Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Twitter 11:16 - Nov 18 with 10701 viewsEastR

I’m not a big fan of social media and minimise usage to occasionally browsing stuff you don’t have to sign up to (these days not a great deal!)

The club’s twitter account is one I would check in on quickly an hour before a game for the line up and a quick screenshot before it locks you out.

It is interesting to see what’s going on with that platform at the moment, rumours this morning that the whole thing is on the verge of potentially collapsing. Considering he only just paid $44bn for it that would be some blow out.

Half the workforce already gone, staff locked out of offices again today, those that didn’t sign up to be ‘extremely hardcore’ going forward told not to bother coming back.

Musk makes Ashley look like Father Christmas.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Twitter on 11:25 - Nov 18 with 4766 viewsNorthernr

It's now hard to believe that he's not deliberately destroying it just because he can.

Twitter is a hateful thing, that has done much to cause division in society, degrade standards in public discourse and journalism, set people against each other, and allow dangerous political movements to grow, take hold and even win and take power. So I won't mourn its loss greatly.

However, from a QPR and LFW perspective, this site and the club rely on it heavily to communicate, get stuff out there, campaign on stuff, speak to opponents for articles etc, so logisitically it will take some getting used to and a big reset to how we do things in the short term.
Twitter on 13:37 - Nov 18 with 4555 viewsTomS

$44bn is a lot of money to flush down the toilet, and not all of that money is his. It really has quickly developed into an omnishambles.
Twitter on 13:46 - Nov 18 with 4529 viewsPaddyhoops

He got an easy ride on the BBC doc. People and family creaming themselves over him!
Twitter on 13:52 - Nov 18 with 4511 viewsSharpy36

Zuckerberg and Bezos have or are in the process of laying off 21k jointly, but Musk laying off 3.7k is the problem ?

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Twitter on 14:02 - Nov 18 with 4489 viewsNorthernr

Twitter on 13:52 - Nov 18 by Sharpy36

Zuckerberg and Bezos have or are in the process of laying off 21k jointly, but Musk laying off 3.7k is the problem ?

No, stopping the platform from working and functioning is the problem.

Facebook and Amazon are still going to function, Twitter there's now a chance might not.
Twitter on 14:07 - Nov 18 with 4480 viewspeterlund_dk

All figures are approximated.

Amazon:
Number of employees - 1.500.000
People laid off during latest round - 10.000
0,7% fired

Meta:
Number of employees - 85.000
People laid off during latest round - 11.000
13% fired

Twitter:
50% fired

Wonder which company is having the biggest problem currently...
Twitter on 14:19 - Nov 18 with 4449 viewstraininvain

Ego. Basically a PR stunt gone wrong as Musk didn’t really want to buy Twitter for $44bn but went too deep and couldn’t back out.

A good lesson that just because you’ve had success in one field, it doesn’t make you an expert on everything.
Twitter on 14:19 - Nov 18 with 4447 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Twitter on 11:25 - Nov 18 by Northernr

It's now hard to believe that he's not deliberately destroying it just because he can.

Twitter is a hateful thing, that has done much to cause division in society, degrade standards in public discourse and journalism, set people against each other, and allow dangerous political movements to grow, take hold and even win and take power. So I won't mourn its loss greatly.

However, from a QPR and LFW perspective, this site and the club rely on it heavily to communicate, get stuff out there, campaign on stuff, speak to opponents for articles etc, so logisitically it will take some getting used to and a big reset to how we do things in the short term.

Hope it works out ok for you, Clive.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Twitter on 14:20 - Nov 18 with 4437 viewsSharpy36

Twitter on 14:02 - Nov 18 by Northernr

Facebook and Amazon are still going to function, Twitter there's now a chance might not.

It functions ok from where i`m sitting. The loud voices on Twitter who seem to be having these so called problems are those that have the platform to their liking for far too long. All i`m seeing now is a shift in the balance.
As for any SM we the end user have the power in our hands to either interact or not on them, very much the same as here.
The only downside to SM platforms closing is it will be less options left open to us to voice our opinions when they differ to those of yours.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Twitter on 14:33 - Nov 18 with 4408 viewsslmrstid

Bring back MySpace.

Tom was everyone's friend.

And unlike the others, he sold the platform, made his money and disappeared to live a quiet life.
Twitter on 14:35 - Nov 18 with 4401 viewsNorthernr

Twitter on 14:20 - Nov 18 by Sharpy36

It functions ok from where i`m sitting. The loud voices on Twitter who seem to be having these so called problems are those that have the platform to their liking for far too long. All i`m seeing now is a shift in the balance.
As for any SM we the end user have the power in our hands to either interact or not on them, very much the same as here.
The only downside to SM platforms closing is it will be less options left open to us to voice our opinions when they differ to those of yours.

Great, I'm really pleased for you.
Twitter on 14:42 - Nov 18 with 4386 viewsToast_R

The world would be in a much better place if Twitter was switched off permanently.
Twitter on 14:56 - Nov 18 with 4347 viewsrobith

Amazon and Meta are mostly laying off sales staff due to a depression in advertising demand due to economic pressure on consumer demand.

