Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Got my season ticket but.... 09:39 - May 31 with 8951 viewsG_Dale

The vouchers. No pie/pint/burger/drink. Outraged.
Shouldn't they have out a voucher in for the Radcliffe bar since they are landlords? Instead they have a frankie and Bennys voucher....Also got charged £4 for using my card still.

Poll: Dale player. Do you use it?

Got my season ticket but.... on 21:37 - May 31 with 2150 viewsDaleaholic

I buy a season ticket for the football. The vouchers are just a bonus to me.

Poll: What should happen with the 'Bowlee fund' money?

Got my season ticket but.... on 21:37 - May 31 with 2135 viewsBartRowou

Got my season ticket but.... on 21:12 - May 31 by TalkingSutty

There doesnt HAVE to be a four pound charge though, it cant be justified. It will be interesting to see if the club issue some sort of reasoning regarding this charge on debit cards because believe me what they are doing isnt right. The office of fair trading (OFT) have recently stated there is no justification for these charges and a lot of companies/traders have now dropped the charges.

At a time when the club want us to buy into the Summer draw tickets etc, they once again prove that when it comes to shooting themselves in the foot their expertise is unsurpassed.

We have a Supporters Trusts and everybody works hard to raise funds which are then channeled back into the club but still the fans are exploited for a little bit more,its a slap in the face.

Fans handing over hundreds of pounds for season tickets isnt enough,they even bleed them dry for a bit extra if they can. Team Rochdale
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

If it transpires that the club shouldn't have charged the extra £4 for season tickets, maybe they could reimburse supporters with a voucher for a pie and a drink. Here endeth the thread.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Got my season ticket but.... on 21:52 - May 31 with 2121 viewsTalkingSutty

Got my season ticket but.... on 21:37 - May 31 by BartRowou

If it transpires that the club shouldn't have charged the extra £4 for season tickets, maybe they could reimburse supporters with a voucher for a pie and a drink. Here endeth the thread.

With a lot of loyal season ticket holders its the principal really.
Got my season ticket but.... on 22:34 - May 31 with 2104 views442Dale

Got my season ticket but.... on 21:12 - May 31 by TalkingSutty

There doesnt HAVE to be a four pound charge though, it cant be justified. It will be interesting to see if the club issue some sort of reasoning regarding this charge on debit cards because believe me what they are doing isnt right. The office of fair trading (OFT) have recently stated there is no justification for these charges and a lot of companies/traders have now dropped the charges.

At a time when the club want us to buy into the Summer draw tickets etc, they once again prove that when it comes to shooting themselves in the foot their expertise is unsurpassed.

We have a Supporters Trusts and everybody works hard to raise funds which are then channeled back into the club but still the fans are exploited for a little bit more,its a slap in the face.

Fans handing over hundreds of pounds for season tickets isnt enough,they even bleed them dry for a bit extra if they can. Team Rochdale

We know that there are some at the club that read this forum (look at the 2013-14 kit mistake - corrected not long after the thread appeared), yet for some reason the posts on this subject haven't been noticed/addressed.

That it has been brought up at the office, and was apparently going to be mentioned to colleagues, should mean that something in the way of a conversation around the subject should have taken place.

Still no explanation yet though and it's all over such a low amount that shouldn't really be hard to get rid of, if only for decent PR and to prevent these threads from continually appearing.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Got my season ticket but.... on 11:43 - Jun 1 with 2023 viewsG_Dale

To save me trawling through the other thread/s, is this £4 now illegal or just cheeky and against 'advice'?

Got my season ticket but.... on 12:34 - Jun 1 with 1997 viewsdancdale

Got my season ticket but.... on 11:43 - Jun 1 by G_Dale

To save me trawling through the other thread/s, is this £4 now illegal or just cheeky and against 'advice'?

The law is that surcharges can only be made to recover costs incurred by a company to process a card payment.

