Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Pitch 19:59 - Jan 22 with 51992 viewskiwidale

This time last year a decision was made to dig up the pitch and lay a new one it seemed at the time a bold move but a proactive one. Today its becoming apparent the pitch is a write off or is it? no communication from the club leads to speculation. Ive only seen the pics you have seen it close up so is it worse than last year? is it worse than it looks or better than it seems? will it be played on again?
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 20:01]

This is not the time for bickering.

The Pitch on 17:23 - Jan 23 with 3525 viewsD_Alien

The Pitch on 17:01 - Jan 23 by kiwidale

Just woke up with coffee in hand expecting to see a statement from the club about the pitch but its only been 4 days. I accept that they cant tell us what they don't know or is it that they cant be arsed?

Serves you right for falling asleep before you've finished your coffee

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The Pitch on 17:35 - Jan 23 with 3480 viewsR17ALE

The Pitch on 15:28 - Jan 23 by rochedale

Of course water travels through sand, this is the reason why turf is often laid on sand. The pitch last year was laid on sand, you would have to guess the factor here is the lack of expert maintenance of the pitch. That, with the poor weather have provided us with a crap pitch. We never had this problem with that Olly fella, maybe we should offer him a couple more grand than he’s on at his present employer and get him back?

You're thinking of Fibre Sand which is totally different to the sand we've applied which is more like the sand you find in bunkers of golf courses.

Next time you're on a golf course after it's been raining the only place you'll find puddles is in the bunkers!

EDIT: And, for the record, this time last year the new pitch was a soil based pitch.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 20:26]

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

The Pitch on 17:39 - Jan 23 with 3465 viewskiwidale

The Pitch on 17:21 - Jan 23 by mingthemerciless

That's the story I heard. The sand used wasn't ideal for the purpose.

I would expect the groundsman was following expert advise from the company that laid it he (groundsman) would be fully aware of the problem that laying sand caused last year.,Maybe there is more to this story to come perhaps this is why there is nothing coming from the club for legal reasons?

The Pitch on 17:46 - Jan 23 with 3441 viewskiwidale

The Pitch on 17:35 - Jan 23 by R17ALE

You're thinking of Fibre Sand which is totally different to the sand we've applied which is more like the sand you find in bunkers of golf courses.

Next time you're on a golf course after it's been raining the only place you'll find puddles is in the bunkers!

EDIT: And, for the record, this time last year the new pitch was a soil based pitch.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 20:26]

If this is correct then questions need to be asked of the groundsman its inexplicable that he would use the wrong sand? I would assume the company that laid the pitch would have a detailed maintenance manual and full training for the groundsman would have been part of the contract.

The Pitch on 18:53 - Jan 23 with 3341 views49thseason

The Pitch on 17:46 - Jan 23 by kiwidale

If this is correct then questions need to be asked of the groundsman its inexplicable that he would use the wrong sand? I would assume the company that laid the pitch would have a detailed maintenance manual and full training for the groundsman would have been part of the contract.

Hmm, there's that word ...assume. You might assume that a new pitch would last longer than 11 months, you might assume that the "Groundsman" knows about the science of soil structure. You might assume that the club thought it wise to add ongoing maintenance and upkeep to the contract, you might even assume that everyone knew the weather in Rochdale is just about the worst in the country for rain and lack of sunshine. It's not the expectation that kills you, it's assuming that something is the case when the evidence suggests it isn't. This debacle is just another symptom of the shoddy day-to-day management you get when all the company directors have got a living to earn elsewhere.
The Pitch on 19:29 - Jan 23 with 3272 viewsdingdangblue

The Pitch on 17:21 - Jan 23 by mingthemerciless

That's the story I heard. The sand used wasn't ideal for the purpose.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The Pitch on 19:34 - Jan 23 with 3250 viewsdingdangblue

The Pitch on 17:46 - Jan 23 by kiwidale

"Full training for the groundsman"?

I would hope that the main person we employed to look after and maintain a professional football league pitch would be fully trained up already with the adequate university qualifications.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

The Pitch on 19:41 - Jan 23 with 3229 viewsvisualman

I have just seen some glimpses of our training pitch on Twitter can we not use that pitch for our matches? Or even transfer the grass to COA
Maybe not but this ground is not far away from COA and the pitch is miles better then what we play on
Who looks after this pitch ?
And why the big difference this gets trained on and used a lot more
Login to get fewer ads

The Pitch on 19:56 - Jan 23 with 3193 viewsmingthemerciless

The Pitch on 19:34 - Jan 23 by dingdangblue

"Full training for the groundsman"?

I would hope that the main person we employed to look after and maintain a professional football league pitch would be fully trained up already with the adequate university qualifications.

