Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Mayall RIP 06:30 - Jul 24 with 2676 viewsdmm

Sad to read that John Mayall has died, aged 90. An iconic figure of the British blues scene. This was one of the earliest albums I listened to.

John Mayall RIP on 06:43 - Jul 24 with 2606 viewsderbyhoop

RIP John.

Gave a hone to many great blues guitarists, incl Clapton, Beck and Page.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

John Mayall RIP on 07:22 - Jul 24 with 2548 viewscolinallcars

RIP. I used to see the Bluesbreakers on a regular basis at various venues during the blues boom.
John Mayall RIP on 09:56 - Jul 24 with 2361 views222gers

He had an incredibly loyal fan base. I would sometimes see him two or three times a week as the venues were all easy to reach from West London - Marquee, Toby Jug, Eel Pie, Klook's Kleek etc.
Reckon there'll be a good full page obit in the Times who are v good at these things.
This was a good 'un.

[Post edited 24 Jul 10:07]
John Mayall RIP on 10:04 - Jul 24 with 2346 viewsSonofpugwash

Damn.
Saw John so many times with Eric Clapton,Peter Green etc at some very famous venues like the Toby Jug,Tolworth,Manor House and obscure places like The Iron Curtain Club,St.Mary Cray,Orpington.We won't see the like of him again.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

John Mayall RIP on 13:03 - Jul 24 with 2199 viewsguitarzan

My first ever gig was John Mayall in 1972
John Mayall RIP on 13:57 - Jul 24 with 2120 viewsSonofpugwash

Probably the best lineup with Walter Trout and Coco Montoya.Certainly my favourite.

John Mayall RIP on 14:35 - Jul 24 with 2068 viewsjohncharles

If the house was on fire and you only had time to grab one thing it would be the John Mayall Beano album

Strong and stable my arse.

John Mayall RIP on 14:51 - Jul 24 with 2025 views222gers

John Mayall RIP on 14:35 - Jul 24 by johncharles

If the house was on fire and you only had time to grab one thing it would be the John Mayall Beano album

I can still remember, even after all these long years, the comment in the Melody Maker.
“British musicians have never sounded like this in the studio - the album is a credit to John and his band”
Certainly I'd never heard anything like it.
Login to get fewer ads

John Mayall RIP on 14:52 - Jul 24 with 2022 viewsSonofpugwash

Worth a bit now.

John Mayall RIP on 15:15 - Jul 24 with 1939 viewscolinallcars

When I first heard this it was like an epiphony as my vicar would say.
I'd heard Clapton with the Yardbirds but it was not in this league.
And the brass augmentations with good old Dick Getsall-Pissed. Sorry Dick Heckstall-Smith.
John Mayall RIP on 21:44 - Jul 24 with 1526 viewscolinallcars

John Mayall obit will be in tomorrow's Times entitled The Tireless Father Of British Blues.
It'll be worth the cover price, so buy it !
I'm going to put it into a scrap book.
John Mayall RIP on 21:50 - Jul 24 with 1522 views222gers

John Mayall RIP on 21:44 - Jul 24 by colinallcars

John Mayall obit will be in tomorrow's Times entitled The Tireless Father Of British Blues.

It's a bit creepy, but a friend of mine years back who was a journalist said that when a famous person gets v old, papers assemble obits ready for when the famous person passes on.
I guess Clive would know.
John Mayall RIP on 22:01 - Jul 24 with 1508 views222gers

John Mayall RIP on 14:52 - Jul 24 by Sonofpugwash

Worth a bit now.

I always hoped there would be a remix or remaster of the Beano album.
I always found Decca pop/rock/blues albums sort of hollow sounding. But jazz and classical fine.
John Mayall RIP on 23:23 - Jul 24 with 1456 viewsted_hendrix

John Mayall RIP on 21:44 - Jul 24 by colinallcars

**John Mayall obit will be in tomorrow's Times entitled The Tireless Father Of British Blues.**

Jim Marshall was known as ''The Father Of Loud''

This Island of ours turned out some musical legends make no bones about that.

RIP John Mayall.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

John Mayall RIP on 01:20 - Jul 25 with 1386 viewsBoston

Spot on re Decca.
[Post edited 25 Jul 1:21]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

John Mayall RIP on 09:40 - Jul 25 with 1233 viewsRodney

The obituary is in The Times today and it's a fitting tribute. You'll need a subscription to read it and it's too long to copy and paste here. Worth the cover price on its own, though. The length of that obituary says it all.

I was late to the John Mayall fan club and it was "Blues From Laurel Canyon" (The Bear... Walking on Sunset... etc) that hooked me. I saw him just a few years back live in a memorable concert at the Hexagon in Reading. He would have been in his eighties and he was still awesome.

A sad loss but a life well-lived.
John Mayall RIP on 14:45 - Jul 25 with 1102 viewswillesdenr

Very sad and another part of my youth gone. Went regularly to the Flamingo all nighters mid 60s to see John Mayall, first with Clapton and later with Peter Green, not forgetting John McVie. Zoot Money and Georgie Fame were also regulars at the Flamingo. Went to Klooks Kleek the night Mayall was recording, cables hanging out the upstairs windows to the recording studios round the corner. Gawd I miss those days.
John Mayall RIP on 16:14 - Jul 25 with 1030 views222gers

John Mayall RIP on 14:45 - Jul 25 by willesdenr

Very sad and another part of my youth gone. Went regularly to the Flamingo all nighters mid 60s to see John Mayall, first with Clapton and later with Peter Green, not forgetting John McVie. Zoot Money and Georgie Fame were also regulars at the Flamingo. Went to Klooks Kleek the night Mayall was recording, cables hanging out the upstairs windows to the recording studios round the corner. Gawd I miss those days.

I have that live album - I love Life Is Just A Slow Train Crawlin' Up A Hill.
I heard another version by an unknown female many years later, it was awful.
John Mayall RIP on 17:40 - Jul 25 with 977 viewswillesdenr

John Mayall RIP on 16:14 - Jul 25 by 222gers

Until today I'd forgot all about the session and it only sprung into mind when writing the post. I've just managed to buy the last copy of a cd version of the live Klooks Kleek album on Amazon. The LP was nearly £600? I already have the Beano and Bare Wires LPs and the CD of A Hard Road.
John Mayall RIP on 20:24 - Jul 25 with 912 viewsSonofpugwash

John Mayall RIP on 16:14 - Jul 25 by 222gers

Still have mine.John said guitarist Roger Dean didn't have a clue.
Would go along with that.

John Mayall RIP on 22:16 - Jul 25 with 867 viewscolinallcars

John Mayall RIP on 20:24 - Jul 25 by Sonofpugwash

Still have mine.John said guitarist Roger Dean didn't have a clue.
Would go along with that.

Sadly, Roger wasn't in the same league as the illustrious gittar players that followed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024