Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grim news from Anglesey 20:35 - Jun 21 with 6925 viewsdickythorpe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53131765
Grim news from Anglesey on 23:34 - Jun 21 with 1584 viewsFireboy2

Grim news from Anglesey on 23:13 - Jun 21 by majorraglan

Lots of migrant workers over here (especially some of those brought over by agencies) work and live in some pretty harsh conditions including sharing rooms with colleagues. They are vital to the economy and a lot do jobs that British people don’t want to do.

And the capitalist tories love them, it's a wonder why these sort of people voted for brexit when it's the migrants who make them even more money.
Grim news from Anglesey on 11:24 - Jun 22 with 1501 viewsWxmJax

Grim news from Anglesey on 22:58 - Jun 21 by Fireboy2

Alas K I'm taking her along with the boys and the father in law to Anglesey this year so no chance unfortunately.

Not sure how much you know about Anglesey. Cracking beaches at Newborough and Aberffraw. Took the rib ride down the Menai Straits last year, went under both bridges to AC/DC's Thunderstruck, great fun. Dylan's is ok for food, cracking chippy at Malltraeth. Caernarfon's worth's visit as well as zipworld if it's open.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Grim news from Anglesey on 11:35 - Jun 22 with 1493 viewscontroversial_jack

Same happened in a meat factory in the Netherlands. Many temp workers - migrants, tested positive and were quarantined. They ignored it and went to work anyway until the govt shut the place down and forced them to quarantine.Many then went over the border to work in Germany

The problem seems to be temp worked, as in care homes when they move from home to home, often on zero hour contracts
Grim news from Anglesey on 11:37 - Jun 22 with 1491 viewsFireboy2

Grim news from Anglesey on 11:24 - Jun 22 by WxmJax

Not sure how much you know about Anglesey. Cracking beaches at Newborough and Aberffraw. Took the rib ride down the Menai Straits last year, went under both bridges to AC/DC's Thunderstruck, great fun. Dylan's is ok for food, cracking chippy at Malltraeth. Caernarfon's worth's visit as well as zipworld if it's open.

Been to Anglesey for the last 6 years WJ.

We absolutely love it, stayed in rhosneigr for 3 years then moelfre and benllech, back to moelfre this year so I suspect we will spend alot of time at llygwi beach if the weather is good.

I'm hoping the rib will be open when we go as I left it too late to book last year and the missus really wants to go to Dylan's.

Done Caernarfon, the boys loved the castle, might try the chippy if we do a trip to newborough beach.

Cheers for the info mate👍
Grim news from Anglesey on 11:42 - Jun 22 with 1486 viewsNotLoyal

So what measures were taken by local govt immediately upon this being released. Local lockdown, totally, tracing and implementing a local strategy for people movement ?

Once again the UK is shameful.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Grim news from Anglesey on 12:19 - Jun 22 with 1452 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Seems like the Welsh government's environment health inspectors have failed by not checking that working conditions were not safe or guidelines were not being followed.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Grim news from Anglesey on 12:20 - Jun 22 with 1462 viewsItchySphincter

Grim news from Anglesey on 11:37 - Jun 22 by Fireboy2

We absolutely love it, stayed in rhosneigr for 3 years then moelfre and benllech, back to moelfre this year so I suspect we will spend alot of time at llygwi beach if the weather is good.

I'm hoping the rib will be open when we go as I left it too late to book last year and the missus really wants to go to Dylan's.

Done Caernarfon, the boys loved the castle, might try the chippy if we do a trip to newborough beach.

Nuddy beach at Newborough.

Aside the from the castle I found Caernarfon to be a horrible little shithole. Us South Walians not welcome there.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Grim news from Anglesey on 12:35 - Jun 22 with 1449 viewsFireboy2

Grim news from Anglesey on 12:20 - Jun 22 by ItchySphincter

Aside the from the castle I found Caernarfon to be a horrible little shithole. Us South Walians not welcome there.

I never saw any horrible sights at newborough.
Login to get fewer ads

Grim news from Anglesey on 13:00 - Jun 22 with 1431 viewscontroversial_jack

Grim news from Anglesey on 12:19 - Jun 22 by felixstowe_jack

Seems like the Welsh government's environment health inspectors have failed by not checking that working conditions were not safe or guidelines were not being followed.

