Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wimbledon 17:44 - Jun 23 with 10240 viewsmodelboydave

Can't remember too many tennis threads - so here goes -

1. Anyone on here going ?

2. Who do you think will win men's singles ?

Il go first - yes tue and wed and djorkovic

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

Wimbledon on 00:44 - Jun 24 with 1654 viewssandylaner1

murray will win it this year

dat mental strength
Wimbledon on 01:39 - Jun 24 with 1629 viewssweetcorn

Wimbledon on 00:44 - Jun 24 by sandylaner1

murray will win it this year

dat mental strength

What do you know about tennis.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Wimbledon on 08:32 - Jun 24 with 1609 viewsSuddenLad

Wimbledon on 20:07 - Jun 23 by ChaffRAFC

That's precisely it for for me. I don't want a British player to win Wimbledon. I don't like Tennis in the slightest but it really p!$$es me off that fans sit there rallying round one person drinking their Robinsons or Pimms and eating their strawberry's and cream going "yay, go on tiger Tim" etc. It annoys me to the point that I find it utterly amusing when Murray fails. Just like with Henman.

OK, I can just about understand the side-swipe at the snobbish 'Pimms & Strawberry Set', but to actually WANT our best player in years to LOSE is baffling.

There are very few players actually capable of winning what is the greatest grass court tennis championship in the world, and one of those players is British. Watching some of the gladiatorial contests is fabulous entertainment and definitely up there with any other of the worlds' top sporting event.

I detest golf and horse racing with a passion. One is as 'bent' a sport as it is possible to be (as recent Godolphin revelations seem to confirm) and the other is just a complete bore - either up close or on TV. Probably different if playing, but still pointless.

That said, I would always want the English/British representatives to beat the opposition - whatever the competition.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Wimbledon on 09:43 - Jun 24 with 1602 viewsmodelboydave

Wimbledon on 08:32 - Jun 24 by SuddenLad

OK, I can just about understand the side-swipe at the snobbish 'Pimms & Strawberry Set', but to actually WANT our best player in years to LOSE is baffling.

There are very few players actually capable of winning what is the greatest grass court tennis championship in the world, and one of those players is British. Watching some of the gladiatorial contests is fabulous entertainment and definitely up there with any other of the worlds' top sporting event.

I detest golf and horse racing with a passion. One is as 'bent' a sport as it is possible to be (as recent Godolphin revelations seem to confirm) and the other is just a complete bore - either up close or on TV. Probably different if playing, but still pointless.

That said, I would always want the English/British representatives to beat the opposition - whatever the competition.

The pims and strawberry imagine is a myth. Most people get their tickets through the public ballot, other queue up for days because they are genuine tennis fans, most of these people are working/middle class.

You do get your Henry's and your Camilla's who get the corporate tickets and the best seats. But it's no different to your executive box, prawn sandwich brigade that Roy Keane highlighted.

Iv queued up a few times in the queue at Wimbledon and most of the people have Been bang on.

Wimbledon on 11:20 - Jun 24 with 1588 viewsTalkingSutty

Wimbledon on 08:32 - Jun 24 by SuddenLad

It makes me laugh when us English suddenly latch onto Murray and start refering to him as "ours" because he suddenly starts being one of the top tennis players in the world.

Murray belongs to Scotland,they have their own feelings towards us lot and vice versa. Everytime Scotland compete at any sport i want them to lose with a passion and i know the majority of Scots feel the same way about us and thats the way it should stay.

I only watch the ladies matches at Wimbledon because some of the players are stunners, thats the only interest i have in tennis.

It all started when i was a young lad with Evonne Goolagong!!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Wimbledon on 11:38 - Jun 24 with 1580 viewspioneer

Wimbledon on 11:20 - Jun 24 by TalkingSutty

It makes me laugh when us English suddenly latch onto Murray and start refering to him as "ours" because he suddenly starts being one of the top tennis players in the world.

Murray belongs to Scotland,they have their own feelings towards us lot and vice versa. Everytime Scotland compete at any sport i want them to lose with a passion and i know the majority of Scots feel the same way about us and thats the way it should stay.

I only watch the ladies matches at Wimbledon because some of the players are stunners, thats the only interest i have in tennis.

