Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
new manager at oldham 20:32 - Mar 17 with 2997 viewsRAFCRuss

official announcement tomorrow, according to twitter its lee johnson, gary johnsons son
new manager at oldham on 20:36 - Mar 17 with 2984 viewsTVOS1907

Sounds like a right muppet.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

new manager at oldham on 20:42 - Mar 17 with 2964 viewsRAFCRuss

will be intresting if it is true
new manager at oldham on 20:46 - Mar 17 with 2942 viewsSalwaDale

A brave appointment. Be interesting to see if it works.

We've had similar brave appointments. Most people seem to think the appointments of Eyre and Simpson didn't work. One or two people think they should have been given more time. Be interesting to see how it goes at Oldham.

TBBT

new manager at oldham on 11:57 - Mar 18 with 2739 viewsD_Alien

new manager at oldham on 20:46 - Mar 17 by SalwaDale

A brave appointment. Be interesting to see if it works.

We've had similar brave appointments. Most people seem to think the appointments of Eyre and Simpson didn't work. One or two people think they should have been given more time. Be interesting to see how it goes at Oldham.

If it does work out for the new manager (i.e. he keeps them up) that wouldn't necessarily mean that if we'd given the likes of Eyre more time that we'd have had a better outcome.

What it does mean is that appointing an inexperienced manager is an absolute shot in the dark - we got lucky with KH in 2006/7 but unlucky with Eyre. For me, that's 1-1 for "new to management" appointments by CD.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

new manager at oldham on 13:01 - Mar 18 with 2627 viewsolympicdale

this is a huge risk by Oldham, clearly they're f*cked financially and going for the cheap option, be interesting to see how this works out.

Life is a game of fate.

new manager at oldham on 13:52 - Mar 18 with 2540 viewspioneer

new manager at oldham on 11:57 - Mar 18 by D_Alien

If it does work out for the new manager (i.e. he keeps them up) that wouldn't necessarily mean that if we'd given the likes of Eyre more time that we'd have had a better outcome.

What it does mean is that appointing an inexperienced manager is an absolute shot in the dark - we got lucky with KH in 2006/7 but unlucky with Eyre. For me, that's 1-1 for "new to management" appointments by CD.

Difference was KH was already within the club, knew it inside out and the club knew him - no surprises. SE was a complete outsider in every meaning of the word. No one knew him, he didnt know the club a real 'shot in the dark' - never to be repeated hopefully.

So I dont think its as simple as 1-1 for new to management.
new manager at oldham on 14:16 - Mar 18 with 2511 viewsD_Alien

new manager at oldham on 13:52 - Mar 18 by pioneer

Difference was KH was already within the club, knew it inside out and the club knew him - no surprises. SE was a complete outsider in every meaning of the word. No one knew him, he didnt know the club a real 'shot in the dark' - never to be repeated hopefully.

So I dont think its as simple as 1-1 for new to management.

What you've just posted isn't any different to what I've posted quite recently regarding KH's original appointment - its not as if I didn't realise the difference between him and Eyre.

I wasn't trying to resuscitate the debate about CD's appointments, I was just adding to WiganDale's point about how "new to management" appointments can be a gamble (which of course he realises too).

I wish posters would sometimes take a broader view when replying, instead of assuming the poster they're replying to was somehow ignorant of the point. We can't cover every angle of an issue in every post or they'd all be too long to read!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

new manager at oldham on 14:30 - Mar 18 with 2490 viewsColDale

new manager at oldham on 13:01 - Mar 18 by olympicdale

this is a huge risk by Oldham, clearly they're f*cked financially and going for the cheap option, be interesting to see how this works out.

I'd have thought that given 2 televised games, 2 sell outs at BP and the trip to Goodison that Oldham would be somewhat rolling in it right now. All of that will be above and beyond what was budgeted for and it might add up to being close to an extra million quid in the coffers. I can't see it that they've got all this extra cash and are still broke.

Login to get fewer ads

new manager at oldham on 15:59 - Mar 18 with 2385 viewsChaffRAFC

new manager at oldham on 14:30 - Mar 18 by ColDale

I'd have thought that given 2 televised games, 2 sell outs at BP and the trip to Goodison that Oldham would be somewhat rolling in it right now. All of that will be above and beyond what was budgeted for and it might add up to being close to an extra million quid in the coffers. I can't see it that they've got all this extra cash and are still broke.

Not sure about that Col, the appointment of Johnson is quite a shocking appointment, not meant as in an awful appointment, but meant as in genuinely being shocked by it. The names mentioned as being in the frame were all understandable and yeah, there were quite a few inexperienced former players included in that such as Nicky Butt but to then go and appoint a completely inexperienced man who's had nothing to do with the club, to me, sounds like a very cheap option. You can sometimes understand there being a buzz about an inexperienced manager if they're a well known figure in English football. I'd put Simpson in that bracket to a certain extent. So talk of Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes etc could have opened a few eyes and given the club a little bit of a lift but to appoint a 31 year old who's only really ever played at lower league level and who's only link to football management is his Dad and has had no link to Oldham is staggering to me.

If that had been us, I'd have been so underwhelmed and wanting answers. It certainly wont help matters and I imagine that when you add this to them losing Furman and that other lad this week, they'll be practically suicidal over at Boundary Park.

