Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Retrospective refereeing. 20:08 - Mar 16 with 6444 viewssmoulder

Cannot for the life of me understand why non Premier league clubs are not allowed the luxury of VAR for a quarter final of the FA Cup. Surely that's prejudiced, considering all games should be played on a level footing. Tonight's refereeing was disgusting two proper awful decisions, especially the penalty, the ref from an obstructed view, puts the whistle to his mouth quicker than a brass in a brothel !!
Surely some retrospective reffing could be dealt out by the dodgy decisions panel, and deduct the two incorrect goals awarded by the officials.....in the name of fair play even......ffs
Retrospective refereeing. on 23:00 - Mar 16 with 1282 viewsSwansNZ

What facilities do you need to have VAR?
A few cameras and a monitor would do the trick.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Retrospective refereeing. on 23:09 - Mar 16 with 1267 viewsTenbySwan

Retrospective refereeing. on 22:48 - Mar 16 by Garyjack

That's not evening things up though is it? That's a blatant attempt to infrluence the referee wouldn't you say?

I did say 'in their eyes'

I think you are splitting hairs mate.
Retrospective refereeing. on 00:37 - Mar 17 with 1226 viewsvalleyboy

Retrospective refereeing. on 20:40 - Mar 16 by theloneranger

So how do you know Swans voted against VAR??

"A minimum of 14 clubs had to agree to the proposal for it to be requested, though the Premier League did not disclose if there were any dissenters."

It was repeated by the commentator on BT tonight

First read about Swansea rejecting using VAR on icwales. With the main comment being that they were surprised that Swansea had rejected using VAR. As they were a club that had been involved in some bad decisions over the years

Also Pep Guardiola said tonight that you can blame the clubs that voted against it for Man City’s lucky win, but he only mentioned Man U and Chelsea that voted against it
Retrospective refereeing. on 00:47 - Mar 17 with 1217 viewsNeathJack

Retrospective refereeing. on 00:37 - Mar 17 by valleyboy

First read about Swansea rejecting using VAR on icwales. With the main comment being that they were surprised that Swansea had rejected using VAR. As they were a club that had been involved in some bad decisions over the years

Also Pep Guardiola said tonight that you can blame the clubs that voted against it for Man City’s lucky win, but he only mentioned Man U and Chelsea that voted against it

Please provide a link to him saying that. Not that it has any relevance to the FA's ludicrous decision not to have VAR in place for the game.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2019 0:50]
Retrospective refereeing. on 00:49 - Mar 17 with 1216 viewsPozuelosSideys

Retrospective refereeing. on 00:37 - Mar 17 by valleyboy

Well blaming Man Utd and Chelsea for voting against implementing VAR in the PL is utter bollox for a start as this was an FA Cup game and VAR was being used in the other games played today, so...

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Retrospective refereeing. on 12:24 - Mar 17 with 1103 viewsvalleyboy

Retrospective refereeing. on 00:47 - Mar 17 by NeathJack

Please provide a link to him saying that. Not that it has any relevance to the FA's ludicrous decision not to have VAR in place for the game.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2019 0:50]

If you have recorded the game, then play it back just after Manchester City scored the third goal

The point I was making to the Lone Ranger, that if this VAR descision was done by a secret vote. Then why did Guardiola also mention Man U and Chelsea in his after match comment

Perhaps it was a case of him been polite to Swansea in not mentioning them, especially that Man City had got away with scoring not one goal but two

As a matter of interest

Does the word “taxi” have a connection with you
Retrospective refereeing. on 12:32 - Mar 17 with 1089 viewstheloneranger

Retrospective refereeing. on 12:24 - Mar 17 by valleyboy

If you have recorded the game, then play it back just after Manchester City scored the third goal

The point I was making to the Lone Ranger, that if this VAR descision was done by a secret vote. Then why did Guardiola also mention Man U and Chelsea in his after match comment

Perhaps it was a case of him been polite to Swansea in not mentioning them, especially that Man City had got away with scoring not one goal but two

As a matter of interest

Does the word “taxi” have a connection with you

No way did any commentator state that the Swans had voted against VAR.

After Man City scored their 3rd goal, Ian Darke said that Man City had voted for VAR and approx 14 Premier League sides had voted against it!!

Plus are you looking into your Aberdare crystal ball or guessing that Pep didn't mention the Swans voting against VAR??

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Retrospective refereeing. on 12:32 - Mar 17 with 1089 viewsvalleyboy

Retrospective refereeing. on 00:49 - Mar 17 by PozuelosSideys

Well blaming Man Utd and Chelsea for voting against implementing VAR in the PL is utter bollox for a start as this was an FA Cup game and VAR was being used in the other games played today, so...