So you wanted him to lose in the Olympic final last year?

And you wanted Chris Hoy to fall off his bike (and belgian born Bradley wiggins too)? What about Mo farrah, he was born a few miles further away than Dunblane?

And when it comes down to it wanting Andy to lose means wanting his Serb/swiss/spanish . . . opponenet to win.

There's some odd logic there, . . . but everyone to their own.

Wimbledon on 12:26 - Jun 24 with 1562 viewsSuddenLad

Wimbledon on 11:20 - Jun 24 by TalkingSutty

I haven't 'suddenly latched on' to Murray. He's been around a while and he's improved immeasurably in that time. I will always urge on a British competitor (or competitor representing Britain) to win against a non-British opponent. I ain't bothered whether he's the sort of bloke I'd have a pint with.

Whether it was Singapore-born Terry Butcher and the infamous blood-soaked headband, Australian born Tony Dorigo or any of South African born Allan Lamb, Kevin Petersen, Robin Smith or even Jamaican born Devon Malcolm.

The fact they are representing a home nation is good enough for me.

Wimbledon on 12:39 - Jun 24 with 1555 viewsTalkingSutty

Wimbledon on 12:26 - Jun 24 by SuddenLad

I haven't 'suddenly latched on' to Murray. He's been around a while and he's improved immeasurably in that time. I will always urge on a British competitor (or competitor representing Britain) to win against a non-British opponent. I ain't bothered whether he's the sort of bloke I'd have a pint with.

Whether it was Singapore-born Terry Butcher and the infamous blood-soaked headband, Australian born Tony Dorigo or any of South African born Allan Lamb, Kevin Petersen, Robin Smith or even Jamaican born Devon Malcolm.

But the Scottish and the English have always had a special kind of relationship going way back in history. Find me a Scotsman who would support a Englishman at anything because i have never come across one.

I would love Murray to get knocked out in the first round and everytime Scotland fail to qualify for a major football competition its a time to celebrate. I have the same feelings when it comes to bURY losing football matches also, its called rivalry.
Login to get fewer ads

Wimbledon on 18:07 - Jun 24 with 1494 viewsoff2div1

Thats Nadal gone well played Mr Darcis
Wimbledon on 18:24 - Jun 24 with 1480 viewsmacro

Wimbledon on 12:26 - Jun 24 by SuddenLad

Zola Budd, Kevin Pieterson etc etc
Wimbledon on 18:34 - Jun 24 with 1473 viewsSuddenLad

Wimbledon on 12:39 - Jun 24 by TalkingSutty

But the Scottish and the English have always had a special kind of relationship going way back in history. Find me a Scotsman who would support a Englishman at anything because i have never come across one.

I would love Murray to get knocked out in the first round and everytime Scotland fail to qualify for a major football competition its a time to celebrate. I have the same feelings when it comes to bURY losing football matches also, its called rivalry.

It might be rivalry when we play against each other, or when (for example) Dale's promotion depends on a specific result elsewhere, that's perfectly understandable. That directly affects the team we support.

When the outcome of another game (involving a team or an individual) doesn't affect or involve your preferred team it isn't the same thing. Wanting someone to lose simply for the sake of it isn't rivalry.

Wimbledon on 19:00 - Jun 24 with 1458 viewsD_Alien

Wimbledon on 18:07 - Jun 24 by off2div1

Thats Nadal gone well played Mr Darcis

So much for my prediction!

Murray for me now - don't like Djokovic, too machine-like.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Wimbledon on 21:21 - Jun 24 with 1418 viewsmodelboydave

Wimbledon on 19:00 - Jun 24 by D_Alien

Like Some have said d_alien

Boring and predictable...!

Wimbledon on 21:22 - Jun 24 with 1416 viewsolympicdale

Wimbledon on 19:00 - Jun 24 by D_Alien

I know what you mean there, Djokovic is a bit too soviet-like.

Life is a game of fate.

Wimbledon on 21:22 - Jun 24 with 1416 viewsTVOS1907

Wimbledon on 21:21 - Jun 24 by modelboydave

Dave, do you model yourself on Alan Biley?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Wimbledon on 21:27 - Jun 24 with 1323 viewsste1

I'll be going. Wimbledon is fantastic. One of the world's major sporting events and you can turn up on the day and pay twenty odd quid to get in.