Staggering.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

new manager at oldham on 16:40 - Mar 18 with 2330 viewsD_Dale

Now he's announced he's available, there's still time for the Biffoes to give the job to .......................................... Graham Westley!

"So far, I have won promotions into the Conference, into League Two, and into League One as well as various cup successes. I want to go on and win promotion into the Championship and then into the Premier League. I am realistic enough to know that I may have to drop back into League Two and work with a sleeping giant to achieve that by winning a League Two promotion again."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2294369/The-Footballers-Footba
new manager at oldham on 16:44 - Mar 18 with 2317 viewsolympicdale

new manager at oldham on 15:59 - Mar 18 by ChaffRAFC

Not sure about that Col, the appointment of Johnson is quite a shocking appointment, not meant as in an awful appointment, but meant as in genuinely being shocked by it. The names mentioned as being in the frame were all understandable and yeah, there were quite a few inexperienced former players included in that such as Nicky Butt but to then go and appoint a completely inexperienced man who's had nothing to do with the club, to me, sounds like a very cheap option. You can sometimes understand there being a buzz about an inexperienced manager if they're a well known figure in English football. I'd put Simpson in that bracket to a certain extent. So talk of Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes etc could have opened a few eyes and given the club a little bit of a lift but to appoint a 31 year old who's only really ever played at lower league level and who's only link to football management is his Dad and has had no link to Oldham is staggering to me.

If that had been us, I'd have been so underwhelmed and wanting answers. It certainly wont help matters and I imagine that when you add this to them losing Furman and that other lad this week, they'll be practically suicidal over at Boundary Park.

Staggering.

I'm still shocked at this decision, as said if it was us, I would want to know why someone with no connection to the club, and no managerial experience whatsoever, would be appointed, and how it came about. If I was an Oldham fan I would demand answers, this is just the time when some experience is needed, Johnson faces being another "one of the boys" not the old head they need to get out of the mess they're in. Amazing really.

Life is a game of fate.

new manager at oldham on 20:07 - Mar 18 with 2176 viewsSalwaDale

new manager at oldham on 16:44 - Mar 18 by olympicdale

I'm still shocked at this decision, as said if it was us, I would want to know why someone with no connection to the club, and no managerial experience whatsoever, would be appointed, and how it came about. If I was an Oldham fan I would demand answers, this is just the time when some experience is needed, Johnson faces being another "one of the boys" not the old head they need to get out of the mess they're in. Amazing really.

I'd actually be thinking "wow, this guy must have really impressed in the interview" and I'd be really excited.

But then I'm always excited when we get a new manager, always positive and hopeful it will work out well.

TBBT

new manager at oldham on 20:13 - Mar 18 with 2164 viewsolympicdale

new manager at oldham on 20:07 - Mar 18 by SalwaDale

I'd actually be thinking "wow, this guy must have really impressed in the interview" and I'd be really excited.

But then I'm always excited when we get a new manager, always positive and hopeful it will work out well.

We thought that way about Steve Eyre. Im sure he must have impressed the oldham board, course it could be all smoke and mirrors. I would be concerned, they're still within distance of staying up, but this could tip them over the edge, surely its too much of a gamble given their situation, on the other hand its good to see someone new get a chance, but i cant imagine there wasn't someone experienced on the list of potential successors to Dickov.

Life is a game of fate.

new manager at oldham on 20:20 - Mar 18 with 2150 views442Dale

new manager at oldham on 16:40 - Mar 18 by D_Dale

Now he's announced he's available, there's still time for the Biffoes to give the job to .......................................... Graham Westley!

"So far, I have won promotions into the Conference, into League Two, and into League One as well as various cup successes. I want to go on and win promotion into the Championship and then into the Premier League. I am realistic enough to know that I may have to drop back into League Two and work with a sleeping giant to achieve that by winning a League Two promotion again."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2294369/The-Footballers-Footba

That interview is ridiculous.

How were his hands tied after he made it clear from day one he wanted to make wholesale changes? He did that... then made some more. Their side changed week after week with so many forwards it was impossible to keep track of them all (Elding still there?), and a year after going on about problems in the dressing room, there were still problems in the dressing room!

Would rather have any number of our managerial disappointments back before ever seeing that idiot in charge at Dale.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

new manager at oldham on 20:25 - Mar 18 with 2142 viewsolympicdale

new manager at oldham on 20:20 - Mar 18 by 442Dale

How were his hands tied after he made it clear from day one he wanted to make wholesale changes? He did that... then made some more. Their side changed week after week with so many forwards it was impossible to keep track of them all (Elding still there?), and a year after going on about problems in the dressing room, there were still problems in the dressing room!

Would rather have any number of our managerial disappointments back before ever seeing that idiot in charge at Dale.

Graham Westley for Accy............

Life is a game of fate.

new manager at oldham on 21:27 - Mar 18 with 2081 viewsTVOS1907

new manager at oldham on 20:20 - Mar 18 by 442Dale

He has a column in the Football League Paper every Sunday.

It's all about how great he is and how he speaks on the phone and in person to the likes of Ferguson, Rodgers, etc.

It's ace!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024