Where was the HSE?
Grim news from Anglesey on 14:30 - Jun 22 with 1382 viewsWxmJax

Grim news from Anglesey on 11:37 - Jun 22 by Fireboy2

You probably know more about the place than me then. We used to stick to the West coast as a friend had a bungalow she let in Aberffraw. Stunning views towards Snowdon and Llyn peninsular from "my"chair.
I think the rib we went on was Velocity, £35 but worth every penny.
We used to stop in Conwy on our way to get meat from Edwards of Conwy. There's a cracking chippy as you go through the castle walls off High Street and on to the quayside to eat them while avoiding the sodding seagulls.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 14:34]

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Grim news from Anglesey on 14:44 - Jun 22 with 1371 viewsDr_Winston

Grim news from Anglesey on 12:20 - Jun 22 by ItchySphincter

I disliked following the sat nav into Caernarfon and finding myself in what looked like a pedestrianised area. Like you say, apart from the Castle the place seemed a bit dull.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Grim news from Anglesey on 15:03 - Jun 22 with 1355 viewsFireboy2

Grim news from Anglesey on 14:30 - Jun 22 by WxmJax

You probably know more about the place than me then. We used to stick to the West coast as a friend had a bungalow she let in Aberffraw. Stunning views towards Snowdon and Llyn peninsular from "my"chair.
I think the rib we went on was Velocity, £35 but worth every penny.
We used to stop in Conwy on our way to get meat from Edwards of Conwy. There's a cracking chippy as you go through the castle walls off High Street and on to the quayside to eat them while avoiding the sodding seagulls.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 14:34]

Aberffraw has some cracking views, you are lucky that you have good friends

Btw we always stop at the anglesey arms for some dinner before we venture onto our place of stay, its on the island side of the menai bridge just before you go into menai, next time you go have a look as it has great food at reasonable prices with a cracking outside seating area if the weather is nice.
Grim news from Anglesey on 15:22 - Jun 22 with 1334 viewsKilkennyjack

Its happened in England, Germany etc as well.

Seems the factory conditions are virus friendly.

Its not just in Wales, you div ....

Beware of the Risen People

Grim news from Anglesey on 15:32 - Jun 22 with 1330 viewschad

Grim news from Anglesey on 15:22 - Jun 22 by Kilkennyjack

Careful the whataboutists might be about ;)

What’s a div? Used to get divi from the co-op, anything like that?
Grim news from Anglesey on 15:57 - Jun 22 with 1310 viewsProfessor

Grim news from Anglesey on 15:22 - Jun 22 by Kilkennyjack

Poultry processing uses a lot of water and is pretty humid.
Lots of opportunities for aerosols to form. Close proximity for many parts of the job.
Grim news from Anglesey on 15:59 - Jun 22 with 1305 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Grim news from Anglesey on 13:00 - Jun 22 by controversial_jack

Where was the HSE?

Exactly HSE is a power devolved to the Welsh Assembly.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Grim news from Anglesey on 16:02 - Jun 22 with 1304 viewslondonlisa2001

Grim news from Anglesey on 15:57 - Jun 22 by Professor

Poultry processing uses a lot of water and is pretty humid.
Lots of opportunities for aerosols to form. Close proximity for many parts of the job.

Cold, humid, no sunlight either.

The thought is that it may be encouraging longer life on surfaces according to German reporting. And people are catching it through contact with those contaminated surfaces.

One option is trying to introduce UV without causing spoilage apparently.
Grim news from Anglesey on 16:44 - Jun 22 with 1280 viewsProfessor

Grim news from Anglesey on 16:02 - Jun 22 by londonlisa2001

Cold, humid, no sunlight either.

The thought is that it may be encouraging longer life on surfaces according to German reporting. And people are catching it through contact with those contaminated surfaces.

One option is trying to introduce UV without causing spoilage apparently.

