Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thomas next ? 19:20 - Jan 4 with 7262 viewspaulhoop2

Got to seriously think about letting him go next surely ?

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Thomas next ? on 18:37 - Jan 5 with 2077 viewsPinnerPaul

Thomas next ? on 15:39 - Jan 5 by paulhoop2

I wonder if I mentioned Les instead of Belk you all would have agreed lol seems like some are untouchable. Belk heads up recruitment and there are more misses then hits really

Like any other club as I said.

Did you see that programme on the Crystal Place academy? - HUGE set up and investment and even Simon Jordan admitted that was no guarantee they would find even 1 player who would make it in the PL.
Thomas next ? on 18:47 - Jan 5 with 2037 viewsLblock

Thomas next ? on 16:55 - Jan 5 by OldPedro

But what do you do if you can only afford to take a risk on the car that's been repaired and at a knockdown price.....??

Simple

Use the hire cars until you can afford one or strike a deal with the car hired to hire first and maybe purchase if certain travel stipulations met.

If you buy a pig don’t expect it to be a stallion

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Thomas next ? on 19:08 - Jan 5 with 1980 viewsQPR_Jim

I don't think he came to us with injury issues, he just didn't break through at Leicester and was released. He's not played a lot for us and he's had a couple of minor injuries but he's been available quite a lot, just not used I think.
Thomas next ? on 05:40 - Jan 6 with 1645 viewsPlanetHonneywood

What I'd like to know is what QPR saw in Thomas in the first place that made them think: despite our meagre resources, he's worth a punt?

I know he puts a shift in, so does a pit pony, but it doesn't mean I have to back him in the Derby. I'm a tad bored with the 'we haven't any money' explanation being trotted out for our failed attacking acquisitions. We have to be careful this doesn't become a justification for poor recruitment, especially as the same financial restrictions apply to the majority of clubs we're up against.

I accept we can't buy the finished or near finished article; thats a given. However, we have spent several millions on Washington, Bonne and Dykes and what ever system we are using to identify and buy attackers clearly isnt working.

We were not able to match Brentford for an Ivan Toney, but we should also be looking at why we're not finding or developing an Ivan Toney at the stage Peterborough seem able to do.

We have of course made some good acquisitions. But when it comes to strikers, we are as poor at finding them as those chosen are at finishing.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Thomas next ? on 11:29 - Jan 6 with 1511 viewspaulhoop2

Hi Pinner

Yes great docu that and strange really as always thought palace were good at bringing through top players. It’s just a personal opinion but I just don’t think belk is as good as some claim
[Post edited 6 Jan 2023 11:31]

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Thomas next ? on 11:41 - Jan 6 with 1478 viewsgobbles

Thomas next ? on 05:40 - Jan 6 by PlanetHonneywood

What I'd like to know is what QPR saw in Thomas in the first place that made them think: despite our meagre resources, he's worth a punt?

I know he puts a shift in, so does a pit pony, but it doesn't mean I have to back him in the Derby. I'm a tad bored with the 'we haven't any money' explanation being trotted out for our failed attacking acquisitions. We have to be careful this doesn't become a justification for poor recruitment, especially as the same financial restrictions apply to the majority of clubs we're up against.

I accept we can't buy the finished or near finished article; thats a given. However, we have spent several millions on Washington, Bonne and Dykes and what ever system we are using to identify and buy attackers clearly isnt working.

We were not able to match Brentford for an Ivan Toney, but we should also be looking at why we're not finding or developing an Ivan Toney at the stage Peterborough seem able to do.

We have of course made some good acquisitions. But when it comes to strikers, we are as poor at finding them as those chosen are at finishing.

Thomas was on a free transfer and aged 22, having been signed from Coventry to Leicester aged 20. We had looked at him before, I seem to remember there were rave reviews from Coventry. He ended up spending most of his first season injured. But then again, so did Sam Field.
He is not someone we spent £5 million on.
Thomas next ? on 11:44 - Jan 6 with 1460 viewsed_83

Thomas next ? on 15:39 - Jan 5 by paulhoop2

I wonder if I mentioned Les instead of Belk you all would have agreed lol seems like some are untouchable. Belk heads up recruitment and there are more misses then hits really

Really not sure about this. I went through everyone we've signed in the last 4-ish seasons on the January transfer window thread, and for every Bonne and Thomas there's a Field and a Willock and a Paal, or even just a Jordan Archer (brought in for cheap to be a backup, has done well when called upon, what more could you reasonably expect).

