Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended 17:06 - Mar 25 with 8477 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

A teacher has been suspended after allegedly showing caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad during a religious education lesson exploring blasphemy.

Dozens of furious Muslim parents protested outside the historic Batley Grammar School in West Yorkshire today, which had to delay its opening and told pupils to stay at home amid chaotic scenes at the gates. The protesters had been demanding the resignation of the teacher. Muslims make up 41 per cent of the population in Batley, a historic market and mill town in the Kirkless region

Headteacher Gary Kibble 'sincerely apologised for the great offence to the community'. Today's protest comes five months after history teacher Samuel Paty was beheaded on the street near his school in a Paris suburb by an Islamic extremist last October after showing Prophet Muhammad cartoons to his students.

Reacting to the images being shown, Mohammad Salad Hussain, founder of the Batley-based Muslim charity Purpose of Life, said: "'We feel like he's (the teacher) hiding away and that's not good enough, he needs to show his face. A lot of us have questions for him about how this ever happened in the first place, something clearly went very wrong."

"Officers were guarding all school entrances".

How very sad - let's hope our fantastic intelligence agencies are able to prevent any abhorrent retaliations like we saw in France against Samuel Paty.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-56524850

[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 17:07]

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 07:00 - Mar 26 with 1682 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:31 - Mar 25 by Boundy

We're talking about one persons' livelihood .

The irony. The Islamic “religion” has killed (conservative estimate) between 80-120 million people between the 8th Century and today in the sub continent alone.
It’s bizarre - as far as I know mohamed is the only human being in the history of the worlds religions who cannot be depicted in any form of art. Ironically again in islamic art his features are obscured and most of that probably is from a non mainstream sect. This puts their “prophet” on an equal footing with their god, which is completely at odds with their “divinely simple and pure monotheism” which states allah has no associates.

A very menacing , threatening and disturbing letter from a so called charity too.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 07:04 - Mar 26 with 1680 viewsGwyn737

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 06:51 - Mar 26 by Brynmill_Jack

Islam is allegedly a religion . That’s why Gwyn.

You could say that about any of them 😉
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 08:39 - Mar 26 with 1637 viewsonehunglow

The Bible also mentions images.
It really show how religions KILL ;they have to for survival.

Nobody in this country would dare replicate comment herein on the British streets.

I am proud of you all.

I mean that

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 10:11 - Mar 26 with 1621 viewsLohengrin

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:30 - Mar 25 by Gwyn737

I’m not sure what image was used.

My issue isn’t that it was shown but that is was shown in an RE lesson.

Just listening to Radio 4 and it appears that the teacher was attempting to navigate a module on the history of blasphemy law.

There a possibility that latter-day Roundheads will come cantering through Batley to cart the teacher off for displaying icons of Saints as a teaching aid, though I wouldn’t go holding my breath If I were you, Gwyn.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 10:15 - Mar 26 with 1611 viewsonehunglow

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 10:11 - Mar 26 by Lohengrin

Just listening to Radio 4 and it appears that the teacher was attempting to navigate a module on the history of blasphemy law.

There a possibility that latter-day Roundheads will come cantering through Batley to cart the teacher off for displaying icons of Saints as a teaching aid, though I wouldn’t go holding my breath If I were you, Gwyn.

It gets worse Loh.
Look at the State we're in.

I attach this for you personally.

Listen to the triplets that open the song then

Listen to McNabb's lyrics carefully

This is what it was like.

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 10:45 - Mar 26 with 1604 viewscontroversial_jack

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 19:28 - Mar 25 by Gwyn737

Which you could do without showing an image?

I’ve no issue of an image being shared as a news item or a satire. Come to that, you could make a good argument to use it in an ethics or citizenship type lesson.

I just think that using it in an RE lesson is clumsy at best.

Maybe, but who are these parents to dictate to teachers how to run their lessons. If the parents don't like it, they are free to take their kids from that school and seek another.
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 12:48 - Mar 26 with 1557 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 10:11 - Mar 26 by Lohengrin

I doubt very much he had deliberately set out to offend anyone . I would have thought he’d be treading on eggshells just preparing that lesson. Unbelievable

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 12:53 - Mar 26 with 1549 viewsGroo

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 10:45 - Mar 26 by controversial_jack

Maybe, but who are these parents to dictate to teachers how to run their lessons. If the parents don't like it, they are free to take their kids from that school and seek another.

I'm reading that there were no parents in the crowd that protested outside the school.

Groo does what Groo does best

Login to get fewer ads

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 12:53 - Mar 26 with 1548 viewsLohengrin

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 12:48 - Mar 26 by Brynmill_Jack

I doubt very much he had deliberately set out to offend anyone . I would have thought he’d be treading on eggshells just preparing that lesson. Unbelievable

You just know he would would have been broaching the subject with all necessary sensitivity, Bryn.

The fruit loops outside the gate are best laughed at or ignored, certainly not accommodated.

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 12:54 - Mar 26 with 1546 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 10:45 - Mar 26 by controversial_jack

Even worse they protest outside the school to intimidate. Totally ignoring lockdown down laws and putting people at risk.