OFT guideline amounts seem to be: transaction of £100- £2.10, £250- £4.94

So it seems the charge is reasonable- BUT, what the club should do is explain why they make this charge and where it goes to so fans dont feel like theyre being ripped off.

Well publicising the fact the charge will occur, is necessary, and explaining why, would solve the whole issue and probably just mean fans know in advance and get the cash out.
Got my season ticket but.... on 12:55 - Jun 1 with 1975 viewsKenBoon

Got my season ticket but.... on 12:34 - Jun 1 by dancdale

The law is that surcharges can only be made to recover costs incurred by a company to process a card payment.

OFT guideline amounts seem to be: transaction of £100- £2.10, £250- £4.94

So it seems the charge is reasonable- BUT, what the club should do is explain why they make this charge and where it goes to so fans dont feel like theyre being ripped off.

Well publicising the fact the charge will occur, is necessary, and explaining why, would solve the whole issue and probably just mean fans know in advance and get the cash out.

I'm pretty sure those figures are for credit card transactions. Debit card tends to be a fixed fee or a capped fee that rarely goes over 50p.
Got my season ticket but.... on 13:56 - Jun 1 with 1940 views442Dale

Is there a charge for buying a couple of hundred pounds worth of club shop products on a debit card?

Login to get fewer ads

Got my season ticket but.... on 14:17 - Jun 1 with 1926 viewsVespa

Got my season ticket but.... on 13:56 - May 31 by G_Dale

i dont understand the frankie and benny voucher. obviously i understand it gets you 20% off your food bill, but whys it in the season ticket book? you can go on any voucher code site and get this same 20% off at any time. wouldnt it of made more sense to do a free drink or something similar in the radclife? especially now that the club have the license for it.

in other news the woman in the office was nice and smiled and made me feel special

It's for those that can't be arsed going to the site or don't have access to a printer.

Genius idea, save loads of hassle.

Up the Dale, C'mon Hornets

Got my season ticket but.... on 14:58 - Jun 1 with 1901 viewsdancdale

Looked into it some more and it seems a individual debit card transaction should be costing the club about 20p. Unless they are factoring in some other related cost that has been averaged out and applied to the transaction (perhaps they pay for card machine rental or something)- then it would appear they are acting unlawfully.

I'd assume the club would be aware of this thread- it would be remiss if they didn't make some kind of statement given what is being discussed.

Got my season ticket but.... on 15:03 - Jun 1 with 1894 viewsSuddenLad

Got my season ticket but.... on 12:55 - Jun 1 by KenBoon

I'm pretty sure those figures are for credit card transactions. Debit card tends to be a fixed fee or a capped fee that rarely goes over 50p.

It seems clear enough............

http://www.out-law.com/en/topics/financial-services/payment-surcharges-regulatio

In other words, if the club are charged £4 per transaction by their card machine operator, they can legitimately charge the customer that amount.

If, however, the club are only charged (say) 20p per transaction then 20p is the maximum amount that they are entitled to 'pass on' to the customer at the point of sale. They are no longer allowed to 'profit' from the transaction where a debit or credit card is used specifically for that purchase.

That is exactly why the legislation was introduced. To stop people being 'ripped off' by ridiculously inflated charges.

For some reason there is always a slightly higher fee charged by issuers for transactions involving credit cards, but as the club don't accept them as a form of payment for season tickets, then it isn't an issue here.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Got my season ticket but.... on 16:47 - Jun 1 with 1839 viewslove_the_dale

The new regulations came in on 6th April - can't charge more than the cost to the business. See -

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2013/04/credit-and-debit-card-fee-cl
5 April 2013
Quote - “While transaction processing costs vary by provider, consumer group Which? has previously said it believes retailers pay no more than 20p for debit card transactions, and no more than 2% for transactions with credit cards.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22128692 13 April 2013
Quote - “The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) estimates this at about 2.5% on credit cards and about 50p on debit cards.”