As I said in my last post.

Perhaps Guardiola was having a dig at Swansea for them voting against VAR in the first place

Very rarely will a manager come out straight away after a match and mention about the host team and say something like “serve you right for voting against VAR”

To me it was a disguised statement in him mentioning Man U and Chelsea but was also poking the finger at Swansea in what he said

That’s one thing above all else is that he doesn’t mince his wirds
Login to get fewer ads

Retrospective refereeing. on 12:50 - Mar 17 with 1057 viewsGaryjack

Retrospective refereeing. on 23:09 - Mar 16 by TenbySwan

I did say 'in their eyes'

I think you are splitting hairs mate.

Just checked, you said nothing of the sort!

But i'll let you off withy a caution this time.
Retrospective refereeing. on 12:51 - Mar 17 with 1054 viewsTailGunner

Retrospective refereeing. on 12:32 - Mar 17 by valleyboy

Perhaps Guardiola was having a dig at Swansea for them voting against VAR in the first place

Very rarely will a manager come out straight away after a match and mention about the host team and say something like “serve you right for voting against VAR”

To me it was a disguised statement in him mentioning Man U and Chelsea but was also poking the finger at Swansea in what he said

Never disappointed by Valley boy

Manages to have a dig at us after that magnificent effort.

Like watching paint dry aren't we..,
Retrospective refereeing. on 12:52 - Mar 17 with 1052 viewstheloneranger

Pep said in his interview ... "Why is VAR not here, so, is a question for the authorities"

There was no dig at the Swans.

Retrospective refereeing. on 12:54 - Mar 17 with 1050 viewsGaryjack

Surely if he 'doesn't mince his words' he would have come straight out and said Swansea voted against it wouldn't he?
Retrospective refereeing. on 13:14 - Mar 17 with 1014 viewsploppy

Retrospective refereeing. on 12:54 - Mar 17 by Garyjack

Surely if he 'doesn't mince his words' he would have come straight out and said Swansea voted against it wouldn't he?

There was no "vote" for the FA Cup. PL grounds only.
Retrospective refereeing. on 13:23 - Mar 17 with 1003 viewsJohnw102

Retrospective refereeing. on 21:58 - Mar 16 by jewsonjack

ref gave it. the lino didn't signal at all

Correction I was over that side and lino indicated for a split second with his flag to the corner flag indicating CVR had touched the ball, withdrew it as soon as ref gave pen. Lacked bottle to stand by his first instinctive reaction, same as he was in a different time zone when the offside winner was scored. I am no fan of Marriner but he was let down by that prat.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Retrospective refereeing. on 13:25 - Mar 17 with 998 viewsGaryjack

Retrospective refereeing. on 13:14 - Mar 17 by ploppy

There was no "vote" for the FA Cup. PL grounds only.

Thanks, but i never said there was!
Retrospective refereeing. on 13:35 - Mar 17 with 975 viewsploppy

Retrospective refereeing. on 13:25 - Mar 17 by Garyjack

Thanks, but i never said there was!

It's OK, didn't say you did. Just clarifying - we did vote against VAR for the PL, but at least it's the same for every match the PL. You have the ludicrous situation in the quarter finals of the FA Cup that some matches have VAR and others don't. At least be consistent - if one match is going to be run by incompetent officials then they all should be.
Retrospective refereeing. on 13:38 - Mar 17 with 966 viewsGaryjack

Retrospective refereeing. on 13:35 - Mar 17 by ploppy

It's OK, didn't say you did. Just clarifying - we did vote against VAR for the PL, but at least it's the same for every match the PL. You have the ludicrous situation in the quarter finals of the FA Cup that some matches have VAR and others don't. At least be consistent - if one match is going to be run by incompetent officials then they all should be.

Indeed, whichever way you look at it, in all probability if VAR had been available last night then we would be planning our trip to Wembley.
Retrospective refereeing. on 13:44 - Mar 17 with 953 viewsJBT95

Retrospective refereeing. on 22:32 - Mar 16 by Luther27

Ending in Laporte hitting one of ours in front of the ref ending in a yellow instead of a red card.

He should've been booked already though.
Retrospective refereeing. on 14:14 - Mar 17 with 919 viewsvalleyboy

Retrospective refereeing. on 13:23 - Mar 17 by Johnw102

Correction I was over that side and lino indicated for a split second with his flag to the corner flag indicating CVR had touched the ball, withdrew it as soon as ref gave pen. Lacked bottle to stand by his first instinctive reaction, same as he was in a different time zone when the offside winner was scored. I am no fan of Marriner but he was let down by that prat.