Perhaps the Muslim community should protest at the behaviour of their men folk in the child grooming scandal which seem to be acceptable to them.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 12:56 - Mar 26 with 1543 viewsFireboy2

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 12:53 - Mar 26 by Lohengrin

You just know he would would have been broaching the subject with all necessary sensitivity, Bryn.

The fruit loops outside the gate are best laughed at or ignored, certainly not accommodated.

I sincerely hope so but doubt it loh.
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 12:58 - Mar 26 with 1540 viewsLohengrin

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 12:56 - Mar 26 by Fireboy2

I sincerely hope so but doubt it loh.

It doesn’t augur well that the headmaster has jelly where his backbone ought to be.

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 13:11 - Mar 26 with 1524 viewsBoundy

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 12:53 - Mar 26 by Groo

I'm reading that there were no parents in the crowd that protested outside the school.

Rent a mob , I wonder do they use agencies

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 13:13 - Mar 26 with 1520 viewsCatullus

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 12:58 - Mar 26 by Lohengrin

It doesn’t augur well that the headmaster has jelly where his backbone ought to be.

People with much more power than him wobble like jelly when the Islamic protestors start. They are so determined not to be accused of racism of Islamophobia they bend over backwards to accomodate, even when it's plainly the wrong thing to do.

Not that I can what is right or wrong in this school because I don't have all the facts and I doubt I ever will.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 13:13 - Mar 26 with 1518 viewsGwyn737

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 12:48 - Mar 26 by Brynmill_Jack

Definitely. The school is over 1/3 Muslim.

I'm sure it could have been handled more sensitively. You can get your point across without showing the picture.

I still can't see any benefit to learning by showing the image.
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 13:16 - Mar 26 with 1514 viewsGwyn737

Disagree with you on this one.

If you allow parents to choose their schools based on their personal dogma we're in trouble (see the Trojan Horse stuff in Birmingham a few years ago).

Even worse, you could end up removing children from a multi-faith secular school and pushing them into underground ones. Now that's dangerous.
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 13:25 - Mar 26 with 1507 viewsLohengrin

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 13:13 - Mar 26 by Gwyn737

Definitely. The school is over 1/3 Muslim.

I'm sure it could have been handled more sensitively. You can get your point across without showing the picture.

I still can't see any benefit to learning by showing the image.

How can the subject of blasphemy laws be covered comprehensively without providing examples in illustration? Wouldn’t the examples provide the talking points?

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 13:39 - Mar 26 with 1494 viewsCatullus

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 13:25 - Mar 26 by Lohengrin

How can the subject of blasphemy laws be covered comprehensively without providing examples in illustration? Wouldn’t the examples provide the talking points?

If you were discussing rape in a sex education class, or social studies or whatever lesson, would you use pictures?

Bad lesson 5,

https://educationpost.org/5-ways-we-teach-rape-culture-in-schools/

We have to be better, better at how we express ourselves but also better at how we listen, understand and react.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 13:44 - Mar 26 with 1492 viewsGwyn737

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 13:25 - Mar 26 by Lohengrin

I don't think so in this instance as there's no 'agreed' images to use - not like if we were takling about Jesus where there are masterpieces as points of reference.

We're talking religious laws too. You wouldn't teach the Ten Commandments and need to show a picture of a murder or adultery to get them across.

As I've said before if it was in a different context say a Law or a Citizenship lesson, then there's a strong argument for showing an image.
Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 13:49 - Mar 26 with 1489 viewsGroo

It would prove a point in teaching to talk about it and hold up a blank piece of paper stipulating that Muslims don't allow.

The French incident showed the possible result of holding up an actual drawing.

The teacher shouldn't have done it but then again the reaction would always be beyond that which is acceptable.

Groo does what Groo does best

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 13:54 - Mar 26 with 1483 viewsonehunglow

Gwyn
It is simply fundamental religious indoctrination learned from the family elders at an early age ,by which time it's sometimes impossible to be free .

It is sad nobody can or will stand up and call this out for what it is.Theological bullying.

No religion should be "respected" and no adherents too just because they believe.

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 14:06 - Mar 26 with 1478 viewsLohengrin

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 13:44 - Mar 26 by Gwyn737

I don't think so in this instance as there's no 'agreed' images to use - not like if we were takling about Jesus where there are masterpieces as points of reference.

We're talking religious laws too. You wouldn't teach the Ten Commandments and need to show a picture of a murder or adultery to get them across.

As I've said before if it was in a different context say a Law or a Citizenship lesson, then there's a strong argument for showing an image.

I’m not sure you’re really comparing apples with apples there, Gwyn.

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 14:08 - Mar 26 with 1473 viewsonehunglow

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 14:06 - Mar 26 by Lohengrin

Never mind that.Did you check on "up here in the north of England"

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 14:12 - Mar 26 with 1472 viewsLohengrin

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 14:08 - Mar 26 by onehunglow

Never mind that.Did you check on "up here in the north of England"

Not really my thing, mate. You can’t jive to that.

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 14:15 - Mar 26 with 1469 viewsGwyn737

Prophet Muhammad cartoon sparks school protest - teacher suspended on 14:06 - Mar 26 by Lohengrin

Tis a bit tenuous, I agree. I find it all quite tricky to articulate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024