Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong 07:46 - Sep 23 with 8707 viewsWokingR

Sitting on the overground Saturday morning on the way to the Millwall game. On comes a mid twenties lad wearing a very nice Guinness home top, we nod to each other and he sits opposite. He pulls out his phone, at which point even my wife spotted the problem.
His phone had a Chelsea case with a picture of Ngolo Kante!
Now, unless there was a Chelsea fan on the platform, crying that some big Qpr boy had taken his phone off him, I am struggling to understand how this can be?
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 08:58 - Sep 23 with 5371 viewsdaveB

A lot of fans from Prem clubs are now going to lower league games as it's cheaper, better atmosphere etc. 3 Chelsea fans I work with are all season ticket holders at Bromley now as they got fed up with the premier league experience
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 09:26 - Sep 23 with 5281 viewsTheChef

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 08:58 - Sep 23 by daveB

A lot of fans from Prem clubs are now going to lower league games as it's cheaper, better atmosphere etc. 3 Chelsea fans I work with are all season ticket holders at Bromley now as they got fed up with the premier league experience

Well that's one thing Dave, but someone in a QPR shirt with Chelscum paraphernalia is something else entirely.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 10:12 - Sep 23 with 5148 viewsdaveB

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 09:26 - Sep 23 by TheChef

Well that's one thing Dave, but someone in a QPR shirt with Chelscum paraphernalia is something else entirely.

Oh yeah that is just bizarre
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 10:24 - Sep 23 with 5070 viewsswitchingcode

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 08:58 - Sep 23 by daveB

I will be doing the same over the coming years nothing to do with costs as my season ticket is very reasonable it’s just becoming predictable boring day out.
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 10:31 - Sep 23 with 5028 viewsTheChef

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 10:24 - Sep 23 by switchingcode

I will be doing the same over the coming years nothing to do with costs as my season ticket is very reasonable it’s just becoming predictable boring day out.

Just come back to the Championship, much more enjoyable.

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 10:46 - Sep 23 with 4955 viewsKonk

Not sure if I could do non-league every week, but I really enjoy it when I go to games with my dad. Very little diving, players generally just get up after a hefty challenge, there's usually 1 or 2 players who stand out etc. You know that your attendance is valued, you're not surrounded by tourists (except the odd groundhoppers) and if you and your group have enough pints/pies, you've probably paid the right-back's salary that week. You don't come away feeling exploited and the game hasn't been scheduled for 4am on a Monday morning. Lots to like. Seem to be more teenagers and blokes in their twenties at non-league games these days.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 10:48 - Sep 23 with 4942 viewsJuzzie

I live in Brentford 'territory' and a lot of the kids & parents in my sons youth team are all ST holders or regular goers but they too are now showing signs of PL fatigue. Whereas they had gone to all the big away games too they just don't anymore.
"Been there, done that, got the tshirt.... and a few hundred quid worse off each time" especially now as they're coming away with a defeat whereas before they actually got something out of the game.
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 11:10 - Sep 23 with 4836 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

The National League South average attendance in 2012/13 was 487. In 2023/24 it was 1,205, having gradually grown to that level with an obvious downturn for COVID.

Looking at Farnborough Town (as an example), their average attendance has gone from 485 to 852 over the same period in the same division.

Given FL and PL attendances aren't down (I don't think?) it feels like either more seats are being filled by tourists and corporations at the top of the game and the average paying punter is going to non league clubs instead. Either that or far fewer games are on at Saturday at 3 o'clock so people are doing both more often.
Login to get fewer ads

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 11:27 - Sep 23 with 4742 viewsthemodfather

MODERN FOOTBALL is a corporate nightmare. how many prem clubs are virtually state owned by Arab owners? or fronts for big USA companies?
fans get flleeced for endless shirts, ticket prices, rarely games at traditional 3pm ( for chinese gambling ??) all dressed up as an "EVENT" , yep football is a matchday event experience .
somehow every game is sold out, but many are tourist "fans" who want to see as many games as they can whilst here. imagine going to a real madrid game in a barca top!

as much as i hate man utd, their fans walked away to form "united fc"? or got behind salford . many Arsenal go to orient, as said above, can get in, cheaper . i once came back from Fulham away and was on a tube full of young lads with fulham and arsenal pin badges?? i asked what's that about? " we are "Fulham gooners! bloody work that out.
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 11:33 - Sep 23 with 4712 viewsswitchingcode

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 10:31 - Sep 23 by TheChef

Just come back to the Championship, much more enjoyable.

That would be good by me trouble is the promoted teams these days nearly always go down due to the widening gap.Teams like Brentford Bournmouth ect just need to win 10games and draw a couple and they stay up.Every normal club need to go up for a season visit all these massive grounds like spurs (where I was Saturday ) then go back to the EFL and realise the so called best league in the world is a myth.Apart from Fulham there is no London club I feel any rivalry with in the PL would have loved to have been going to Loftus Road Saturday than Tottenham stadium to watch my team ( not a 12 o’clock KO though)
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 11:37 - Sep 23 with 4662 viewsstevec

No offence, but I suspect you won’t need to switch allegiances to fulfil that desire.
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 11:38 - Sep 23 with 4678 viewsjoe90

The typical modern football fan - constant crisis, ‘hot takes’ and limbs. In answer to the question what went wrong - social media.

Absolutely nothing appealing about modern football in the top flight and nothing appealing about the fan experience. Anyway, the people on this forum aren’t the target audience and we thankfully support an unfashionable club.