It's obviously all subjective, but I think the notion that we've had more misses than hits requires an extremely pessimistic / negative view of what fits each of those two categories.
Thomas next ? on 12:04 - Jan 6 with 1427 viewsnix

Thomas next ? on 11:41 - Jan 6 by gobbles

Thomas was on a free transfer and aged 22, having been signed from Coventry to Leicester aged 20. We had looked at him before, I seem to remember there were rave reviews from Coventry. He ended up spending most of his first season injured. But then again, so did Sam Field.
He is not someone we spent £5 million on.

It's that thing, isn't it that we're unlikely to always get in the finished article. Some kick on and improve, like Eze, Chair, Willock and some don't, like Thomas and Bonne. Injuries are relevant and not getting runs of matches, but also I guess not really being able to take and apply what's being coached, so they've reached their ceiling already when they come to us and never really get better.

Can't remember anyone we've released in recent years really going on to prove us wrong.
Login to get fewer ads

Thomas next ? on 13:24 - Jan 6 with 1280 viewsA40Bosh

Thomas next ? on 11:29 - Jan 6 by paulhoop2

Hi Pinner

Yes great docu that and strange really as always thought palace were good at bringing through top players. It’s just a personal opinion but I just don’t think belk is as good as some claim

Need to call you out on this Paul - yes you have your opinion, accept that, but...

In your earlier post you said that there are more misses than hits - I disagree and we would be in league one or lower if that was the case.

I think it is a case of misunderstood expectations. If a player is a guaranteed cert that he is going to be top class, then he will have been hoovered up by one of the big clubs at a young age or goes for stupid money and out of our budget (which ain't much)and those off us fighting for scraps down in the lower championship might get the benefit of them via a loan such as Laird - who by the way picked up a knock or was ill before Shef Utd game. As a result someone who many on here were screaming we should get rid of (even though he is one of the rare ones who has been with us since he was a nipper) comes in and for 75 mins gives his absolute all until he is wrecked and did the job. If you get rid of a Kakay and a Thomas and a Nico, then you are off to Aldi or Lidl again next day to have a look in the bargain bins to see what other risky prospect you can bring in for when a loanee has an injury or go off get another loan if you are not at the max.

We are in this for the long haul - don't be so quick to get those fringe player out, many of whom could be happy to be here (Bonne aside) and ARE putting in a shift behind closed doors at the training ground Mon-Fri and have to suffice as back up until we manage to somehow get to the promised land.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Thomas next ? on 13:57 - Jan 6 with 1178 viewsPinnerPaul

Thomas next ? on 11:29 - Jan 6 by paulhoop2

Hi Pinner

Fair enough, its all opinions in the end!
Thomas next ? on 10:34 - Jan 7 with 988 viewsfrancisbowles

Thomas next ? on 05:40 - Jan 6 by PlanetHonneywood

To add to your other replies on your first sentence. 80 senior appearances 8 goals and 3 full Welsh caps.

As Nix said you hope they are going to carry on developing but many can't or don't.
Thomas next ? on 10:39 - Jan 7 with 958 viewsDixie_CT

The maybe man. Really wanted him to succeed.

Had he been awarded that Pen v Burnley, it could have made a difference to his confidence but think we have seen enough from Thomas now to know he won’t make it at QPR.

No goals and no assists?

Low risk gamble that hasn’t paid off and time to move on.
Thomas next ? on 11:43 - Jan 7 with 846 viewsDejR_vu

Assuming he’s on a reasonable contract, he’s one I think I’d persevere with at this stage, having done so for this long. He looks to me that he’s desperate to do well but is low on confidence. I suspect if he could just, somehow, get off the mark, just a tap-in or a flukey shank or something, a goal would go him the world of good and we might, might, see a different player.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Thomas next ? on 12:43 - Jan 7 with 760 viewsdmm

We've been saying the same about Shodipo for years. He has similar weaknesses to Thomas, in particular lacking a final product, and he has never resolved them.

Without wanting to be cruel, Thomas, Shodipo and one or two others should really be plying their trade in League 1 where they'd have a far better chance of carving out a career for themselves.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024