Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley 08:53 - Aug 4 with 1428 viewsSaintEPW

Interesting article on fate of some clubs sitting between Championship and Premier League.
Tough challenge for Owners to navigate

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/article/2024/aug/03/scott-parker-suffe
Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 09:14 - Aug 4 with 1358 viewsPatfromPoole

We all know that we are going to get battered a fair few times this season.

It's just how it is.

Even in an ultimately successful season, we lost 5-0 twice last season.

It's just that in the games this season in which we can compete, we need to win 9 or 10 of them and sneak a few draws to stay up.

If and when we get battered at Newcastle, we all as a fanbase have to then ensure we are up for it against Forest so that we can help the team to win that game.

Our home form will be key this season.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 09:38 - Aug 4 with 1308 viewsRon11

'The manager, realising his attempts to play out from the back are leading to possession being squandered in dangerous areas'.
Where have we seen that before?
Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 10:05 - Aug 4 with 1257 viewsBerber

That is a dismal read. Scott Parker is, sadly, a dour, second rate manager, who appears to muster little enthusiasm from his squad. I suppose we should count ourselves lucky then.
Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 10:06 - Aug 4 with 1253 viewsA1079

The pure joy and pleasure of that day at Wembley is now very much diluted by the realisation that this next season is likely to be one long hard slog.
Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 10:31 - Aug 4 with 1209 viewsPatfromPoole

Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 10:06 - Aug 4 by A1079

The pure joy and pleasure of that day at Wembley is now very much diluted by the realisation that this next season is likely to be one long hard slog.

I would still far rather be in our position than Leeds.

We just have to stay up, and then build from there.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 10:43 - Aug 4 with 1189 viewsButty101

Had we spent our money wisely we might have had a chance. Strengthing our sister clubs with players that won’t make the grade is pointless.
Go and get Jack Butland and a jimmy case terry hurlock in the middle and we might just stay up

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 11:05 - Aug 4 with 1141 viewsChesham_Saint

Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 10:06 - Aug 4 by A1079

I only wish I had faith in our manager, but I have absolutely none.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 11:10 - Aug 4 with 1137 viewsIfonly

Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 09:38 - Aug 4 by Ron11

'The manager, realising his attempts to play out from the back are leading to possession being squandered in dangerous areas'.
Where have we seen that before?

Yes, as the article hints, if you try and play tippy tappy with players who aren't up to it then you are asking for trouble. This is why it's the wrong strategy for a club like us, as Burnley found out last season. We can't afford those top level players - and goalkeepers!

That's why I've never been convinced that RM is the right long term choice for Saints. But, he's earned his right to have a go and if he succeeds then he'll have done very well.
Login to get fewer ads

Will Saints become a yo-yo club like Burnley on 11:11 - Aug 4 with 1131 viewsdirk_doone

Until their current owners took over, the classic yo-yo club was Man City, not Burnley.

Man City have been relegated 11 times from the top fier and also promoted to it 11 times as they started in Division 2.

Burnley have been relegated from the top tier 8 times and also promoted to it 8 times.

Being a yo-yo club is not necessarily a bad thing as it often leads to winning trophies, and all of the yo-yo clubs have won more than we have. Leicester's recent dominance of the yo-yo club club has resulted in the biggest haul of trophies in their history.
[Post edited 4 Aug 11:40]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 17:12 - Aug 4 with 842 viewsMonksway

Agree. For the vast bulk of my lifetime I've supported "struggling Southampton" in the old first division and the Premier League. As a result I've celebrated fewer wins than those supporters of the so called yo to clubs. I understand why owners, players, managers and staff are desperate to be in the premier league but I far more enjoy us being competitive and winning games in the championship than the misery of being cannnon fodder in the prem.
Will Saints become a yo-yo club like Burnley on 07:45 - Aug 5 with 617 viewsSaintEPW

Will Saints become a yo-yo club like Burnley on 11:11 - Aug 4 by dirk_doone

Until their current owners took over, the classic yo-yo club was Man City, not Burnley.

Man City have been relegated 11 times from the top fier and also promoted to it 11 times as they started in Division 2.

Burnley have been relegated from the top tier 8 times and also promoted to it 8 times.

Being a yo-yo club is not necessarily a bad thing as it often leads to winning trophies, and all of the yo-yo clubs have won more than we have. Leicester's recent dominance of the yo-yo club club has resulted in the biggest haul of trophies in their history.
[Post edited 4 Aug 11:40]

Remarkable stats
Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 08:15 - Aug 5 with 582 viewsBerber

On the other hand, we got promotion by the skin of our teeth, and could easily not have. That might have led to the type of outcomes seen by Sunderland, Wigan, Pompey and many more.Leedas have sold most of their best players, again. Whilst the press write them up as top promotion contenders, I’ll be surprised if they are. Watch this space, it could have so easily been us.

Yo-yo status is a dream for underfunded clubs.
Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 12:32 - Aug 5 with 490 viewsfranniesTache

I might be on my own here but i quite like the idea of being a yo yo club. The premier league is a fixed entity that's entirely broken and ruined by money, but we also need to tap into that doping to stay afloat as a club.

Saying that going up for a few seasons then dropping to championship to actually have enjoyable football again would be class, it would keep the club solvent and also give us the enjoyment of a proper competitive league.

The problem is that if you go down you have to go back up
Will Saints become a YoYo Club like Burnley on 12:58 - Aug 5 with 479 viewsCapt_Koons

I think there is every chance we'll become a yo,yo club. And to be honest with you, that may be no bad thing. At least every other year we can win something.

Poll: If our new manager is a success, which club will he be managing in 2 years time?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024