Credit cards were not accepted for the purchase of season tickets. If using a debit card, Which? estimate the cost to be 20p, the OFT 50p.
Got my season ticket but.... on 16:59 - Jun 1 with 1827 viewsSuddenLad

Got my season ticket but.... on 16:47 - Jun 1 by love_the_dale

The new regulations came in on 6th April - can't charge more than the cost to the business. See -

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2013/04/credit-and-debit-card-fee-cl
5 April 2013
Quote - “While transaction processing costs vary by provider, consumer group Which? has previously said it believes retailers pay no more than 20p for debit card transactions, and no more than 2% for transactions with credit cards.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22128692 13 April 2013
Quote - “The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) estimates this at about 2.5% on credit cards and about 50p on debit cards.”

Credit cards were not accepted for the purchase of season tickets. If using a debit card, Which? estimate the cost to be 20p, the OFT 50p.

Exactly this.

The 20p cost is quoted by almost every consumer forum as being the normal charge for debit card transactions.

Supporters buying season tickets are being 'stung' for £4 for no good reason. It shouldn't be happening. It should be 20p and no more. No excuses.

Got my season ticket but.... on 17:00 - Jun 1 with 1830 views442Dale

Again, these links and discussions have been appearing for a few weeks on here, but that's it. We're going over the same ground time and again over 4 bloody quid. But it is indeed the principle.

They've had it brought to their attention in person, on here and yet we're still waiting. Over 4 quid. But it is indeed the principle.

The explaination could be perfectly understandable, if one was made. And it's all over 4 quid. Time for the club to illustrate that they too agree that the principle is indeed important.

Got my season ticket but.... on 17:56 - Jun 1 with 1792 viewsG_Dale

Got my season ticket but.... on 13:56 - Jun 1 by 442Dale

Is there a charge for buying a couple of hundred pounds worth of club shop products on a debit card?

As far as I know and in my experience, there is no charge for using a debit card in the club shop. Nor is there a minimum spend to use a card.

Got my season ticket but.... on 20:03 - Jun 1 with 1667 viewsTalkingSutty

Got my season ticket but.... on 17:00 - Jun 1 by 442Dale

Again, these links and discussions have been appearing for a few weeks on here, but that's it. We're going over the same ground time and again over 4 bloody quid. But it is indeed the principle.

They've had it brought to their attention in person, on here and yet we're still waiting. Over 4 quid. But it is indeed the principle.

The explaination could be perfectly understandable, if one was made. And it's all over 4 quid. Time for the club to illustrate that they too agree that the principle is indeed important.

There isnt a "perfectly understandable" explanation though, by suggesting that you are giving the club a get out clause.

They are exploiting fans for four pounds and to a lot of people including myself that isnt a trivial amount. You are right about the principal but even so four pound is still to be respected no matter what your personal financial position.

The silence is deafening because not all of us are willing to roll over and have our bellies tickled, the charge cant be defended and thats why nobody from the club is willing to commit their reasons to print.
Got my season ticket but.... on 20:25 - Jun 1 with 1649 views442Dale

Got my season ticket but.... on 20:03 - Jun 1 by TalkingSutty

There isnt a "perfectly understandable" explanation though, by suggesting that you are giving the club a get out clause.

They are exploiting fans for four pounds and to a lot of people including myself that isnt a trivial amount. You are right about the principal but even so four pound is still to be respected no matter what your personal financial position.

The silence is deafening because not all of us are willing to roll over and have our bellies tickled, the charge cant be defended and thats why nobody from the club is willing to commit their reasons to print.

That it is "only" or "not only" £4, is the very reason it is the principle that matters. Every decision, and especially when it comes to communicating with fans, should be made with an understanding of supporter opinion from different standpoints. That's how good PR works.

Got my season ticket but.... on 20:36 - Jun 1 with 1639 viewsTalkingSutty

Got my season ticket but.... on 20:25 - Jun 1 by 442Dale

That it is "only" or "not only" £4, is the very reason it is the principle that matters. Every decision, and especially when it comes to communicating with fans, should be made with an understanding of supporter opinion from different standpoints. That's how good PR works.

