is the supporting cast.

just a word on some series I've been enjoying recently - Animal Kingdom - just finished its second season - I absolutely love. And I also really enjoyed the 5 seasons of Bates Motel - even though it starts a bit teenage - it's fantastic drama and the tension just ramps up and up. And Freddie Highmore who plays the young Norman Bates is superb.

Breaking Bad was utterly awesome. I watched the whole lot in 2 weeks whilst in bed recovering from an operation. Unfortuntately when not bedridden I have 0 time to watch tv series so haven't seen anything of GOT. The next post op viewing I envisage is Better Call Saul. Fantastic character in Breaking Bad and hopefully just as good in his own series.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Game of Thrones on 08:33 - Aug 22 with 2004 viewssimmo

Game of Thrones on 23:34 - Aug 21 by FredManRave

Breaking Bad was utterly awesome. I watched the whole lot in 2 weeks whilst in bed recovering from an operation. Unfortuntately when not bedridden I have 0 time to watch tv series so haven't seen anything of GOT. The next post op viewing I envisage is Better Call Saul. Fantastic character in Breaking Bad and hopefully just as good in his own series.

In the process of watching Better Call Saul now, part way through the second series after burning through the first. It's similar in some styles to Breaking Bad, but definitely has it's own way and Bob Odenkirk is absolutely brilliant.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Game of Thrones on 11:31 - Aug 22 with 1953 viewsrobith

Game of Thrones on 14:20 - Aug 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Have you seen Love/Hate Brian? Gillen can't do a Dublin accent despite being from Dublin
Game of Thrones on 11:34 - Aug 22 with 1947 viewsrobith

It's pretty captivating but now if you stop to think about it for a second it makes no sense - which is a problem for a fantasy story that had previously ground itself in subverting the genre norms.

I personally think they're smashing to the end as a favour to George to keep as much of his book powder dry as possible. Not that he'll ever finish them - he's full blown given up
Game of Thrones on 13:57 - Aug 22 with 1896 viewsLythamR

I think GOT is great fun, What have they been feeding the Dragons on they have become gigantic in just a couple of years

I just hope that whatever else happens they find some way for the Lord of Light to grow Theon a new Winkle

The only thing that could improve it for me would be to stumble across Little fingers matures speciality boudoir stocked with Stevie Nicks, Suzi Quatro and Sally James
Game of Thrones on 17:37 - Aug 22 with 1849 viewsMatch82

Game of Thrones on 11:34 - Aug 22 by robith

It's pretty captivating but now if you stop to think about it for a second it makes no sense - which is a problem for a fantasy story that had previously ground itself in subverting the genre norms.

I personally think they're smashing to the end as a favour to George to keep as much of his book powder dry as possible. Not that he'll ever finish them - he's full blown given up

I honestly think Martin has the same problem as the show which is why he hasn't finished. Bad guys up to now have had nuance and character. But that isn't the case for the white walkers, so the show (and books) have to revert to the traditional good vs evil battle which is harder to diversify from everything else out there
Game of Thrones on 19:15 - Aug 23 with 1752 viewsOllie23

Game of Thrones on 10:49 - Jun 4 by toboboly

Series One of the Wire was the best surely? McNulty and Bunk are godlike.

Check out Generation Kill as well if you like the Wire. Mini series about the Iraq war.

As good as, if not better than Band of Brothers. Incredible mini series
Game of Thrones on 19:23 - Aug 23 with 1740 viewsToast_R

Game of Thrones on 19:15 - Aug 23 by Ollie23

As good as, if not better than Band of Brothers. Incredible mini series

You think?

I it was okay but I found it fairly boring in most parts. A true reflection of modeen warfare I suppose.
Game of Thrones on 09:28 - Aug 24 with 1645 viewsrobith

Game of Thrones on 17:37 - Aug 22 by Match82

I honestly think Martin has the same problem as the show which is why he hasn't finished. Bad guys up to now have had nuance and character. But that isn't the case for the white walkers, so the show (and books) have to revert to the traditional good vs evil battle which is harder to diversify from everything else out there

There's an interesting theory amongst book readers called Heresy which is that the white walkers are good and it's the dragons that are bad. There have been several disasters in the world caused by fire getting out of control and the white walkers have returned to bring about balance between ice and fire - which fits a theme of a few other things (the faceless men were originally slaves of Valeriya who destroyed it because their fire madness had gotten out of control, the incident at Summerhall etc)

I know too much about these flipping books man
Game of Thrones on 09:41 - Aug 24 with 1639 viewsPhildo

Tyrion has got very boring since he stopped humping and drinking. There is a lesson there for all of us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024