I think that if you check the highlights and to be fair to the linesman. At no time did he point for a corner kick, but in fact put his flag down pointing in the other direction

It was Mariner’s decision and his alone
Retrospective refereeing. on 14:20 - Mar 17 with 909 viewsvalleyboy

Retrospective refereeing. on 12:32 - Mar 17 by theloneranger

No way did any commentator state that the Swans had voted against VAR.

After Man City scored their 3rd goal, Ian Darke said that Man City had voted for VAR and approx 14 Premier League sides had voted against it!!

Plus are you looking into your Aberdare crystal ball or guessing that Pep didn't mention the Swans voting against VAR??

“No way did a commentator state that the Swans had voted against VAR”

In fact I have just checked and in fact it was said twice In that game
Retrospective refereeing. on 14:28 - Mar 17 with 899 viewstheloneranger

Retrospective refereeing. on 13:44 - Mar 17 by JBT95

He should've been booked already though.

It showed Dan's inexperience last night on approx 50 mins? when he raced through on the left hand side with Laporte the next defender, but Dan turned into traffic on the inside.

When with more experience he would have gone passed Laporte on the outside, giving the defender massive problems with him being already on a yellow.

Laporte should definately have had a yellow in the first half and then would have been sent off at halftime, but if it that had happened then Marriner would have sh1t out at halftime.

This is not a criticism of Dan in what I've written above.

Retrospective refereeing. on 14:32 - Mar 17 with 896 viewsPozuelosSideys

Retrospective refereeing. on 14:28 - Mar 17 by theloneranger

It showed Dan's inexperience last night on approx 50 mins? when he raced through on the left hand side with Laporte the next defender, but Dan turned into traffic on the inside.

When with more experience he would have gone passed Laporte on the outside, giving the defender massive problems with him being already on a yellow.

Laporte should definately have had a yellow in the first half and then would have been sent off at halftime, but if it that had happened then Marriner would have sh1t out at halftime.

This is not a criticism of Dan in what I've written above.

See, you recognise that a player like Dan has the tools to be a superb player, but lacks experience and is only part-way through his development - much like a number of other players in the squad. Its why our fans need to cut them slack - it was shown up against WBA. Dominated, but came up short. Lots of good prospects, but they need time. If they were further along, theyd be sat on the benches of PL clubs

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Retrospective refereeing. on 14:42 - Mar 17 with 877 viewswestwalesed

Retrospective refereeing. on 21:08 - Mar 16 by bluey_the_blue

So its then conditional as to how it can be enabled?

Bedlington Terriers have a magical cup run, making it to quarter-finals. Lose to Swansea due to a blatant foul by VDH, where he chops off the attackers legs with a chainsaw in the box. Ref rules it happened outside, no VAR.

Swansea then draw away to Liverpool in the semi-finals, for purposes of the example played at Anfield. VDH, emboldened by getting away with amputation tries the same thing this time on Salah. Aha! This time VAR is present, wham, Dutchie passes on the left hand side as he trots back to dressing room, Swansea eliminated after penalty given.

And... what if all teams left in fifth round don't have VAR facilitiies - it would never be used in the cup?

The problem with VAR is it's ok for the top teams who have the facilities. It's ok for leagues that are static, ie MLS. Other than that, it's a two tier approach between have and have nots which is one of the fundamental problems with VAR. A bad decision is a bad decision regardless of the level it occurs at. You can either try to make all decisions correct at all levels or just accept official errors are part of the game in the same way player errors are. A half and half approach isn't something I'm comfortable with.

Late to this thread but an outstanding post. I was trying to say this to my mates yesterday - you literally have two forms of the game within the same competition! If the exact scenario had been reversed yesterday, we were at the Ethihad, Citeh win 2-1. It’s ridiculous.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Retrospective refereeing. on 19:26 - Mar 17 with 791 viewsTNT

Retrospective refereeing. on 20:38 - Mar 16 by Garyjack

The linesman didn't raise his flag for the pen, he was in a better position, yet Mariner didn't consult him.

Agree.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Retrospective refereeing. on 21:27 - Mar 17 with 740 viewsFlashberryjack

Retrospective refereeing. on 20:25 - Mar 16 by ploppy

TBH, I don't think it's "big team decisions". It's just incompetent officiating.

Marriner was in an awful position for the pen - there's no way he had a clear view. So either he guessed, or the lino gave it. Then again, if Sterling doesn't go down like he's been shot, they don't get the pen. So basically, the pen is a combination of cheating and poor officiating. What gets me is that it probably didn't cross Marriner's mind that Sterling might have dived.

Aguero's goal is offside - plain and simple. That's the lino's fault. Again, just incompetence.

And that lino is the epitome of incompetence,

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024