Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Night out in portsmouth 20:10 - Oct 2 with 2613 views100569

Okay people I know their are a few going down to Portsmouth and staying over but whos done their homework in this regard and can give us a few pointers as to where to go at night and where to avoid etc .
Night out in portsmouth on 21:42 - Oct 2 with 2531 viewsR17ALE

Former Portsmouth fan turned Dale has emailed me today to offer some advice. His email is below.

5 years since my last match at Fratton Park, so I am a little bit out of touch.

However I have spoken with three guys I know who are still regulars and indeed one of them is on their Trust Board.

Everybody I have spoken with has confirmed what I thought, that the “bad old days” are long gone — unless Southampton are coming to town! They have all said that there really aren’t any pubs to avoid and that you would have to really go looking for and want trouble very badly to find any!

Back in my day, Pompey (fans) had a dreadful relationship with Oxford (fans) and I recall seeing some really nasty fights at and around both Fratton and the Manor Ground. By all accounts, as a mark of how things have changed, there were around 150 Oxford fans drinking with around 200 Pompey fans in The Shepherd's Crook (see below) before the first game of the season and not a hint of any trouble.

A couple of recommendations for you. One is the above mentioned Shepherd's Crook and this is the one I would go for. It is I think the closest pub to the ground and by all accounts does a decent pint.

http://www.theshepherdscrook.co.uk/#!home/mainPage

Second is The Good Companion. More of a chain pub so not sure the beer will be as good, and perhaps a bit “plastic” but it does have the advantage of a big car park, which they may let you use (?) while you go to the game and you also have to pass it on your way to the ground.

http://www.gkflamegrill.co.uk/locations/good-companion-portsmouth

One definite piece of advice for you is to get your tickets early! The Pompey ticket office has always been shite and by all accounts still is. Not enough room/staff to deal with the demand on a match day as they have these electronic turnstiles so all the walk up trade, including away fans has to queue for bloody ages to get a ticket and then go back and queue at the turnstiles — there’s progress! I am going to get mine tomorrow and save all the aggro!

Shout if you need anything else. I may well head to The Shepherds Crook myself if I have time. It will be nice to be able to have a pint at football and not worry about driving! First ever Dale game I'm going to walk to!

I don’t know about you, but I am still glowing after Saturday and some of the football we played in the first half hour? I have my feet firmly on the ground for this season. Hilly is rebuilding and we are still a work in progress, but all the signs are there that he is on the right lines and if we play like that first half hour on anything like a regular basis — who knows!

See you on Saturday.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Night out in portsmouth on 10:03 - Oct 3 with 2358 viewsDorsetDale

Night out in portsmouth on 21:42 - Oct 2 by R17ALE

Former Portsmouth fan turned Dale has emailed me today to offer some advice. His email is below.

5 years since my last match at Fratton Park, so I am a little bit out of touch.

However I have spoken with three guys I know who are still regulars and indeed one of them is on their Trust Board.

Everybody I have spoken with has confirmed what I thought, that the “bad old days” are long gone — unless Southampton are coming to town! They have all said that there really aren’t any pubs to avoid and that you would have to really go looking for and want trouble very badly to find any!

Back in my day, Pompey (fans) had a dreadful relationship with Oxford (fans) and I recall seeing some really nasty fights at and around both Fratton and the Manor Ground. By all accounts, as a mark of how things have changed, there were around 150 Oxford fans drinking with around 200 Pompey fans in The Shepherd's Crook (see below) before the first game of the season and not a hint of any trouble.

A couple of recommendations for you. One is the above mentioned Shepherd's Crook and this is the one I would go for. It is I think the closest pub to the ground and by all accounts does a decent pint.

http://www.theshepherdscrook.co.uk/#!home/mainPage

Second is The Good Companion. More of a chain pub so not sure the beer will be as good, and perhaps a bit “plastic” but it does have the advantage of a big car park, which they may let you use (?) while you go to the game and you also have to pass it on your way to the ground.

http://www.gkflamegrill.co.uk/locations/good-companion-portsmouth

One definite piece of advice for you is to get your tickets early! The Pompey ticket office has always been shite and by all accounts still is. Not enough room/staff to deal with the demand on a match day as they have these electronic turnstiles so all the walk up trade, including away fans has to queue for bloody ages to get a ticket and then go back and queue at the turnstiles — there’s progress! I am going to get mine tomorrow and save all the aggro!

Shout if you need anything else. I may well head to The Shepherds Crook myself if I have time. It will be nice to be able to have a pint at football and not worry about driving! First ever Dale game I'm going to walk to!

I don’t know about you, but I am still glowing after Saturday and some of the football we played in the first half hour? I have my feet firmly on the ground for this season. Hilly is rebuilding and we are still a work in progress, but all the signs are there that he is on the right lines and if we play like that first half hour on anything like a regular basis — who knows!

See you on Saturday.

Interesting website provided by Shepherds Crook, that's where I'll be heading. Thanks for posting Razz

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Night out in portsmouth on 21:19 - Oct 3 with 2084 viewsArthurHucksake

Night out in portsmouth on 10:03 - Oct 3 by DorsetDale

Interesting website provided by Shepherds Crook, that's where I'll be heading. Thanks for posting Razz

Pompey fan here, avoid guildhall walk, a bit like Beirut at the weekends'.

I know for sure you are he. No question about it. You are rude, agressive and angry just like doc was. You fool no one lambkins.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024