Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report 16:00 - Mar 6 with 5731 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/57228
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 11:23 - Mar 7 with 1034 viewswhittocksRs

The main positive you can take from the last few months is somehow we still have our destiny our own hands. I've been saying that the team has looked well below par from just before Christmas and bar the Reading game, I can't remember the performance level getting anywhere near the Jan-October 2021 levels over recent months. We've reminded me of Reading last year tbh.

I'd be absolutely amazed if we manage to make the top six now but I supposed something could click and we could start putting in the sorts of effort needed again. Can't see quite how it's going to happen - when we dominate possession now we just pissball around in front of our goal and when we don't we tend to concede dozens of chances. So unless we can get back to dominating the ball further up the pitch, I can't see there being enough individual brilliance left in the team to scrape enough wins together.

Our best players look shot and increasingly unhappy on the pitch, while the less talented players are either completely out of favour and regressing or looking League 1 standard on the pitch. I think failing to bring in quality wing-back cover and a decent forward and opting for another centre-mid and centre-back in January has left us a bit short where we actually need help, but appreciate how hamstrung we are financially and if you can't get who you want you don't take second-rate options and expect anything other than second-rate players.

Feels like a season of disappointment will be the end result but we have to take heart that we have made progress in the longer-term. Expect we'll need to shift a player for big bucks in the summer and then hope we have a prospect coming through to fill the spot and keep the business model ticking over.
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 13:45 - Mar 7 with 896 viewsfrancisbowles

We have another week on the training pitch, which definitely helped in the first half on Saturday. There needs to be lessons learnt quickly after Saturday's collapse.

I trust MW to analyse and coach it out of them. He may need to freshen it up maybe McCallum for Wallace as well as Dykes and Johansen if they are fit instead of Gray and Hendrick, although I'm not anti either of them and would certainly have them ready to come of the bench.

As others have said it is still in our hands but we now need to beat a few of the teams around us, whereas before this poor run draws would have sufficed. We are now in a bit of a 'nothing to lose scenario' so we have to really go for it.
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 16:22 - Mar 7 with 805 viewsNoelmc

Thanks Clive.

Once again you've managed to sum up how most of us feel.

Just one comment to add regarding the defensive set up for their free-kick goal, but not sure if it's already been mentioned elsewhere.

I'm normally a big fan of leaving 2 up front for defensive corners otherwise the ball comes straight back at us when cleared. However for a central free-kick in a dangerous position, I thought we should have had everyone back instead of 2 left up. Certainly the wall seemed a bit narrow to me. Presumably Marshall sets it up the way he wants it, so he's probably at fault, but I would have put another couple in it and left a minimal sight of goal to the forward. If he gets it over the wall then dips it to beat the unsighted keeper all credit to him, but that's a much more difficult skill than blasting it for the big gap to the side of the wall.

Be interested to hear the views of others such as Brian McCarthy, who have good goalkeeping knowledge/skills.
Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 16:24 - Mar 7 with 801 viewsNorthernr

Second half slump incurs Warbs’ wrath — Report on 16:22 - Mar 7 by Noelmc

Thanks Clive.

Once again you've managed to sum up how most of us feel.

Just one comment to add regarding the defensive set up for their free-kick goal, but not sure if it's already been mentioned elsewhere.

I'm normally a big fan of leaving 2 up front for defensive corners otherwise the ball comes straight back at us when cleared. However for a central free-kick in a dangerous position, I thought we should have had everyone back instead of 2 left up. Certainly the wall seemed a bit narrow to me. Presumably Marshall sets it up the way he wants it, so he's probably at fault, but I would have put another couple in it and left a minimal sight of goal to the forward. If he gets it over the wall then dips it to beat the unsighted keeper all credit to him, but that's a much more difficult skill than blasting it for the big gap to the side of the wall.

Be interested to hear the views of others such as Brian McCarthy, who have good goalkeeping knowledge/skills.

He did that old Tony Roberts trick of building a wall and standing behind it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024