Correct, but things like this are counter productive because fans perceive the club as taking them for a ride so when it comes to buying draw tickets, golden gamble etc they think twice. Thats my mindset now and i bet i am not the only one. Greedy buggers !!
Got my season ticket but.... on 16:15 - Jun 3 with 1503 viewsfermin

Colin Garlick says that following a couple of email from supporters about the change in the law the club is taking the card charge up with the bank.
Got my season ticket but.... on 16:24 - Jun 3 with 1490 viewsSuddenLad

Got my season ticket but.... on 16:15 - Jun 3 by fermin

Colin Garlick says that following a couple of email from supporters about the change in the law the club is taking the card charge up with the bank.

As was mentioned previously, if the bank make a charge of £4 per transaction to Rochdale AFC (the retailer), then the club are quite entitled to pass that cost on to the customer. They must not PROFIT from card transactions. That is the crux of the matter.

That said, it is well accepted that most financial institutions will only charge retailers a fee of (average) 20p per debit card transaction and a maximum (average) of 50p for credit card transactions.

There is nothing to contact the bank for. The decision to charge supporters £4 is made by the club - NOT the bank.

The question is, how much have the bank been charging the club in relation to the card transactions, for which supporters are being charged £4 ?

Got my season ticket but.... on 17:31 - Jun 3 with 1454 viewsfermin

Got my season ticket but.... on 16:24 - Jun 3 by SuddenLad

As was mentioned previously, if the bank make a charge of £4 per transaction to Rochdale AFC (the retailer), then the club are quite entitled to pass that cost on to the customer. They must not PROFIT from card transactions. That is the crux of the matter.

That said, it is well accepted that most financial institutions will only charge retailers a fee of (average) 20p per debit card transaction and a maximum (average) of 50p for credit card transactions.

There is nothing to contact the bank for. The decision to charge supporters £4 is made by the club - NOT the bank.

The question is, how much have the bank been charging the club in relation to the card transactions, for which supporters are being charged £4 ?

Well, he did mention some charges to do with accepting bank cards but I can't remember exactly what they were off the top of my head.
Got my season ticket but.... on 17:37 - Jun 3 with 1448 views442Dale

Got my season ticket but.... on 17:31 - Jun 3 by fermin

Well, he did mention some charges to do with accepting bank cards but I can't remember exactly what they were off the top of my head.

But why is the charge not there in the club shop? Is there a £4 charge when buying tickets on a matchday? The explanation may indeed explain it all.

Got my season ticket but.... on 19:41 - Jun 3 with 1389 viewsTalkingSutty

Got my season ticket but.... on 17:31 - Jun 3 by fermin

Four pound charge for a debit card is robbery and it shouldnt be happening,i know that for a fact. Its about time the club started crediting the supporters with a bit of intelligence, when you pay for a meal with your debit card or buy a new suit do you get charged for using your card ?
Got my season ticket but.... on 19:49 - Jun 3 with 1377 viewsR17ALE

Got my season ticket but.... on 19:41 - Jun 3 by TalkingSutty

Four pound charge for a debit card is robbery and it shouldnt be happening,i know that for a fact. Its about time the club started crediting the supporters with a bit of intelligence, when you pay for a meal with your debit card or buy a new suit do you get charged for using your card ?

You've never bought a suit in your life!

Why don't fans just write a cheque instead and avoid the £4?

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Got my season ticket but.... on 19:50 - Jun 3 with 1377 viewsColDale

I contacted CG bout this at the weekend. I wasn't going to make the email public as he was going to get back to me at a later time, but given he pretty much said word for word in the online video I may as well. He said "We charge a standard amount on debit cards when selling season tickets as Cardnet charge us, we have terminal rentals, service charges as well as a % charge on transactions." He said that he had been contacted a couple of times, and as a result of that, they would be speaking to their contact at the bank to have these reviewed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024