When you're laying the grass - green side up.
The Pitch on 19:59 - Jan 23 with 3183 views49thseason

The Pitch on 19:41 - Jan 23 by visualman

I have just seen some glimpses of our training pitch on Twitter can we not use that pitch for our matches? Or even transfer the grass to COA
Maybe not but this ground is not far away from COA and the pitch is miles better then what we play on
Who looks after this pitch ?
And why the big difference this gets trained on and used a lot more

That's Platt Lane in Manchester, former Man City Academy ground.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/man-city-bid-fond-farewell-8118460
The Pitch on 20:29 - Jan 23 with 3136 viewsrobtheb

I'm puzzled. When they removed the covers on Saturday morning was the pitch waterlogged then or did it happen with the rain/sleet we had later?

I live not to far from the ground and from memory we did not have deluge of rain on Saturday morning, surely not enough to waterlog the pitch.
The Pitch on 20:58 - Jan 23 with 3069 viewsdingdangblue

The Pitch on 20:29 - Jan 23 by robtheb

I'm puzzled. When they removed the covers on Saturday morning was the pitch waterlogged then or did it happen with the rain/sleet we had later?

I live not to far from the ground and from memory we did not have deluge of rain on Saturday morning, surely not enough to waterlog the pitch.

Is there anyone on here who helped remove the pitch covers? Was it quite obvious straight away that the pitch was fooked at that point?

The Pitch on 21:54 - Jan 23 with 2985 viewsmikehunt

Was it freshly laid when we played MKDons in a pre-season friendly a couple of seasons ago,and a sliding tackle went in that scraped a long roll of turf up? It wasn't the usual type of damage that one sees during a game. I thought that did not bode well at the time.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

The Pitch on 22:28 - Jan 23 with 2923 viewskiwidale

The Pitch on 21:54 - Jan 23 by mikehunt

Was it freshly laid when we played MKDons in a pre-season friendly a couple of seasons ago,and a sliding tackle went in that scraped a long roll of turf up? It wasn't the usual type of damage that one sees during a game. I thought that did not bode well at the time.

I could be miles out here but wasn't that pitch freshly laid pre season after extensive work done replacing the old drains with new ones? it cut up badly as you mention and didn't we have to relay the same pitch midway through last season about this time? I seem to recall more than one new pitch and new drains.

The Pitch on 10:08 - Jan 24 with 2771 viewsmingthemerciless

Just when you could do with a dry spell I wake up to more incessant rain !
The Pitch on 10:51 - Jan 24 with 2736 viewsdingdangblue

The Pitch on 10:08 - Jan 24 by mingthemerciless

Just when you could do with a dry spell I wake up to more incessant rain !

Just seen a pic of the pitch on Facebook and it'll be a miracle if we play on that current surface again this season! It's flooded.

The Pitch on 11:05 - Jan 24 with 2713 viewsSandyDrum

The Pitch on 10:51 - Jan 24 by dingdangblue

Just seen a pic of the pitch on Facebook and it'll be a miracle if we play on that current surface again this season! It's flooded.

I've seen the same photograph.

We will not be playing on that pitch again this season, it is completely ruined.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

The Pitch on 11:08 - Jan 24 with 2703 viewsKenBoon

Can you post or link to the image?
The Pitch on 11:16 - Jan 24 with 2683 viewsSandyDrum

The Pitch on 11:08 - Jan 24 by KenBoon

Can you post or link to the image?

Not from my work computer, maybe DDB can oblige?

The Pitch on 11:23 - Jan 24 with 2645 viewsdingdangblue

The Pitch on 11:16 - Jan 24 by SandyDrum

Not from my work computer, maybe DDB can oblige?

SandyDrum will post the pic any minute now 👍🏻
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 11:41]

The Pitch on 11:27 - Jan 24 with 2632 viewsSandyDrum

The Pitch on 11:23 - Jan 24 by dingdangblue

SandyDrum will post the pic any minute now 👍🏻
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 11:41]

The Pitch on 11:41 - Jan 24 with 2584 viewsmingthemerciless

It's an unprecedented situation in my experience. I heard a rumour a while ago that serious consideration was being given to asking Lincoln to switch that cup game to their ground but I didn't take it seriously ! As it was the game was played at Spotland so I didn't comment at the time.

I remember in the big freeze of the 1962-63 season Widnes rugby league team got so fed up with the pitch being frozen solid they contacted ICI, who were based in Widnes, to see if they had any chemicals that could be used to defrost the pitch. ICI said they had. They applied a load of the chemicals to the pitch, this did the trick but unfortunately it killed all the grass !
The Pitch on 11:43 - Jan 24 with 2575 viewsToffeemanc

The Pitch on 11:27 - Jan 24 by SandyDrum

Looking at that we may well end up playing our "Home" games away from Spotland for a while this season.

Also looks like we could easily end up playing 2 games a week every week from March just to fulfill fixtures.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

The Pitch on 11:47 - Jan 24 with 2547 viewsmingthemerciless

Latest message on the Jungle Drums is that consideration is being given to approaching Lancashire Cricket Club with a view to borrowing the equipment they use to suck up water from the cricket square at Old Trafford.
The Pitch on 11:48 - Jan 24 with 2545 viewsaleanddale

The Pitch on 11:27 - Jan 24 by SandyDrum

How on earth do you put that right?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024