Hope Murray wins but can't see beyond Djokovic.

On a pale blue dot

Wimbledon on 21:30 - Jun 24 with 1319 viewsD_Alien

Wimbledon on 21:21 - Jun 24 by modelboydave

Did they?

Who? And what?

Wimbledon on 08:12 - Jun 25 with 1271 viewsmodelboydave

Wimbledon on 21:30 - Jun 24 by D_Alien

Did they?

Who? And what?

D_alien

It was actually one of my Facebook friends that told me it was predictable, I was of course referring to the nadal result yesteryay. Although I'm sure a thread on here said it was boring as well....

Just off their now, hopefully the sun will shine and we might even get a few Brits through.

Wimbledon on 08:14 - Jun 25 with 1269 viewsmodelboydave

Wimbledon on 21:22 - Jun 24 by TVOS1907

Dave, do you model yourself on Alan Biley?

Sure do TVOS .

Remember been a lad and thinking when I grow up I want a mullet like that.
Hence my current style.

Wimbledon on 08:24 - Jun 25 with 1269 viewsTalkingSutty

Wimbledon on 18:34 - Jun 24 by SuddenLad

It might be rivalry when we play against each other, or when (for example) Dale's promotion depends on a specific result elsewhere, that's perfectly understandable. That directly affects the team we support.

When the outcome of another game (involving a team or an individual) doesn't affect or involve your preferred team it isn't the same thing. Wanting someone to lose simply for the sake of it isn't rivalry.

So when Australia play cricket (against anybody) you dont want them to lose ? I view Australia and Scotland the same when it comes to sport and why shouldnt i, they are our sporting rivals.

In a ideal world i want a Englishman/woman to win Wimbledon,if that doesnt happen i would want anybody but Murray to win because of the rivalry we have with Scotland.

I certainly wouldnt support him, just because he can hit a tennis ball doesnt get away from the fact that he is a very dull individual !!
Wimbledon on 08:50 - Jun 25 with 1263 viewsaleanddale

Wimbledon on 08:24 - Jun 25 by TalkingSutty

So when Australia play cricket (against anybody) you dont want them to lose ? I view Australia and Scotland the same when it comes to sport and why shouldnt i, they are our sporting rivals.

In a ideal world i want a Englishman/woman to win Wimbledon,if that doesnt happen i would want anybody but Murray to win because of the rivalry we have with Scotland.

I certainly wouldnt support him, just because he can hit a tennis ball doesnt get away from the fact that he is a very dull individual !!

Dull and a TIT.

Yep he was young but that Paraguay shirt did it for me.

He was badly advised but not sure he would have listened anyway!!
Wimbledon on 10:00 - Jun 25 with 1250 viewsD_Alien

Wimbledon on 08:12 - Jun 25 by modelboydave

D_alien

It was actually one of my Facebook friends that told me it was predictable, I was of course referring to the nadal result yesteryay. Although I'm sure a thread on here said it was boring as well....

Just off their now, hopefully the sun will shine and we might even get a few Brits through.

Sorry, I don't keep updated with your Facebook friends!

Hope the sun does shine for you but if it doesn't, I guess that'll just be boring and predictable.

*Edit: Actually, and with some delay, I've just got the irony of your first post - but got there in the end. Hope you see some great action.Let us know.

Wimbledon on 12:43 - Jun 25 with 1224 viewsdalenumber2

There certainly are some bitter and twisted people as well as inverted snobs on here. I've been to Wimbledon in the past and it's a great day out. As for Andy Murray well it would be nice to see him win his first Wimbledon - he has been doing so well this year he deserves it whatever his nationality or personality.
Wimbledon on 13:13 - Jun 25 with 1210 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

I find Pimms quite refreshing.

On the sports personality theme...I'm struggling to think of one person, current sportsman/woman, that could be considered having a personality.
Wimbledon on 20:26 - Jun 26 with 1146 viewsoff2div1

That's Federer gone well done Sergiy Stakhovsky.Could be because he didn't have his orange soled shoes
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024