There are other types of modern football fans, those that have more sophisticated tastes and interests. There are forums and magazines that cater for those people and this place is a great example of that - it’s sits perfectly between the blizzard, WSC and Mundial.
[Post edited 23 Sep 11:39]
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 11:39 - Sep 23 with 4671 viewsHayesender

I've noticed at spurs sparkling new north London rose bowl, entire blocks now seem to be occupied by Koreans, purely to see Son.

The funny thing is, if Son moved to Arsenal in the summer, they'd all up sticks and move across north London

Poll: Shamima Beghum

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 11:42 - Sep 23 with 4646 viewsBluce_Ree

A combined Chelsea/QPR fan is AN ABOMINATION IN THE EYES OF GOD.

Whatever part of the lad that is a QPR fan is tainted by the part of him that Chelsea case on his phone. It's like having a pizza, everyone loves pizza, but then instead of meatballs you put on dollops of shit or, worse, ACTUAL BEETROOT.

Like fair enough if he's a Chelsea fan and just wants to slum it watching low-level Championship football, then fine. Whatever. But wearing our top on his filthy Chelsea supporting body? That's an actual HATE CRIME.

Also, you said he was in his mid-twenties but he's got a football-related phone case for some reason. So he might be ten.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 11:49 - Sep 23 with 4586 viewsstevec

If the EFL were granted European qualification as an alternative to promotion to the Premier League I think I’d happily take that.

Top two a place in Champions League, third in the Europa Cup. Would transform the financial situation without the trauma of trying to finish 17th and spending bucket loads of money in the process.
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 11:52 - Sep 23 with 4597 viewsNorthernr

Still remember some twt in The Green after a midweek game one night asking "who's your Premier League team?". Couldn't get his head round QPR being our team and fck everybody else.
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 12:32 - Sep 23 with 4374 viewsswitchingcode

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 11:37 - Sep 23 by stevec

No offence, but I suspect you won’t need to switch allegiances to fulfil that desire.

Doubt if even when it all goes south we will be playing in the nation league south in my life time
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 12:35 - Sep 23 with 4352 viewsBluce_Ree

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 11:52 - Sep 23 by Northernr

Still remember some twt in The Green after a midweek game one night asking "who's your Premier League team?". Couldn't get his head round QPR being our team and fck everybody else.

My Premier League team is F**K ALL PREMIER LEAGUE TEAMS.

I hate big teams, medium teams, small teams, non-league teams and miscellaneous in case I missed anyone.

My hatred of Liverpool started when a taxi driver up here said 'QPR? Why do you support them when they'll never win anything?'

Like he absolutely couldn't process it. Them not winning anything is what it is to be a football fan for the majority of us.

There are two states of being for football fans. Your team either wins fk all or you're a c0cksucker. And that's that.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 13:31 - Sep 23 with 4147 viewsHayesender

There's a bloke in my local social club who has two season tickets at Brighton. On that thought, what with Brighton being the nearest team, I just assumed he was a Brighton fan.

He was in there one evening last season when Brighton were at home to Man City. Casually mentioned in conversation about him not being at the game.

"Oh" he said, "my son doesn't wanna go because Haaland isn't playing".

Turns out he's a Man utd fan, and his son is a Liverpool fan, and he only has the season tickets so they can see "the stars".

Very odd behaviour for an actual grown man imo

Poll: Shamima Beghum

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 13:46 - Sep 23 with 4106 viewsstowmarketrange

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 11:42 - Sep 23 by Bluce_Ree

A combined Chelsea/QPR fan is AN ABOMINATION IN THE EYES OF GOD.

Whatever part of the lad that is a QPR fan is tainted by the part of him that Chelsea case on his phone. It's like having a pizza, everyone loves pizza, but then instead of meatballs you put on dollops of shit or, worse, ACTUAL BEETROOT.

Like fair enough if he's a Chelsea fan and just wants to slum it watching low-level Championship football, then fine. Whatever. But wearing our top on his filthy Chelsea supporting body? That's an actual HATE CRIME.

Also, you said he was in his mid-twenties but he's got a football-related phone case for some reason. So he might be ten.

Or pineapple.
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 13:49 - Sep 23 with 4077 viewsTheChef

Couldn't make the 12.30 kick off.

Took our youngest to Wingate v Chichester City; could sit/stand wherever you like, good football, Wingate with a last minute equaliser. Lovely stuff.

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 14:11 - Sep 23 with 3983 viewsDannyPaddox

Have to confess I have a Premier League team. It’s whoever Ch*ls** are playing.
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 14:24 - Sep 23 with 3929 viewsloftboy

There was a posh sounding Chelsea fan stood directly behind me Saturday, had obviously been brought along by his equally posh sounding Rangers mate, kept updating each other on Nicholas Jackson.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 14:25 - Sep 23 with 3927 viewsMalintabuk

After our Friday Luton win, I went to see the Gills play. Where I work in Gillingham we get free tickets... and a few of the lads are Gills fans
Decent game against Chesterfield sending of each and a bit of niggle in the game and a 1-0 Gills win... but just couldn't get into it.
Wasn't..... us and therefore all a bit mheh..... OK... Next
The Modern Football Fan - What went wrong on 15:09 - Sep 23 with 3741 viewsPhildo

I know some Chelsea fans who are st holders at Palace - purely on price.

A lot of top division attendees are there for the prem circus- it is alien to our type of fan but very much a reality.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024