So much machinery to contaminate as well as the scald and chill tanks (the latter is were the US add lots of chlorine). A line usually runs 18 hours then a 6 hour shut down for cleaning. Thousands of crates of birds in (they get disinfected before going out again), the conveyer line itself, the shackles, stunning (gas usually), the slaughter knife, scald tank, plucker, evicerator, chill tanks and final processing for whole birds before dry chill and packaging. Portion cut by hand before final chill and packaging. A lot can go wrong. UV may help, yes. Really needs a targeted testing now for meat plants.
Grim news from Anglesey on 16:58 - Jun 22 with 1271 viewschad

Grim news from Anglesey on 16:44 - Jun 22 by Professor

So much machinery to contaminate as well as the scald and chill tanks (the latter is were the US add lots of chlorine). A line usually runs 18 hours then a 6 hour shut down for cleaning. Thousands of crates of birds in (they get disinfected before going out again), the conveyer line itself, the shackles, stunning (gas usually), the slaughter knife, scald tank, plucker, evicerator, chill tanks and final processing for whole birds before dry chill and packaging. Portion cut by hand before final chill and packaging. A lot can go wrong. UV may help, yes. Really needs a targeted testing now for meat plants.

As I maintain, we need to live a simpler, more self sufficient life, and eat less meat

Good to be reminded of the dirty work that goes on in our name (vegis excluded)
Grim news from Anglesey on 16:58 - Jun 22 with 1268 viewslondonlisa2001

Grim news from Anglesey on 16:44 - Jun 22 by Professor

Agreed. Testing regime similar to those in other high risk areas.

And PPE / workforce practices to be looked at as well. There’s a temptation for people wearing gloves to think they can’t get contaminated as much as others perhaps? False sense of security leading to people being less vigilant than is needed.

Hopefully the outbreaks will be contained properly. I imagine the workforce themselves will be younger and less likely to suffer a serious illness, so shielding them from the wider community is really important.
Grim news from Anglesey on 17:47 - Jun 22 with 1241 viewsProfessor

Grim news from Anglesey on 16:58 - Jun 22 by londonlisa2001

Agreed. Testing regime similar to those in other high risk areas.

And PPE / workforce practices to be looked at as well. There’s a temptation for people wearing gloves to think they can’t get contaminated as much as others perhaps? False sense of security leading to people being less vigilant than is needed.

Hopefully the outbreaks will be contained properly. I imagine the workforce themselves will be younger and less likely to suffer a serious illness, so shielding them from the wider community is really important.

Yes, agree with that. Staff are usually 20s and 30s unless supervisors or managers. There should be PPE in place, but people do not use it properly or ignore it for comfort etc.
Grim news from Anglesey on 18:13 - Jun 22 with 1226 viewsProfessor

Grim news from Anglesey on 16:58 - Jun 22 by chad

As I maintain, we need to live a simpler, more self sufficient life, and eat less meat

Good to be reminded of the dirty work that goes on in our name (vegis excluded)

There is a lot to be said for that. Whilst chicken production can be made a lot friendlier and sustainable with a few tweaks and perhaps an extra 10p per kilo, some of the ways beef and pork are produced (especially in the US and China) are pretty reprehensible. We should all eat less but better beef and pork. Will be more costly, like lamb, but cattle are meant to live mainly on grass, not fed grain and antibiotics in an intensive feed lot.

And yes, I do increasingly put my money where my mouth is with these meats.

But this is grim, dirty work and I'm pleased I just see it from time-to-time rather than live it every day.
Grim news from Anglesey on 18:17 - Jun 22 with 1219 viewscontroversial_jack

Grim news from Anglesey on 17:47 - Jun 22 by Professor

Yes, agree with that. Staff are usually 20s and 30s unless supervisors or managers. There should be PPE in place, but people do not use it properly or ignore it for comfort etc.

That's down to poor supervision and checks
Grim news from Anglesey on 18:25 - Jun 22 with 1211 viewsmajorraglan

As far as I am aware the Welsh Government don’t employ health inspectors per se, it’s a function undertaken by the local authority.

I agree that someone should have been overseeing this and it probably sits with Anglesey Council.
I don’t have a great deal of time for Drakeford etc, but if your going to diss people then at least get your facts right.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 18:26]
Grim news from Anglesey on 21:51 - Jun 22 with 1162 viewsProfessor

Grim news from Anglesey on 18:17 - Jun 22 by controversial_jack

That's down to poor supervision and checks

Yes. One impression I got from work we did with social/behavioural scientists from Manchester is that poultry workers know what they should do, but often cut corners with those above often turning a blind eye. Our work was relating to Campylobacter, but the same may apply. People just do stupid things even when they know better
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024