Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes: Test 2 10:28 - Jul 18 with 6123 viewsDaley_Lama

England win the toss and bat.

Bresnan in for Finn for England

Khawaja in for Cowans
Harris in for Stark

Poll: DF in or out

Ashes: Test 2 on 17:56 - Jul 20 with 974 viewsdilligas

Ashes: Test 2 on 17:49 - Jul 20 by ChaffRAFC

Got a lead of 540 now, Root not out 159, struggling to think why we haven't put them in yet to face a few overs before the close of play.

They'll let root get 200 then declare or declare when he's out
Ashes: Test 2 on 18:00 - Jul 20 with 949 views442Dale

There will be quite a few involved in English cricket who wouldn't want Australia to go in and lose two or three wickets ahead of tomorrow. Tests finishing earlier means less revenue on the day and amongst fans thinking of buying tickets for day 5 of future tests.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ashes: Test 2 on 18:27 - Jul 20 with 927 viewsTalkingSutty

Glad we didnt declare, lets grind the Aussies into the dirt and really demoralise them. They made us suffer enough over the years.

Bat for an hour in the morning and then put them in for a tricky 50 mins before lunch.
Ashes: Test 2 on 21:50 - Jul 20 with 888 viewsSandyman

Ashes: Test 2 on 18:27 - Jul 20 by TalkingSutty

Glad we didnt declare, lets grind the Aussies into the dirt and really demoralise them. They made us suffer enough over the years.

Bat for an hour in the morning and then put them in for a tricky 50 mins before lunch.

This
Ashes: Test 2 on 18:45 - Jul 21 with 835 viewsD_Alien

Thank fook for that!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ashes: Test 2 on 18:48 - Jul 21 with 825 viewsSuddenLad

Again, the Aussie tail-enders made their 'real' batsmen look like a bunch of clowns.

Biggest ever winning margin for an England side against Australia - until the next Test.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Ashes: Test 2 on 19:36 - Jul 21 with 789 viewsmacro

People scoffed at Botham saying 10-0 over the two series but at this rate...
Ashes: Test 2 on 21:01 - Jul 21 with 766 viewsColDale

If I was an Aussie, I'd be worried at the fact that England haven't been firing on all cylinders as of yet. We know the Aussie problems, but we're still waiting for the England batting line up to click. They've had England on the ropes in both innings and still been well and truly crushed.

Will be interesting what happens after the Ashes. There has to be some sort of reaction from Cricket Australia if this series continues to go the way it is doing. They've can't just go into a home series without major changes if they've just been on the back of a 4 or 5-nil series defeat but it will be changes for changes sake. Lehmann can't be blamed and Clarke is possibly their one player who would make it into a combined England / Aussie XI. If they've anything about them, they should start preparation for the home series from tomorrow morning and accept this series defeat. But I expect the Micky Arthur stuff to drag on, and I reckon Clarke will call it a day after this series. Any sort of reaction to a hammering over here could simply weaken them rather than strengthen them.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes: Test 2 on 21:22 - Jul 21 with 747 viewsTalkingSutty

Ashes: Test 2 on 21:01 - Jul 21 by ColDale

If I was an Aussie, I'd be worried at the fact that England haven't been firing on all cylinders as of yet. We know the Aussie problems, but we're still waiting for the England batting line up to click. They've had England on the ropes in both innings and still been well and truly crushed.

Will be interesting what happens after the Ashes. There has to be some sort of reaction from Cricket Australia if this series continues to go the way it is doing. They've can't just go into a home series without major changes if they've just been on the back of a 4 or 5-nil series defeat but it will be changes for changes sake. Lehmann can't be blamed and Clarke is possibly their one player who would make it into a combined England / Aussie XI. If they've anything about them, they should start preparation for the home series from tomorrow morning and accept this series defeat. But I expect the Micky Arthur stuff to drag on, and I reckon Clarke will call it a day after this series. Any sort of reaction to a hammering over here could simply weaken them rather than strengthen them.

Good point about England not performing to their maximum, i would put them at about 75% at the moment.

Whenever England play in their own back garden its always a big advantage so that has to be factored in, the conditions always give us a big advantage.

I actually think that us giving the Aussies a good hiding will galvanise them to come out fighting when we play them down under. I would expect a backlash and should our players take them lightly i wouldnt be surprised to see us come unstuck.

I dont think this series will have any bearing on what happens during the winter down under, the Aussies will be smarting big time which makes them very dangerous!
Ashes: Test 2 on 21:27 - Jul 21 with 741 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes: Test 2 on 21:22 - Jul 21 by TalkingSutty

Good point about England not performing to their maximum, i would put them at about 75% at the moment.

Whenever England play in their own back garden its always a big advantage so that has to be factored in, the conditions always give us a big advantage.

I actually think that us giving the Aussies a good hiding will galvanise them to come out fighting when we play them down under. I would expect a backlash and should our players take them lightly i wouldnt be surprised to see us come unstuck.

I dont think this series will have any bearing on what happens during the winter down under, the Aussies will be smarting big time which makes them very dangerous!

Do you think the conditions have played such a big part so far?

For most of the nine days played in The Ashes, we've had blazing hot sunshine and bone hard pitches.

If anything, the conditions have been more Australian than English so far.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Ashes: Test 2 on 21:30 - Jul 21 with 732 viewsDaley_Lama

Winning the toss (bowling last) has helped a tad.