Musk has fired the people who make the site actually work. You currently can't log in if you use 2 Factor Authentication because the team that ran it is gone and it no longer sends out your code.
Twitter on 14:57 - Nov 18 with 4345 viewsrobith

Twitter on 14:20 - Nov 18 by Sharpy36

Twitter on 14:59 - Nov 18 with 4341 viewskensalriser

Like all narcissist-sociopaths, Musk appears to have slightly over-estimated his own abilities.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Twitter on 15:30 - Nov 18 with 4278 viewsderbyhoop

Twitter on 11:25 - Nov 18 by Northernr

Are you going to Mastodon?

Twitter was limited to 140 chars which was difficult to develop any sort of reasoned argument. It can be divisive , like all social media.

My advice would be don't be rude and don't say anything you wouldn't say in a pub, to a bloke twice your size with a short temper.

I've disagreed with plenty of people who don't share my POV, but if I think they are a tw@t ill block or ignore them.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Twitter on 15:33 - Nov 18 with 4271 viewsMaggsinho

Twitter on 15:30 - Nov 18 by derbyhoop

Are you going to Mastodon?

Twitter was limited to 140 chars which was difficult to develop any sort of reasoned argument. It can be divisive , like all social media.

My advice would be don't be rude and don't say anything you wouldn't say in a pub, to a bloke twice your size with a short temper.

I've disagreed with plenty of people who don't share my POV, but if I think they are a tw@t ill block or ignore them.

I signed up to Mastodon today, it's very clunky indeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch of ex-Twitter employees pitching the idea of a new Twitter without Elon Musk to investors right now.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2022 15:34]
Twitter on 15:38 - Nov 18 with 4259 viewsTonto

Musk said he was buying Twitter to "save humanity". In my opinion, making it go bust is doing exactly that. bravo Mr M!

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: How was the transfer window for you?

Twitter on 15:45 - Nov 18 with 4238 viewsstowmarketrange

Twitter on 13:37 - Nov 18 by TomS

$44bn is a lot of money to flush down the toilet, and not all of that money is his. It really has quickly developed into an omnishambles.

Just ask Truss and Quasimodo.
Twitter on 15:57 - Nov 18 with 4208 viewsaston_hoop

Its mostly just a purge of the existing staff isn't it? Of course none of the developers want to go from decent flexible working conditions to suddenly doing 90 hours a week, especially when they work in a field with a ton of decent job opportunities! So they'll take their severance, find new opportunities, Musk can surround himself with his own people who will implement the things he wants, collect the data he wants etc and life goes on. I suppose its also very possible he just overestimated his own hype and thought a few more of the current people would become signed-up Musk bootlickers too but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Either way, I don't think it will go anywhere. It'll just be a bit of a mess

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Twitter on 16:01 - Nov 18 with 4196 viewswelwynranger

Twitter on 15:45 - Nov 18 by stowmarketrange

Just ask Truss and Quasimodo.

They have both got the hump
Twitter on 16:25 - Nov 18 with 4160 viewsBathRanger

Twitter on 15:33 - Nov 18 by Maggsinho

I signed up to Mastodon today, it's very clunky indeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch of ex-Twitter employees pitching the idea of a new Twitter without Elon Musk to investors right now.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2022 15:34]

Ex twitter employees joining together to form a startup...they should call it Quitter!
Twitter on 17:01 - Nov 18 with 4100 viewstoboboly

Twitter on 14:02 - Nov 18 by Northernr

Bebo still running?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Twitter on 17:20 - Nov 18 with 4063 viewsessextaxiboy

A few Journos will have to do the job more traditional way instead of being spoon fed stories on their phone .
Twitter on 17:47 - Nov 18 with 4010 viewsNorthernr

Twitter on 17:20 - Nov 18 by essextaxiboy

A few Journos will have to do the job more traditional way instead of being spoon fed stories on their phone .

I agree with this. On the one hand Twitter has been great for people building careers from scratch, there’s a guy who reports on the TV business which is my day job called Scott Bryan and he’s literally built himself up from Twitter into somebody who’s on BBC News everyday, and he’s absolutely great.

On the other it’s made a lot of journos and newspapers higher up incredibly slapdash and lazy. When you’ve got Laura Kuennesberg, the BBC political correspondent, standing on News at Ten reading out a Tweet from Dominic Cummings, without checks, without balances, without checking it’s accurate or true, that’s abysmal. Alastair Campbell would have had a fcking field day with that back in the day.

Quick story. We were interviewing for a new reporter on my team at work a little while back - as journo jobs go it’s a good one, fairly paid, good company, and a lot of international travel. The standard of applicant was abysmal, properly abysmal. We had a girl in from The Express, a national newspaper let’s not forget, I asked her one of my stock questions which is “if you’ve been away for a couple of weeks, and you come back in on Monday morning, where are you getting your news lines from that day?” The answer I want, basically, is PICK UP THE PHONE. Ring contacts, ring sources, how’s it going, what have I missed, what’s the gossip, what’s the latest on that thing? So many reporters now are terrified of the phone. She said, in a job interview, “I’d see what was trending on Twitter and Reddit and do my version of that.” I threw her a bone, nice lad that I am, and said “that absolutely won’t work on my team, how would you modify your approach?” She thought, sucked her teeth, and said “I’d probably have to change who I follow on Twitter and Reddit”.

So many wannabe journos think that’s the job now. Rather than building contacts, relationships, sources, give and take with a friendly copper etc.Demise of local newspapers has exacerbated this, and Twitter certainly has.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024