Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Apprenticeships 17:50 - Jul 24 with 6089 viewsNeath_Jack

Any of you do an apprenticeship?

What discipline was it in, and do you still work as whatever it was you trained in?

Would you recommend your children to partake, or would you try and steer them down an academic route?

I done a plastering apprenticeship, and within 2 months of qualifying, i left the company and I've never worked as a plasterer since (done loads of 'obbles and work for friends and family though).

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Apprenticeships on 21:00 - Jul 25 with 1504 viewsCooperman

Apprenticeships on 13:07 - Jul 25 by Wingstandwood

Indeed, bang on, 100% correct there! They tend to pick and choose what work they want and do not want and all dependant on whatever way their mood takes them. Nothing worse than a broken promise and staying in all day for nobody to turn up. And repeatedly at that! Is it any surprise why so many now pay for boiler repair and maintenance schemes.

It's frustrating stuff especially for the elderly who tend to suffer most when plumbing/central heating emergencies happen. One of the worst call out problems is trying to get a gas fire fixed, it took me months to get a plumber out and that was only because (forced to) I sourced the appliances 'spark igniter generator' myself. Apparently gas fires are bottom of the list stuff.

I have since found an organisation that may be able to get a better resolve for elderly relatives in the future by means of recommending or facilitating a trustworthy reliable plumber.
https://www.careandrepair.org.uk/en/your-area/western-bay-care-repair/services/

Checkertrade is your friend at when needs must.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Apprenticeships on 21:10 - Jul 25 with 1493 viewsraynor94

Apprenticeships on 08:45 - Jul 25 by swan65split

Port Talbot?

Yes, CES

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Apprenticeships on 21:18 - Jul 25 with 1487 viewsvetchonian

Did an apprenticeshio in elecreical engineering ag BSC Velindre.spent 5 years oost apprenticeship on rhe tools at Trostre befote leavibg to work for other organisations at various levels getti g my HNC and other qualifications on the way....eventually moved into production and operations mabagenent ...but stiilm use my electrical skills at tines to support our engineering teams...though technology had moved at a fast pace over the last 40 years. I was lucky Velindre gave a good apprenticeship....and some guys wre sponsored to go on to uni.....if i had kids id be happy for them to follow the apprentice route as ut is akways possible to take up a degree after it. My aporenticeship taught me lots

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Apprenticeships on 21:38 - Jul 25 with 1473 viewsWingstandwood

Apprenticeships on 21:00 - Jul 25 by Cooperman

Checkertrade is your friend at when needs must.

Thanks for that, I have saved the link!

Bit of advice for anyone with a gas fire i.e. no-leak batteries are preferential for all spark igniter generator units because the leaking variety (especially during long periods of no-usage) can ruin the unit they're enclosed within. It happened to me.

Argus!

Apprenticeships on 21:51 - Jul 25 with 1462 viewsWingstandwood

Apprenticeships on 21:18 - Jul 25 by vetchonian

Did an apprenticeshio in elecreical engineering ag BSC Velindre.spent 5 years oost apprenticeship on rhe tools at Trostre befote leavibg to work for other organisations at various levels getti g my HNC and other qualifications on the way....eventually moved into production and operations mabagenent ...but stiilm use my electrical skills at tines to support our engineering teams...though technology had moved at a fast pace over the last 40 years. I was lucky Velindre gave a good apprenticeship....and some guys wre sponsored to go on to uni.....if i had kids id be happy for them to follow the apprentice route as ut is akways possible to take up a degree after it. My aporenticeship taught me lots

There is no greater combination than hands on experience ("on the tools" term) when combined with higher education. IMO hands on experience instills and cultivates common sense and problem solving skills.... Perhaps thats why the likes of Isambard Kingdom Brunel became the genius he did. The ones that have ventured outside of the office and have expanded their minds and talent(s) even further by doing so tend to be the dogs bollocks!

Argus!

Apprenticeships on 07:27 - Jul 26 with 1390 viewsepaul

Apprenticeships on 11:06 - Jul 25 by Darran

I remember him having it all cut off about 1980 he went to Roy Money the barber in Port Talbot.
Ask him. 😂

Will do

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Apprenticeships on 07:41 - Jul 29 with 1302 viewsswan65split

Apprenticeships on 21:10 - Jul 25 by raynor94

Yes, CES

BF and New Harbour.
Apprenticeships on 07:44 - Jul 29 with 1300 viewsswan65split

Apprenticeships on 21:51 - Jul 25 by Wingstandwood

There is no greater combination than hands on experience ("on the tools" term) when combined with higher education. IMO hands on experience instills and cultivates common sense and problem solving skills.... Perhaps thats why the likes of Isambard Kingdom Brunel became the genius he did. The ones that have ventured outside of the office and have expanded their minds and talent(s) even further by doing so tend to be the dogs bollocks!

True, some of the non hands on training have helped in my world away from, and along with engineering taken me to other things, and meeting lots of people from around the world.
Login to get fewer ads

Apprenticeships on 10:02 - Jul 29 with 1254 viewsProfessor

I would be more than happy for my children to go down the apprenticeship route, although my daughter wished to be a midwife which means a degree (hopefully Swansea) and my son is quite academic.

There is a wider issue that the opening and expansion of the University sector has driven them away from vocational programmes and the HND/HNC route to populist degree programmes. Ideally an apprenticeship should be looking at the HNC/HND and on to part time degrees for those capable with proper hands-on experience. This used to be the route of those working in hospital labs. Now it is graduate entry. The same could apply to many health-related jobs as well as those in engineering, manufacturing and even hospitality. This was the bread and butter of the old polytechnics and HE institutes. We do not respect or value vocational training enough. For many this would be more suitable. Even in a supposedly premier' Russell Group" university I get students for BSc projects who should not be there.
Apprenticeships on 10:06 - Jul 29 with 1251 viewsWingstandwood

Apprenticeships on 07:44 - Jul 29 by swan65split

True, some of the non hands on training have helped in my world away from, and along with engineering taken me to other things, and meeting lots of people from around the world.

I've always considered engineering to be the profession for real thinkers and problem solvers. Regimented thinking processes, rigid thinking processes and one dimensional thinking processes may be all that is required for some professions, but with engineering an expansive and analytical mind is a must.

Argus!

Apprenticeships on 10:35 - Jul 29 with 1235 views3swan

I did my apprenticeship many years ago and times have changed but my views haven't. A well run apprenticeship is much more of a benefit to many school leavers than a university course. The plus points of specific hands on training coupled with academic release outweighs a university course only for many industries.
Apprenticeships on 10:52 - Jul 29 with 1230 viewscontroversial_jack

Apprenticeships on 10:35 - Jul 29 by 3swan

I did my apprenticeship many years ago and times have changed but my views haven't. A well run apprenticeship is much more of a benefit to many school leavers than a university course. The plus points of specific hands on training coupled with academic release outweighs a university course only for many industries.

Companies want graduates. Can't get a decent paying job without a degree , even if it's not in the relevant field
Apprenticeships on 11:03 - Jul 29 with 1227 views3swan

Apprenticeships on 10:52 - Jul 29 by controversial_jack

Companies want graduates. Can't get a decent paying job without a degree , even if it's not in the relevant field

Many companies use a degree on a CV as a way of HR going through the many applicant they get. It still depends on the job available and have direct knowledge in manufacturing that an apprenticeship with experience has taken preference over a degree
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024