Having the only quality spinner on show has helped equally on this.

Overall however, simply being better player for player is the main reason.

Must disagree with Col, I'd also have Siddell in as 3rd bowler ahead of Finn/Bresnan, only just but just enough.

Poll: DF in or out

Ashes: Test 2 on 21:38 - Jul 21 with 729 viewsTalkingSutty

Ashes: Test 2 on 21:27 - Jul 21 by TVOS1907

Do you think the conditions have played such a big part so far?

For most of the nine days played in The Ashes, we've had blazing hot sunshine and bone hard pitches.

If anything, the conditions have been more Australian than English so far.

In both tests the ball has swung around which doesnt tend to happen as much in Australia.

We play with the Duke ball rather than the kookaburra which also helps our bowlers so i would say the conditions have helped us. Its a home test series and they always do.

The Oval could be probably more to the Aussies liking with its extra bounce (or maybe Old Trafford) but the extra factor is Swanns spin which is also another deciding factor on dry crumbling wickets.

The bottom line is we are a better team but to suggest this means we are nailed on to win in Australia is madness, the Aussies will be all out for revenge.
Ashes: Test 2 on 21:49 - Jul 21 with 710 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes: Test 2 on 21:38 - Jul 21 by TalkingSutty

In both tests the ball has swung around which doesnt tend to happen as much in Australia.

We play with the Duke ball rather than the kookaburra which also helps our bowlers so i would say the conditions have helped us. Its a home test series and they always do.

The Oval could be probably more to the Aussies liking with its extra bounce (or maybe Old Trafford) but the extra factor is Swanns spin which is also another deciding factor on dry crumbling wickets.

The bottom line is we are a better team but to suggest this means we are nailed on to win in Australia is madness, the Aussies will be all out for revenge.

You might have a point about the conditions, but I bet if you broke down all 40 of the Aussie wickets to date, most are down to desperately poor technique, poor shot selection and poor decision-making. Take Watson and Rogers this morning, Agar's run out yesterday and their ridiculous use of DRS, as examples which spring immediately to mind.

I partially agree about the winter, but I don't think Australia have the players with the necessary ability to exact any sort of revenge.

I expect to see plenty of empty seats at Brisbane again and also expect many late nights/early mornings enjoying our progress.

Ashes: Test 2 on 21:57 - Jul 21 with 698 viewsTalkingSutty

Ashes: Test 2 on 21:49 - Jul 21 by TVOS1907

You might have a point about the conditions, but I bet if you broke down all 40 of the Aussie wickets to date, most are down to desperately poor technique, poor shot selection and poor decision-making. Take Watson and Rogers this morning, Agar's run out yesterday and their ridiculous use of DRS, as examples which spring immediately to mind.

I partially agree about the winter, but I don't think Australia have the players with the necessary ability to exact any sort of revenge.

I expect to see plenty of empty seats at Brisbane again and also expect many late nights/early mornings enjoying our progress.

Thats a lovely post and almost softens the blow of the upcoming winter, fingers crossed you are right.

Putting conditions to one side, like you state we are a superior side at the moment in all departments but state cricket in Australia is supposedly thriving at the moment and full of young talented cricketers, draft a few of those into the team and with home advantage maybe it could be a different kettle of fish
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Ashes: Test 2 on 22:25 - Jul 21 with 677 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes: Test 2 on 21:57 - Jul 21 by TalkingSutty

Thats a lovely post and almost softens the blow of the upcoming winter, fingers crossed you are right.

Putting conditions to one side, like you state we are a superior side at the moment in all departments but state cricket in Australia is supposedly thriving at the moment and full of young talented cricketers, draft a few of those into the team and with home advantage maybe it could be a different kettle of fish
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

If State cricket is supposedly thriving, why haven't they sent them on this tour?

Ashes: Test 2 on 23:41 - Jul 21 with 650 viewscy74

Ashes: Test 2 on 22:25 - Jul 21 by TVOS1907

If State cricket is supposedly thriving, why haven't they sent them on this tour?

R5l yesterday said that state cricket was struggling with a lack of quality particularly the batters
Ashes: Test 2 on 23:41 - Jul 21 with 650 viewsjudd

Ashes: Test 2 on 22:25 - Jul 21 by TVOS1907

Because it's in a state?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Ashes: Test 2 on 07:25 - Jul 22 with 623 viewsTalkingSutty

Ashes: Test 2 on 23:41 - Jul 21 by cy74

R5l yesterday said that state cricket was struggling with a lack of quality particularly the batters

It was Shane Warne who made the remark about the thriving state of Australian cricket so maybe it should be taken with a large pinch of salt
Ashes: Test 2 on 10:19 - Jul 22 with 598 viewsD_Alien

Ashes: Test 2 on 07:25 - Jul 22 by TalkingSutty

It was Shane Warne who made the remark about the thriving state of Australian cricket so maybe it should be taken with a large pinch of salt

He's bound to put a spin on it, but more than likely he's pulling our legs...

I'm not too sure about the Aussies coming out fighting this winter. They'll be making the right noises about "revenge" etc. but if they fail to knock us over in the first test - and that'll be their best chance since we're notoriously poor starters - I can see heads going down, home crowds losing interest or worse, giving them the bird. They're basically very poor losers.

And lets not forget this England team lost the first test in India and won the series.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024